Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

JBP posted:

Ikit Claw making GBS threads lightning everywhere as a LL would be cool.

Wasn't he the guy who blew up the moon? That was like the one good thing in end times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Diogines posted:

Is there any word on if the ogres will be DLC?

They'll probably be game 3 since they're one of the few races with an army list that isn't represented yet and their homeland is off of the map.

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

Turned a Mazda campaign into a slog by putzing around Naggarond for far too many turns, finally burning Cult of Pleasure to the ground after they kept sneaking small armies off to recolonize some of the razed ruins. Maybe would have been worth my while if ruins weren't terrible.

If I hadn't gotten a bunch of feral dinos from that rite I would have been destroyed by attrition, but even after all that it feels like I should have just went south and taken Morathi's peace terms. It's turn 100 and I only own from mirror to Pahuax. Might just restart anyway since this was a pretty helpful/fun first campaign (haven't played TW since Shogun). Lizardmen are intuitive enough. Anvil/dinos/chameleons and terradons to taste.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

TheLastRoboKy posted:

I renamed the White Lion Lord you can get Korhil, I imagine many people did.

Pretty heartless to do that to a make a wish kid.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Started up a Skrolk Skaven campaign after wrapping my Mazda Lizard campaign.

What's this? My infantry can actually maneuver? I never realized how loving slow Lizard infantry is until now, but I will miss marching a large wall of saurus across the battlefield like a slowly crashing wave... and that working most of the time. I have to get back into these tactics I guess, these rats have no armor or morale. But man, they're are a lot of them.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Whorelord posted:

Wasn't he the guy who blew up the moon? That was like the one good thing in end times

Nope, he blew up Nagash's black pyramid, destroyed Karak Karadrin, and that is the sum total of Ikit Claw's role in the End Times.

He does, however, wear powered armor and has a warp lightning thrower for an arm. He's the battle leader of Clan Skyre, the clan that builds all the Skavens' warp-powered high tech stuff.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
I went to go finish my beastman campaign in 1 before realising I quit because it was just a slog to wipe out a few empire minors before some kind of final battle. Also I forgot about the lack of faction specific saves.

Over 150 combined hours in hams plus another 40 in shogun and I've only ever finished two campaigns, I don't know how any of you do it.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Gitro posted:

Over 150 combined hours in hams plus another 40 in shogun and I've only ever finished two campaigns, I don't know how any of you do it.

Thousands of hours in various civ games mashing that end turn button while waiting for the spaceship to finish have trained me for this game and all other turn based endgame slogs

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

sassassin posted:

Pretty heartless to do that to a make a wish kid.

Well he didn't wish that I wouldn't do that so it's fair game.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I actually never finished a TW1 game, but I finished 2 as Kroq-gar and have like 3 short campaign wins in S2 since that had actually decent win conditions

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

You guys have got to at least finish a Bretonnia campaign. The win conditions and final battle against chaos are pretty good

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Bit late but also bear in mind that boosting a settlement to tier 3 as Skaven also lets you max out income from it extremely quickly since Skaven income comes from every building it has, and you can get every slot filled in like 2 turns maximum for minor settlements. Not to mention being able to get walls set up ASAP.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

toasterwarrior posted:

Bit late but also bear in mind that boosting a settlement to tier 3 as Skaven also lets you max out income from it extremely quickly since Skaven income comes from every building it has, and you can get every slot filled in like 2 turns maximum for minor settlements. Not to mention being able to get walls set up ASAP.

^^^This^^^. The quick wall speed alone is pretty useful.

I noticed that High Elves are no slouches when it comes to expanding aggressively either. They get research to improve build times and several skills that cut down on global recruitment times. I guess I'm weird in that I mainly use my Influence to recruit the best of the best when it comes to lords and heroes, because some of those 40 influence costing traits are REALLY good, like almost Legendary Lord good.

