Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Fintilgin posted:

You have a new category of leaders called 'Diplomats' or something, and you just assign them to other empires or projects like you do with diplomats in EUIV or your council in CKII.

Spock gets assigned as a diplomat to the Blog

"What is this 'Livejournal?' It seems... highly illogical."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Oh, man, a Vicky 3 in the line of the more modern Paradox games would be so great and I really hope that's what they're working on.

Lemon Head
Nov 6, 2010
Paradox, why do you play games with my heart? https://twitter.com/pdxinteractive/status/920663791410515969

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Spoiler - Vicky II is on sale :geno:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I want paradox to make Imperialism 3. Still turn based but given some grand strategy character.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

COOL CORN posted:

Part of me is hoping that's also part of the pre-release hype for a V3 announcement.

The rest of me knows hope is a lie.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

uhhhh im so excited

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

V3 will never live up to our expectations, it's better than they never make it and keep that pure perfect idea in our heads.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Are we going to need a new thread title?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Baronjutter posted:

V3 will never live up to our expectations, it's better than they never make it and keep that pure perfect idea in our heads.

lol if you get hype for any game after Spore

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Oh gently caress you Paradox media team, you can't keep playing games with my heart like this :mad:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
:lol: guys, c'mon

They're never going to spontaneously announce a new major title on twitter. There will be media build up well in advance.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

COOL CORN posted:

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Farecoal posted:

lol if you get hype for any game after Spore

Man, don’t even get me started on Spore. That game even had an honest-to-god National Geographic documentary made about it pre-release!

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Fintilgin posted:

:lol: guys, c'mon

They're never going to spontaneously announce a new major title on twitter. There will be media build up well in advance.

That tweet was the buildup. Duh!

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Putting V2 on sale does send a low-key signal that V3's coming. If there's an announcement for it soon it won't be a surprise at any rate.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
How does it send a signal that V3 is coming? This isn't even the first time this year that Victoia 2 has been on sale...

edit: redundant words were redundant.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Oct 19, 2017

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Psychotic Weasel posted:

How does it send a signal that V3 is coming? This isn't even the first time this year that Victoia 2 has been on sale this year...

An individual sale is not the same as a publisher sale or a seasonal sale. This is just Victoria 2, and when a new game in a franchise is announced or about to released it's not uncommon for publishers to put the previous instalments on sale.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Psychotic Weasel posted:

How does it send a signal that V3 is coming? This isn't even the first time this year that Victoia 2 has been on sale this year...

It's in morse

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Psychotic Weasel posted:

well assuming they're not asshats they wouldn't have preceeded it with a tweet like that.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
From Steam's news feed history thing, the game was last on sale during the summer sale and was a daily deal back in February, prior to that it was a daily deal in April 2016. Nothing came of them either.

Steamdb's price history shows the game has been on sale 23 times in the past 2 years with 9 or 10 of them looking like weekend or daily deals... I really wouldn't get my hopes up that anything would come of this and I wouldn't put it beyond the devs to just screw with people for kicks. Would it be nice? Sure. But don't hold your breath.

And think of how pleasantly surprised you'll be if/when they do get around to announcing it.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Stairmaster posted:

well assuming they're not asshats they wouldn't have preceeded it with a tweet like that.

Dude, this is the company where devs wear fake Rome II tshirts to media events. Don't assume anything. :lol:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

Why not? EU4 and CK2 did.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Conversely, HoI4 and Stellaris didn't....

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Crazycryodude posted:

Conversely, HoI4 and Stellaris didn't....

I can't imagine ever expecting a 4X to be good so I won't comment on stellaris, but HOI4 was amazing compared to hoi3

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

all hoi4 needs is a different air or naval system and i'd defend it till the end of time.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Stellaris and HOI4 are only disappointments relative to what came immediately before them. Those are still by far the third and fourth best games Paradox has ever put out. And the micromanagement in Stellaris has nothing on HOI2 or Vicky 2 especially when those games were as early in their post-release development as Stellaris and HOI 4 are.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The viral marketing will be an AR campaign where the full stops in Johan's tweets will be a code you have to decipher through a difference engine that gives you the co-ordinates of an abandoned glass factroy in Bavaria where you'll find a copy of Das Capital with page 1836 replaced with a picture of the USS Monitor with missing gunports that spell out in morse code the words Sengoku 2

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Applying the lessons of CK2 to Sengoku 2 would be an amazing idea, as it would let them get out of the whole "WHY DOESN'T CK3 HAVE ALL THE STUFF 2 DID??" and the tighter focus would hopefully give them more time to actually work up a better combat system and more events and things.

A more approachable, wiiaboo CK2 would sell like hot cakes and be amazin'

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

those FUCKERS

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Randallteal posted:

Stellaris and HOI4 are only disappointments relative to what came immediately before them. Those are still by far the third and fourth best games Paradox has ever put out. And the micromanagement in Stellaris has nothing on HOI2 or Vicky 2 especially when those games were as early in their post-release development as Stellaris and HOI 4 are.

I don't recall V2 having much micromanagement. In fact when it was released I was unhappy that the micromanagement of V1 had been removed but not replaced by anything else so there was nothing to do

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Randallteal posted:

A steaming turd would have been better than HoI3.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Enjoy posted:

I don't recall V2 having much micromanagement. In fact when it was released I was unhappy that the micromanagement of V1 had been removed but not replaced by anything else so there was nothing to do

I think that's what I don't like about V2 - there's a lot of just... watching things happen, and having marginal control over them.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

V for Vegas posted:

The viral marketing will be an AR campaign where the full stops in Johan's tweets will be a code you have to decipher through a difference engine that gives you the co-ordinates of an abandoned glass factroy in Bavaria where you'll find a copy of Das Capital with page 1836 replaced with a picture of the USS Monitor with missing gunports that spell out in morse code the words Sengoku 2

USS Monitor only had two gunports. :eng101:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

dublish posted:

USS Monitor only had two gunports. :eng101:

could always just use morse code blinkers hung in the gunport

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Randallteal posted:

Yeah no, HoI4 sucks. Having to pay 90 euros to get the game's full content while at the same time having to "accept" that the AI can't defend their borders, they literally can't code the AI into using mechanized or motorised units at all and the naval combat is actually worse than in 2 doesn't make it "good relative to what came before".

Darkest Hour and Arsenal of Democracy are much better games, which is sad because they're old as balls nowadays.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

COOL CORN posted:

I think that's what I don't like about V2 - there's a lot of just... watching things happen, and having marginal control over them.

That's actually what I do like with it. Makes it seem so much more like a real country that you merely can nudge in certain directions.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Mans posted:

Yeah no, HoI4 sucks. Having to pay 90 euros to get the game's full content while at the same time having to "accept" that the AI can't defend their borders, they literally can't code the AI into using mechanized or motorised units at all and the naval combat is actually worse than in 2 doesn't make it "good relative to what came before".

Darkest Hour and Arsenal of Democracy are much better games, which is sad because they're old as balls nowadays.

Darkest Hour has terrible naval combat hth

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Gort posted:

Darkest Hour has terrible naval combat hth

Yeah, I loved HoI2 and all of its derivatives but HoI4's naval combat is the same sort of black box where you don't have any sort of input into the outcome other than number and type of ships. Can't imagine anything that would make Darkest Hour's naval combat better on any level?

HoI2 was great but that's such a weird thing to think was better back then since it's probably the feature most similar to the HoI2 version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Maybe some way of telling your ships what to target first would be cool but I don't see how combat in a grand strategy game can be radically different than what we see now. A real time minigame isn't going to happen.