Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I'm glad it's not just me - I thought I was getting snobby in my old age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So whats the best gaming wheel stand out there these days, anyone use them? Just got a huge PS3 system lot for 50 bucks with a Logitec G29 and a shitload of games, controllers, etc.

My son is super into racing so I figured I'd get an adjustable setup we can both use. An entire seat setup would be nice, but they are pretty pricey and also a bit too big.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I use the Fanatec Rennsport Wheel Stand (but it seems to be discontinued) -- so either find an ebay one of those, or the 'Wheel Stand Pro' is the second choice. You're spending $100-$150 for this but the sturdier, the better.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

the only RCR vid that matters is the Avenger video

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Previa_fun posted:

Most YouTube car people are bad. I'm burning out on RCR too because dude's kind of a dick. If you watch any of the POV drives he doesn't really let the owners speak, it's "Uh huh...uh huh...OH THAT REMINDS ME OF SOMETHING THAT HAPPENED TO ME...uh huh...uh huh"

Someone on here phrased it best that he doesn't like cars; he likes writing about cars.

he's a true believer lolbertarian; he took adam carolla's "i'm a self made man" screed at face value. he's nice enough but i can't get over the cynicism.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Sears chat... I got my very first credit card from Sears before I should have been allowed to have a credit card. I'm fairly sure they decided it was cheaper to give me a card with an amazing $200 limit than it was to keep giving me free bottle of Pepsi for filling out the application every time I was at the mall.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Phone posted:

he's a true believer lolbertarian; he took adam carolla's "i'm a self made man" screed at face value. he's nice enough but i can't get over the cynicism.

Which is fitting because he's borderline /r/incel.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
I stopped watching RCR and recently because I'm on a cheap euro bend started watching hoovies garage. The guy takes the piss out of himself (sometimes annoying, sometimes funny) and often gets bad luck and has to spend money while flipping euros, like blowing the motor on the porsche and putting a chev v8 in it (can't remember if it was a ls)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWUqrn2yKns
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ni-XIxEhQTA&t=354s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idyRLDxL-FI

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Fo3 posted:

I stopped watching RCR and recently because I'm on a cheap euro bend started watching hoovies garage. The guy takes the piss out of himself (sometimes annoying, sometimes funny) and often gets bad luck and has to spend money while flipping euros, like blowing the motor on the porsche and putting a chev v8 in it (can't remember if it was a ls)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWUqrn2yKns
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ni-XIxEhQTA&t=354s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idyRLDxL-FI

I like hoovies garage. More than RCR and DeMuro. I think he actually knows enough about cars to make some interesting purchases, and although he sounds like a d-bag he at least has some humility when he fucks up.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Phone posted:

What? If anything the RCR dude is far left liberal, the jokes and things they put into their videos can't be taken any other way, especially with his writing degree and rips on small-town America. RCR can be not-good anymore without also making the dude something he is not.
I'll give you the incel thing though, that feels very much there.

rdb posted:

I like hoovies garage. More than RCR and DeMuro. I think he actually knows enough about cars to make some interesting purchases, and although he sounds like a d-bag he at least has some humility when he fucks up.

DeMuro is so bad I will never understand why people even watch that dude.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

KakerMix posted:

DeMuro is so bad I will never understand why people even watch that dude.

His writing is good occasionally? Better than Torchinsky whose writing and camera presence are both loving terrible and I don't know why he's employed for doing either of those things.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
RCR throws in a TON of references only southern PA locals get. I love him for that, but it doesn't exactly endear him to people who have no idea what Kaufmanns chicken is all about.

Still pissed he didn't do my GTP when I had it. He did like 6 Subarus but hasn't done the W-body?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

KakerMix posted:

I'll give you the incel thing though, that feels very much there.
Eh, I know people who are, and he probably isn't. He's just not got a lot of confidence socially.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I don't get the "RCR is libertarian/incel" thing at all.

He's just a bit socially awkward, and him talking a lot in POV videos is likely because the owners are a bit camera shy, plus he used to do radio. He's trying to avoid dead air.

Also he rips mercilessly into Kustom Kar Kulture and midlife crisis Corvette/Mustang/etc. owners, which is always good.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
RCR isnt some drat stupid incel, what the gently caress? He's obviously socially awkward, but he's definatly a well spoken, thoughtful guy in person who is so far from fat pony loving fedora wearing creep it's not funny. Plus he's not exactly ugly.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

In the interests of the current incel conversation this is a documentary made years ago that's an insight into the socially awkward and the weird little corners of the internet that breeds a certain attitude towards women.

https://vimeo.com/28466163

"I WANT TO gently caress WOMEN BUT THEY'RE ALL WHORES!"

...so your problem is....................?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Guys that say poo poo like that really need to have a hard goddamn look at themselves and maybe get some sense beaten into them. Firstly a) A woman that wants to have sex is a GOOD thing (JFC what the hell is wrong with people. Men are studs if they gently caress around but women are whores and sluts???? What a pathetic double standard) and B) The woman aint the problem here.

I'm socially awkward with women but that's no excuse to be slagging off at women about MY awkwardness is it now?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

You're self aware, most incel weirdos aren't. The world around them is stopping them from putting their winky in lady, not their awful attitudes towards women in general and everything that stems from it.

