Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
UVGO: the David Cage game about having a ghost twin that ruins your life and Willem Dafoe and poo poo was actually GOOD and a cool story and I LIKE weird timeline narratives because it’s cool and there are lots of details that make it a rewarding experience and all I really wanted was one more level like the one where you blow up all the cop cars and poo poo.

All his other games are trash but that game was good and I’ll probably replay it someday for a quick, easy plat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I've played All The RTSes and Red Alert 2 was the best. Right balance between goofy and strategic.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Lol imagine if you were the guy who woke up one day all those years ago and thought of making the cd-i and was like "yeah.....yeah, you know what..........that is pretty loving radical"

What a nightmarish existence that must be

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Good soup! posted:

Lol imagine if you were the guy who woke up one day all those years ago and thought of making the cd-i and was like "yeah.....yeah, you know what..........that is pretty loving radical"

Good soup! posted:

I should ask him, if he's still around.

Truth is, Electronic Arts, Activision, Sierra On-Line ... were all GUNG HO for CD-I in 1987.

What happened is that Microsoft faked out Phillips with a vaporware platform called "Digital Video Interactive" (DVI) in 1987 (CD-I was announced in 1986 at the Microsoft CD-ROM Conference).

DVI had full motion video and CDI didn't (in 1987).

By the EA in particular, had invested a decent amount of $$$ in a dev system based on Mac (EA had done Deluxe Paint and Animator for the Amiga, so they had some decent stuff).

What DVI did was to delay CDI to the 1990's, as Philips tried to catch up (they came up with MPEG1).

EA, Activision et. al. lost patience with Philips and blew them off. Trip Hawkins left EA and formed 3DO as a competitor.

Me? I convinced our company to take a children's HyperCard game, add a huge music track and more animations, and that became the 1st CD-ROM game shipped ... for the Mac CD-ROM drive in Jan. 1989.

I even sent a plaque with "1st CD-ROM Game" to the Phillips (American Interactive Media) just because.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

VideoGameVet posted:

I should ask him, if he's still around.

Truth is, Electronic Arts, Activision, Sierra On-Line ... were all GUNG HO for CD-I in 1987.

What happened is that Microsoft faked out Phillips with a vaporware platform called "Digital Video Interactive" (DVI) in 1987 (CD-I was announced in 1986 at the Microsoft CD-ROM Conference).

DVI had full motion video and CDI didn't (in 1987).

By the EA in particular, had invested a decent amount of $$$ in a dev system based on Mac (EA had done Deluxe Paint and Animator for the Amiga, so they had some decent stuff).

What DVI did was to delay CDI to the 1990's, as Philips tried to catch up (they came up with MPEG1).

EA, Activision et. al. lost patience with Philips and blew them off. Trip Hawkins left EA and formed 3DO as a competitor.

Me? I convinced our company to take a children's HyperCard game, add a huge music track and more animations, and that became the 1st CD-ROM game shipped ... for the Mac CD-ROM drive in Jan. 1989.

I even sent a plaque with "1st CD-ROM Game" to the Phillips (American Interactive Media) just because.

Man I would love to hear some stories about the games industry of the early 90s

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
The reason Nintendo bailed on Sony is because Sony wanted a cut of the licensing revenue for each Super CD game sold, whereas Nintendo wanted it to be strictly a hardware partnership.

Back on topic, a big reason I hate open world games is there's a million useless items and limited inventory space. It's all trash that's used for "crafting" which basically involves having to gently caress around in menus to get the stuff you really want. It's a lovely way to obfuscate things to fool idiots into thinking their game is engaging.

It makes sense for online games where there's an economy and for people who do want to role play. In single player it's an interactive movie/novel inside a video game. You're not role playing with the computer really.

