Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

Joanie opens the Magic Book to page 98. The Spell of the Genie. She reads the weird words then waits.

Ba boom!

You are shaken out of your box just in time to see the door to the warehouse crash inward. A giant enters the room. He is so tall - over eight feet - that he needs to bend his head to enter the doorway.

And he is so ugly - big boils cover his face and arms. Hair grows out of his nose and ears. The only reason that you haven't run away is because you're too scared to move. Your feet feel glued to the floor.

"Who called?" bellows the giant. "And it better be for a good reason."

quote:

"I called you," you manage to say. "We need help escaping from here. We want to go home."

The giant genie opens his mouth and lets out a blast of laughter that sends you halfway across the room.

"You've called the wrong genie," shouts the huge genie. "I'm the Evil Genie. Humans serve me."

The genie reaches down and picks you up. He neatly tucks you under his arm. He is so enormous he can fit Joanie and Sid under his other arm.

"You will soon get used to your new home," he growls. "I live in a castle far from here. You will clean the castle, rake the hay, chop the firewood, and herd the cows. Of course you will also cook my meals and do anything I say."

The genie shouts a strange command. The room begins to fade away.

Well, you wanted a way out of the factory.

Now you'll have to find a way to escape from the genie!

THE END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Magic Book of Spells

Goal Endings: 1/2

Bad Endings
Drank drugged milk and had our knees used as cooking ingredients.
Eaten by an elderly werewolf.
Argued with Sid for the entire one-hour time limit.
Had our throat torn out by a giant rat.
Accidentally turned into a dog by an extremely literal spell.
Horrifically devoured by a worm-tentacle-woman-thing.
Killed offscreen by a giant scorpion.
Eaten by piranha accidentally summoned by Joanie.
Turned into a ventriloquist dummy.
Drowned in a flood of giant tears.
Shanghaied into playing baseball with a group of undead children.
Couldn't find a way to escape the Magician's room.
:siren:Enslaved by an evil genie.:siren:

Achievements
Nice: Encountered a total of 69 bad endings.

Our options posted:

• Give the book back.
  • Consider what Joanie did.
  • Cast the Terrifying Spell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
Terrifying spell.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Book was right, never listen to Joanie.

Cast the Terrifying Spell.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

"I want to use the Terrifying Spell," you say. "If I can give Larry and his buddies a good scare, maybe they won't pick on me anymore."

Joanie flips to page 71 in the Magic Book. She clears her throat. You can feel a little trickle of sweat run down your cheek as she begins to read the spell. "Spmub. Esoog Dooold." Joanie can't keep from giggling while she pronounces the strange words.

Nothing happens.

"You didn't read it right," you tell Joanie. "Stop giggling and do it again."

"I read it right," she insists. "How do you want me to read it? Like this?"

Joanie re-reads the spell. Only this time, she makes her voice sound evil and raspy.

Not bad, you think. In fact, it must have been very good because something starts to happen to you.

quote:

Your whole body grows warm. You begin to sweat. You have the strangest feeling - as if you were glowing. And then suddenly you feel okay. Normal.

But for some reason, Joanie and Sid are staring at you in horror.

"What is it?" you cry. "Has something terrible happened? Am I green or something?"

But they don't answer you. Instead they leap out of the box and run away from you as fast as they can. They disappear behind another stack of boxes.

"Joanie? Sid?" you call after them. You wonder what scared them.

You'll have to find them later. Right now, you have a score to settle with Larry and his pals. You just hope the spell worked!

quote:

You wonder where Larry, D.J., and Buddy are. They must have caught all the rabbits, since the furry creatures are not running around anymore.

You hear noises behind some other boxes.

"Let go of her!" Sid shouts.

"Leave me alone!" That was Joanie. Larry and his pals have cornered Joanie and Sid! Time to test this Terrifying Spell.

You rush over to the stack of boxes. Larry has his hands clenched into fists. D.J. and Buddy are sneering. Joanie and Sid cower in fear. You can't believe Larry and his friends are too stupid to notice that Joanie's ears and fingers are missing!

"Hey, you jerks!" you shout. "Leave them alone."

Larry turns at the sound of your voice. The Terrifying Spell must have worked. You watch his face go completely white. His knees actually begin knocking together.

D.J. faints, and Buddy covers his face with his hands and starts crying. Sid and Joanie also gaze at you in horror.

