Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Man now I really want to play as Thorgrim and re-ignite the War of the Beard. Hopefully in the new map I can stamp out Grimgor plenty fast and then sail over to introduce Tyrion to cannons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Duey posted:

The map looks much better than that datamined thing that was going around.

Yeah, on one hand the oceans between Ulthuan and the Old and New Worlds are still a bit smaller than feels "right", but on the other hand I just finished a Tyrion campaign where I conquered Naggarond and gently caress spending five+ turns sailing across the ocean, this works much better.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Duey posted:

The map looks much better than that datamined thing that was going around.

Are you sure? because that looks exactly like the datamined map, it even has naggaroth cut off at exactly the same point on its western half

Gitro
May 29, 2013
So in my first Mazda game I had random treasure hunters pop up in my territory multiple times and it was really annoying. I've seen a few explorers in other people's territory, but in the ~300 turns I've played since I've never had it happen to me. Is that normal? Did I accidentally mod it out?

And how come enemy Delves get to go murder mode so quickly. poo poo was always at 500 kills for me and I'd get it right as the battle was done, but oh no they hit 200 and burst into fabulous purple.

Gitro fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Oct 19, 2017

Duey
Sep 5, 2004

Hi
Nap Ghost

LordAbaddon posted:

Are you sure? because that looks exactly like the datamined map, it even has naggaroth cut off at exactly the same point on its western half

I could be wrong, but I thought the datamined map had Ultuan right in the middle, it looks here like they moved it up a lot which should help with making sure the elves aren't literally everywhere.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Gitro posted:

So in my first Mazda game I had random treasure hunters pop up in my territory multiple times and it was really annoying. I've seen a few explorers in other people's territory, but in the ~300 turns I've played since I've never had it happen to me. Is that normal? Did I accidentally mod it out?

And how come enemy Delves get to go murder mode so quickly. poo poo was always at 500 kills for me and I'd get it right as the battle was done, but oh no they hit 200 and burst into fabulous purple.

I think that's specifically part of the difficulty AI cheats. Harder difficulties decrease the bar that dark elves need to pass before hitting their frenzy and maybe increases yours.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Gitro posted:

because delves being murdered also sets it off, and i suspect you are slightly better about not letting your archers get eaten

AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010
99% of the time Murderous Prowess only triggers once the battle is already effectively won in my DE battles

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

AttitudeAdjuster posted:

99% of the time Murderous Prowess only triggers once the battle is already effectively won in my DE battles

Presumably, that's because you're very handily winning your battles already. I had a lot of close DE battles that ended with quite a few casualties on my side and DE helped push what was definitely not a sure thing into victories. It counts all deaths, not just the enemy's.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
The amount of kills needed is about half the enemy force. If you’re fighting well enough that you rout then without many casualties of your own it likely won’t proc. But you also didn’t really need it anyway so that’s no big deal.

It’s easier to proc against Lizards as they like to stay and die and generally field smaller armies if they haven’t bulked up with Skinks. Skaven are the hardest as they love to run early and there’s loving thousands of them.

Use Dark riders to run down retreating troops and you’ll get it much easier, not to mention it’s kinda what they’re good at anyway

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Okay, so I just beat a "hard" campaign as Mazda. But I have a few questions as to how to do the game right.

I was still able to win most of my battles, but it seems as if Skaven are a right royal pain in the arse, what with having way too many siege engines that are very hard to counter. Is there a way, other than Pteredons, that works for dealing with them?

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Benagain posted:

Sure we all know that an army of 2 skink javelins, a saurus, and nothing but carnosaurs is hilariously awesome. But have you tried an army of 2 saurus and nothing but skink skirmishers? Watch as your enemy is slowly whittled to nothing while exhausting itself chasing after them forever!

I killed two dragons with that.

I considered making a "Skink Lord" Saurus with a couple Skink Chiefs and nothing but Chameleon Skinks and buffing all the Skink skills for the lord, but I never did it. I might have to revisit that idea!

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Panfilo posted:

^^^This^^^. The quick wall speed alone is pretty useful.

