Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Played a chunk of the finally released Overgrowth - I like it! The story's neat and the freeform running around and fighting other animals is pretty neat, they give you some decent challenges like trying to fight a ninja cat on a boat.

I mean just look at this motherfucker!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

For shame if you never used her Stand.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Would it make me a dumb person if I bought Wolfenstein II on release day (even though I would get to it for awhile) because I want to tell Bethesda with my wallet that I approve of them taunting actual Nazis?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Taintrunner posted:

Played a chunk of the finally released Overgrowth - I like it! The story's neat and the freeform running around and fighting other animals is pretty neat, they give you some decent challenges like trying to fight a ninja cat on a boat.

I mean just look at this motherfucker!

you're almost done with it

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

glam rock hamhock posted:

Would it make me a dumb person if I bought Wolfenstein II on release day (even though I would get to it for awhile) because I want to tell Bethesda with my wallet that I approve of them taunting actual Nazis?

Only if that's the only reason you're getting the game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Go for it. Making white people uncomfortable is the highlight of 2017.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

all white people are nazis apparently

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

bloodlines has some cool bits but is way too loving frustrating and arcadey for its own good

and that's the last old-school castlevania game i wanted to beat

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

Only if that's the only reason you're getting the game.

I saw a trailer pop up on youtube and the game itself looks dope and I'll probably eventually get it anyways. It's more a matter of waiting for it to get cheap or get it now in hopes that it adds to it selling well enough that it encourages other game companies to openly mock White Supremacists as a marketing strategy.

I probably still won't do it because I haven't even played New Order yet (though I have it) but it was just something my tired mind was thinking of doing at 3 in the morning.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

The Colonel posted:

bloodlines has some cool bits but is way too loving frustrating and arcadey for its own good

and that's the last old-school castlevania game i wanted to beat

Yeah, Bloodlines isn't that great though it definitely has its fans.

It did have Business Frankenstein at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjQuzv8uwK8

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I started playing New Order on November 9, 2016, which offered some catharsis. I don't know how much it will help a year later

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

corn in the bible posted:

all white people are nazis apparently

Didn't you get the memo?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Not all white people are Nazis, but a majority of white people did not consider Nazi rhetoric a deal breaker.

I am of course referring to the people in the fictional world of Wolfenstein, a video game, in the video game chat thread

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Bethsoft really are embracing the unintentional political statement they've created here. Good on them for it I guess but boy I really would like to know if it's a good game or not, and not their stance on nazis, because something tells me I already am aware of how they feel about them

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

It's funny when people who insist that they aren't in fact Nazis but [enter an euphemism here] get somehow offended that somebody said they want to kill actual Nazis.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

CJacobs posted:

Bethsoft really are embracing the unintentional political statement they've created here. Good on them for it I guess but boy I really would like to know if it's a good game or not, and not their stance on nazis, because something tells me I already am aware of how they feel about them

I read an article about how since the game was made before Charlottesville, it's really the marketing team responsible for the promos, so not necessarily bethsofts doing. It's still hilarious that it brought the 'keep politics out of my games' dumbasses out of the works.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I want it to be a fun game first and a political statement second, they can tell me nazis are bad over and over all goddamn day if I'm enjoying playing it. Thankfully the first game was pretty okay at doing that.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I am certain Bethesda had zero intention of Wolfenstein ever being a political statement. "Nazis are bad" should not be something that is even remotely controversial in the year 2017 but then Trump happened. The game would of had to be in development way before the alt-right creeped out of the woodwork. No way did they make the whole thing in less than 2 years.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

nazis are bad is not a political agenda

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
It’s hilarious to me how a decades old series can gain a huge viral boost through political relevance by doing exactly the same thing it’s been doing since the 80s

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-10-06-bethesda-were-not-afraid-of-being-openly-anti-nazi

This is the article A. Beaverhausen is talking about, or at least about the same subject, it's an interesting look at how PR has much more sway over how a game comes across to its audience than people give them credit for.

It actually is more of a political agenda now than it has been in the past like 60 years, sorry. "Actually nazis are bad" is going to be around for a while so get used to it

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Oct 19, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"nazis are bad" is a political agenda as a subset of the fact that even having common loving sense is something half (at least) of the voting population doesn't have

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I trust Machine Games to make a good FPS.

Also if you have a problem with a game having you kill pixel Nazis from Nazi Germany with swastikas on their foreheads then your opinion that this is political doesn't really matter to me.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
honestly the inevitable Wolfenstein shitstorm might at least provide some distraction from the Actual Nazi Shitstorm

:smith:

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

A literal nazi is speaking at university of Florida today. It’s a political agenda in tyool 2017.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I like playing video games. I think all of these different editions and lootboxes and things which cause ire in consumers will probably lead to another video game crash, but I cannot be certain. It is just a gut feeling.

