Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Xander77 posted:

The patrolman outfit from Year of the Snake also works, but sure.

I saw a different LP do the patrol outfit, so I thought I'd offer something a little different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I saw a different LP do the patrol outfit, so I thought I'd offer something a little different.
Swat team then :)

The joke works better when it's not the least bit subtle.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Xander77 posted:

Swat team then :)

The joke works better when it's not the least bit subtle.

It literally says "POLICE" on the back, how is that subtle? Is it a jacket for Sting fans?

GenHavoc
Jul 19, 2006

Vive L'Empreur!
Vive La Surcouf!
These sessions always involve a lot of judgment calls, because life is messy and doesn't fit into statutes. Take Ming's death for instance. Strictly speaking I could have written Wei up as an Accessory to Murder in the Second for that one, but it's equally possible to call that self defense, as Wei was literally talking his way out of getting killed. As such, I decided to leave that one out.

Indeed, this session was one of the least violent, least criminal sessions we've so far seen. Funnily enough, sessions which include no Triad experience and lots of Cop experience do not seem to be filled with an overabundance of crimes. The street races were literally being done under orders, and involved no crimes beyond the ubiquitous dangerous driving which is impossible to avoid, and as such, we've mostly got just a small grab bag collection of assorted crimes, as follows:

People almost certainly permanently crippled/maimed by Wei Shen: 2 (total: 148)
People definitively killed by Wei Shen: 0 (total: 32)

Crimes:

2 Counts Reckless Endangerment
1 Count Simple Assault
1 Count Acoustic Assault on Easy Listening (Repeat Offense)
1 Count Aggravated Premeditated Assault on the Very Concept of Music and Human Decency
1 Count Assault and Battery
1 Count Carjacking
1 Count Grand Theft Auto
1 Count Vandalism
1 Count Filing a False Police Report - Misdemeanor
1 Count Petty Cyberlarceny

For a total sentence from this session of 10 Years, 7 Months.

God, Wei Shen, at this rate, you'll be a law-abiding citizen in no time.

The running total sentence thus comes to 8 Consecutive Life Sentences, plus 904 Years, 7 Months

I wanted to apply the Death penalty for the Benetar song, but cooler heads prevailed...

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
1 Count Aggravated Premeditated Assault on the Very Concept of Music and Human Decency

This sounds like a very serious crime.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
One of the things that makes Yojimbo such a classic movie is how many times it gets remade. The one that sticks out in my mind is Last Man Standing, a Bruce Willis vehicle that might as well be Yojimbo with all the proper nouns crossed out of the script and replaced with something more in line with the time and place the story takes in.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Akira Kurosawa was so loving good at making movies.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Akira Kurosawa was so loving good at making movies.

For most talented directors, you would be able to find a peak and that peak would be something like Yojimbo. But no, Kurosawa's just like 'Hey also let's make Rashomon and Seven Samurai and stuff. Just more timeless classics, you know. Just what I do.'

mkwong98
Feb 8, 2013
Those pieces of Chinese text at the cock fighting are wrong. They translated the "fighter" in "select fighter" to "military aircraft" and "place" in "place bet" to "location". :rant:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

mkwong98 posted:

Those pieces of Chinese text at the cock fighting are wrong. They translated the "fighter" in "select fighter" to "military aircraft" and "place" in "place bet" to "location". :rant:

Well, chicken are sort of like airplanes.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

It's true. Chickens are the airplanes of the animal world.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

achtungnight posted:

This sounds like a very serious crime.
It is the most serious crime.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Night10194 posted:

For most talented directors, you would be able to find a peak and that peak would be something like Yojimbo. But no, Kurosawa's just like 'Hey also let's make Rashomon and Seven Samurai and stuff. Just more timeless classics, you know. Just what I do.'

Ran is the greatest epic ever made and one of the most gorgeous films I've seen. And he made it at an age when most directors are slowing down.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I haven't seen Yojimbo, but the summary reminded me a lot of Far Cry 2. I think I vaguely recall seeing it mentioned somewhere that it was an influence on the game... and like, it must have been.

