Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Quote-Unquote posted:

Sleeping Dogs had good bits on cars and bikes, leaping to different vehicles while speeding through the streets etc.

Really wish there had been a sequel to that, or at least a remaster that finished and re-inserted all the obviously missing content that makes the game make no sense.

The multiplayer-focused sequel went belly up after closed beta, which I think is a shame. Is the studio still around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Der Kyhe posted:

The multiplayer-focused sequel went belly up after closed beta, which I think is a shame. Is the studio still around?

Nope they closed down like last year or the year before. They eventually released some info about what they were doing for a sequel and it would have starred both Wei and a new character who was more of a crooked cop and you could alternate between the characters doing missions and such.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

No Sleeping Dogs sequel ever is dragging videogaming down in general :smith:

Even in it's somewhat unfinished state, Sleeping Dogs is one of my favourite games ever.

I can still hear it's gentle melody on the breeze sometimes if I close my eyes...

~* You're a habitual flirt... *~

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

MysticalMachineGun posted:

No Sleeping Dogs sequel ever is dragging videogaming down in general :smith:

Even in it's somewhat unfinished state, Sleeping Dogs is one of my favourite games ever.

I can still hear it's gentle melody on the breeze sometimes if I close my eyes...

Pork Bun Vendor: A man who never eats pork bun is NEVER a whole man!

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Hong Kooong, Kowloon Hong Koooong, this is motherfuckin Hong Kooong~

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
I gave up on Arkham Knight because I was sick of the loving Batmobile. Has another series added a large piece of gameplay in a later game that completely sucks the wind out of the franchise like this?

Sorry if this has been discussed ad nauseum, I'm just getting to this game now and I'm mad online about it.

TOO MANY GOBLINS
May 31, 2015
I hate when video games use that high-pitched noise to let you know if you got hit by a grenade or a flashbang or something. I have tinnitus and it always leads into me being unable to focus on anything but my ears ringing for like, ten minutes :mad:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

TOO MANY GOBLINS posted:

I hate when video games use that high-pitched noise to let you know if you got hit by a grenade or a flashbang or something. I have tinnitus and it always leads into me being unable to focus on anything but my ears ringing for like, ten minutes :mad:

Outlast had a high-pitched ringing noise when an enemy detected you, and it would absolutely send my friend out of the room with a powerful migraine every time it played. Devs need to stop adding that poo poo in, or give a way to reduce it.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Alexander Hamilton posted:

I gave up on Arkham Knight because I was sick of the loving Batmobile. Has another series added a large piece of gameplay in a later game that completely sucks the wind out of the franchise like this?

Sorry if this has been discussed ad nauseum, I'm just getting to this game now and I'm mad online about it.

I came to love the Batmobile only after a long-rear end time doing the racing challenges outside of the main game. It's a bizarrely high-skill part of the game which is why it's out of place. The whole Arkham series is about being an effortless badass, but the Batmobile takes some serious work to make it fun.

I ain't even trying to be arrogant about that, by the way, I thought it sucked rear end too until I had a whole bunch of time at work where I had 2-3 minutes of downtime and started doing the car challenges. Once you get a real feel for the handling it's a joy to cruise through the main game, but drat if they didn't need to test this outside of their own studio.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Everyone agrees with you on this.

Another example would be Zelda: Spirit Tracks or pretty much any adventure game series that tacked on a crappy combat system into later installments.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
I got okay at it, in that I beat the Riddler races and the Arkham Knight in the tunnel (gently caress that, by the way), and the car got destroyed so I thought I was done. But then Batman said, "Don't worry, I have a spare," and I was looking at ANOTHER long-rear end car battle and I just said gently caress it and stopped. It's just not that fun.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The settlement-building from Fallout 4 suffers from not being integrated enough in the rest of the game's systems, with a lack of essential rewards and the feeling that it's a glorified mod. I have to do what to get a more convenient stash?

The inverse is when the new mechanic is the best part and saving grace of an otherwise tired franchise, like the boat from Assassin's Creed IV.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 21:00 on Oct 18, 2017

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I haaaaate it when games give me different minigames. I just want to play the game i’ve been playing! Shadow Of War is good in this respect - plenty of stuff to do but it all revolves around murdering orcs

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Schneider Inside Her posted:

I haaaaate it when games give me different minigames. I just want to play the game i’ve been playing! Shadow Of War is good in this respect - plenty of stuff to do but it all revolves around murdering orcs

I liked the pipes hacking mini-game in Bioshock. That's probably the only one I liked. I'd like to have that as stand-alone game. I've actually tried various "pipes" games on my mobile, but none of them are as good as the one tacked on to Bioshock.

