Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

You have something substantive to add or did you OD on sodium?

I'm perfectly happy to admit I'm wrong if it turns out that I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Besides tons of literature and studies on the subject, and plenty of case studies of people getting healthier after cutting down on sodium levels, I don't have anything to add to the subject, no.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Sodium Chloride posted:

I've never seen that half packet poo poo in the UK.

This Indo Mie Mi Gorgeng hot and spicy lists the full packet details (2g of salt per packet :gonk:) and per 100g.

I definitely remember that in the 80s and possibly into the early 90s the nutrition labeling in the US was plagued with half-package-itis. Like a 12-oz can of soda would have 1.5 or 2 servings in it. :rolleyes:

But there was some kind of regulatory upheaval some time in the early 90s (probably about when the "Nutrition Info" box format was standardized) when suddenly everyone put "realistic" serving sizes on their packages. Yes that bag of chips contains ONE SERVING of chips. That Snickers bar has ONE SERVING of candy. You are not saving half for later. It caused some sticker shock but it was a glorious time, thinking that for once we could trust that the big black number to be the number of calories you're getting by eating the thing in your hand.

But eventually apparently they stopped feeling the pressure and have started sneaking in the less-than-full-package serving sizes again.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Julias posted:

Besides tons of literature and studies on the subject, and plenty of case studies of people getting healthier after cutting down on sodium levels, I don't have anything to add to the subject, no.

So you're going to add some of those then? Recent ones? Because all the recent metastudies and publications I can find are about how the fear of salt for those without preexisting hypertension are somewhere between overblown and completely inaccurate. In fact, following the low US government guidelines is correlated with an increased likelihood of heart disease.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Julias posted:

Hold on, I've got an actual packet here:

That just ain't right.

For comparison

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Skimming recent(since 2013) studies about it seems to support what The Bloop says, along with my anecdotal experience from college clinical chemistry classes* - salt intake doesn't really matter if you're otherwise healthy, since your kidneys are extremely good at getting rid of the excess.

*For extra :can:, similar stuff was said about cholesterol intake - your dietary fat ratios matter way more than the cholesterol you eat.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I got a personal bottle of chocolate milk the other day, a larger size than the normal but not by a huge amount and it was broken down into 6 servings. I could believe that if it was like a gallon of chocolate milk but this drat thing was pretty clearly being sold as a single person affair 😐

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Haifisch posted:

*For extra :can:, similar stuff was said about cholesterol intake - your dietary fat ratios matter way more than the cholesterol you eat.

Yeah, dietary cholesterol doesn't seem to correlate at all to blood cholesterol for otherwise healthy people, so eat all the low-fat but curiously-high-cholesterol crustaceans you can afford!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Aesop Poprock posted:

I got a personal bottle of chocolate milk the other day, a larger size than the normal but not by a huge amount and it was broken down into 6 servings. I could believe that if it was like a gallon of chocolate milk but this drat thing was pretty clearly being sold as a single person affair 😐

Packages clearly intended for one person to eat in one sitting that are labeled as multiple servings are pretty much complete horseshit, yes.

Sodas, chips, candies, sometimes even things like cans of sardines - oh, yes I'll keep half of this peeled open can for later, along with half a can of soda.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I have a package of legume-based puffs in the kitchen and the nutritional info is based on "per 39 chips"

I guess that is the ideal amount of legume-based puffs to eat, but I wonder how they divined that number, and if some fel augury was involved.

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

It's called the Snackwell effect or something, seriously.
People see a food is 'low-cal' or 'low-fat' and that translates into "So, I can eat the whole bag!"

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I have low blood pressure so I get told by my doctor to eat high sodium foods when I take medication for my tremors which also lowers blood pressure or else I'll pass out. Was also told not to take the medication while hiking or I might lose consciousness on a cliff and die.

SO pass the instant ramen because my life is too complicated without it.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
Sodium restriction— largely useless unless you have serious congestive heart failure with an EF<20%— is not the same thing as abstaining from extreme excess of sodium.

The research terms you want to look for are “hypernatremia” and “osmotic fluid electrolyte imbalance.”