That documentary is pretty good, a nice little insight into the thinking or some people. I love subcultures in general so lap poo poo like this up.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

So whats the best gaming wheel stand out there these days, anyone use them? Just got a huge PS3 system lot for 50 bucks with a Logitec G29 and a shitload of games, controllers, etc.

My son is super into racing so I figured I'd get an adjustable setup we can both use. An entire seat setup would be nice, but they are pretty pricey and also a bit too big.

I picked up a stand from Taiwan on eBay, it's held up find to a G27 and a 36 inch tv sitting on top. Similar to this one https://www.ebay.com/itm/Logitech-Driving-Gaming-Mounting-Plate-GT-G29-G27-G25-Slim-Racing-Wheel-Stand-/192331637033?hash=item2cc7dbe129 I have a spare E30 front seat sitting on a piece of high density foam and it works pretty good.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Applebees Appetizer posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3763524&pagenumber=75#lastpost

Check out the last few pages, we're talking about sim setups and stands. Join usssssssssssss

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

He's a nice guy, he's just a bit neurotic. I think he talks on because he's socially awkward around people.

But yes, he likes cars, just doesn't have the kind of in-depth understaning a lot of us do.

I love when he goes on philosophical/English rants, but he's basically just reviewing the same cars over and over again now, and its getting boring.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Lack of money, logically.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

The incel thread in GBS is such a great little window into their sad little world.

Like, how do you get so broke brained that you think your wrist thickness or face length makes you unfuckable? And their terminology they've made up is hilarious

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
*Googles "incel"*

Oh...oh my.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

ExplodingSims posted:

Like, how do you get so broke brained that you think your wrist thickness or face length makes you unfuckable?
The issue is when you think other people "should" want to gently caress you, rather than sorting yourself out to fit what people are attracted to. Same with "fat acceptance" numpties.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Fat acceptance and the Healthy at Any Size crowd are so infurating. Like they come so close to a good message of "Not everyone is gonna be a supermodel, and that's ok" but then veer off into "It's totally cool and healthy to be 500lbs and permanent stuck in a rascal scooter "

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Is there a gay version of incel? How does that work?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Goober Peas posted:

Is there a gay version of incel? How does that work?

Yes and by their accounts it doesn’t

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Dagen H posted:

*Googles "incel"*

Oh...oh my.

Oh my sweet summer child.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Dagen H posted:

*Googles "incel"*

Oh...oh my.

Same. Wtf.

Could we just call them weirdos? Their little self description is kind of empowering, and it doesn't deserve that.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

angryrobots posted:

Their little self description is kind of empowering

It's really not. :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Every few months I manage to forget what the word Incel means and it's like a painful shock to my brain when I look it up.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Dagen H posted:

*Googles "incel"*

Oh...oh my.

Same. What in the what :aaa:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Rhyno posted:

Every few months I manage to forget what the word Incel means and it's like a painful shock to my brain when I look it up.

What do you go by the rest of the time

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Mr regular seems like an alright guy and I like his literary tangents. I can't explain why I watch demuro though, maybe I rely on being told to go to auto trader dot com slash oversteer to get through my week.

He does get access to some interesting cars outside of the normal supercars though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Adiabatic posted:

What do you go by the rest of the time

Fedora Enthusiast.

So hey, Ebay and Discount Tires Direct are running a $100 off $400 and up deal right now.

https://www.ebay.com/rpp/4887?rmvSB=true&afepn=5337259887&rmvSB=true

Pretty great selection and $100 off with free shipping. After reading every review I could find I ended up going with a cheap set of Coopers. And Cooper is running a $100 off coupon as well so they set me back $344 with a $100 card coming my way. If you need cheap tires this can't be beat.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Enourmo posted:

the only RCR vid that matters is the Avenger video

As a previous Corvette owner that went to a Corvette meet for all of 5 minutes, I found "Which Corvette is Best Corvette" particularly hilarious... And true, so true. I feel there is a certain crossover segment between Corvette and PT owners that buy Mid-America bolt on garbage in an attempt to be unique and capture whatever in the hell it is they're looking for that the stock vehicle didn't have to begin with. Maybe it's the louvre tail lights or maybe it's the model of a car on the dash that's the exact same as the car they're driving. There's just something off about that whole crowd.

redgubbinz posted:

I can't explain why I watch demuro though

Yeah, I have nothing to offer you on that one. That guy's just a douche in both the audio and video senses.

keykey fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Oct 19, 2017

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Doug is fine. He's just goofy.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

keykey posted:

As a previous Corvette owner that went to a Corvette meet for all of 5 minutes, I found "Which Corvette is Best Corvette" particularly hilarious... And true, so true. I feel there is a certain crossover segment between Corvette and PT owners that buy Mid-America bolt on garbage in an attempt to be unique and capture whatever in the hell it is they're looking for that the stock vehicle didn't have to begin with. Maybe it's the louvre tail lights or maybe it's the model of a car on the dash that's the exact same as the car they're driving. There's just something off about that whole crowd.

Oh yeah the "Which __ is best __?" videos are solid, along with the car show/Cars and Coffee/air museum vids*, i was thinking of the main car reviews.

*Solar aircraft/"Prius" was gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Dagen H posted:

*Googles "incel"*

Oh...oh my.

Same.
And the irony is that the term was coined by a woman trying to analyze her situation. It was also meant to be inclusive, meaning the term was independent of why you weren't getting any, and gender was not important.

• Locked thread