Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Presidents of the USA own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Some time ago I prognosticated that the NBN was going to be the albatross that cut through the political miasma and sunk Malformed Turdball for good. There was some considerable resistance to the notion from pundits in the thread. My cheif response is that it is only starting to bite and will soon (before the next election) start to impact even more Australian's directly. From mandatory disconnects to wireless only plans and fibre conections being slower than ADSL2 this could probably not have been handled worse if there was actually a government department called loving Up Our Already Gimped NBN Further (FUOAGNBNF). A very stinky albatross indeed.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-18/nbn-complaints-to-tio-surge-in-last-financial-year/9058336

quote:

More and more users of the National Broadband Network (NBN) are unhappy with their service and are protesting in record numbers.

Key points:

In the 2016-17 financial year, the TIO received 27,195 complaints about NBN services
That's up from 10,487 in the previous financial year
The NBN said the increase was being taken seriously but it represented only 1 per cent of connected homes
Complaints have increased a whopping 160 per cent, with more than 27,000 reports lodged with the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman (TIO) in the last financial year.

"It's a worrying sign," ombudsman Judi Jones conceded.

Ms Jones said the increase in NBN complaints was expected as the rollout ramped up — however in the last half of the financial year, dissatisfied consumers outstripped the rate of rollout.

From January to June this year, NBN issues reported to the TIO quadrupled.

According to the annual TIO report, nearly 10,000 homes were left without useable internet or landline due to the NBN rollout in the 2016-2017 financial year.

I realise people are not rational actors but if you were ever going to change your vote and didn't normally give a rats arse about politics I can see this being a personal issue for many voters.

I mean Turnbull is pretty much hosed in any case but the NBN may prove to be a reverse Tampa.

Recoome posted:

Grab her by the mango tree
Adds a whole new layer of terror to the already incredibly creepy duo that is Angus and Julia Stone(fruit).

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

freebooter posted:

Yeah, that's the other thing - even if houses aren't overpriced apartments definitely are, which just goes on the pile of reasons I'm not sensibly going to actually buy right now.

I guess what I mean is, now it's financially viable, I can finally understand why so many people feel the urge to buy just to "get in the market" and also that "rent money is dead money." It's one thing to call bullshit on that when I was 22 and eating beans in a sharehouse. Now that I'm 28 and I could just pay a couple hundred bucks extra a week compared to what I pay in rent, the lure of actually paying down equity and theoretically building a financial future is attractive and I suddenly understand why older people were always banging on about it. I mean, in the current system it's a lie, but you see where they're coming from.

And yeah I would totally never buy a modern apartment. I live in a 1950s art deco block in St Kilda and it's loving great. Apart from aesthetics (which nobody else in the world seems to care about) older apartments have soooo much more space. It's baffling to me that while houses have grown huge, apartments have shrunk. I guess it's because Australians don't actually think of apartments as anything other than investments to be rented to Chinese students.

I'm in a similar situation, I'm going to wait it out for a bit longer and resist the societal pressure to buy. Also yes, modern apartments are terrible compared to the early - mid century 3-4 story blocks around Melbourne. We rented an awesome spacious one in East Melbourne but it was too close to Hoddle st and the traffic noise wore us down over time.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Should do Amoeba by the Adolescents.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I had the luxury of being able to do English Lit in my 2002 TEE do-over in WA, and holy poo poo was it the best thing I ever did. I went from having the language skills of a typical year 10/tafe dropout to being able to write and articulate at a university level on the strength of that alone. The kind of linguistic skills you learn from textual analysis vs just doing exercises can't be overstated. You also gain the ability to read subtext, nuance, subtle themes and various other softer skills that you won't learn from the standard English classes.

If we're doing our jobs properly, literature should be the default for English as a First Language students in years 11 and 12 - not a somewhat indulgent chill zone for the smartest kids in the year group who're just killing time to get into University. By the time kids get to year 12 they should posses a suitable enough understanding of English that they can focus on those more advanced (and frankly, useful) skills of analysis, interpretation and understanding. It pisses me off that we have to keep lowering the bar because we're not doing a good enough job at getting kids where they need to be at to be considerate, articulate and inquisitive members of society.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

You Am I posted:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-19/james-merlino-move-to-prevent-euthanasia-fails/

My local State MP (and Labor Deputy Leader) tried to stop the Assisted Dying bill to be debated in Parliament, which would've prevented the bill from being voted on.

Bloody idiot.

So I was in the Speaker's Gallery for this, with a few other people, including a couple of priests behind me who would. Not. Shut. Up. Before that amendment, Richard Wynne was speaking about his dead Catholic mother, and how, if she was alive, she would have supported the Bill. One of the priests snorted and said loudly "fat chance", at which point I turned around and asked him to show some respect.

I swear to God this next part actually happened.

The one who made the comment hissed at me. Like a cat. Loudly. This is a real thing that actually happened. The other priest tried to kind of laugh it off as a joke, but saw I wasn't smiling or laughing and awkwardly patted the hissing one on the knee and told him to calm down.