It's not like they can't figure out a way to make building a base or house more interesting than loving around in menus for hours with their millions of dollars worth of creative talent. It's just people that who feel that their time is worthless gobble up this garbage so they don't even have to try.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Bust Rodd posted:

UVGO: the David Cage game about having a ghost twin that ruins your life and Willem Dafoe and poo poo was actually GOOD and a cool story and I LIKE weird timeline narratives because it’s cool and there are lots of details that make it a rewarding experience and all I really wanted was one more level like the one where you blow up all the cop cars and poo poo.

All his other games are trash but that game was good and I’ll probably replay it someday for a quick, easy plat

yeah I really liked that one too. it was basically stranger things if 11 had a rambunctious poltergeist instead of a bunch of pre teens to work with

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

basic hitler posted:

Man I would love to hear some stories about the games industry of the early 90s

Teenage Boys Show Little Interest In Anthropomorphic Turtles.

Late 1980's. A game producer goes to comic show in NYC. Snags worldwide rights for around $20k. Focus group rejected it.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Khomaniac posted:

Dragon Age Inqusition was a near perfect game

Excuse me?

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Playing Zone of the Enders on an emulator now, heard it's the forgotten second coming of gaming jesus or something. So far it's super boring and the anime boy protagonist is loving annoying.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
Tiberian Sun was the best of the series. Red Alert 2 belongs in the trash

Star Control 2/The Ur-Quan Masters is the best RPG ever made and the most influential space game you've never played. you have probably played at least one poor man's copy of it in the last year. and if you play it and still think stories don't belong in video games or that all video game stories are shallow and bad, you're a retard

I was with roger ebert on how and why videogames aren't art, until I played Papers Please. by the end of it I was muttering under my breath at people who had their papers in order but didn't present them all until asked, for wasting my drat time, it was great. gamers like to use words like "immersive" but how "immersed" were you if you are unchanged after you stop playing? on the other hand, the things that make Papers Please good art also make it a game that I'll never replay - therefore, a bad game

Gone Home was a good game that people hated for ideological reasons. the single jump scare is perfectly executed, the B plot of dad's creepy uncle and how it related to dad's novels is the perfect complement to the atmosphere, and it's one thing to collect yet another audio log from yet another skeleton in yet another abandoned military base and a whole another thing to rifle through your family's drawers. oh no you play as a woman with a lesbian sister 😱 grow the gently caress up, people

people play old games because they're good. Civilization is a great game. Floor 13 deserves to be a cult classic. X-COM is heads and shoulders above the modern remake

Blood > Quake 2 > Shogo MAD > Doom > Quake. Blood was seriously underrated and unjustly forgotten

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

hackbunny posted:

Star Control 2/The Ur-Quan Masters is the best RPG ever made and the most influential space game you've never played

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I HAVE played it! So screw you.

Also what was the jump-scare in Gone Home, I seem to have forgotten that part?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I kept waiting for some kind of jump scare or ghosts or something for the first 30 minutes or so. It was an enjoyable game for the $9 or whatever I paid as part of a humble bundle.

Papers Please is super stressful and I never made it anywhere near endgame.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

hackbunny posted:

Gone Home was a good game that people hated for ideological reasons. the single jump scare is perfectly executed, the B plot of dad's creepy uncle and how it related to dad's novels is the perfect complement to the atmosphere, and it's one thing to collect yet another audio log from yet another skeleton in yet another abandoned military base and a whole another thing to rifle through your family's drawers. oh no you play as a woman with a lesbian sister 😱 grow the gently caress up, people

My only real "problem" with Gone Home is that when you go up to the attic the game definitely puts you in the mindset that youre going to find a suicide up there. It feels cheap and emotionally manipulative to go "Oh she just left! happy ending!"

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Serephina posted:

I HAVE played it! So screw you.

Also what was the jump-scare in Gone Home, I seem to have forgotten that part?