If anything, Norsca needs those -1/2/3 global recruitment time skills and research, because they seem to have 3x the time required for global recruitment, and it feels reasonable that while the base time is slow, you could greatly speed it up if you specialized in that direction.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Panfilo posted:

I noticed that High Elves are no slouches when it comes to expanding aggressively either. They get research to improve build times and several skills that cut down on global recruitment times. I guess I'm weird in that I mainly use my Influence to recruit the best of the best when it comes to lords and heroes, because some of those 40 influence costing traits are REALLY good, like almost Legendary Lord good.

I don't think you're that weird, they seem to be actually stronger for support than even the legendaries if you just want a really BS army. There's one I saw that had +20 ranged weapon damage and gave the enemy -12% missile resistance which for HE is just unbeatably powerful.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
I really like caster lords but after a skrolk game I don't think I've hit the limit on my Mazda campaign 15 turns in.

I just realised every caster lord starts on that continent, drat. Gonna be a tough wait for mortal empires.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Gitro posted:

I really like caster lords but after a skrolk game I don't think I've hit the limit on my Mazda campaign 15 turns in.

I just realised every caster lord starts on that continent, drat. Gonna be a tough wait for mortal empires.

Well you're in luck, its out next week.

Also, afaik Teclis has been moved to the opposite side of Lustria in mortal empires. So he's much closer to home.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Southpaugh posted:

Well you're in luck, its out next week.

Also, afaik Teclis has been moved to the opposite side of Lustria in mortal empires. So he's much closer to home.

I know, but I really want to have a few runs with the old races and if I play 1 I'm going to burn out on them before it's released. And New Colossus comes out at the same time.

Gonna round up some goatmen and have us a right good time.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
This 4 vs 4 on a custom map is pretty marvellous.

https://youtu.be/Mu7UUYEhK3E

That early Burning Skull is the stuff of dreams

Noonsa
Jan 18, 2003
For the love of god, anything other than the
Any tips for Skaven v. Lizards? It takes me 2 full stacks to take barely take out 1 stack. I guess slingers are absolutely useless since lizards have shields and armor. And their stupid dinosaurs murder all my spear rats, especially when they go berserk.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Slingers are your low level solution, what they lack in damage they make up in volume. Night runner skirmishers can also just get in a position to hit them where their shields are no use.

The sooner you can get Globadiers and Artillery the better though.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Noonsa posted:

Any tips for Skaven v. Lizards? It takes me 2 full stacks to take barely take out 1 stack. I guess slingers are absolutely useless since lizards have shields and armor. And their stupid dinosaurs murder all my spear rats, especially when they go berserk.

If you cannot afford the usual 6-9 skaven warcrime units, the Gutter/Night Runners are pretty good against lizards. They won't kill them(unless you have the poison variety) but cause they run faster you can use the runners to have all those saurus or temple guards break from the main army and kite them around.

As for the big dinos, yeah you going to need the Warp Cannons to deal with those, or bog them down with Menace Bellow/Vermintide spawns.

Other than that, just remember that as Skaven you can recover a lot faster from loses than any other faction, so keep throwing thrashslave armies against them.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Are death globes a strict upgrade from poison globes? I notice they have different damage bonuses, so is each one better suited for different situations?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Death globes are anti infantry, poison globes are anti large. Death globes are generally better, but poison globes are handy to have around because Skaven don't get a lot of anti-large options.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Noonsa posted:

The trick with skaven slingers is to use their speed advantage and flank around the main scrum and pelt the lizards in their rear end with rocks. A shielded unit cannot block as effectively from the flanks (or at all from behind) and IIRC rear armor is lower too so you're more likely to do damage. Keep them in skirmish stance and they will outrun anything that's not cavalry/monster speed or better. Just keep an eye out for javelin skinks because they will kill slaves in droves

The Bramble posted:

Are death globes a strict upgrade from poison globes? I notice they have different damage bonuses, so is each one better suited for different situations?

Deathglobes are your infantry warcrimes unit, poison globes are your cav and monster warcrimes unit.