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe
My favorite kurosawa movie is Ran. It's his bleakest and most cynical work.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Everyone should go ahead and read Red Harvest. Yokimbo etc kinda supplanted the place of a proper adaptation, but RH has some nicely cynical things to say about violence and power structures that a random wanderer pitting two gangs against each other can't quite replicate.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I must give my heart to Seven Samurai, I'm a sucker for the classics.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Seven Samurai is also my favorite Kurosawa film. I don't make films, but if I did they would definitely have samurai. (No, I'm not a Bare Naked Ladies fan, but I can't help hearing that song every time I think of Kurosawa. :sigh:)

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

achtungnight posted:

Seven Samurai is also my favorite Kurosawa film. I don't make films, but if I did they would definitely have samurai. (No, I'm not a Bare Naked Ladies fan, but I can't help hearing that song every time I think of Kurosawa. :sigh:)

It’s ok. At least the Bare Naked Ladies are actually decent.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

achtungnight posted:

Seven Samurai is also my favorite Kurosawa film.

then allow me to ruin it for you

https://lparchive.org/Seven-Samurai-20XX/

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Already watched that LP, thanks. I have also played that game. I still like the movie despite both.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I've got both Yojimbo and its sister film Sanjuro on DVD and I love them. I probably need to trade up to the BD at some time now that I have a player.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Bobbin Threadbare fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Oct 24, 2017

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

I didn't notice it when I played this game myself, since I didn't ride at the time, but the motorcycle animations in this game are atrocious.

One thing you didn't talk about with Jackie Chan's style and film work is his team. He's had a bunch of guys that consistently play his opponents in group fights. They worked together to develop body language and timing that lets a bunch of people fight one guy without having to perfectly choreograph every moment or devolve into "a bunch of people stand threateningly in a circle while the hero fights one at a time". It's one of my favourite things about Jackie Chan fight scenes.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I never realized or knew that about Jackie Chan. It’s awesome and makes sense. Thanks. Police Story is awesome too.

The missions in the most recent video are a big hint to Pendrew's eventual role in the game. I still was pleasantly surprised by how it turned out, though. I've never actually found the "Death by a Thousand Cuts" mission before. I'll have to look for it.

New Cast-

Naz Singh- TJ Ramini.

We've actually seen this guy before, I think, but his role is more prominent now.

I wonder how many players usually kill Tiffany during the stalking missions. I'm not going to say how often I do it, but it's always a temptation. Maybe I get too into the character of Wei sometimes.

Gotta love those sick jumps!

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Oct 23, 2017

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

YouTube version seems to be limited to 360p for some reason.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

AceOfFlames posted:

YouTube version seems to be limited to 360p for some reason.

You know, I was wondering why the "HD" symbol was conspicuously absent from the video title. Weird that it's 360 specifically and not 480, especially since there's nothing different about my copy of the video. I'll try a straight re-upload and we'll see what happens.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

achtungnight posted:

I never realized or knew that about Jackie Chan. It’s awesome and makes sense. Thanks. Police Story is awesome too.

More after I watch the video.

Jackie Chan is a case study in how much effort it takes to make something look improvised and easy without getting anyone killed.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
"Police Story" was one of the first Jackie Chan movies I ever saw. Well, that and "Master with the Cracked Fingers", which Chan is technically in but only for the first half.

It was pretty mind-blowing to see things like the shanty-town car chase and the mall fight at the time. It's also kind of rare to see Jackie play a character who is so thoroughly enraged by what's happening to him. Most of the time, Jackie is put-upon and scared by how things are going, but by the end of "Police Story" he's pretty much a man-shaped bundle of fury with nothing left to lose.

The stunts in "Police Story" were so good that some of them were copied in "Rapid Fire", a film starring Brandon Lee and Powers Boothe. You can see the motorcycle through the plate glass and the clothing rack sequences in that film.

"Police Story" was the movie that got Jackie Chan blacklisted by every insurance company in Hong Kong. So many people got hurt making this movie, and many of those injuries are shown in the outtakes at the end.

There is an alternate ending to the film that shows Jackie and Selena being arrested and taken away in police cars. This was so the film would pass the Japanese censorship board, since any film depicting a person committing a crime had to show them suffering the consequences of their actions.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

You know, I was wondering why the "HD" symbol was conspicuously absent from the video title. Weird that it's 360 specifically and not 480, especially since there's nothing different about my copy of the video. I'll try a straight re-upload and we'll see what happens.