*~respectful debate~*

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Whitlam posted:

So I was in the Speaker's Gallery for this, with a few other people, including a couple of priests behind me who would. Not. Shut. Up. Before that amendment, Richard Wynne was speaking about his dead Catholic mother, and how, if she was alive, she would have supported the Bill. One of the priests snorted and said loudly "fat chance", at which point I turned around and asked him to show some respect.

I swear to God this next part actually happened.

The one who made the comment hissed at me. Like a cat. Loudly. This is a real thing that actually happened. The other priest tried to kind of laugh it off as a joke, but saw I wasn't smiling or laughing and awkwardly patted the hissing one on the knee and told him to calm down.

*~respectful debate~*

I know how to react to this! I have two cats!

You needed to puff your hair and tail up really big and hiss back!

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Milky Moor posted:

My guess: it's simplistic with an unearned sense of profundity and resists deeper analysis, which makes it very boring. Just look at the number of people in this very thread who read it purely as a poem about boys eating mangoes. It's a step up from Rupi Kaur, sure, but not by much.

There's a few lines about eating mangoes but that doesn't mean the poem's about eating mangoes. I think your difficulty is because you're focusing too much on those lines to the exclusion of the rest of the poem

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Don Dongington posted:

If we're doing our jobs properly, literature should be the default for English as a First Language students in years 11 and 12 - not a somewhat indulgent chill zone for the smartest kids in the year group who're just killing time to get into University. By the time kids get to year 12 they should posses a suitable enough understanding of English that they can focus on those more advanced (and frankly, useful) skills of analysis, interpretation and understanding. It pisses me off that we have to keep lowering the bar because we're not doing a good enough job at getting kids where they need to be at to be considerate, articulate and inquisitive members of society.

Lemme tell you about the need for a mandatory philosophy (and scientific literacy) course in high school... 1/5684

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I did really bad in TEE English until I stopped giving a poo poo about all the rules of essay structure and formal language they taught us and just wrote how I felt.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

can somebody easily explain to me why we should have mandatory philosophy in high school

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

How else are we going to teach kids about Ayn Rand and the power of objectivism?

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Les Affaires posted:

can somebody easily explain to me why we should have mandatory philosophy in high school

Teaches critical thinking and gives you the basic building blocks for writing an argument in an essay.

Also, ethics is pretty important even if you're never going to Uni.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Philosophy is the only academic subject that I objectively hate.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

HookShot posted:

You can get some interesting thought puzzles in first year but after that it's reading 3000 page essays by philosophers who I'm pretty sure could've summed up their ideas in about 30.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

(the answer is so we can answer that question) :ninja:

also philosophy owns

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I did a first year philosophy class at uni and in at they proceeded to give us the logical proof that God definitely exists and also is malevolent. Only kept going to the tutes because of a cute girl.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Philosophy is the only academic subject. Everything else is just applied philosophy.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Senor Tron posted:

I did a first year philosophy class at uni and in at they proceeded to give us the logical proof that God definitely exists and also is malevolent. Only kept going to the tutes because of a cute girl.

You know, I think most philosophers would approve of that approach.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Les Affaires posted:

It's the basis of making sound, logical arguments and thinking critically. That said, it's not a great topic for scientific literacy but I can't think of one better that isn't just outright science.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Les Affaires posted:

It's basically literary analysis, but for information and arguments. The idea is that you want to teach students the tools to understand how society conceptualises problems, and frames arguments and ethical dilemmas (often through the analysis of contemporary media). So Think of the ABC show The Checkout, but covering a broader range of subjects. The goal is to encourage people to more thoroughly think through problems, and to look at the whole rather than (as it is often presented) one side and viewpoint of an argument. The hope is that it will improve self-confidence, empathy for others, and lead to more informative decision making.

Tokamak fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Oct 19, 2017

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I did a degree in Philosophy but that was mostly so I wouldn't go insane staring at computer code all day while doing my other degree in Computer Science.

Was really helpful in learning how to write essays and also is a wonderful "in" with job interviews since nobody can every get their head around the combination.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

iajanus posted:

Was really helpful in learning how to write essays and also is a wonderful "in" with job interviews since nobody can every get their head around the combination.

It's funny because science and philosophy were historically the same thing.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Well yeah, PhD is a philosophy doctorate because it's basically 'I argued and backed up something new' and that means it's classically philosophical.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Tokamak posted:

It's funny because science and philosophy were historically the same thing.

My degree in Philosophy is actually a Bachelor of Science majoring in Philosophy ;)

Even my course adviser had trouble believing the Uni actually accepted it as a major.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I thought most unis did that? Where I went you could do philosophy as part of either a BA or BSc.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Philosophy class is cool until your kid runs away to join the world's most boring cult.

quote:

One day eight years ago, :420:Weed :420:came home to see a note on her doormat from her son. It said he was moving in with a friend and it instructed her not to contact him.

About six months before that, she had heard him listening to podcasts in his room. It all started with a school assignment for his Critical Thinking & Philosophy class. That led him to a YouTube video called “Introduction to Philosophy.”