Edit: As far as skaven vs lizard matchups in general: Rush artillery buildings and put 4 of them in every army. Skaven have some of the most ridiculous artillery in the game and will savage lizards once you hit critical mass with them. Warp Lightning is your cannon equivalent monster sniper and the catapult will work over infantry

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Oct 19, 2017

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
I picked up the game last week and I'm addicted. I've always been awful at RTS and war games like this, Warcraft, Starcraft, you name it. Even on easy mode with High Elves (which I imagine is the most starter friendly faction) I've been losing a lot.

So I found the video playlist in the OP and HOLY poo poo I can't believe how dumb I've been playing. I mean, the guys with spears are more expensive than sword guys, why wouldn't I just fill my army with them???

I can't wait to start over and actually build armies based on what I'm going up against instead of taking two of everything like I thought a "balanced" force should be. I'm still a bit lost when it comes to what heroes are best per situation but I can't remember last time I was this into a game. Also this thread rules.

Any other good guides out there? I have the first game too, so if I install that it'll combine the map?

E: Another question, how many armies do you raise? As many as you can reliably afford so you keep some defending important towns while the good expensive poo poo presses the front?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
So I love my Skrolk campaign even if its in the process of collapsing. I figured out I can have an absurd amount of stacks made up entirely of Skavenslaves and used my crushing numbers advantage to overwhelm the nearby lizards and dwarfs. The key to making them work seems to be just including some form of magic as a force multiplier (doesn't matter which kind) since repeatedly dropping wither or warp lightning on large packs of enemies is all the slaves need to actually win. I've gotten a stupid amount of heroic victories off lizards and dwarfs this way.

The problem is that the strategy is stone dead against Teclis and his High Elves. Turns out if you have enough archers you can rout the entire force of slaves+wizard before lines even meet. Combined that with his phoenix sniping my wizard and it starts to feel like a bunch of toddlers fighting a tank. So now i'm in a position where I have to retrofit 90% of my armies into something capable of beating archer spam or starting over with a new campaign. Honestly I don't know which would be more work at this point.

Anyway thats my dumb story about how I thought I found out how to break the skaven in half but instead gimped myself forever.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Quote is not edit

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

LaSalsaVerde posted:

Turned a Mazda campaign into a slog by putzing around Naggarond for far too many turns, finally burning Cult of Pleasure to the ground after they kept sneaking small armies off to recolonize some of the razed ruins. Maybe would have been worth my while if ruins weren't terrible.

If I hadn't gotten a bunch of feral dinos from that rite I would have been destroyed by attrition, but even after all that it feels like I should have just went south and taken Morathi's peace terms. It's turn 100 and I only own from mirror to Pahuax. Might just restart anyway since this was a pretty helpful/fun first campaign (haven't played TW since Shogun). Lizardmen are intuitive enough. Anvil/dinos/chameleons and terradons to taste.

Yeah, my strategy is to get the New World Colonies to handle Morathi for me

have an oldblood tasked with sacking Ssildra'tor on a regular basis, tell the Colonies "hey war coordination target up here," they'll eventually take it, and from there with a little bit of care, feeding, and making sure you've killed Morathi's hydra you can make them a nice little buffer state against the Cult while you send Mazdamundi south on Operation Murder Skrolk Good.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

crime fighting hog posted:

I picked up the game last week and I'm addicted. I've always been awful at RTS and war games like this, Warcraft, Starcraft, you name it. Even on easy mode with High Elves (which I imagine is the most starter friendly faction) I've been losing a lot.

So I found the video playlist in the OP and HOLY poo poo I can't believe how dumb I've been playing. I mean, the guys with spears are more expensive than sword guys, why wouldn't I just fill my army with them???

I can't wait to start over and actually build armies based on what I'm going up against instead of taking two of everything like I thought a "balanced" force should be. I'm still a bit lost when it comes to what heroes are best per situation but I can't remember last time I was this into a game. Also this thread rules.

Any other good guides out there? I have the first game too, so if I install that it'll combine the map?

E: Another question, how many armies do you raise? As many as you can reliably afford so you keep some defending important towns while the good expensive poo poo presses the front?