"Let's get out of here!" Sid exclaims. He grabs Joanie's hand, and they race out of the factory.

"You wimps!" you say to the three terrified bullies. "Don't ever bother us again."

"W-w-we wo-won't," Larry stammers.

That takes care of that, you tells yourself. You walk out of the factory smiling. But you don't smile for very long.

quote:

Everyone and everything flees in terror as you pass by. Dogs bark, children scream, and cats hiss.

What's going on? You glance at your reflection in a store window. You expect to see a hideous monster.

Instead you look as you always do. Nothing is different. So what makes you so terrifying?

The store owner spots you and quickly bolts his door. You have to do something fast. You must find Joanie and have her reverse the spell!

You hurry home. That's where you think Joanie will be.

But when you try to open the door, you discover it's chain-locked from the inside. "Joanie," you call through the crack in the door. "It's me! Let me in!"

"Go away!" Joanie shrieks. You peer through the tiny opening. Joanie is cowering under the dining-room table.

"It's just the spell," you explain. "As soon as you remove the spell, you won't be scared of me anymore."

"Go away!" Joanie screams again. This is going to be harder than you thought. Then you get an idea.

"Okay, Joanie, I'll go away if you'll give me the Magic Book." You can take the spell off yourself, you figure. "I'll even stand all the way by the curb. You can just slide the book through the crack in the door. Okay?" Will Joanie do it?

quote:

You wait for Joanie's answer. "I don't have the book anymore," she finally says, her voice trembling. "I brought it back to the Magic Shop in the mall. I didn't want to disappear."

Your heart sinks into your toes. Great, you think, now I have to get to the mall and convince the Magician to help me. And I'll terrify everyone I see on the way there.

But you don't know what else you can do. You hurry to the mall.

"AAAAAAAhhhhhh!!!!" A woman inside a house shrieks. She yanks down the window shade. You'd better hurry. With this kind of reaction, you might be run out of town!

You stick to the alleyways, hoping to avoid terrifying too many people or animals on your way to the mall.

Finally you reach the mall. You rush to the Magic Shop.

And have the scare of your life!

quote:

The Magic Shop! It's gone!

You stare at the empty spot in front of you. There is no sign that the Magic Shop has ever been there.

Without the Magician and the Magic Book, you won't be able to break this Terrifying Spell. You are going to be this way forever.

Maybe you can become a star in horror movies - where everything is a scream!

THE END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
Enslaved by an evil genie.
:siren:Cursed with a permanent aura of fear.:siren:

Achievements

Our options posted:

• Give the book back.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Give back the book.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

"I think we'd better give the Magician what he wants," you tell them.

Joanie and Sid nod. You sigh and walk over to the coffin.

But when you lift the lid, you discover that the book has disappeared!

"It's gone!" you shout. Joanie and Sid rush over to the coffin. They peer inside.

"Maybe there's a secret compartment," Sid suggests.

You hear footsteps. They sound as if they are coming closer. And closer.

"Do you think it's the Magician?" Joanie whispers.

"I don't know, but I sure don't want to find out," you tell her. "Let's hide in the coffin."

quote:

You, Joanie, and Sid climb into the empty coffin. The lid clicks shut above you. The three of you are squashed together.

"Watch your elbow!" Joanie snaps.

"Hey, that was my eye!" Sid complains. You get a mouthful of Joanie's hair.

You are starting to sweat. You feel as if you're going to suffocate. You have to get some air!

You place your feet on one side of the coffin and push. You try to create some space between you, Joanie, and Sid. Your shoulders press against the opposite side of the coffin. You hear a loud click.

"What was - ?" SWOOSH! The bottom of the coffin pops open and you are suddenly sliding down a metal chute. Faster and faster, tumbling over and over.

The chute comes to a sudden end. You crash-land onto the hard floor. Joanie and Sid hit the floor next to you.

"Look for the Magic Book!" you say, jumping up.

Joanie spots the Magic Book lying on the floor by a tall wooden cabinet. Just as she reaches for it, a man steps out from behind the cabinet. His foot lands squarely on the book.

quote:

The man is tall and dressed in a sequined white suit. He wears a blue mask that covers half his face. You can tell he has no idea he is standing on the Magic Book.

You want to keep it that way.

"Welcome, welcome, welcome," the Masked Man says. "Are you my new assistants?"

