Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I’ll be getting the 4G watch, but it just clicked that hangouts still doesn’t have a watch app, and since I use hangouts for messaging (google voice) until they make an app or if they make one, I can’t send texts on the go, only respond from messages received.

That’s assuming that all notifications from my phone, say it’s sitting at home, get forwarded to the watch. Has anyone trialed notifications from an app that has a phone app, but not a watch app, while on 4G with the watch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
LTE.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

I’ll be getting the 4G watch, but it just clicked that hangouts still doesn’t have a watch app, and since I use hangouts for messaging (google voice) until they make an app or if they make one, I can’t send texts on the go, only respond from messages received.

That’s assuming that all notifications from my phone, say it’s sitting at home, get forwarded to the watch. Has anyone trialed notifications from an app that has a phone app, but not a watch app, while on 4G with the watch?

I haven't yet, but i'm 90 percent sure it'll behave the same way as it does when your phone is with you, provided your phone is still on and connected to the internet. If you absolutely depend on hangouts for communications, I'm confident in saying you're going to have a pretty bad time with this platform.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Apparently the LTE Watch gets a bunch of phone line fees so $10 quickly turns into $17. As opposed to the LTE iPad which is $12 with taxes for $10 charge. Ouch.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nerdrock posted:

I haven't yet, but i'm 90 percent sure it'll behave the same way as it does when your phone is with you, provided your phone is still on and connected to the internet. If you absolutely depend on hangouts for communications, I'm confident in saying you're going to have a pretty bad time with this platform.

It works currently with hangouts fine for receiving and responding, it’s just whether it works when the watch is away from the phone.

smackfu posted:

Apparently the LTE Watch gets a bunch of phone line fees so $10 quickly turns into $17. As opposed to the LTE iPad which is $12 with taxes for $10 charge. Ouch.

This isn’t surprising, it would def have a 911 and other phone charges. Still sucks.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
$7 sounds high, though. Unless it’s the “split your total plan sales tax mostly evenly among all your lines” thing and the watch is a “line”.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

$7 sounds high, though. Unless it’s the “split your total plan sales tax mostly evenly among all your lines” thing and the watch is a “line”.

The watch has a phone number that makes calls, so very likely you’re getting hit with both the 911 fee, any other fees by state or fed Gov, plus maybe even admin fees. Hard to say, I haven’t seen a bill for one yet.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

davestones posted:

Any recommendations for a dock for both iPhone and watch? My bedside table is already a jungle of wires so need to tidy up a bit :(

The Belkin Powerhouse is a bit pricey but really nice.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

It works currently with hangouts fine for receiving and responding, it’s just whether it works when the watch is away from the phone.

no poo poo. you phrased your question clearly the first time. i'm just telling you things aren't going to work well for you.

i just confirmed it for you. behaves the same.

Walked the dog without my phone, (left it on at home) and asked a buddy to send me a message in 10 minutes
friend sent 3 hangouts messages. i got them, and responded to two.
he responded with a fourth AFTER my response, and i didn't get a notification for that.

Like I said : you're going to have a pretty bad time. it'll work for a short back and forth obviously, but it's not trustworthy for longer exchanges.

Nerdrock fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Oct 16, 2017

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Duckman2008 posted:

The watch has a phone number that makes calls,
Really? It doesn’t have to use your iPhone’s number? That seems kind of surprising.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

It must be some kind of limitation with the sim, it's like it's forwarded to your number or something. Like for example my LTE iPad has a phone number too because it has a sim though I never use the number for anything.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Really? It doesn’t have to use your iPhone’s number? That seems kind of surprising.

It has what I would call a “fake” number assigned to it, and then it’s programmed to essentially call forward and work with your “real” number.

Nerdrock posted:

no poo poo. you phrased your question clearly the first time. i'm just telling you things aren't going to work well for you.

i just confirmed it for you. behaves the same.

Walked the dog without my phone, (left it on at home) and asked a buddy to send me a message in 10 minutes
friend sent 3 hangouts messages. i got them, and responded to two.
he responded with a fourth AFTER my response, and i didn't get a notification for that.

Like I said : you're going to have a pretty bad time. it'll work for a short back and forth obviously, but it's not trustworthy for longer exchanges.

Appreciate the feedback. Honestly, I don’t think I’ll really need the cellular. But for now, I get half off the service, I don’t plan on upgrading my phone, so the watch will be my new device for the fall. So might as well.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Duckman2008 posted:

The watch has a phone number that makes calls, so very likely you’re getting hit with both the 911 fee, any other fees by state or fed Gov, plus maybe even admin fees. Hard to say, I haven’t seen a bill for one yet.

It's a data-only phone number. It cannot send or receive calls.

And for the small amount of data it would ever use, any charge above $5 (total) is a ripoff.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Xenomorph posted:

It's a data-only phone number. It cannot send or receive calls.

And for the small amount of data it would ever use, any charge above $5 (total) is a ripoff.

Hey, I’m not disagreeing , I’m just saying what I think it is. And it’s data only, but it’s VOLTE. When I input a watch in Verizon’s system, it asks to confirm 911 address and everything, which is why I’m betting the taxes are higher than an iPad.

I’ll look for a billed watch and confirm.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

Hey, I’m not disagreeing , I’m just saying what I think it is. And it’s data only, but it’s VOLTE. When I input a watch in Verizon’s system, it asks to confirm 911 address and everything, which is why I’m betting the taxes are higher than an iPad.