In your grand-uncle's creepy secret room with the walls plastered with magazine pages, you'll find a handmade wooden crucifix on the ground, crudely painted white with john 3:16 scrawled on it in black. like a second and a half after you pick it up to examine it, the lightbulb burns out. actually made me drop the thing and I couldn't find it again in the dark

brugroffil posted:

I kept waiting for some kind of jump scare or ghosts or something for the first 30 minutes or so. It was an enjoyable game for the $9 or whatever I paid as part of a humble bundle.

I'll admit I only played it because it was a monthly game on playstation plus

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

hackbunny posted:

I was with roger ebert on how and why videogames aren't art, until I played Papers Please. by the end of it I was muttering under my breath at people who had their papers in order but didn't present them all until asked, for wasting my drat time, it was great. gamers like to use words like "immersive" but how "immersed" were you if you are unchanged after you stop playing? on the other hand, the things that make Papers Please good art also make it a game that I'll never replay - therefore, a bad game

Uh... I'm glad you came around to the idea that media of all stripes can be considered art, but it's really pompous to presume to speak for other players being unchanged by their experiences with games. You don't really get to speak for anyone else's experience as valid/invalid because it doesn't pass your personal assessment of what the benchmark is.

I might think a teenage boy is a straight idiot if he claims Rick&Morty, South Park, or Bioshock changed his life... but that's because I'm being a piece of poo poo and coming down on someone who likely never had exposure to deeper art prior for reasons I don't get to be an rear end in a top hat about. Even if I'm not wrong in saying that boy is an idiot--and I'm not--that doesn't mean by extension those cartoons and video games aren't art.

quote:

:agreed: 100%

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Meme Emulator posted:

My only real "problem" with Gone Home is that when you go up to the attic the game definitely puts you in the mindset that youre going to find a suicide up there. It feels cheap and emotionally manipulative to go "Oh she just left! happy ending!"

oh I played it long after spoilers had leaked so I knew the twist and the ending in advance. but I really enjoyed the B plot and only enjoyed it more when I read a fan wiki and realized I had missed an important aspect: you know how dad wrote a series of novels about a time traveler who goes back in time to stop jfk's assassination over and over again? just a stereotypical airport thriller written by a boomer, right? wrong. the reason dad kept coming back to jfk wasn't just because he was a kid at the time: it also happened right at the time he lived with his uncle and his uncle had done something unforgivable to him. the timeline checks out and grandpa hints to it in his letter, where he tells his son that it's good that he's wrestling with his personal demons through writing, albeit unfortunate that he does so through pulp trash

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

pompous
presume
a piece of poo poo
an rear end in a top hat

yep that's me :cool:

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

Branching storylines were a mistake. Open world and non-linear used to mean that your RPG let you wander around the world picking up clues and threads in whatever order seemed natural to you. The Ultima games only had one way to solve any particular problem, and they only had one ending, hell they barely had any sidequests even. That's why I really liked Mass Effect 3 - the ending ignored all the boring choices I had made over the last three games and I couldn't have cared less. It had all the TNG-lite sci-fi space romping and cool aliens that the other two games did. I don't get how the last hour of a game could ruin the previous 40 hours of entertainment - it seems like a really histrionic and deranged point of view.
I can walk around a village in any direction, messing with the physics objects and feel like I'm actually free - and then I go to talk to an NPC and get to pick between two lines of dialogue. Why bother? It feels frustrating to have to identify with one cheesy line versus another, and that feeling wouldn't be there if NPC convos just played out linearly.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Deus Ex is the only game to do branching endings right but they hosed it up with the sequel

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

DebonaireD posted:

I don't get how the last hour of a game could ruin the previous 40 hours of entertainment - it seems like a really histrionic and deranged point of view.