Also I think Wolfenstein is fun and have no problem with their campaign because it is humorous and relevant to the time we are living in.

I am also enjoy Star Trek Discovery and the Witcher 3 very very much!

Last night I was able to play for about forty minutes. I went from the blacksmith place in White Orchard up to the castle bit via way of the river. I met a lot of enemies and got a little more used to the combat. Talking to that guy in charge was awesome because most games would have made him a leader who was mean and wanted only money. When he said "I'm not an excellency, see my calluses" and then asked for only thirty bushels instead of the forty that the farmer panickingly offered, that made me smile and really appreciate the writing.

Then, when he schooled Geralt with the idioms line, I was delighted! :D

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

You know thinking about it the finale of P5 is so similar to TWEWY it’s eerie A god is playing a game using people as proxies to determine whether the world/Shibuya should be preserved or destroyed. Said god turns out to be an ally of the player’s. One element of the plan is turning the humans of the world into mindless drones in order to achieve a peaceful world. Despite the player ”winning” the god goes back on what the player’s victory was supposed to stand for. They even wake up in the same crossing!

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

fan of the dead gay Nazi comic book offended by Nazi murder game :thunk:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Kanfy posted:

Yeah, Bloodlines isn't that great though it definitely has its fans.

It did have Business Frankenstein at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjQuzv8uwK8
God I loved the Bloodlines Vinnyvania run.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y6BeQ4BOnY&t=288s

Special mention as well to the masturbating segway knight enemy.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Yes, because you should be playing it immediately

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

I like games where I kill Nazis so I'm glad I get to kill more Nazis, since if anything they're a much more acceptable target than most other human enemies. We have video games about Vietnam or the various wars in the Middle East and those are both a lot more questionable than "Killing the German Nazis from WW2 After They Won WW2 and Took Over America"

I imagine a lot of the backlash is the marketing itself, i.e. embracing 'punch a nazi'. Arguments online usually stem over whether people say 'Nazi' to actually mean 'Anyone that disagrees with me politically', and sometimes over whether political violence is justified period. So the ad campaign can be perceived to support real-life violence that people do not agree with.

Personally I don't give a poo poo and I won't buy the game at release as some sort of half-assed political statement, nor avoid the game as some sort of half-assed political statement, but will buy the game on a deep discount after I beat TNO and feel like playing another FPS.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Nina posted:

You know thinking about it the finale of P5 is so similar to TWEWY it’s eerie A god is playing a game using people as proxies to determine whether the world/Shibuya should be preserved or destroyed. Said god turns out to be an ally of the player’s. One element of the plan is turning the humans of the world into mindless drones in order to achieve a peaceful world. Despite the player ”winning” the god goes back on what the player’s victory was supposed to stand for. They even wake up in the same crossing!

Huh. Despite loving both games I didn't notice that at all.

Also, god drat I love TWEWY. It's probably for the best it never got a sequel, but drat is it a good game. The whole "control two characters on two different screens" thing seemed like a huge pain when I first heard about it but it ended up being extremely fun.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Aaaaand that's Breath of the Wild finished. All shrines, all divine beasts, all inventory slots unlocked. 120 hours, apparently. Obviously plenty of sidequests or weapon upgrades left, but that's a good enough run I'd say.

While my enjoyment certainly waxed and waned at various points (usually tied to limitations from equipment or stamina), overall I loved the game a lot. Usually I am bored to tears from exploring huge open worlds, but I (in time) was able to get into a pretty good rhythm with BOTW where I could bounce back and forth between seeing points of interest on the mapping, find stuff along the way to said points, and then repeat. It was therapeutic in a way. Not sure how I'd rank it compared to other Zelda games because it is so different, but it's definitely deserving of the praise it got IMO.

Now to (hopefully) finish Samus Returns in time for Mario Odyssey.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Well, it shouldn't take you as long as Zelda in any case.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the most surprising thing about the Wolfenstein marketing is the fact that it was a Bethesda game BEING MARKETED

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Harrow posted:

Huh. Despite loving both games I didn't notice that at all.

Also, god drat I love TWEWY. It's probably for the best it never got a sequel, but drat is it a good game. The whole "control two characters on two different screens" thing seemed like a huge pain when I first heard about it but it ended up being extremely fun.

TWEWY is so drat good. I need to go for my annual replay of it sometime soon

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

DLC Inc posted:

the most surprising thing about the Wolfenstein marketing is the fact that it was a Bethesda game BEING MARKETED

hear hear

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Phantasium posted:

Well, it shouldn't take you as long as Zelda in any case.
Yeah I played it off/on when it first came out but I'm only in Area...3? Just got the Space Jump. Put it down for a few weeks so I could get Zelda out of the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

dromal phrenia posted:

We have video games about Vietnam
None good. :(

Actually wait, I've liked what I've played of RS2, but I mean singleplayer here.

• Locked thread