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

there are sodium lite/free salt products, salt derail is solved and can stop.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Are there iodized salt conspiracy theorists like with fluoridated water?

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

The Bloop posted:

Why is everyone so goddamn paranoid about sodium?

Physician-advised low-sodium diet due to kidney, liver, and pancreas issues, in my case.

Try it for a week or two. Be vigilant and keep your intake at 1.5 grams a day or fewer (after consulting with a physician to make sure you're good to go doing so). You may just be surprised at the outcome. I can actually taste things now and it's wonderful. If a genie popped up and magically fixed my angry organs, I'd definitely still stick with it.

Haifisch posted:

This is still a heavily-debated issue, but as far as I understand it, when you eat an egg, the cholesterol in it doesn't just zap right into your bloodstream. You digest it like you would any other source of energy. You get into trouble when you overdo it on calories in general, because our bodies are wonderfully efficient and super good at storing poo poo. In the end it doesn't matter who's right or wrong--I think everyone agrees it's a bad idea to go nutso on calories unless you have a specific need to do so.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
This is some goddamn Baader-Meinhoff poo poo right here. I saw 2 people in different places on reddit bitching about how we eat too much salt and I check this thread for the first time in a while and it's on the last page.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Data Graham posted:

I definitely remember that in the 80s and possibly into the early 90s the nutrition labeling in the US was plagued with half-package-itis. Like a 12-oz can of soda would have 1.5 or 2 servings in it. :rolleyes:
I like when they do the opposite in order to overstate the nutritional value. Like, a pack of baby spinach that's labelled "one serve", like as though you're just going to sit down and eat the whole thing. I guess you probably could if you added some salad dressing and ate it like that, but if you're using it as an ingredient in anything then it's definitely going to be split between multiple people/meals.

The Bloop posted:

Packages clearly intended for one person to eat in one sitting that are labeled as multiple servings are pretty much complete horseshit, yes.

Sodas, chips, candies, sometimes even things like cans of sardines - oh, yes I'll keep half of this peeled open can for later, along with half a can of soda.
I have never in my life eaten an entire can of sardines in one sitting. That's crazy.

angerbeet posted:

I have a package of legume-based puffs in the kitchen and the nutritional info is based on "per 39 chips"

I guess that is the ideal amount of legume-based puffs to eat, but I wonder how they divined that number, and if some fel augury was involved.
They probably picked a specific nutrient they wanted to keep below a particular value and worked out the serving size based on that.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Glottis posted:

This is some goddamn Baader-Meinhoff poo poo right here. I saw 2 people in different places on reddit bitching about how we eat too much salt and I check this thread for the first time in a while and it's on the last page.

I just ate a packet of instant ramen. Dry. Uncooked. Come at me thread.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Arivia posted:

Don't have to. You are going to die from a horrible, horrible, agonizing heart attack from all the sodium tonight.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

They ate it dry. Should be safe unless they also snorted the seasoning packet.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Scarodactyl posted:

They ate it dry. Should be safe unless they also snorted the seasoning packet.

Don't the people who eat it that way sprinkle the seasoning on it too? I can't imagine enjoying plain unseasoned dry pasta. That seems more like a last resort kind of thing to avoid starvation if you're cut off from boiling water.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Don't the people who eat it that way sprinkle the seasoning on it too? I can't imagine enjoying plain unseasoned dry pasta. That seems more like a last resort kind of thing to avoid starvation if you're cut off from boiling water.

But it’s crunchy and it has so much salt in it. I like salt. (I’ve been on a diuretic for years, so I REALLY like salt.)

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
My mom bought low-sodium salt the other day. I think my dad might have secretly thrown it out.

Arivia posted:

This is literally the best thing! They have snack ramen in Korea and it's a totally normal thing.

I don't like cooked instant noodles, but I'll eat them raw. Oh, and I guess I will eat the cooked ones with scrambled eggs if I'm really feeling like hungover trash.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

My mom bought low-sodium salt the other day. I think my dad might have secretly thrown it out.

She bought a thing of chloride? :v:

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

mng posted:

She bought a thing of chloride? :v:

It uses potassium, apparently. This is the brand she bought: LoSalt.