For hacking that was crap, Alpha Protocol let you learn a skill to "hack" with an EMP grenade instead of going through its painful mini-game.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

Aleph Null posted:

I liked the pipes hacking mini-game in Bioshock. That's probably the only one I liked. I'd like to have that as stand-alone game. I've actually tried various "pipes" games on my mobile, but none of them are as good as the one tacked on to Bioshock.

For hacking that was crap, Alpha Protocol let you learn a skill to "hack" with an EMP grenade instead of going through its painful mini-game.

Oh that stuff i don’t mind so much. It’s like when a game is all “i’m a turret shooter now” or “here is a stealth section but you’re a Jedi”.

Th Arkham series already had enough games in it: beating up thugs, predatoring thugs, solving environmental puzzles. Absolutely did not need cars.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I powered through the various car segments, but boy was it not a great addition. I think it could have been great if they mainly kept it as a method of fast travel, and maybe have a few chase/race scenes. You know, do car things with it? Instead they decided to add hamfisted tank warfare and contrived car puzzles.

I feel like the Nolan movies and the Tumbler have much to answer for, when it comes to this crap.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Attestant posted:

I think it could have been great if they mainly kept it as a method of fast travel, and maybe have a few chase/race scenes. You know, do car things with it?

Exactly this, I really liked the idea of having the batmobile around as just another cool gadget, but them pushing it so hard as a big thing you must use put a damper on that.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
The emotional high point of the game was when your batmobile is brutally demolished, followed by a devastating low when a color-swapped new batmobile is batdropped in. The batmobile can be squarely blamed on the marketing and publisher. They felt that they needed a hook to differentiate it from both Cities, who's hook was same thing as Asylum but bigger, and Origins, whos hook was same thing but bigger and also in the past and also poo poo.

I loved Mad Max, who had a similar driving / fighting split in it's gameplay, but Mad Max had awesome car combat, whereas the batmobile turned batman undeniably into a spree-murderer. Flying around is such a cooler way to traverse, and the world felt far more forgettable than any of the previous games.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I will however accept a car in my super hero games, if the new Spider-Man game has the Spider-Buggy

But that is the only exception. :colbert:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I honestly don't get why so many people hate Origins. Is it some Dark Souls 2 "B-team" type thing? It wasn't as good as City, sure, but it wasn't bad either. I thought it had the best non-Mr. Freeze boss fights in the series.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Origins was genuinely shonky at the time. It took a fair few patches before stability and general buggies settled.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Attestant posted:

I powered through the various car segments, but boy was it not a great addition. I think it could have been great if they mainly kept it as a method of fast travel, and maybe have a few chase/race scenes. You know, do car things with it? Instead they decided to add hamfisted tank warfare and contrived car puzzles.

I feel like the Nolan movies and the Tumbler have much to answer for, when it comes to this crap.

Which is weird, given the Tumbler bits in the Batman Begins game were fine.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Sunswipe posted:

Weren't they just a reskinned Burnout though?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Moon Monster posted:

I honestly don't get why so many people hate Origins. Is it some Dark Souls 2 "B-team" type thing? It wasn't as good as City, sure, but it wasn't bad either. I thought it had the best non-Mr. Freeze boss fights in the series.

The game's combat felt weird and would lead to you swearing that you had countered that guy despite the game not feeling the same way, it had a bad launch that was full of bugs that would force you to restart and there might've even been some that could delete your saves. And it was also a big disappointment to have an interesting premise of Batman having a hit put out on him only for it to only come up all of twice with Deathstroke and Copperhead and then you have to actively go and progress the story to get the rest of the fights. Also people were down with the idea of the whole snafu being caused by not-the-Joker so they weren't stoked to have it end up being completely focused on the Joker at the end.

Sunswipe posted:

I feel like the time limits were annoyingly strict but I can't really remember. It's been almost 12 years since I played that game.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

poptart_fairy posted:

Origins was genuinely shonky at the time. It took a fair few patches before stability and general buggies settled.

I think for some people it was the fact it wasn't Rocksteady and it wasn't the "correct" voice cast. And honestly I would have liked it a lot more if they'd let the voice actors do their own thing instead of doing impressions of Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill.

Edit: vvvvvv Also that, yeah. Knight was annoying with that too "Oh yeah, he died in the last game but he's back now because apparently we can't do a Batman game without him"

Fil5000 has a new favorite as of 14:20 on Oct 19, 2017

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Origins was definitely the point when it being about the Joker again was getting real tired.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Weren't they just a reskinned Burnout though?

A reskinned Burnout would have been a huge improvement over Arkham Knight's tank combat.

One of the big things that irritated me about the tank stuff in AK that I haven't seen anyone else mention is the fact that the Arkham Knight would have been unstoppable and Batman completely helpless if he had just used regular loving tanks with crewmen in them instead of advanced drone tanks that Batman could destroy freely.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
The weirdest thing is that they spent all this time and energy on the Batmobile and then threw in the idea of team-up fights and those were ended up being really fun. I’d play a whole game with that.

