Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

ALFbrot posted:

I once considered starting a blog that would post a photo of one background actor a day, in an attempt to determine who was the ugliest man in Star Wars: A New Hope

Aveleyman already beat you to it.
http://www.aveleyman.com/FilmCredit.aspx?FilmID=18163

It still delights me that Porkins was probably in almost every big ground-breaking blockbuster: Star Wars, has the last line in Raiders Of The Lost Ark, Flash Gordon, Detective Eckhart in Burton's Batman.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

You never see his face but David Prowse is pretty ugly
gently caress you say?

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Young Freud posted:

gently caress you say?

Yeah I'd let him choke me with his FORCE*

*dick

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

That guy is so great. Just in the middle of this hive of villains that guy really loved his pet monster and there are some alien dudes patting him on the back trying to comfort him

I remember feeling so terrible watching that scene as a kid.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/10/the-snowman-director-explains-movie-terrible-tomas-alfredson-1201888133/

Who knew cutting 10 to 15 percent of your mystery thriller would make it bad???

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
That movie'e gonna bomb so hard, they arent even showing it at my local amc

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

quote:

While Alfredson is comfortable admitting the movie suffered from production mistakes, he’s still willing defend its use of geography. “It’s not a documentary about the geography of Norway, I wanted to make a fictive thriller,” he says. “So even if not everything is geographically correct, I don’t give a poo poo.”

this should be stuck to the top of every cineD thread

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

GrandpaPants posted:

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/10/the-snowman-director-explains-movie-terrible-tomas-alfredson-1201888133/

How does that even happen? This is not some tiny film.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

GrandpaPants posted:

They've suddenly started airing new TV spots for this movie that made sure to tell you Martin Scorsese was the executive producer. They have a completely different tone compared to the laughably terrible trailer I've seen in the theater a few times now. It just feels like they're desperate to do anything not to make this movie bomb.

If I get bored I might still go see it thanks to Movie Pass.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
The first time I saw a trailer for the Snowman I thought it was some kinda weird comedy parody of a thriller. It is just so bizarrely bad.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

FishBulb posted:

The first time I saw a trailer for the Snowman I thought it was some kinda weird comedy parody of a thriller. It is just so bizarrely bad.

I just don't understand why Tomas Alfredson decided to make the film in the first place, it's the most generic-sounding thriller ever. There's no hook that's different than any other crime procedural out there.

Also where's my Smiley's People??

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the book is airport-fiction tier poo poo, I have no idea why this was touted and marketed so heavily.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

DLC Inc posted:

the book is airport-fiction tier poo poo, I have no idea why this was touted and marketed so heavily.

What other competition is there at the moment?

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Between The Snowman and Geostorm, this is a good weekend for godawful cinema, expect Boo 2 to be #1. There is also Christian film Same Kind of Different as Me, which sounds like it goes all Magical Negro, but it's based on a true story, so if you criticize it, God will give you leprosy

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Iron Crowned posted:

What other competition is there at the moment?

I wish I could say Killing Of A Sacred Deer but there's no way that'll be in as many cinemas

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

FishBulb posted:

It's a deadly serious movie about a snowman, that's playing in cinemas that are still running a clown horror movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The Snowman is godawful. Brutal.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

well why not posted:

It's a deadly serious movie about a snowman, that's playing in cinemas that are still running a clown horror movie.

They should just re-release Jack Frost

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
My favourite part of the Snowman trailer is they try to make getting hit by a snowball horrifying.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

wyoming posted:

My favourite part of the Snowman trailer is they try to make getting hit by a snowball horrifying.

It's actually one of the handful of effective bits in the movie. The rest? Balls.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

They should just re-release Jack Frost

1997 or 1998?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

well why not posted:

1997 or 1998?

1997 of course

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Harry Hole

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

feedmyleg posted:

I just don't understand why Tomas Alfredson decided to make the film in the first place, it's the most generic-sounding thriller ever. There's no hook that's different than any other crime procedural out there.

Also where's my Smiley's People??

The Honourable Schoolboy is way better. The sequence in Cambodia when the Khmer's are attacking, ugh it's so good.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

DLC Inc posted:

I've never actually read the source material, but was Silence of the Lambs somehow above airport fiction tier?

I thought The Snowman's trailer looked alright and it had a solid cast and great director, so I was hoping it would have at least been passably entertaining.

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man
The only thing I was wondering after seeing The Snowman was what the hell was going on with Val Kilmer in that movie? I know he's had some throat problems (cancer?) and has probably had some surgery, but wasn't it obvious as hell that his voice was completely dubbed by some dude who didn't sound like him at all? The voice didn't even sync with his lips' movement, and at times Kilmer wasn't even speaking, yet there was that voice. What the gently caress?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

well why not posted:

wyoming posted:

With all of my knowledge of this movie coming from this thread until now I thought The Snowman was about a hitman like Iceman. Not a literal snowman. :psyduck:

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

mycot posted:

With all of my knowledge of this movie coming from this thread until now I thought The Snowman was about a hitman like Iceman. Not a literal snowman. :psyduck:

It's not, it's about a serial killer who leaves snowmen as his calling card.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

ALFbrot posted:

It's not, it's about a serial killer who leaves snowmen as his calling card.

Nothing will convince me this isn't a comedy movie.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The premise is definitely on some thin ice.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Neo Rasa posted:

The premise is definitely on some thin ice.

Partly why it's been getting a Frosty reception.

It must have had a snowball's chance in hell of getting made but some button-down producer must have used the carrot and stick approach.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Lobok posted:

Partly why it's been getting a Frosty reception.

It must have had a snowball's chance in hell of getting made but some button-down producer must have used the carrot and stick approach.

You're too much.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

You know what killed the dinosaurs? The Snowman (2017)

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Scandinavian-Noir is still(?) Pretty popular in the UK. They probably missed the boat on that in the US though.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I wonder if the unfilmed 15% couldve even saved it

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

got any sevens posted:

I wonder if the unfilmed 15% couldve even saved it

It depends on what was in the 15% but Seven and Silence of the Lambs would both be loving incomprehensible and pointless if you took away the right 15%.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Is there any clarification on how 15% went unfilmed? Because the director has made comments like "when we started cutting we discovered that a lot was missing," and, while I have no experience with the process, I would have thought that keeping track of what you have and haven't shot would be someone's job during filmmaking.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well that person maybe did a lovely job

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

You know what killed the dinosaurs? The Snowman (2017)

I mean, it is a big enough bomb...

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy is amazing so it's definitely not that he's a bad filmmaker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

GonSmithe posted:

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy is amazing so it's definitely not that he's a bad filmmaker.

Really wish we had it on Netflix up here. I saw the movie in theatres but I just finished the book and would like to see the movie again.

Maybe our library has it.

• Locked thread