I was making them dakgalbi and she tried to get me to use this instead of soy sauce. :laffo:

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I'm still amused every time I see "Low salt Saltines" on the store shelf. Like, I'm pretty sure I can tell what every step in the chain of logic was, but it still ended up somewhere stupid.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

"Serving size" is bullshit. In the EU, caloric information must be given per 100g (or ml). Some will also include the calories based on how many grams are in the package alongside the 100g standard for people bad at math.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

It uses potassium, apparently. This is the brand she bought: LoSalt.

I was making them dakgalbi and she tried to get me to use this instead of soy sauce. :laffo:

I tried a similar product and was not impressed. For the uninitiated: imagine all the texture of salt with none of the flavor.

It's not all bad, though. If you are on diuretics and at risk for hypokalemia, adding it to meals will help you not die painfully :yotj:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I tried a similar product and was not impressed. For the uninitiated: imagine all the texture of salt with none of the flavor.
I tried KCl once too. I was certainly raised with the old school salt=bad mindset (which had all the correlation != causation problems as linking aluminum and Alzheimer's).

It had a bad metallic taste to me, and none of the satisfying "saltiness" that NaCl provides.. I hated it.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tendales posted:

I'm still amused every time I see "Low salt Saltines" on the store shelf. Like, I'm pretty sure I can tell what every step in the chain of logic was, but it still ended up somewhere stupid.

They're just unsalted crackers.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Manuel Calavera posted:

They're just unsalted crackers.

I like unsalted things. I prefer to buy "less salt" chips whenever I'm in a chip buying mood

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Iron Crowned posted:

I like unsalted things. I prefer to buy "less salt" chips whenever I'm in a chip buying mood

You probably buy unfrosted poptarts too.

Low sodium soy sauce! That's the whole point! :v:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I did low sodium soy sauce for a while because I found it too salty, then eventually figured out it's just Kikkoman is salty as gently caress and there are other, much better kinds.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The Bloop posted:

You probably buy unfrosted poptarts too.

Low sodium soy sauce! That's the whole point! :v:

Other than the Chocolate Chip Pop Tarts, bring on the frosting!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Enfys posted:

"Serving size" is bullshit. In the EU, caloric information must be given per 100g (or ml). Some will also include the calories based on how many grams are in the package alongside the 100g standard for people bad at math.

"Servings per container x Calories per serving" is some pretty simple math, how is doing it per 100g any easier?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

After I discovered Spam, I decided that Spam Lite is a lot better. Only about 660 calories per can instead of about 1000 and has less sodium, so it even tastes less hideously salty than regular Spam.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
I frequently administer KCl to my pts and often have to crush it, or at least break up the massive horse-choking pills it comes in. The pills are so loving huge that if you can get one down whole without gagging I assume you suck dick professionally, and there is no way your cute old grandma can deepthroat 40mEq of potassium with her morning diuretics when she can barely swallow scrambled eggs.

My pts report that the crushed KCl tastes “like poison” or “just won’t go down” or “must be chemotherapy by mistake.” Better than the orange-flavored potassium slurry they’d get otherwise, but I can’t imagine using that poo poo on food.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

It tastes like the faded ghost of salt. Not salty. Almost like eating MSG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

elise the great posted:

I frequently administer KCl to my pts and often have to crush it, or at least break up the massive horse-choking pills it comes in. The pills are so loving huge that if you can get one down whole without gagging I assume you suck dick professionally, and there is no way your cute old grandma can deepthroat 40mEq of potassium with her morning diuretics when she can barely swallow scrambled eggs.

My pts report that the crushed KCl tastes “like poison” or “just won’t go down” or “must be chemotherapy by mistake.” Better than the orange-flavored potassium slurry they’d get otherwise, but I can’t imagine using that poo poo on food.

I was prescribed big rear end potassium pills for a while because I had an electrolyte imbalance and was working a job where I was constantly sweating and drinking bottled water.

Those pills were absurdly large and I tried to swallow one whole the first time and almost had a panic attack. After that I just chewed them up and drank a bottle of water with them. They didn't taste good for sure, but it was NBD