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

open24hours posted:

I thought most unis did that? Where I went you could do philosophy as part of either a BA or BSc.

I'm sure they do, but I don't think anyone really takes up the BSc version so it remained a constant for the time I was there I had to remind people that it was actually allowed.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I nearly topped my school in HS English when i stopped trying to do reasoned analysis and instead wrote a bunch of meaningless wanky bullshit. My marks improved measurably when I stopped trying and started bullshitting.

This has left me without much faith in the marking structure of HS english.

The only question is, when analysing Peaches by the Presidents of the United States of america, do I take it as talking about corn subsidies and the destruction of productive farming, the blighting of rural areas with endemic drug addiction or about the industrialisation of the commodification of womens bodies by the media and the unrealistic expectations that sets for teenage boys?

Or maybe it's just a loving song a guy wrote while waiting for a girl under a peach tree.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
I think it was actually intended as a PSA to get kids to eat more fruit

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

HookShot posted:

Not an emptyquote (I studied psych which for a lot of the time felt like 'philosophy, except you can loving apply it to people')

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Nothing is about the thing it's explicitly about.

Baby got back by Sir Mix-a-lot is actually about the best way to cook and serve a side of beef. I can't imagine what kind of pleb would take a literal reading of the text.

:scoff.gif:

EDIT: It's me, I'm the one that's still mad about HS english.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

hooman posted:

I nearly topped my school in HS English when i stopped trying to do reasoned analysis and instead wrote a bunch of meaningless wanky bullshit. My marks improved measurably when I stopped trying and started bullshitting.

This has left me without much faith in the marking structure of HS english.

I went a step further on a suggestion from the teacher. I memorised and regurgitated the relevant exemplary examples for the essay section, and only wrote an intro paragraph addressing the actual question. It turns out that writing as many pages of bullshit as possible maximises your potential result.

Coucho Marx posted:

Not an emptyquote (I studied psych which for a lot of the time felt like 'philosophy, except you can loving apply it to people')

It's bad if it's really dry and analytic. Good philosophy is basically just an excuse to talk about the ethics of interesting topics like weapons research and human experimentation. Or learning about the dumb things old philosophers thought, like Descartes thought animals were machines and Plato thought a perfect being ate it's own poop.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Don Dongington posted:

I had the luxury of being able to do English Lit in my 2002 TEE do-over in WA, and holy poo poo was it the best thing I ever did. I went from having the language skills of a typical year 10/tafe dropout to being able to write and articulate at a university level on the strength of that alone. The kind of linguistic skills you learn from textual analysis vs just doing exercises can't be overstated. You also gain the ability to read subtext, nuance, subtle themes and various other softer skills that you won't learn from the standard English classes.

loving this. Ability to analyse language is part of your Citizen Survival Kit. Without that skill, you're prey to whatever games Power want to play with you. Power clothes itself in jargon to blunt its real intentions. It's why politicians use obscure words to talk about simple things. It's why business/economic jargon uses "externalities" to mean "gently caress everyone else, they can deal with it".

Next to mandatory civics, mandatory English Lit, no excuses. (just don't believe their poo poo about Tolkien, they're mad about no sex in novels).

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Being analytic is kind of the point. You can start out with nice discussion but eventually you're going to have to write it up and defend your views.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

ewe2 posted:

loving this. Ability to analyse language is part of your Citizen Survival Kit. Without that skill, you're prey to whatever games Power want to play with you. Power clothes itself in jargon to blunt its real intentions. It's why politicians use obscure words to talk about simple things. It's why business/economic jargon uses "externalities" to mean "gently caress everyone else, they can deal with it".

Next to mandatory civics, mandatory English Lit, no excuses. (just don't believe their poo poo about Tolkien, they're mad about no sex in novels).

I agree with you but this isn't how lit was marked, at least at my school.

I did an in depth analysis of a documentary on shoe manufacture and how the filmmaker presented the information to induce bias in the viewer, glossing over information that didn't support their thesis and quite explicity excluding other information which was visible to the viewer in the images of the documentary but never mentioned. I worked loving hard on that, and I got a poo poo mark. I banged on about phallic symbols, descent into hell and rape analogies and forgot the name of the main character and referred to them as "the main character" and got a great mark. It was at that point I said gently caress this, and dropped from lit to english. Used Political and Legal studies as my humanties subject since my marks were good enough in that.

Lit was a total crock of poo poo, even then I was a strong technical writer and a very good debater but if you weren't writing what the teacher wanted to read you were poo poo out of luck.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

ewe2 posted:

What do they say about Tolkien?

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
https://twitter.com/TraceySpicer/status/920402701124431872

:f5:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Also lol at mandatory civics. At my high school mandatory civics class they tried to teach us AIDS was a gay only issue and we straight white boys didn't need to worry about it.

EDIT: I'm not trying to poo poo on you guys, I agree these are all good ideas, but the implementation of most of them at the moment is loving horrible. More critical thinking skills for people is important but holy poo poo was it taught to me all wrong.

hooman fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Oct 19, 2017

• Locked thread