"Uh, why, yes we are," you say. You glance at Joanie. She gives you a little nod. Then you wink at Sid. He winks back. He understood your plan immediately.

You approach the Masked Man and shake his hand, pulling him off the book. "Nice to meet you," you say, walking him toward Sid. You glance back to see Joanie grab the Magic Book and slip it into her backpack.

"Oh, good," the Masked Man replies. "I can never seem to keep assistants. Now come along."

The Masked Man leads you over to a low table. You don't like what you see. On it is a long, gleaming sword and a very sharp saw. A long box lies on a table nearby.

"Which trick would you like to do?" the Masked Man asks. "The Cabinet of Swords? Or would you rather be sawn in half?"

You don't like those options. But he's waiting. Choose!

To be sawn in half, turn to PAGE 49.

Try your luck in the Cabinet of Swords on PAGE 55.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Magic Book of Spells

Bad Endings
Cursed with a permanent aura of fear.

Achievements

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Let's get sawn in half! Then there will be twice as many of us and we can gang up on him!

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Swords are cool, let's go with swords.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

CaptainCaveman posted:

Let's get sawn in half! Then there will be twice as many of us and we can gang up on him!

I love this plan.

PZ Smeltzenseltzer
Feb 3, 2008

fortran
~*with style*~

It’s on the cover of the book, so we pretty much have to get sawn in half.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

"I'll do the sawn-in-half trick," you say. At least you've seen this trick before. Who knows what a Cabinet of Swords is?

"Excellent!" The Masked Man claps his hands. The table with the long box on it rolls toward you. Taking your hand, the Masked Man helps you climb into the box.

You lie down in the hard wooden box. Your head sticks out on one end. "So what do I do?" you ask. You gaze up at the Masked Man. He looks awfully nervous.

"Leave it all to me," he tells you. He ties a blindfold over your eyes and plunks the lid on the box.

"If I can just remember what I'm supposed to do," you hear the Masked Man mutter.

You don't like the sound of that!

"Hey!" you shout. You pound on the lid. "I changed my mind! I want to do the other trick!"

But no one answers. You listen hard, trying to figure out what is going on.

Then you hear the sharp teeth of a large saw slicing through the lid of the box!

quote:

You pound harder on the box.

"Help!" you shout. "Get me out of here!"

The teeth of the saw slice back and forth, back and forth - inches from your stomach.

You can't take it anymore. You pass out.

When you open your eyes, you are still in the box. Your blindfold is off. You touch your stomach. Still in one piece. And there isn't any blood or pain. Just an odd tickling sensation.

I guess it really was just a trick, you tell yourself.

You can hear applause. "That was a great trick!" you hear Joanie say.

"Really cool," comes Sid's voice.

The lid is lifted. The Masked Man peers down at you.

"All right in there?" he asks.

"You bet!" You climb out of the box.

And immediately fall over.

What's wrong?

quote:

"What's wrong with me?" you ask. You try to stand up, but your muscles don't seem to be working.

You hear a gasp. Sid and Joanie rush toward you. The Masked Man holds out his hand and helps you to your feet.

You glance down. Your mouth drops open in horror.

Your feet! Your feet are on backwards!

You turn to the Masked Man. "What did you do to me?" you demand.

"The trick was going so well," he explains. "I sawed you in half without a problem. But then..." He shrugs his shoulders.

Sid and Joanie crowd around you. "You have to fix this!" Sid shouts. Joanie gazes at your backward bottom half in awe.

"I can try," the Masked Man says. He picks up the saw.

"No way!" you yell. "Who knows what kind of mistake he'll make next time!"

"Well," Joanie says, "Mom always complains that you don't know if you're coming or going. Now you have an excuse!"

THE END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Magic Book of Spells

Bad Endings
:siren:Sawn in half and put back together backwards.:siren:

Achievements

Our options posted:

• Try the Cabinet of Swords.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Let's try the Cabinet of swords!

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

Let's play Extreme Reverse KerPlunk!

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

I'm hoping Cabinet of Swords is a bad ending so we can 100% the book.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You hope the Cabinet of Swords won't be as deadly as it sounds.

"Let's get to work," the Masked Man commands, clapping his hands. "Now you stand there." He yanks Sid to one side of the wooden cabinet. "And you stand right there," he instructs Joanie, pulling her to the other side of the cabinet. Then he passes a hand over her face and mutters a few strange words.