I noticed that High Elves are no slouches when it comes to expanding aggressively either. They get research to improve build times and several skills that cut down on global recruitment times. I guess I'm weird in that I mainly use my Influence to recruit the best of the best when it comes to lords and heroes, because some of those 40 influence costing traits are REALLY good, like almost Legendary Lord good.

Quoting this from last page but the high influence heros are quietly the most amazing part of playing HE.

The trick is to spread nobles out so they are generating 6 influence from enemy settlements per turn each, then using that influence income to buy Mages with Entrepreneur. That trait is +30% income from buildings and +3% tax rate, and it stacks for every mage in the province. Put 3-4 of those in the Turtle Isles or anywhere with 3+ ports with elf embassies and you'll make something like 10k per turn from that province alone.

Mages can also have the trait that can reduce building cost and IIRC build speed by like 25%, which also stacks. Making tier 5 buildings in 2 turns and at 20% their original cost is basically cheating. Malekiths Tyrant tree is the only thing that comes close that I've seen, and it still loses since this scales up for every new mage/noble you can get.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Oct 19, 2017

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I got Genius on mages and had them go out stealing tech. Is there a benefit to hitting different cities with steal tech/secure influence bc it seems like you get the same bonus by spamming it on one city.

(also does secure influence actually hurt the target?)

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
All I know is repeatedly using Steal Technology with the same hero just increases the duration of the research bonus, I'm not sure it changes based on the city you targeted.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

I got Genius on mages and had them go out stealing tech. Is there a benefit to hitting different cities with steal tech/secure influence bc it seems like you get the same bonus by spamming it on one city.

There is no benefit that I saw from hitting multiple cities with the same agent. You get the same benefit regardless; all repeatedly stealing tech does is increase the number of turns the +20% bonus is active. That's per agent, though. I never saw any downside to just parking 6 sorceresses outside of the same city and having them steal tech with Hekarti's rite active and just powerleveled them and my research rate together, because each agent was giving +20% research.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

I don’t think it hurts them, but I do think it makes them angry at you and makes their enemies like you more.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Yeah there is no benefit generally to using the same agent in several places, but several agents doing the same thing does stack. That being said, once you queue up a building that duration/cost is locked in, so you can run those heros/Malekith to new provinces every turn after building stuff.

Also yeah secure influence is just beneficial to you, and hurts diplomatically like any offensive agent action.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Oct 19, 2017

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

So why exactly was it so very important that people not comment on the datamined map one or two days before the release of the official map that confirmed the same thing?

It seemed vital, paragraphs were written on the unreliability of data files and how they have stuff from Shogun 2 in there, and yeah it turns out just like the DLC datamine for warhammer 1 this one was correct.

So why is it so vitally, vitally important that nobody comment on it while it's still unconfirmed, exactly? That part is never clear. What's the disaster that will happen if people comment on the Wrong Map?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I think people were just arguing that it might be wrong, not that it would cause the apocalypse

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
You read into that as way more than it was, apparently. My point was goons love to complain about things they haven't even seen in any official capacity yet, which gets tiresome after a while. I merely said wait till you know what it looks like from CA before complaining there isn't enough water on the map (where water interaction is loving garbage 80% of the time).

I type a lot of words to get my point across fully, that's unlikely to change no matter the topic.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Mazz posted:

You read into that as way more than it was, apparently. My point was goons love to complain about things they haven't even seen in any official capacity yet, which gets tiresome after a while. I merely said wait till you know what it looks like from CA before complaining there isn't enough water on a map where water interaction is ducking garbage &0% of the time.

Why was it important that you tell me to wait when you don't know what you're talking about?

I wanted to speculate based on the datamined map but then:

quote:

The point is we have no idea besides some goober on Reddit.

Until we get a full version from CA, it's probably best to not get all worked up over how little water there is.

IMO especially considering how awful water interacts with the current strategic map and armies.

How about you just speculate when you feel comfortable and let other speculate whenever they feel comfortable? Why did you put yourself in charge of declaring when speculating was acceptable?

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

You're too close to the truth, Ham Sandwiches. Expect a knock on your door very soon. You'll awaken in the same secure facility we keep that sexy bloody torso from Dead Island, and the printed emails from Sony execs that prove they collaborated with North Korea to hack themselves.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Why was it important that you tell me to wait when you don't know what you're talking about?