The combined map gets released for TWW2 next week, on the 26th - you don't need the first game installed, just to own it in your steam library.

As for armies, there isn't a hard and fast rule. Most factions in the game (not all, but certainly most) have a mechanic where every subsequent army past the first one raises the upkeep of all your units by a percentage, which means even an army that's just a lord and nothing else is costing you loads more than before. 'As many armies as you can afford' is a good rule of thumb but 'afford' can vary. For a decent economy in the mid to late game I like to have around 3000-5000 coming in per turn, so I would make sure my armies didn't eat into that per-turn income. But sometimes you might need more armies temporarily, or need to skirt much closer to breaking even each turn just to let you expand. You can always disband armies and re-raise them later, too, with the lords retaining their skills and levels, so you can adjust as you go.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I've used Runners to great effect, but my main concern with them is that they're actually pretty expensive for what you get, particularly for Gutter Runners and onwards. Being able to kite/outshoot any Lizardmen unit apart from siege dinosaurs and Cold/Horned Ones is very good, but for nearly the same upkeep and maybe even less sunken cost in the form of buildings, you can start buying the more killy Plagueclaw Catapults or Rat Ogres.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

LordAbaddon posted:

So I love my Skrolk campaign even if its in the process of collapsing. I figured out I can have an absurd amount of stacks made up entirely of Skavenslaves and used my crushing numbers advantage to overwhelm the nearby lizards and dwarfs. The key to making them work seems to be just including some form of magic as a force multiplier (doesn't matter which kind) since repeatedly dropping wither or warp lightning on large packs of enemies is all the slaves need to actually win. I've gotten a stupid amount of heroic victories off lizards and dwarfs this way.

The problem is that the strategy is stone dead against Teclis and his High Elves. Turns out if you have enough archers you can rout the entire force of slaves+wizard before lines even meet. Combined that with his phoenix sniping my wizard and it starts to feel like a bunch of toddlers fighting a tank. So now i'm in a position where I have to retrofit 90% of my armies into something capable of beating archer spam or starting over with a new campaign. Honestly I don't know which would be more work at this point.

Anyway thats my dumb story about how I thought I found out how to break the skaven in half but instead gimped myself forever.

One tactic that can work well against elves (and lizards and everyone else) with skaven is to just have a shitload of artillery. I like to roll 3 cannon/ 3 catapult but you could go up to 4/4. Then the rest of your army is just stuff to distract the enemy from attacking the artillery, while the artillery grinds them into paste. Gutter Runners are great for this, and you can use slaves too if you just are sure to send them in waves and keep sending them in as their morale recovers. You will need some form of missile fire to distract the big beasties. Have a Warlock Engineer in there somewhere to give the artillery boosts.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

High elves are the most starter friendly in that if you make an army entirely out of spearmen and archers by turn 5, that army will still be viable into the lategame.

Lizardmen are probably a little more forgiving to the beginner, though, if only because the rule of "saurus bullshit good but slow, skinks weak as hell but fast" makes armybuilding pretty easy. you want a line of ~6 units of saurus, and beyond that it's pick your favorite toys to play with.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Mortal Empires trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTBXTDkJPiA

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Noonsa posted:

What tier/difficulty?

Save your food and dump it all into the first capital you capture, then build the plagueclaw building. Get at least two per stack, preferably four. Turn saurus into mush.

Let your slaves eat the initial charge and keep your real melee on the flanks with a few reserve units to reinforce your front when the slaves break. Doesn't work as well in a slave heavy army.

Pestilent Breath is really good against skinks but it goes slightly further than the targeting cone shows, you can't nuke your own guys too gratuitously early on. Vermintide is also really really good, bless with filth is probably also really good but harder to quantify.

I like to keep a buffer of 1k income but really it depends on the situation, a few wins/sacks and you'll bring in thousands of gold, invest back into your economy and you should be fine. If you're raking in more than 2-3k a turn it's probably time to raise a new stack or upgrade your armies, unless you need that money for something else.