I have re-uploaded the video and it looks like it's HD this time. I've updated the links so feel free to check the video out now.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I love me some Jackie Chan. May he never die. Anybody see The Foreigner? Not playing in my area for some reason.

Azure Dreamer
Oct 14, 2012

wearing sunglasses makes me a cool kid
man now i kinda wanna rewatch the brutal legend lp. shame that like the third video or so has a copyright claim that's left it muted. probably more but the last time i tried rewatching the lp i kinda gave up once i reached the first muted video.

i think the problem with jealous boyfriend wei is that it sort of feels out of character for him. up until now he's not really shown any legit interest in any of the girlfriends except as casual fuckbuddies. suddenly there's this girl he's interacted with maybe three times before now, someone says she's seeing another man and he just freaks the gently caress out and goes full-on stalker. tonally speaking it's out of place in this relatively lighthearted and goofy crime drama, and it doesn't gel well with how wei's acted so far. he's not exactly been the most mentally stable fellow, but not in this particular way (i almost wrote wei there, i caught it but i wanted to preserve my shame for posterity.)

that said, i think that the ending to the quest where you just let tiffany walk away while wei stands in the rain wearing hot pants and looking miserable definitely goes a long way to reconciling the quest with the tone of the rest of the game so far.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I'm always surprised you fire pistols so slow. One of the awesome things in this game is that the recoil is very light and so you're rewarded for hammering the trigger like a proper Hong Kong hero.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Honestly, the Stalker Wei stuff feels like it was made before the devs really knew what they wanted Wei to be like,hence the massive tonal dissonance (is that the right word?) from the rest of the game.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Wait... is that loving Mongrel Mob outfit?

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

It's weird that the game calls Wei out on being a hypocrite about his philandering and not on, say, literally using police equipment to tap a civilian phone line to stalk his girlfriend.

To make matters worse, the game never sells Wei and Tiffany's relationship the way it does Wei and Emma Stone's or Not Ping's. We never see him on a date with Tiffany except when she's, you know, at work as a hostess. It feels like he's weirdly attached to a woman he really only knows professionally.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Ugh... going around Hong Kong in bare feet?! Please add that to Wei's rap sheet.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
Yeah.. that mission really rubbed me the wrong way. I mean, if it was like "yo wei, this girl tiffany is talking poo poo about you" and was like.. revealing secrets, or getting money out of him or the triad or something, then yeah, I can see Wei getting pissed. But for him to be this "jealous stalker boyfriend" and play it out exactly how it looks on paper is incredibly hypocritical at best.

GenHavoc
Jul 19, 2006

Vive L'Empreur!
Vive La Surcouf!

Samovar posted:

Ugh... going around Hong Kong in bare feet?! Please add that to Wei's rap sheet.

As you wish...

I have to admit, that part of the reason for some of the crimes this time around is because Bobbin bothered to leave in a full drive across a part of town, which consequently scared the crap out of a number of civilians and somehow failed to get Wei killed despite a 180 MPH collision headfirst into a wall.

Do not, however, mistake this session as one of quiet contemplation, as Wei STARTS things off by killing thirty men with a butcher knife (well, 29, as one of them could have survived), nearly doubling his kill total to-date. And while those murders can be written off as self-defense (hordes of guys coming at you with cleavers and blades is pretty open-and-shut), we've still got some juicy crimes to record.

People almost certainly permanently crippled/maimed by Wei Shen: 1 (total: 149)
People definitively killed by Wei Shen: 30 (total: 62)

Crimes:

6 Counts Reckless Endangerment
1 Count Accessory to Felony Obstruction of Justice in the First Degree
1 Count Misdemeanor Resisting Arrest
1 Count Vehicular Homicide in the First Degree
1 Count Felony Hit-and-Run
1 Count Failure to Rescue
1 Count Illegal use of a Listening and Recording Device
1 Count Tremendously Creepy Douchebaggery
8 Counts Vandalism
1 Count Filthy Self-Harm (Walking around Hong Kong barefoot)

For a total sentence from this session of 24 Years, 2 Months.

I'm actually surprised it came out this low, but I have every faith things are gonna get a lot nastier going forward.

The running total sentence is now up to 8 Consecutive Life Sentences, plus 928 Years, 9 Months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Tremendously Creepy Douchbaggery?

What’s the maximum sentence for that?

• Locked thread