Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Pick posted:

Never let sex be your therapy.
Yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Pick posted:

Never let sex be your therapy.

What and use talking? gently caress that.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Everything is about sex, so it’s only logical to use sex to resolve everything.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Speaking of belittling motherfuckers...

My [22F] boyfriend [25M] keeps embarrassing me in front of others about my job/salary (Romantic)

quote:

acn't flair cuz I'm on mobile, but here goes anyway. My boyfriend and I have been together for over 3 years, and were long distance for a good chunk of that while I was in college and he was working out of state. His job doesn't have much mobility, so I compromised after graduation and moved to his state (where I didn't have any other professional or personal relationships or ties). I took the first job that came my way cuz hello, student loans. It's definitely not my ideal job, and I've been planning to quit soon to go back to school in the next 6 months-ish, once I've got in-state residency established.

But my boyfriend seems to think it's funny or harmless to embarrass me in front of friends and family about my low salary. He makes a lot of money and didn't have to go to college, so has essentially no debt or understanding of the tough job market, especially where we are located (I got a liberal arts education and we live in a pretty blue-collar/agricultural area). This weekend kinda was the straw that broke my back. We were at a wedding with a lot of his family, and one of his siblings just started a job very similar to mine, though her qualifications are significantly less than mine. He asked her what she makes, and she makes a dollar more an hour than me-- which he proceeded to announce to the entire group. I was mortified and so embarrassed, I just sat there in silence.

We have a relationship where we both dish it out and I can usually take it when it's all in good fun, but he KNOWS this is a sore spot for me. How can I talk to him about this?

TLDR; my bf thinks it's funny or no big deal to talk openly and embarrass me about my low-paying first job. How do I make him understand that it's not a joke to me?

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

But what if I gently caress my therapist?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Blade Runner posted:

But what if I gently caress my therapist?

Then you’re getting twice the therapy for half the price. Or she might murder you like what probably happened to the guy in the confessions thread.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
If you get an IQ test, the smartest thing you can ever do is not tell anyone.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

(NC) Chances of joint custody?

quote:

So I currently have supervised visitation rights with CPS involvement, but I recently filed for joint custody. My kid's mom has primary and moved away right after we signed the agreement. I only see my kid for 48 hours every two weeks. What are my chances of winning?

On the surface this seems pretty mundane, but then we get into the comments, and...

quote:

[–]dudeonstilts[S] 1 point 9 hours ago

I may have said or done some things out of spite during this time after I filed and made some accusations against her because I'm angry. I'm more or less scared I've hosed up and will lose all rights at this point because now I realize what I've done was wrong. I did go to parenting classes and anger management but what I did was said in writing to people who know her and I think she has the evidence. She has a DVPO against me and while I didn't talk to her directly I did say I wish she could see the messages when I tried to apologize. I think I'm screwed. What if I bring up her history of depression or say she's a drug user? Could that win it for me?

I did get an attorney but they don't know what I've done since then.

[–]TotalStorage 1 point 9 hours ago

What if I bring up her history of depression or say she's a drug user? Could that win it for me?

If the drug use and depression is new, and you can substantiate them... they could help you.

Otherwise, the courts are likely to say that they should have been addressed in the original hearings.

The courts don't like it when people come back and are like: "Oh yea... one other thing I forgot to mention..."

I'm not saying that all hope is lost.

Mostly, I am saying (based on almost no information at all) that this is a climb that you should be doing with an attorney.

Hopefully the attorney will be able to put together a plan for modification. Though, it may involve you towing the line with supervised visitation for awhile before filing a motion.

[–]dudeonstilts[S] 1 point 8 hours ago

No the depression is from early this year before she got the order against me and I don't have proof of any drug use, I just say it because I want to know what will get me custody at this point because I know she has evidence against me and I can't get her any other way. I tried pressing charges on her for anything I can but the police won't do it because they say she has provided evidence against my claims. I'm desperate to win now. My lawyer said her lawyer offered a settlement that is basically the current agreement but I refused because I don't want to pay child support. She took my kid away. I'm pissed. I'm looking for any way to get a leg up and get my kid.

[–]Akavinceblack 2 points 2 hours ago

She doesn't "have depression", she was depressed because she had a child with someone who is lying about her being a drug user in order to gain joint custody...so he doesn't have to pay child support, and in order to punish her for getting as far away from him as possible.

Legally you don't have much going for you if your case for custody is based entirely on spite and lies.

[–]fadeaccompli 1 point 7 hours ago

If you go in with the attitude that you want to avoid child support and "get a leg up", and make allegations you haven't brought up before with no new proof of them, that's not going to go over well with the judge. Your key phrase is going to be: "best interests of the child."

Go in with an explanation of what's changed, how more time with your kid is in the kid's best interests, and an attorney.