How about you just speculate when you feel comfortable and let other speculate whenever they feel comfortable? Why did you put yourself in charge of declaring when speculating was acceptable?

As stated, its 99% of the time goons bitching about really, really dumb stuff that we don't even know if for sure is a thing yet. All I said was wait a week before getting mad there wasn't enough water, I didn't say don't complain.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

The Bramble posted:

You're too close to the truth, Ham Sandwiches. Expect a knock on your door very soon. You'll awaken in the same secure facility we keep that sexy bloody torso from Dead Island, and the printed emails from Sony execs that prove they collaborated with North Korea to hack themselves.

More like why do people appoint themselves backseat mods of threads, who gives a poo poo if other people want to speculate on a loving reddit datamined map on a message board, but apparently it's a lot like publishing a paper in a peer reviewed journal

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Fans posted:

I think people were just arguing that it might be wrong, not that it would cause the apocalypse

The main difference between that datamined map and the map in that trailer is that the trailer map has topography

which is actually a huge massive difference

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Mazz posted:

As stated, its 99% of the time goons bitching about really, really dumb stuff that we don't even know if for sure is a thing yet. All I said was wait a week before getting mad there wasn't enough water, I didn't say don't complain.

Please do not appoint yourself in charge of discourse, or try to declare what is and is not acceptable for other people to discuss. Especially when you were wrong - it was the real map and there was no reason other people should wait to comment to satisfy you, a person that is simply inhibiting discourse from being 100% wrong.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Ham Sandwiches posted:

What the hell man. He pretty clearly was just saying "hey, guys, before you start deciding to murder CA because their Mortal Empires map doesn't fit whatever grognard fantasy you concocted, just remember that that datamine might not be completely accurate." TW fans can be goddamn insane sometimes, though this thread has been usually fine, and reminding everyone that they're arguing over what could be a totally unsubstantiated map is probably a good call before some weirdos get really goddamn mad about it.

edit: Or before some weirdo gets mad enough about it to pick fights over how outrageously strong the censorship in this thread is because some guy said suggested that the map might not be finalized.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Oct 19, 2017

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
You are strawmanning pretty hard here, I just called it stupid to do preemptively, but whatever you say

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
first cheater mods and now this!

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it's actually pretty reasonable to say "Hey, we have no real idea where this stuff comes from so try not to get too worked up about it until we know something for sure."

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

chill out you weirdo

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

The cyber-bullying in this thread is out of control!

Foulbrood
May 17, 2004

This is it, Jonesy!
What's the the High Elf response to feral dinosaur heavy Lizardmen armies? It's basically the only thing that has hard-countered my brave Lothern Seaboys n' friends so far.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Foulbrood posted:

What's the the High Elf response to feral dinosaur heavy Lizardmen armies? It's basically the only thing that has hard-countered my brave Lothern Seaboys n' friends so far.

Lots of bolt throwers. Or just regular spear dudes really.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Phoenix Guard if you have them. White Lions of Chrace do ok for hurting them a bit while your ranged focus fires stuff down. If you're playing Teclis his armor debuff can help a lot regardless.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
The phoenix guard as well, if you can afford them/get them at that point. A couple of those would hold the line against anything large I'd say.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Foulbrood posted:

Phoenix Guard. In general, if your problem is large and armored, start looking for halberds in your roster.

Very, very loosely: spears are anti-large, swords are anti-infantry, shields are anti-range, two-handed weapons (usually called "great-" in TW) are armor-piercing. Halberds are basically "greatspears". Its a pretty simple grid: you pick one bonus of "anti-infantry or anti-large" and one bonus from "anti-range or anti-armor" and that covers most weapon variants in the game to a very, very broad level. It gives you a place to start looking, at least.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 19, 2017

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

DeathSandwich posted:

I think that's specifically part of the difficulty AI cheats. Harder difficulties decrease the bar that dark elves need to pass before hitting their frenzy and maybe increases yours.

It is. On VH the AI dark elves will trigger it before your bar is halfway full.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Despite being bad at killing large units you need the mass of cavalry to actually stop the things running away while your spears murder them.

You have so many spears though. So many.