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Attestant posted:

I will however accept a car in my super hero games, if the new Spider-Man game has the Spider-Buggy

But that is the only exception. :colbert:

To my delight, there is such a thing as The Amazing Spider-Van, and I will only buy the game if it is the main character.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

The Moon Monster posted:

I hated Origins because, in addition to the combat being not nearly as tight as City, the upgrade tree and enemy introductions were terribly thought out. None of the cool or functional upgrades were available until you put 10 upgrades into health and armour, so none of the combo moves were available until a ways into the game. The devs also introduced more advanced enemy types earlier, when the player doesn't have the tools to deal with those. I never got past the Final Offer in the beginning of the game because there was a large melee combat with 3 bladed weapons in the mix, and they just shredded me because I wasn't able to destroy the weapons, and for some reason the counter for the blades just wasn't working for me.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oh poo poo, that was one of the points I wanted to bring up! Yeah, Origins forces you to take extra gun and melee armor before you're allowed to actually put points into the abilities that actually do anything like the combat boost and multi-takedown.

Also, the weapon break combo is locked behind a sidequest you can't complete until like 60% of the way through the game or something obnoxious like that.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Origins is still my favorite, if only because the story in the others is poo poo. Haven't played Arkham Knight, have no intentions of doing so.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Barudak posted:

Everyone agrees with you on this.

Another example would be Zelda: Spirit Tracks or pretty much any adventure game series that tacked on a crappy combat system into later installments.

My man have you ever heard of a little thing called Monkey Kombat?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Moon Monster posted:

The constant crashing and falling through the environment and counters just occasionally not working were what did it in for me.

e: Also the aforementioned lovely upgrade system

RBA Starblade has a new favorite as of 16:29 on Oct 19, 2017

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Tim Burns Effect posted:

My man have you ever heard of a little thing called Monkey Kombat?

eek oop chee

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Schneider Inside Her posted:

Saints Row 4 is the worst offender for this, in my opinion. I like the core gameplay but then the shop hacking, the free running, the light-up platforms, all those minigames are just horrible.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Nostradingus posted:

Saints Row 4 is the worst offender for this, in my opinion. I like the core gameplay but then the shop hacking, the free running, the light-up platforms, all those minigames are just horrible.

Oh God, SR4 hacking... I'd forgotten how much that sucked. Weren't some of the personal stories locked behind that? I never unlocked them all.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Inco posted:

I hated Origins because, in addition to the combat being not nearly as tight as City, the upgrade tree and enemy introductions were terribly thought out. None of the cool or functional upgrades were available until you put 10 upgrades into health and armour, so none of the combo moves were available until a ways into the game. The devs also introduced more advanced enemy types earlier, when the player doesn't have the tools to deal with those. I never got past the Final Offer in the beginning of the game because there was a large melee combat with 3 bladed weapons in the mix, and they just shredded me because I wasn't able to destroy the weapons, and for some reason the counter for the blades just wasn't working for me.

RareAcumen posted:

Oh poo poo, that was one of the points I wanted to bring up! Yeah, Origins forces you to take extra gun and melee armor before you're allowed to actually put points into the abilities that actually do anything like the combat boost and multi-takedown.

Also, the weapon break combo is locked behind a sidequest you can't complete until like 60% of the way through the game or something obnoxious like that.

They chose the wrong solution but they had to do something because there really was a problem with the other way of doing it. Number upgrades are boring so few players of the earlier games would actually get the health upgrades over the new cool abilities, so they would get into situations they couldn't complete without trying for ages because they didn't have any margin for error. The actual solution to that is to not have new cool skills & stat upgrades be bought with the same currency. They should just have every new skill also give a small amount of extra HP, or have health upgrades be available through a separate upgrade system.

Diablo-style games often make the same mistake where boring number upgrades and cool abilities are bought with the same points, IIRC Grim Dawn is worse than most since it actually has separate stat points on level up but you actually get more stat upgrades from spending skill points. Also spending points to be allowed to buy the actually interesting stuff is the worst.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Health upgrades should come automatically with levelling up or be a bonus to other upgrades, if they exist at all. you should never have to sacrifice an interesting or meaningful new skill/talent/whatever for a no brainer incremental improvement that's required to keep up with enemy damage output.

I'm reminded of how the SPERG overhaul for Skyrim made boring perks like +10% one handed damage unlock automatically as you put points into one handed talents. It's obviously a little different in less RPGy games without real character builds but that begs the question of why every action game now feels the need to include a stupid skill tree system in the first place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
SoW fixes it somewhat because it locks only a handful of skills behind story progression, but then gently caress it up by making the most important skill, dominating orcs, only be available after completing the very long first act
Also there's way too many skills but they made them like, optional (your explosive arrow attack can either freeze, burn or poison enemies for instance)