[–]dudeonstilts[S] 1 point 6 hours ago

Well nothing has changed except she moved farther away but they knew that was happening when we consented to the order. I just didn't think she'd actually do it. That's why I figured if I can get the judge to think she's on drugs I can get my kid. How can I get the judge to believe it without proof? I've tried convincing her friends but they won't respond to me and have told me to stop contacting them. Even her ex husband won't buy it. If I can get someone to believe me and testify for me would that work?

[–]fadeaccompli 1 point 5 hours ago

No, trying to coax people to lie on your behalf in court is unlikely to work out well for you in the long run.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Why the gently caress are those people continuing to give him advice. They're not his lawyers. I get supporting the principle of giving people fair court represenation but then tell the guy to get a lawyer and gently caress off instead of theorizing about what proof he could possibly still find to screw his wife over.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

maskenfreiheit posted:

My crush accidentally sent me a nude. (self.dating)

Poor woman. She probably spent hours mustering up the courage to send this idiot loser clown a nude photo and then he's the most oblivious man alive. I'm sure his insane screed broke the record for a vagina going from 100 to drier than Death Valley in mere picoseconds. Just an incredible self-own. Amazing work eclipsing almost every self-own this thread has seen to date.

Doggles posted:

Now let's meet our next contestant on Play Stupid Games, Win Stupid Prizes! Here's <unnamed boyfriend> with his breakup gambit in order to teach his girlfriend a lesson:

(Ex?)Boyfriend (27M) broke up with me (23F). I slept with a friend (his co-worker) (29M) during breakup, confessed to my boyfriend, and he broke up with me for real.

This moron is close to beating him out in sheer self-ownage though...

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Oct 19, 2017

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Absurd Alhazred posted:

My [22F] boyfriend [25M] keeps embarrassing me in front of others about my job/salary (Romantic)
Haha if it wasn't for the ages I'd assume that could be my cousin, who takes any opportunity he gets to tell everyone that his quarterly tax payments are more than his wife earns in a year, with her present.

My dad and his brother grew up poor, but my dad landed an awesome career that his brother never caught up with. My dad is super humble and knows he basically got lucky, but even though his brother died more than 30 years ago, my aunt and cousin still have this enormous complex about it. Every time we have family get togethers they do this hilarious dance of trying to hint at how much money they make while not directly bragging about it, and awkwardly trying to find out if I make more.

I'm never going to tell them though.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
They shall never be privy to my immense wealth of anime body pillows.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Bubblyblubber posted:

They shall never be privy to my immense wealth of anime body pillows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwrf8loXceA

Khorne
May 1, 2002

maskenfreiheit posted:

Also 110ish is solid dunning Kruger territory since you’re definitely not dumb but not smart enough to realize you’re no genius either.
Online IQ tests skew crazy high. The average score is closer to 130 because they want people to feel "smart" or take more tests for $$$ or their email.

IQ itself is a pointless metric when applied in the way it is by most people. I've never met someone intelligent who cared about it, but boy have I met a bunch of idiots with no actual accomplishments who clung to it. You could score total garbage on an IQ test and still be one of the most intelligent people in the world in some other way. Not that intelligence matters all that much. A pattern of success predicts success. I've no idea what intelligence predicts.

I personally think it's dumb because you can study to drastically improve your score.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Oct 19, 2017

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Khorne posted:

Online IQ tests skew crazy high. The average score is closer to 130 because they want people to feel "smart" or take more tests for $$$ or their email.

IQ itself is a pointless metric when applied in the way it is by most people. I've never met someone intelligent who cared about it, but boy have I met a bunch of idiots with no actual accomplishments who clung to it. You could score total garbage on an IQ test and still be one of the most intelligent people in the world in some other way. Not that intelligence matters all that much. A pattern of success predicts success. I've no idea what intelligence predicts.

I think a high online IQ test score correlates strongly with people who like to talk about their IQ test.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Khorne posted:

I personally think it's dumb because you can study to drastically improve your score.

Yeah I'm assuming the score is legit, I admit that is a pretty big assumption.

I think the problem with IQ is it's a small part of "intelligence".

For example, think if it like electricity. Wattage = amps * volts. Amps = how much electricity goes through the wire, volts = how fast it's traveling.

So basically, if you're someone with an IQ of 120 but a hard worker you can accomplish just as much as a lazy 140. (There's actual data from Nobel winners showing IQ has rapidly diminishing returns above 130.)

It's something that's always been interesting to me, since I kind of "hit the wall" during my PhD quals.

(You know the stereotype of the smart kid who goes to college and has an existential crisis because he has to work? Picture that but you're in your mid 20s)

Managed to pass them but it was a life lesson.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Just found out people think I (27/m) am a creep because of how I communicate.Personal issues

quote:

I'm a deaf guy, so I usually communicate with notepad on phone. I would type what I want to say and hand it to someone for them to read and type in their reply.

