Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

does bixby speak english yet or do you still have to learn korean to use it and have to level up your account like you live in stardew valley?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
*to oven*

yo Bixby set temperature to 450

*fridge responds, sets thermostat to 450 degrees*

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

The Management posted:

*to oven*

yo Bixby set temperature to 450

*fridge responds, sets thermostat to 450 degrees celsius*

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

LastInLine posted:

does bixby speak english yet or do you still have to learn korean to use it and have to level up your account like you live in stardew valley?

did bixby 1 ever start working or are they going right to 2

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

what happened to their own android operating system tizen?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Boiled Water posted:

i think it let them get a better deal with google to keep ruining android on their expensive phones so it was successful

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

They're using it on their smart watches and i think tvs and fridges or whatever

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Boiled Water posted:

don’t sully the good name of android by comparing it to tizen. even the shittiest android phone is 100x more responsive than any samsung smart tv and some brilliant mind at samsung decided that tizen should use enlightenment and efl, which is probably the worst gui toolkit ever designed.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastInLine posted:

i dunno can it find the square root of 4

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
inbox is good

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The_Franz posted:

don’t sully the good name of android by comparing it to tizen. even the shittiest android phone is 100x more responsive than any samsung smart tv and some brilliant mind at samsung decided that tizen should use enlightenment and efl, which is probably the worst gui toolkit ever designed.

the rant about the efl is always worth rereading:

https://what.thedailywtf.com/topic/15001/enlightened

quote:

Remember the quote about types? EFL takes that philosophy seriously. Everything is a pointer to something called Evas_Object, which translates to void *. Those knowledgeable in the horrible language of C know it’s a pointer to anything. And so it is. Everything you create is an Evas_Object and every function takes an Evas_Object as the subject to work on. But why throw away type safety? Because gently caress you, that’s why! If you wonder how to know which functions can be called on a given Evas_Object, the answer is simple – you don’t. It’s all about experimenting, hacking and debugging. Calling an invalid function on an object can result in:

*Nothing, leaving you wondering WTF.
*An extremely helpful console message: “SPANK! SPANK! SPANK! Naughty programmer!”. Really, I’m not joking about that one.
*Another extremely helpful message: “You bitch!”. And I’m not joking about that one either – it was discovered by a female coworker while trying to hack layouts to work. Perfect timing on EFL side here.
*A crash, if you’re lucky, so you can debug the issue.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Shifty Pony posted:

the rant about the efl is always worth rereading:

https://what.thedailywtf.com/topic/15001/enlightened

if it quacks like a duck...

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

the best part is still the creator of efl showing up and defending his grossly unprofessional error messages and in general acting like a complete child

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

quote:

Essential Phone gets a $200 price drop, existing customers get credit

lmao, rip essential

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lol

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

maybe they can throw in a free headphone jack with every purchase

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

if we just make a good enough android we can totally charge iphone prices for it it'll be a money printing machine!
- like 5 different oems now

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

qirex posted:

a good enough android

lmbo

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

The Management posted:

lmao, rip essential
current status: sleeping under a highway overpass next to the amazon fire phone. a passed-out ventu phone sprawls on the ground, the needle still stuck in its arm.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
how about those week old pissxel 2 xl burn ins

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

qirex posted:

if we just make a good enough android we can totally charge iphone prices for it it'll be a money printing machine!
- like 5 different oems now

"and we don’t need to be able to manufacture more than a couple dozen ever" -essential

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
im beginning to worry that we might not see all those plug in accessory modules that essential was developing

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

FMguru posted:

im beginning to worry that we might not see all those plug in accessory modules that essential was developing

they made a headphone jack module!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Athletic Footjob posted:

how about those week old pissxel 2 xl burn ins
:laffo:

https://twitter.com/RonAmadeo/status/922464386849046528

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

This is why apple can continue their very slow decline. This is their competition.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

eric posted:

This is why apple can continue their very slow decline. This is their competition.

don't worry, iyg is already defending their purchase

bull3964 posted:

I will say I haven't seen that on mine.

As someone who owns an OLED TV, it honestly looks more like IR than burn in to me but it obviously need more investigation. It's very similar to what I see on a slide on my TV after watching a letterboxed movie, the black bars are lighter than the rest of the TV. After about an hour or so playing fullscreen content the screen normalizes. Burn in would be more likely to exhibit a shift in color temp for the area as the pixels aged at different rates. You can see on my Pixel 1 that the nav bar area shifts blue, likely because the blue pixels aged far slower.

Droid-life had this to say.

We'll see how this develops. IR isn't as serious though it can still be annoying if seen on normal content.

I still think Google should have implemented a system wide immersive mode for any OLED screen use, because they are all going to eventually burn in.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

no, because no one actually buys pixels, so even if 100% of them have this issue, it's still fewer people than, like, iphone 4 antenna problems

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Endless Mike posted:

don't worry, iyg is already defending their purchase

bull is something else

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

carry on then posted:

bull is something else

imagine being someone who spends their time memorizing consumer electronics specs

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

carry on then posted:

bull is something else

bald bull

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

carry on then posted:

bull is something else

Didn't he end up getting sent to Jupiter?

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
youd expect a device called pixel to have emphasis on screen quality. let me just use this incredible camera on a burnt in display for $849. im a smart prosumer

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

What better way to emphasize a pixel than to have a bunch of hosed up ones to distract you

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Blue Train posted:

What better way to emphasize a pixel than to have a bunch of hosed up ones to distract you

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Blue Train posted:

sick nasty burn

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

the issue is i can't tell if that's digital noise or the screen just being a grainy piece of poo poo either

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
why not both

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
wow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001

eric posted: