Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lightning Lord posted:

People always go on about Garfield, but when's Heathcliff getting his time in the sun?

gently caress that, it's all about Riff-Raff and The Catillac Cats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Lightning Lord posted:

People always go on about Garfield, but when's Heathcliff getting his time in the sun?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

That's a real, unedited panel isn't it?

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
It's a real, unedited panel.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Lightning Lord posted:

"That Garfield seems popular. Maybe we should rip that off."
"Good idea. To play it safe, let's make sure they're not too similar, so he shouldn't be a hungry fat rear end, or have sarcastic thought bubbles."
"So what does he do?"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Red posted:

"Good idea. To play it safe, let's make sure they're not too similar, so he shouldn't be a hungry fat rear end, or have sarcastic thought bubbles."
"So what does he do?"

Terrifies the neighborhood, man.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Red posted:

"So what does he do?"

Kinda the other way around. Garfield started five years after Heathcliff, much like Hydrox predates Oreos.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Oct 19, 2017

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Selachian posted:

Kinda the other way around. Garfield started five years after Heathcliff, much like Hydrox predates Oreos.

For some reason this strikes me as an anagram of some other phrase. He had one phrase many strips ago that he just gets reworks as an anagrams and then draws a panel for.

Next week: Hard dent room

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

The gently caress does this even mean?!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ecavalli posted:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ecavalli posted:

The art resists interpretation.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
It makes literally no sense.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
You can’t talk about Heathcliff without mentioning the best running joke ever.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gann Jerrod posted:

You can’t talk about Heathcliff without mentioning the best running joke ever.

This is the dumbest poo poo, why am I laughing

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Every single one of those are better than the whole Garfield oeuvre, excluding the dog semen one.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah I thought Heathcliff would be mediocre because I was only exposed to the cartoon, but once I started seeing the actual comics they're pretty great

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Synthbuttrange posted:

Yeah I thought Heathcliff would be mediocre because I was only exposed to the cartoon, but once I started seeing the actual comics they're pretty great

Modern Heathcliff is, as I understand it, nepotism somehow managing to end up in something amazing. It’s a zombie strip run by the kid of the last artist, who has essentially decided “gently caress it, I’m going weird”. It’s wonderful.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Yes, duh. I get the reference, but that doesn’t mean the joke makes any sense.

No wonder people prefer Garfield.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Dewgy posted:

Modern Heathcliff is, as I understand it, nepotism somehow managing to end up in something amazing. It’s a zombie strip run by the kid of the last artist, who has essentially decided “gently caress it, I’m going weird”. It’s wonderful.

It's not genius or entertaining to me, it's just kind of incomprehensible, and sometimes generically bland, and there's a lot of "reference instead of punchline" strips too.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

Darthemed posted:

Bloodpool #1

It's like reading a Stardust comic in reverse.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Heathcliff is basically a Dadaist comic strip.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Synthbuttrange posted:

So join in the jubilee. The cats are great, we all agree.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

When I was a kid I got made fun of because I got Heathcliff books from the early 80s that my mom bought from garage sales instead of all those shiny Garfield collections from Scholastic mail order forms that were sent home with us. I'm glad to see it's still going strong.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

It's what you get when you try to type 'press coverage' while high on ambien.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lightning Lord posted:

When I was a kid I got made fun of because I got Heathcliff books from the early 80s that my mom bought from garage sales instead of all those shiny Garfield collections from Scholastic mail order forms that were sent home with us. I'm glad to see it's still going strong.

Did she buy you go-bots and digimons, too?

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

Lurdiak posted:

You talking poo poo about Digimons? You wanna loving go?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Lurdiak posted:

No, but I had a lot of Bucky O'Hares and Taiwanese Super Sentai figures.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Savidudeosoo posted:

You talking poo poo about Digimons? You wanna loving go?

Back off if you don't wanna get cut

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Selachian posted:

This is what print claims, but the powerful Garfield lobby has erased this from the minds of men. Next: Mondays and spiders.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I was a big Garfield fan for a while but I'm not entirely sure how I got into it. I think I went to see both of the Bill Murray movies in the cinema when they came out.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Red posted:

This is what print claims, but the powerful Garfield lobby has erased this from the minds of men. Next: Mondays and spiders.

Not an edit. (Feb. 28, 1983)

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Pastry of the Year posted:

The motherfucker doesn't even have a job

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I was going to say that Garfield's hatred of Mondays is a reflection of the fact that he actually loves Jon but can't admit it, so he expresses it by hating Monday when he gets left alone.

But then I remembered that Jon is a cartoonist and we see him work from home, so Garfield doesn't even really have any indicators for what a Monday is.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Garfield hates Monday not because of work but because Monday has a supernatural hatred for Garfield and frequently the universe itself will bend to make terrible things happen to him on that day.

This is Garfield Canon.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

ImpAtom posted:

Garfield hates Monday not because of work but because Monday has a supernatural hatred for Garfield and frequently the universe itself will bend to make terrible things happen to him on that day.

This is Garfield Canon.

Deepest Lore.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Pastry of the Year posted:

He ripped off Sunday, too.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I'm pretty sure for the longest time there was a running gag where on Mondays Garfield would inexplicably get hit by a pie in the face.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

There was a series of strips where Garfield was killing spiders in various creative ways and the punchline to each one was Jon finding the dead spider and screaming.

I think those are the only ones I still think are really funny

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

prefect posted:

He ripped off Sunday, too.

One has to assume from the third panel that since reality ceased to exist (briefly?) it was already Monday so the effects of Sunday being annihilated as well wouldn't be felt until the end of the week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Lurdiak posted:

Back off if you don't wanna get cut

Picutyou.