Her expression goes completely blank.

He does the same thing to Sid. Sid stares into space - unmoving, unblinking.

"Wh-what did you do to them?" you stammer.

"It's for the trick!" the Masked Man informs you. "They're under my spell, of course!"

Of course.

"What kind of trick is this?" you ask.

"You'll see right now!" The Masked Man waves his hands over his head. Sid and Joanie open the doors of the tall cabinet. Inside you see the blades of ten swords running from one side of the cabinet to the other.

quote:

You watch as Joanie and Sid silently pull each sword from the cabinet. They place them on the low table with the other gleaming sword. When all ten swords are removed, the Masked Man waves his hands again. He pronounces some more strange-sounding words. Sid and Joanie push you into the cabinet. You hear a lock snap shut.

Silence and darkness surround you. This is worse than being squished in the coffin. At least there you had Sid and Joanie for company.

And you weren't waiting to find out what those swords were going to be used for.

You don't have to wait long. Something hard and cold slides in front of your ankles. You peek down.

Yikes! It's the long blade of a sword. And there are ten more to go!

quote:

It's a trick, you tell yourself. But how does it work?

A second sword pierces the cabinet. Without thinking, you lift your foot and step onto the sword as it slides through to the other side. Somehow, it manages to hold your weight.

That's it, you realize. I have to step on each sword as it comes through the cabinet wall.

It's difficult, but you manage to keep your balance as you climb on top of each sword that slides into the cabinet. By the time the final sword is pushed through, you are crouching in a tiny space at the top.

Now what? you wonder.

Then the swords are slowly pulled out again. As each sword slides out, you place a foot on the sword below it.

Finally, you are standing again at the bottom of the cabinet. The door flings open.

"Excellent!" The Masked Man congratulates you. "Such good work should be rewarded. What is it you want?"

"We want to get out of here," you tell the Masked Man. "How do we escape this crazy place?"

The Masked Man gazes at you sadly. "I'm sorry, but I can't tell you that."

quote:

"I can't tell you," the Masked Man continues, "but I know two people who can."

He snaps his fingers and Joanie and Sid awaken from their trance. They glance around, dazed.

"What happened?" Sid asks.

"The Masked Man is going to tell us how to get out of here," you explain.

"Good," Joanie says. "Because the sand in the hourglass has almost run out."

You hold up the tiny hourglass. It's still on the rope around your neck. You had almost forgotten about it. But Joanie is right. There is very little sand left. You are down to minutes, now.

"Who can tell us the way out?" you ask the Masked Man.

"You can ask Mr. Knowledge," he tells you. "He knows everything, and he answers all questions."

The Masked Man picks up a piece of rope and throws it into the air. The rope stiffens then rises up to the ceiling. It disappears into darkness.

"Mr. Knowledge is performing up there," he says, waving at the rope. "Or you can ask Ms. Cardsharp. She would know the way out. She's playing cards right now."

To meet Mr. Knowledge, climb the rope to PAGE 97.

If you want to meet Ms. Cardsharp, go to PAGE 82.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Magic Book of Spells

Bad Endings
Sawn in half and put back together backwards.

Achievements

PZ Smeltzenseltzer
Feb 3, 2008

fortran
~*with style*~
Climbing sucks. Let’s meet Ms. Cardsharp.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Climb the rope!

...again.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Cardsharp

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

"We choose Ms. Cardsharp," you say enthusiastically. "I love playing cards. I'm a champion."

"At what?" Joanie says. "Go Fish?"

You ignore that remark.

"Good choice," the Masked Man tells you. "If you win, Ms. Cardsharp will tell you anything you want to know."

Something occurs to you. "What if I lose?" you ask.

"Then you must do whatever the winner wants," is his response.

I'll just have to make sure I win, you tell yourself.

The Masked Man knocks twice on the front of the sword cabinet. The door swings open. The Masked Man gestures for you to step inside. Joanie and Sid climb in behind you.

The door creaks shut. The cabinet begins to spin round and round. You're getting very dizzy. Sid is looking pretty green. If the twirling doesn't stop soon, you're going to throw up!

quote:

The cabinet stops. Phew! You don't think you could have taken anymore. Your stomach settles down. Sid's face turns back to its normal color.