Generally what that means is that people were putting up with a load of stupid bullshit hoping that the big ending would tie it all together and make it worth it, and then it didn't and they belatedly realised that they wasted 40 hours on bullshit

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

2house2fly posted:

Generally what that means is that people were putting up with a load of stupid bullshit hoping that the big ending would tie it all together and make it worth it, and then it didn't and they belatedly realised that they wasted 40 hours on bullshit

This is like all those people who decided they didnt like Lost because they thought the ending was disappointing. I have terrible news: these stories are being written by ordinary people just like you! There is no twist ending in anything anywhere that is going to make sense out of your lives and give you the order and finality you so desperately crave. The beginnings and middles of these stories matter just as much, and it wasnt a waste of 40 hours because those parts were good and fun!

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
Any game that implements a magic system that isn't Vancian and doesn't implement the management of expendable spell components needs to reconsider its priorities.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
for all the food you have to eat in skyrim, there needs to be pooping at an appropriate rate

like this
https://youtu.be/W2Aq-gm3An0?t=66 nsfw because it's a link involving poop, dummy

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

hackbunny posted:

yep that's me :cool:
The important thing is that you didn't have to challenge yourself.

DebonaireD posted:

Branching storylines were a mistake. Open world and non-linear used to mean that your RPG let you wander around the world picking up clues and threads in whatever order seemed natural to you. The Ultima games only had one way to solve any particular problem, and they only had one ending, hell they barely had any sidequests even. That's why I really liked Mass Effect 3 - the ending ignored all the boring choices I had made over the last three games and I couldn't have cared less. It had all the TNG-lite sci-fi space romping and cool aliens that the other two games did. I don't get how the last hour of a game could ruin the previous 40 hours of entertainment - it seems like a really histrionic and deranged point of view.
I can walk around a village in any direction, messing with the physics objects and feel like I'm actually free - and then I go to talk to an NPC and get to pick between two lines of dialogue. Why bother? It feels frustrating to have to identify with one cheesy line versus another, and that feeling wouldn't be there if NPC convos just played out linearly.
I'm half-with you. The problem is a few games like the first two Fallouts really got the whole branching-storylines thing right by nailing that razor-thin balance between "all choices have to lead to similar endings" and "your choices have unique consequences."

It should never be expected of any RPG to hit that high bar, and I'm all for games that don't, but if you're going to make a new Deus Ex or advertise your Mass Effect by talking about branching-stories and meaningful consequences then you don't get to cry foul when people say you hosed it up. No one asked you to shoot for the moon, and even the whiniest pissbabies moaning about how you didn't hit escape velocity aren't necessarily wrong to say you didn't make it. Of course this is a game whose other main selling point was boning your party members, so it's no surprise that the most vocal fans were their own worst enemies in undermining their point.

DebonaireD posted:

This is like all those people who decided they didnt like Lost because they thought the ending was disappointing.
To be fair I didn't like LOST from episode one because I could smell the bullshit it was selling as chocolate. Any serial story built primarily on the back of mysteries that aren't answered by the end of the first season is very unlikely to fulfill its promises in any satisfying way, and hiding behind "the journey is the destination" is little more than a con game on the part of the creators.

Like, if you don't have a story to tell that's fine, but if the only hook you can come up with is "tune in next time and maybe you'll get answers" then you don't get to cry foul when people say you're not telling a good story.

DrPossum posted:

Any game that implements a magic system that isn't Vancian and doesn't implement the management of expendable spell components needs to reconsider its priorities.
It depends. The problem I've seen with Vancian-style systems in games is that you're teased early with the possibility of spells but completely lack the means to really go after the ingredients. Yeah it's really fun when magic is this conquest where you really have to earn the right to sling fireballs and seriously think about when you can use your precious resources to sling one, but it has to still be accessible.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Oct 20, 2017

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Lost was loving horrible and it wasn't just the ending

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

DrPossum posted:

The Ultima games had limited spell reagents, limited arrows in your quiver, limited food in your pack. They also didnt do this branching dialogue horseshit! You explored the world but you didnt determine it, you just sorta opened it up as you went along.
And if you liked the leads and characters in Lost then it didnt matter what the secrets behind the show were. What the gently caress could they have possibly revealed to you anyway? Hey guys we figured out the hidden connections between quantum physics and Buddhism prepare to be blown away! Stories live entirely on good characters and good narrative, - branching dialogue and twist (or magically totalizing) endings are gimmicky bullshit. Mass effect 3 is a really good game.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Ultima blew rear end.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Resident Evil 6 is okay

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Sid Vicious posted:

Resident Evil 6 is okay

I was so disappointed by 6. They actually downgraded your options for zombie encounters and gave you useless poo poo like sliding.