Well... I have always felt a bit insecure about it, but it is what works the best.

Recently, I saw a reply to comment on a post on facebook of someone I am friend with but didn't see or talk to much. One of the girls I tried to talk to a while ago was talking about how someone once tried to talk to her by typing on the phone and that it was so creepy. Then two other person chipped in to make fun of it and say that it is so weird and creepy and they would have run away.

This really hurt me. I didn't even know what to do or say. It also is making me feel like I can't even go out or do anything anymore.

Can anyone please give some idea or suggestion on how I can talk to someone this way without coming off as a creep?

tldr;

I'm a deaf guy who talks to hearing people by typing on phone. Found out people think this is creepy.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
People want a reason to feel good about themselves. They'll readily accept a quick, easy, meaningless number as a stand-in for the self confidence that comes from a lifetime of successes and failures, and the sense of personal responsibility that real introspection develops.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

maskenfreiheit posted:

Just found out people think I (27/m) am a creep because of how I communicate.Personal issues

While them making fun of him is horrible and bad, I must wonder why his first text to someone new isn't "Hi, I am deaf and use this to communicate". Cause that should eliminate any room for confusion.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

maskenfreiheit posted:

Well that's not what I was expecting from the title :smith:

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

maskenfreiheit posted:

Poor dude :( I guess the other alternative is walking around with a mini whiteboard and writing IM DEAF on it when first meeting people.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

To be fair, you deserve to be ridiculed if you actually completed a liberal arts degree and then complain about the job market.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Vargatron posted:

Poor dude :( I guess the other alternative is walking around with a mini whiteboard and writing IM DEAF on it when first meeting people.

When I still worked retail we had a regular customer who was deaf who would begin every interaction by stating "I'M DEAF" very loudly before writing everything down on a bit of paper. It worked I guess.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Online IQ tests are a valid measurement of intelligence because if you do one you're stupid

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
Reading it again, it seems like it was just one person that is a friend of a friend he hardly sees that was too dumb to realize he is deaf and 2 other randos (that don't know him) baking her up.

I think he is reading waaaay too much into this. And should just ignore this.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

maskenfreiheit posted:

Cheer up little buddy - she either didn't know you were deaf, or she did and she's a oval office. The world is like a bowl of M&Ms, with some rat turds mixed in; there will always be some people who are lovely just because they're lovely. Their shortcomings don't define you, and they don't define the rest of the world at large.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

blarzgh posted:

Cheer up little buddy - she either didn't know you were deaf, or she did and she's a oval office. The world is like a bowl of M&Ms, with some rat turds mixed in; there will always be some people who are lovely just because they're lovely. Their shortcomings don't define you, and they don't define the rest of the world at large.

Every time I see an M&M analogy it's used to justify throwing out the entire bowl of M&Ms just in case.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

chitoryu12 posted:

Every time I see an M&M analogy it's used to justify throwing out the entire bowl of M&Ms just in case.

M&Ms are pretty bad anyhow so it's not like it's any big loss

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

maskenfreiheit posted:

That really sucks and I hope this dude finds people who aren't gross dickbags to him because he seems like a good person. :smith:

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
AskHR has some gems:

Senior Co-Worker jokes about shooting up the office and I feel uncomfortable. Is this normal shop talk? (self.AskHR)

quote:

This Senior Co-worker has always been a difficult to work with for example: other employees wait for him to leave the area before discussing any difficulties with the day's tasks because if he over hears the discussion he becomes overbearing, tactless and self aggrandizing while "helping" us (to be fair he really is fantastic at his job - up until the part he is expected to lead; so he's basically really good at MY job). There are enough team members that we can solve issues without him.

Senior Co-worker is often opinionated about politics, and basically any time something he doesn't like happens in the news he singles me or another young employee out to answer for it. He likes to talk about his guns often. He is excited for "the Apocalypse" or "the revolution", because then he gets to defend himself and rely upon his preparations. His every interaction with others is a game of, "Look how smart I am!" in which he plays by heavily bragging about an accomplishment, or belittling you pedantically or leveraging his professional experiential advantage (10 years on most of us). Senior Co-worker is narcissistic, single, and claims not to have any friends.

We don't complain to management (but heavily to each other) about Senior Co-worker because aside from his horrible personality he does a good job when we need him and he considers anyone in the department to be his responsibility and has shown remarkable loyalty... although he loves to make a show of it.

Recently at a customer site I visited I was told by a member of thier team that the last time Senior Co-worker visited he made highly inappropriate sexually comments to the entire group (mostly young females). Senior Co-worker has certain conversational habits and once I heard the manner in which the sexual comments were delivered I was in no doubt the incident happened as claimed.

