Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

that's just an example, could be an invoice number, whatever.
i used to work with textbook publishing and had a sheet of 13 digit ISBN's + book titles and this poo poo drove me up the wall every day :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

I know that it can be frustrating entering values and having this happen. We are investigating what we can do to make this better.  You can help by Voting for this issue. For now, you can select a range and format as text prior to entering the bar codes / id numbers. -Eric [Microsoft]

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

I know that it can be frustrating entering values and having this happen. We are investigating what we can do to make this better. 

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

We are investigating what we can do to make this better. 

you can stop investigating, don't loving do it. full. stop.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

sometimes I wonder if microsoft even knows that most of the stuff people put in spreadsheets isn't numbers

you can stop investigating, don't loving do it. full. stop.

it may be literally impossible to fix if the right vp or product manager has a strong opinion about it

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

qirex posted:

sometimes I wonder if microsoft even knows that most of the stuff people put in spreadsheets isn't numbers

it may be literally impossible to fix if the right vp or product manager has a strong opinion about it

see also: outlook and ctrl f

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

get votin'
https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/...umbers-actually

e: currently the 3rd highest voted entry on that site
#1 is python as an alternative to vba lmao

pram
Jun 10, 2001
microsoft bad

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

pram posted:

microsoft bad

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

pram posted:

microsoft bad

So if Microsoft Bad fails, will that make Microsoft good?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

pram posted:

microsoft bad
no it's microsoft band

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

dont be mean to me posted:

So if Microsoft Bad fails, will that make Microsoft good?

Microsoft Worse 2019 collector's edition

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

anthonypants posted:

it qualifies as “literally anything else” so I guess I’m for it

pram
Jun 10, 2001
remember when microsoft band was SOLD OUT everywhere and whoa mama, redmonds got a real sleeper hit here! and then they permanently ceased production like a year later. lol

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

hobbesmaster posted:

it qualifies as “literally anything else” so I guess I’m for it
there's one for powershell too but it's nowhere near top 10

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

ran in to this one IRL today

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln306701/slow-performance-issues-in-excel-when-opening-saved-files?lang=en

You may see an issue when you try to open a saved (Hard Drive, USB Drive, Network Drive...) Excel spreadsheet and it may take 1-2 minutes before you will see the Excel splash screen when the file opens. This behavior should not happen if you open a new Excel spreadsheet and then open a saved Excel spreadsheet.

The best solution to resolve this behavior, is to disable the Waves MaxxAudio Service Application (Publisher Waves Audio Ltd.) service.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

one of those questions had better be "why the gently caress does excel insist on displaying any large (cc number for example) as scientific notation and why the gently caress can i not turn that behavior off"

that was in there but unbelievably "has anyone ever in the history of this program existing ever pasted in data with formatting except by accident?" was not

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

LastInLine posted:

that was in there but unbelievably "has anyone ever in the history of this program existing ever pasted in data with formatting except by accident?" was not

yes but only if it’s another excel document

burning swine
May 26, 2004

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

The best solution to resolve this behavior, is to disable the Waves MaxxAudio Service Application (Publisher Waves Audio Ltd.) service.

lmao burn that poo poo to the ground

same terrible software that turbofucked the audio on my xps15 2 weeks ago

e: from the dell article

quote:

Note: All the audio should still work fine and the MaxxAudio application will load. However, there is no way to remove the service or application.

The service will re-enable after rebooting and will have to be disabled each time.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
windows :razz:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

one of those questions had better be "why the gently caress does excel insist on displaying any large (cc number for example) as scientific notation and why the gently caress can i not turn that behavior off"

setting the number format of the cells to text not working? (and if this is what you always want, making a template where you preset all cells as such) :confused:

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

setting the number format of the cells to text not working? (and if this is what you always want, making a template where you preset all cells as such) :confused:

hang on let me janitor my spreadsheet because microsoft assumes scientific notation is a thing that people want by default

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

hang on let me janitor my spreadsheet because microsoft assumes scientific notation is a thing that people want by default

i strongly suspect this is one of those things that will break some tenured professors' workflows so microsoft won't change it

would be nice if they at least made it a checkbox you could change somewhere though, drat

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

it's a weird default to be sure, considering excel is almost only a business tool and not a scientific computing tool

i guess it could be the latter but i wouldn't want to be the poor sod who'd have to use it for that. again.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I hate the way excel just silently loses precision past a certain number size, but never throws a warning or anything at you. but will bitch about what it thinks are numbered values stored in a text formatted cell.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

anthonypants posted:

to be fair that would be pretty slick if done well

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

akadajet posted:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

akadajet posted:

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Chris Knight posted:

I hate the way excel just silently loses precision past a certain number size, but never throws a warning or anything at you. but will bitch about what it thinks are numbered values stored in a text formatted cell.

here's a fun exercise:

paste in a large number that would cause excel to display it in SN

format the cell to be a text field

the cell still displays the SN but if you click the cell the value is displayed correctly

and another:

paste in a large number with more than two numbers to the right of the decimal point (9999999999999.123456)

excel converts it to SN and truncates it to 2 decimal places without warning and there is no getting it back, that precision is gone.

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo
my roommate's laptop just spontaneously rebooted without warning in order to install the update lmao

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

akadajet posted:

datanitro has been doing it well for like 5 years now

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

here's a fun exercise:

the cell still displays the SN but if you click the cell the value is displayed correctly

and another:

paste in a large number with more than two numbers to the right of the decimal point (9999999999999.123456)

excel converts it to SN and truncates it to 2 decimal places without warning and there is no getting it back, that precision is gone.

this never would have happened with lotus 1-2-3

i have never used lotus 1-2-3 so it almost certainly would have also happened with lotus 1-2-3

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ck5RbTQj28

now with (1) usb-c port!

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

here's a fun exercise:

and another:

a colleague of mine pointed out (when I explained this to him) that it's the limit of double precision for 64-bit floating points. You can have 15 numbers and a decimal point, no more no less. well I guess you could have less.

univbee posted:

this never would have happened with lotus 1-2-3

i have never used lotus 1-2-3 so it almost certainly would have also happened with lotus 1-2-3

the last version of 1-2-3 was in 32 bit so you could have even fewer numbers. I think. I am not a CS-person.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

who would ever want their computer to look for them???

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

yes but only if it’s another excel document

holy poo poo thats literally the logic they used why didnt i see that earlier

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

https://twitter.com/VG247/status/920987400632971264

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

so much for not devaluing the Xbox brand

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Fatal Error posted:

my roommate's laptop just spontaneously rebooted without warning in order to install the update lmao

It warned me like... 6 times?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Dodoman posted:

It warned me like... 6 times?

it warned me once but didn't update

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

well i

quote:

starts at £1549