5 had more actual melee kills you could do to a zombie for target shots and let you combo off your partner's gunshots.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Sid Vicious posted:

Resident Evil 6 is okay

i sorta liked it. i want to love 4 but i loving HATE the controls and lack of movement.

Meme Emulator posted:

i liked the game enough. my biggest "issue" is i feel like people took the wrong things from it. i thought it was a good story not just because it was good or because it was progressive but because how it was told. I like enviromental story telling and piecing stuff together about the world and its character and that made a good story even better. instead most people either just jerked off to the story or the politics of it. so instead of getting more walking sims with great use of the environment and objects. we get pretentious poo poo like anything the chinese room poo poo out or this monstrosity https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZly6bW3UMk

sunset disipoints me the most because the premise sounds awesome, but instead its wondering around apartment while the character makes loud overly pretentious philosophical comments.

walking sims can be great and interesting games, but you have to actually DO something with them.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

hackbunny posted:

Star Control 2/The Ur-Quan Masters is the best RPG ever made and the most influential space game you've never played.

Hey guess what, the two developers got the rights back and are making a true sequel.

https://dogarandkazon.squarespace.com/

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

league of legends and dota are real boring after the first ten games or so

hip check please
Jan 11, 2012

also during and before

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

DrPossum posted:

nothing is more fun than things that don't make the game more challenging or complex, just annoying

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

hackbunny posted:

Tiberian Sun was the best of the series. Red Alert 2 belongs in the trash

Star Control 2/The Ur-Quan Masters is the best RPG ever made and the most influential space game you've never played. you have probably played at least one poor man's copy of it in the last year. and if you play it and still think stories don't belong in video games or that all video game stories are shallow and bad, you're a retard

people play old games because they're good. Civilization is a great game. Floor 13 deserves to be a cult classic. X-COM is heads and shoulders above the modern remake

Blood > Quake 2 > Shogo MAD > Doom > Quake. Blood was seriously underrated and unjustly forgotten

A lot of people, probably including a lot of critics, only liked Gone Home for ideological reasons.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Homestar Runner posted:

DKC 3: Dixie's Double Trouble was better than DKC 1-2

Super Mario World > Super Mario Bros 3

Eliminator Boat Duel (NES) is an 8-bit masterpiece and if you ain't played it well gently caress you buddy

I thought Homestar Runner was cancelled since Flash doesn't work anymore?

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

The Dennis System posted:

A lot of people, probably including a lot of critics, only liked Gone Home for ideological reasons.

Lesbians are great story-telling devices and if you disagree it's because ideologically you hate lesbians. No it can't just be that it's a stupid and cheap reward for dicking around stupid old house for 30 minutes. Resident Evil 1 and SH: PT did the exact same poo poo but at least there was an actual game inbetween gathering information and it told a way better if not convoluted story than "your sister eats puss".

Don't forget though it has a really good jumpscare- yeah that's definitely a point in its favor. Jump-scares are the pinnacle of horror you see.

Twelve Batmans fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Oct 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Oh, AAA games are a lot better than they used to be.

And holding up Deus ex as a fine example of a branching plot is hilarious because you literally choose your ending twenty minutes before the end, just like the way people complained about the newer Deus Ex's ending. It's not just a button, but it's the same poo poo.

You don't actually change anything about the deus ex story other than Paul dead y/n.