I brought this to the attention of my Manager, who took them with skepticism and said he would consider it as a "data point that may someday be connected..." If its the first time he has heard such things about Senior Co-worker then this is probably a reasonable stance. Manager did not tell HR and asked me to keep it quiet.

Lately Senior Co-worker has been very frustrated about the sate of our company and has often taken to the soap box to complain about feeling put-upon and having a target on his back. I think he's full of himself if he thinks people really give a drat what he says; he's experienced and useful but isolated enough that he's not professionally threatening to other departments.

Recently Senior Co-worker has been more emotional than normal due to some admittedly tough personal troubles.

Incident:

Recently Senior Co-worker reacted poorly to some reasonable questions accounting had about some of our shipping procedures. He then went on for a few minutes talking about how it might be time to come in and have a "workplace incident" that we might have to use our active shooter training (which he informally gave our group the week before) "Run, Hide, Fight! in that order remember!" He then said that we in his group would only have to worry about being collateral damage because his problem was the people up stairs. His tone was light and he was full of smiles, but this steady escalation of grievances is starting to unnerve me.

I don't think the guy would do anything terrible, but who knows. At this point I wonder if I should bring this up with our Manager and expect that he will "wait for another data point" or should I talk to HR? I have 3 witnesses to this event but they don't appear concerned, although I have not spoken of it to them because it feels so awkward. I'm afraid of possible professional blow back. I don't want the previous complaint that I passed along to my manager to be viewed along with this as if they are some kind of agenda to get Senior Co-worker fired.

I have a good reputation; no problems or bad reviews and have no other reason to fear for my job other than possibly being thought of as disposable to keep Senior Co-worker happy. I don't quite feel comfortable enough to let this go without some thought. How common is it to tolerate this kind of incident? Am I over reacting? Feedback is welcome.

TLDR: Narcissistic loner Senior Co-worker whom has been increasingly erratic recently has made a detailed joke about shooting up the office. I'm not entirely sure going to HR will be best move for me, because I'm not even sure the guy was serious. How common is it to tolerate this kind of incident? am I over reacting? Feedback is welcome.

edit: words is hard.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

maskenfreiheit posted:

AskHR has some gems:

Senior Co-Worker jokes about shooting up the office and I feel uncomfortable. Is this normal shop talk? (self.AskHR)

Good lord please go to HR before this idiot shoots up the loving office.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Straight White Shark posted:

M&Ms are pretty bad anyhow so it's not like it's any big loss

Van Halen would disagree :colbert:

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Vargatron posted:

When I worked as a waitress for a summer job, I covered a breakfast shift and when a guy came in, the regular morning gal begged me to take the table because the guy was a 'loving creep'. I gave him the menu and he just started pointing to things, I asked him if he was Deaf, and he absolutely lit up that I knew ASL. It sucks that it was misconstrued as creepy/weird.

The owner was a piece of work and yelled at me in front of other customers to 'stop flapping my loving hands' one time when he came in.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Vargatron posted:

Good lord please go to HR before this idiot shoots up the loving office.

or you know, maybe the police

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

This was my first foray into M&M analogy.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Usually the M&M’s are brown people and you are strongly encouraged to throw them all out. :(

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

maskenfreiheit posted:

or you know, maybe the police

I thought the goal was to prevent an idiot shooting up the place.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Call the police not because they’ll do a damned thing but because it’ll give :bahgawd: gun chud guy some like-minded people to talk to and maybe he’ll make a friend :glomp:

Clark Nova fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Oct 19, 2017

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

LadyPictureShow posted:

When I worked as a waitress for a summer job, I covered a breakfast shift and when a guy came in, the regular morning gal begged me to take the table because the guy was a 'loving creep'. I gave him the menu and he just started pointing to things, I asked him if he was Deaf, and he absolutely lit up that I knew ASL. It sucks that it was misconstrued as creepy/weird.

The owner was a piece of work and yelled at me in front of other customers to 'stop flapping my loving hands' one time when he came in.

I think few things can brighten up a person's day like finding out someone can communicate with you if you generally have issues with that. When I worked in a middle school, we would occasionally get new students with deaf parents. They'd come in with this obvious look of resignation because they expected it to be a huge slog to speak to our counselors (we did the scheduling in the guidance office). As soon as our ASL fluent counselor started signing their faces would light up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Serephina posted:

"The Office Halloween party is coming soon! We've chosen the theme, and the costumes and roles. You're the fat annoying kid. No, you don't get to pick someone else." If it actually bothers him, he should just put his foot down and say he's coming as something else or not at all. Ie, grow a spine.

This hits home for me-- I already started assembling a really elaborate and not inexpensive costume that uses some hobby/cosplay type crap I already have and ties it into the workplace-- and in a recent management meeting our department head started latching onto "Let's do a department-wide theme" and the leading pitch was "minions." :smithicide:

I pushed back hard against this but it really seemed to get traction in her brain.