If I have a lot of viable avenues for expansion I try to grab a second stack sooner than later, usually I have an additional army by turn 10. It's also viable to get a single Lord early and either send them to sea to hunt treasures/meet new friends or colonize ruins. Teclis starts I get a Lord turn 1 to grab the empty ruins, turn 2ish for skrolk since he's got enemies east and west.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

The thing to keep in mind is that unless you are Vampire Counts or Lizardmen, your line spears and swords are not there to get kills. They *can* and you can spec your lord to make them quite good at it, but mostly they exist to hold the front line while you maneuver your more vulnerable, more killy units into position and keep your softer units from getting ganked. Early on with hat elves (before you have access to the advanced units) my strategy was to have 3 spearmen for every 2 archer units and that gives you a pretty good defensive screen while your archers turn everything into pincushions. You would be shocked how long that is effective for, especially against AI.

Keep your charge bonuses in mind, for units with high charge values (usually berserker style units and cav) you never want them in the position where they are getting ran up on and they can't counter charge. The charge bonus applies to the initial impact and the first attacks, but gets progressively smaller over the course of the next 10 seconds after combat has started. You never really want your cav stuck in an extended brawl because foot infantry will always outnumber them and wear em down through sheer attrition. After the first couple of seconds of a charge, you want to pull cav out, set back up, and prepare to charge again. The J button on your keyboard usually does a pretty good job at disengaging cav and getting them somewhere you can charge again.

Conversely, for your spearmen, they almost always have a poo poo poor charge value, but grant a charge defense vs large (or in some cases, charge defense vs all). With these guys, you specifically do not want them moving at all when the enemy makes contact with you. If they are standing still and charged from the front, they will brace themselves which keeps them from getting knocked around and damaged as badly. If you're a race that has access to both spearmen and swordmen (dark elves, empire, ect) generally speaking your swords should form the center of your army with your spears out to the side with a unit or two in the back with your artillery because generally that's where the flanking chargers are coming from. As a rule of thumb: in a t1 infantry spears vs swords 1 on 1 matchup, the swords will usually win, but usually it's not so lopsided that you can't make it work if you're the guy with spears, so long as you are supporting them well with magic/archers/cav.

Don't ignore your archer cav either. For High Elves, Ellyrian reaver archers work really well if you're shooting into melee infantry's flanks, but they generally get shot dead by dedicated ranged infantry due to volume of fire. This is countered by the fact that Reaver Archers will completely trounce on archers in melee. If you're in a position where you're sending reaver archers against the enemy backline archers, turn on their melee mode (Those unit control buttons on the bottom of the screen? Second one from the left, the crossed swords icon, will turn that on) and send them to work over the archers. Dedicated archer units tend to have unimpressive leadership and poor defenses, a charge by even light cav is usually enough to break morale and send them running to the hills at best, or at the very least keeps them from being dangerous with their bows at worst. If you're fighting other high elves though, don't do this vs Lothern Sea guard, as they aren't near as vulnerable as regular archers.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Oct 19, 2017

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

So there are a few people to recommend in order to learn how to play, but most of these guys are already covered in the OP.

Ninjahund is streaming right now and taking questions about how to be good. I am eagerly awaiting for him to update his multiplayer guide.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Sure we all know that an army of 2 skink javelins, a saurus, and nothing but carnosaurs is hilariously awesome. But have you tried an army of 2 saurus and nothing but skink skirmishers? Watch as your enemy is slowly whittled to nothing while exhausting itself chasing after them forever!

I killed two dragons with that.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

DeathSandwich posted:

If you're in a position where you're sending reaver archers against the enemy backline archers, turn on their melee mode (Those unit control buttons on the bottom of the screen? Second one from the left, the crossed swords icon, will turn that on) and send them to work over the archers.

Hold ALT and target the enemy, you'll get a sword icon instead of bow. No messing with buttons and no chance of forgetting to turn ranged back on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duey
Sep 5, 2004

Hi
Nap Ghost

The map looks much better than that datamined thing that was going around.