"That was fun!" Joanie exclaims. You glare at her.

The door to the cabinet is flung open. A woman with frizzy blonde hair smiles at you. She wears a red striped shirt, a black vest, and shiny black pants. She has a visor sitting low on her forehead. She shuffles a deck of cards.

"I hear you want to play a little cards," she says. "You've come to the right place." She talks so fast you can barely understand her. "We are just about to start a new game."

You, Joanie, and Sid step out of the cupboard. You find yourself in a small room with a large round table with five empty chairs.

The table is covered with a smooth green cloth. Yellow, red, and blue chips are piled on the edge of the table. You hear the rustling of the cards flying through Ms. Cardsharp's fingers.

"Now, meet your opponents," Ms. Cardsharp says.

quote:

"Meet Mr. Lucky Luck," Ms. Cardsharp announces.

A short man with bright red hair enters the room. He sits down at the table. He is wearing a shirt covered with four-leaf clovers. Rabbits' feet hang from his belt. There's a horseshoe around his neck.

"Meet Ms. Nine Lives," Ms. Cardsharp shouts.

"Meow," says a tall woman. She is dressed like a black cat. Two cat ears stick up on either side of her head.

"Meet Mr. Rambler Gambler!"

A tall man in a sparkling gold suit walks into the room and takes his seat. Diamonds sparkle on his fingers.

"Well, that's our little group," Ms. Cardsharp says. "Take a seat, and let the games begin." With that, all the other players sit down at the table.

You glance over at Sid and Joanie. They each give you a thumbs-up sign. That makes you feel a little better. You pull out a chair and sit down.

"What shall we play?" Mr. Lucky Luck asks. "How about Kaboobie? I'm lucky at Kaboobie."

Uh-oh. You've never heard of Kaboobie. What if they only play games you don't know?

quote:

"Why don't we play draw?" you manage to say. You usually do well at Draw, and it's safer than trying to play a game you don't know.

Everyone seems to like the idea. Ms. Cardsharp does some fancy shuffling. Then she takes a card from the middle of the deck and places it on the table in front of her. She passes the deck to her left.

The deck of cards is passed around the table. Each person takes a card and puts it facedown on the table. Then the deck of cards reaches you. With a trembling hand, you pull a card from the deck. You take a deep breath and cross your fingers for luck.

What card did you draw?

Find a deck of playing cards. Shuffle them and then, without looking, draw one card. Put the card facedown in front of you. Then take a deep breath and turn to PAGE 74.

quote:

Butterflies dance in your stomach as everyone at the table turns over their cards.

Ms. Cardsharp turns over the ten of clubs.

Ms. Nine Lives turns over the jack of hearts.

Mr. Rambler Gambler turns over the king of spades.

Mr. Lucky Luck turns over the five of clubs.

Your card is still facedown on the table. You are afraid to turn it over. Only an ace can beat the king. If you win, Ms. Cardsharp will have to tell you the way out. If you lose, you'll have to do whatever the winner says.

Turn over your card. Is it an ace? Did you beat the king of spades?

If you won, turn to PAGE 104.

If you lost, turn to PAGE 63.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Magic Book of Spells

Bad Endings

Achievements

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

yeah, I'm a loser, baby

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Definitely lost.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_asNhzXq72w

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Last time I checked, the three of hearts was not an ace, so I guess we lost.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Sorry. I only play Fizzbin and Cripple Mr. Onion. I think that means I lost.

PZ Smeltzenseltzer
Feb 3, 2008

fortran
~*with style*~

Nope!

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You lost. Your card doesn't beat the king of spades.

"It's only a card game," you say, rising from the table. "We'll find our way out of here on our own."

"Not so fast," Mr. Rambler Gambler says sharply. "You have to do what I tell you. That was the rule. That's why we allowed you into the game."

You sit down. You won't go back on a promise.

Mr. Rambler Gambler leaves the room. When he comes back int, he is carrying a rhinestone suit and a paper bag.

"This is my favorite suit," Mr. Rambler Gambler tells you. "Each and every one of these little rhinestones here needs to be polished. But don't worry," he adds. "Your pals can help you." He empties the paper bag on the floor. Three baby-sized toothbrushes and a bottle of pink liquid roll out.

"I suggest you get started," Mr. Rambler Gambler says, handing you the suit.

