Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wicka
Jun 28, 2007

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Reserve squads have a place, but that place isn't in the second level of a pyramid.

But this is the way The Soccer Don wants it so everyone has to get their dicks out!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Reserve squads have a place, but that place isn't in the second level of a pyramid.

I thought MLS was the pyramid scheme?

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

all-Rush mixtape posted:

When we really only have 2 divisions, where are they supposed to play? USL hasn't made a D3 yet.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

When we really only have 2 divisions, where are they supposed to play? USL hasn't made a D3 yet.

In a loving reserve league you simpleton

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Isn't that their plan though? And that'd be a better place for them really.

That said, a lot of teams have been trying to put a damper on those reports today (notably not mine, which had already confirmed them) so maybe someone's sources jumped the gun.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

^^ Yeah but the D3 league isn't here yet, so they're still playing D2.

wicka posted:

In a loving reserve league you simpleton

Yeah, we did that. People complained that they weren't playing meaningful games. Now we do this. It's been pretty good for my team to vet recent academy graduates and give us a place to rehab 1st teamers.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Dallan Invictus posted:

Isn't that their plan though? And that'd be a better place for them really.
And that's another issue: USL was D3 when the affiliation scheme started. Now that the USL would rather put its best teams in D2 and didn't even want to wait until setting up a two-tiered structure to go for D2, we're playing the reserve/affiliation game once again.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/soccer/soccer/2017/10/18/like-needed-know-bad-fc-dallas-season-ended

FC Dallas has been even worse than I fully realized. Goodness gracious.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Austin radio hosts interview Precourt and Dave Greely

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I just assume this whole thing started with spoiled cherub Anthony Precourt going to an event in Austin and nobody knowing or caring who he was, so he masterstroked this MLS Team plan because he thought it would make Austin elite care about who he was.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Shinjobi posted:

FC Dallas has been even worse than I fully realized. Goodness gracious.

I still don't know how this happened but that win in Frisco out of nowhere turned our season around so I am not going to complain.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Dallan Invictus posted:

I still don't know how this happened but that win in Frisco out of nowhere turned our season around so I am not going to complain.

You stole their power.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Some crew fans found a Twitter account that they think is Precourt’s. It had like 2 posts before this poo poo went down and now it’s just retweeting pro move to Austin stuff and likes a bunch of Trump tweets.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

So, Atlanta gets the all star game next year. I wonder who the euro team will be.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Dortmund

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

sportsgenius86 posted:

Some crew fans found a Twitter account that they think is Precourt’s. It had like 2 posts before this poo poo went down and now it’s just retweeting pro move to Austin stuff and likes a bunch of Trump tweets.

Thanks for the link

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Yeah, we did that. People complained that they weren't playing meaningful games.

Who cares? We’ve already established that MLS fans are the dumbest of the dumb. Ignore them and do what’s best for the league.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

paddyboat posted:

Thanks for the link

https://twitter.com/rubenz45/status/920836609435668482

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Make Austin Great Again

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

paddyboat posted:

Make Austin Great Again

Austin is Cascadia except it's hot and miserable instead of rainy and miserable. I'm sure they'll have the same pants on head retarded fans too.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

El Jebus posted:

So, Atlanta gets the all star game next year. I wonder who the euro team will be.

My guess is "whoever Almiron gets sold to in the offseason".

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Dallan Invictus posted:

My guess is "whoever Almiron gets sold to in the offseason".

How dare you

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

trem_two posted:

How dare you

I mean, we only play you once a year and I'm generally in favour of MLS teams trying to keep their exciting young players that people here might actually want to pay to watch, but apparently that's Actually Bad Now so you, too, must do your part for our reputation as a selling league. Chop chop!

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Oct 19, 2017

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

sportsgenius86 posted:

You mean like an unofficial account where he posts all his objectionable opinions? Cause he definitely already has an official Twitter account.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I watched a stream of downtown Austin where hundreds of craft beer toting yuppies watched swallows flying under a bridge. In other words it’s infinitely better than a Columbus for an MLS team.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Oct 19, 2017

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Really though mistakes of this league need to be undone and frankly that means finding better places for teams than salt lake, Colorado and Columbus. Sorry guys

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Really though mistakes of this league need to be undone and frankly that means finding better places for teams than salt lake, Colorado and Columbus. Sorry guys

If only there were a league structure that could help determine which cities and clubs deserved to be in the top tier...

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

wicka posted:

If only there were a league structure that could help determine which cities and clubs deserved to be in the top tier...

One that could actually be implemented... hmm... no idea sorry.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

One that could actually be implemented... hmm... no idea sorry.

One whose barriers to implementation exist solely in the broken brains of stubborn fools...hmmm...

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

"Guys it can't POSSIBLY work here! I know we've never even tried, and it works literally everywhere else, and the only reason I'm saying it can't is because to suggest otherwise would threaten the existence of my literal ponzi scheme, but TRUST ME: it CAN'T work!"

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

The only reason outside country size, relative interest in the sport, financial interests and entanglements, fickle fans who haven’t supported a club for 80 years not sticking around after relegation, having big city teams get relegated because we’re a dumb league of bad coaches and players and gaining poo poo markets to promotion.

It’s like saying you can build a new Hollywood all you have to do is mimic what they did and it’ll all work out

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The only reason outside country size, relative interest in the sport, financial interests and entanglements, fickle fans who haven’t supported a club for 80 years stocking around after relegation, having big city teams get relegated because we’re a dumb league of bad coaches and players and gaining poo poo markets to promotion.

Lmao, none of these mean a god drat thing. Stop loving defending your poo poo, broken league. Stop ruining soccer in this country for those of us who actually want to see it thrive. "Our league sucks too bad so we shouldn't try to fix it," honestly gently caress off.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Go form a petition and get like 2000 people to sign it. I’m sure garber and his crew will wipe their rear end with your ideas so I don’t even see the point of working outside the current system to improve things

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I don't care, idiot. Get smarter or enjoy your poo poo league that's literally already reached its peak. Some of us actually want better things. Wow!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
Recognizing that promotion/relegation is not a realistic possibility in MLS because of money is part of having a serious conversation about improving the league. Your posts make you seen like a toddler throwing a temper tantrum because that's, like, so unfair.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Popero posted:

Recognizing that promotion/relegation is not a realistic possibility in MLS because of money is part of having a serious conversation about improving the league. Your posts make you seen like a toddler throwing a temper tantrum because that's, like, so unfair.

Recognizing that promotion/relegation is a requirement, regardless of MLS' innumerable fuckups to date, is part of having a serious conversation about improving the league.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Wicka, I largely agree with you on almost all of these points but there's no need to melt down about it like an insane person.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Same, but DC

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

You know what if we didn’t get a stadium together, even for the purposes of flipping the team, or failed to attract these unscrupulous as gently caress and disinterested billionaires to help keep the doors open I would not have been surprised at all if DC United were relocated. I half expected it for years anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

wicka posted:

Recognizing that promotion/relegation is a requirement, regardless of MLS' innumerable fuckups to date, is part of having a serious conversation about improving the league.

It just isn't though. I'd prefer it all things being equal but there is absolutely no reason why MLS MUST implement relegation and promotion, none whatsoever. And there is absolutely no reason the league cannot continue to improve without it.

• Locked thread