You gaze down at the suit in your hands. There must be 4,000 rhinestones sewn onto it.

The grains of sand in the hourglass are going to run out long before you are finished cleaning the suit. You start cleaning. You almost wish the Magician would hurry up and find you. At least that way you'll come to a less boring

END.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Magic Book of Spells

Bad Endings
:siren:Spent the rest of our time limit polishing a rhinestone suit.:siren:

Achievements

Our options posted:

• Meet Mr. Knowledge.
  • Draw an ace.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Let's see Mr. Knowledge instead.

PZ Smeltzenseltzer
Feb 3, 2008

fortran
~*with style*~

Should’ve shuffled first, I guess. It’s an ace this time.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

I drew the top card of my deck and it was just a picture of Lemmy Kilmister

What could it meeean

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Mr. Rambler Gambler's task for us was actually completely reasonable, I was expecting like, "and now...you have to turn into a card...FOREVER!".

This book is good. Just feels like an actual kids' supernatural adventure story all the way through. Also, props on the use of "Ms.".

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gloomy Rube posted:

I drew the top card of my deck and it was just a picture of Lemmy Kilmister

What could it meeean

It means you drew the baddest of the breed, the only card you need

The ACE OF SPADES

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Mr Knowledge

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I would also like to see Mr. Knowledge.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Tied, next vote gets it.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Metallica-01-Ace-Of-Spades.mp3

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

This is it. You can't stall anymore. Everyone is waiting for you to turn over your card.

You can't look. You flip over the card with your eyes closed.

You hear loud gasps at the table.

"Hooray!" you hear Joanie shout.

"You did it!" Sid cheers.

You did it? Your eyes open wide. You look down at the card in front of you.

It's an ace! You won!

"Yes!" you cry. You jump up from your seat. Joanie and Sid throw their arms around you. The three of you jump up and down.

"I did it! I did it!" you chant.

No one at the table is moving.

"Big deal," Ms. Cardsharp says flatly. "We're playing Five Hundred Card Draw. You have to do it four hundred ninety-nine more times!"

THE END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Magic Book of Spells

Bad Endings
Spent the rest of our time limit polishing a rhinestone suit.
:siren:Spent the rest of our time limit playing Five Hundred Card Draw.:siren:

Achievements

Our options posted:

• Meet Mr. Knowledge.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Mr. Knowledge, I presume.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Maybe Mr. Knowledge will be able to teach us enough statistics that we'll realize gambling is a terrible idea.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You decide to ask Mr. Knowledge the way out. But first you have to climb up the rope.

"You want me to climb up that rope?" Sid asks. "No way! I'm the one who gets picked last in gym for every team."

"Come on," you say. "At least you can try. Joanie and I will help you. I'll give you a boost up on my shoulders."

"It's easy," Joanie assures Sid. She scrambles up the rope and disappears into the darkness. This doesn't seem to make Sid feel any better.

You kneel down and let Sid stand on your shoulders. Slowly, slowly, you stand up. Your knees wobble.

"No more super sundaes for you, Sid," you gasp. "You weigh a ton."

"That's right," Sid says. "Tease me about my weight."

"Aw - forget it," you say. "Just climb."

Sid manages to put one hand over the other and climbs up the rope. As soon as he lifts off your shoulders, you scurry up behind him. "You can do it, Sid," you encourage him.

But can he?

quote:

As you near the top, you check the sand in the hourglass. Not much time left. You give Sid one last shove. He falls forward over the edge of the opening in the ceiling. You pull yourself up and over, flopping onto the floor beside him.

"No time to rest," you tell the others. "The sand has almost run out. We've got to find Mr. Knowledge."

As soon as you say "Mr. Knowledge," lights flash on. You are standing in the back of another theater. A drumroll announces that the performance is about to begin. You, Sid, and Joanie quickly find empty seats.

A man in a dark brown suit walks onstage. He pulls on his thin mustache and peers at the audience.

"Ask me any question," he says. "I know all the answers. I'm Mr. Knowledge."

"What's a henway?" someone shouts from the audience.

Do you know?

Yes? Go to PAGE 26.

No? Go to PAGE 38.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Magic Book of Spells

Bad Endings
Spent the rest of our time limit polishing a rhinestone suit.
Spent the rest of our time limit playing Five Hundred Card Draw.

Achievements

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

About three pounds!