I’ll look for a billed watch and confirm.

i'm on verizon, can confirm that it has its own 'phone number'. i didn't get prompted for e911 stuff like i did with an android wear LTE watch i had. you get 3 months 'free' so I can't confirm or deny what the charges are going to look like, quite yet.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Mannnn. I am torn on going stainless or not. Either way I will be going silver, but the SS is tempting, especially with the sapphire screen.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I had the same debate with my S0 but ended up getting sport. Mainly because it was new technology and I figured I'd save a few bucks. I didn't regret it but my watch did get pretty scratched up and had a small crack in the lower corner of the screen over the years. This time with the S3, I went with stainless because I'm sure I'll be using it everyday for at least the next 3 years. I also really like the look of the stainless body and it matches cheaper metal bands better (other colors always show scuffs).

Before Apple Watch, I was always a watch wearing person. I'd generally wear something in the $250-$400 range and wear it for around 5 years. I'm pretty happy with what the watch can do and I really love that I can easily switch the bands.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Haggins posted:

I had the same debate with my S0 but ended up getting sport. Mainly because it was new technology and I figured I'd save a few bucks. I didn't regret it but my watch did get pretty scratched up and had a small crack in the lower corner of the screen over the years. This time with the S3, I went with stainless because I'm sure I'll be using it everyday for at least the next 3 years. I also really like the look of the stainless body and it matches cheaper metal bands better (other colors always show scuffs).

Before Apple Watch, I was always a watch wearing person. I'd generally wear something in the $250-$400 range and wear it for around 5 years. I'm pretty happy with what the watch can do and I really love that I can easily switch the bands.

Yep, there are all the same arguments im having in my head. I has a S0 in Space great but when I went to the apple store recently and saw the S3 stainless it got me thinking about it. I've sold off a few watches to subsidize the price of the S3 so it's not really the money.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Man. Going from a two year old S0 to a S2, the battery life seems almost impossibly good.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The stainless steel looks nice but it’s heavier than I prefer, which is what caused me to go with the sport from the get go.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I just upgraded to stainless and yeah, you don't ever forget it's on your wrist like you could with the aluminum variety. A good trade-off I wasn't expecting, though, the stainless & ceramic is more comfortable on the skin than the aluminum & composite.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

SS just feels more solid to me and I like it.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Went with the SS. Love it. Definitely reminds me of my regular SS watch. But for fucks sake I hate the white rubber sport strap. Just the color. The strap itself is super nice though.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Yeah I don't like the white at all. I think it goes nice with black bands. I'm keeping the black band from my S0 and giving my S0 plus the white band from the SS to my sister.

Also I just picked up this band, which is on sale: http://amzn.to/2zfE61U I have their leather deployant I really like so I figured I'll give their mesh a try

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

I ended up grabbing a Milanese knockoff that's recently recommended on Macrumors and a Clockwork Synergy NATO.

If I get some bucks for Xmas to play around with I'm kind of lusting after the Saddle Brown classic buckle. Can't seem to find a decent knockoff with stainless hardware.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
as an Aussie, I can't believe the US is charging the way it is for the cell service.

It's $5 a month here, flat.

sorry dudes :(

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I feel for anyone paying even $10 a month for cell service on the Series 3, because that's $120 a year just for the convenience of leaving your phone behind, that thing you're already paying at least $600 a year for. But I really wanna see some +$17/mo phone bills :devil:

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Hopefully competition will lower the price. It's seemed to work out on unlimited data plans, I actually like my plan on AT&T a lot now.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I’m surprised Canada is only charging 5/mo.

davestones
May 7, 2009

enojy posted:

I feel for anyone paying even $10 a month for cell service on the Series 3, because that's $120 a year just for the convenience of leaving your phone behind, that thing you're already paying at least $600 a year for. But I really wanna see some +$17/mo phone bills :devil:

UK price is £25 a month for 24 months with EE for the watch and unlimited data, they have carrier exclusivity at the moment so no other alternative.

If you buy the watch on your own from Apple you can get free data and Apple Music for 6 months then £5 a month for 10GB as long as you already have an EE iPhone contract. Swings and roundabouts really.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Refurb SS S2 or Aluminum S3 non-LTE? Can't make the decision.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The S2 is still great on OS4, the only big issue I have is they've totally hosed up the music app and it loads insanely slowly so if that's an issue, maybe try it on an S3 first.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Yeah boy what is with that music app

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

GoldfishStew posted:

It's so bad that I don't use it at all anymore.
Used to be great for running, change albums with the watch. Now it's just a pile of poo poo

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

GoldfishStew posted:

They wanted to make it work really great with Apple Music over LTE. Then went ahead and removed all of it before release because it wasn’t ready. It’s supposed to be out this month at which point the music app will be able to have full access to AM?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

They wanted to make it work really great with Apple Music over LTE. Then went ahead and removed all of it before release because it wasn’t ready. It’s supposed to be out this month at which point the music app will be able to have full access to AM?

Hmmm that sounds better.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Hmmm that sounds better.

Does it sound better or does it sound like what we had before? Unless I’m reading it wrong to me it just seems like they gimped it to just be music on your watch and no longer access to all your phone music and now it will just be restored to what it was. Seems like me, a paying Apple Music subscriber, has taken a month or so long hit so they can prep for new LTE owners. Genuinely curious if I’m wrong about any of this.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

GoldfishStew posted:

Does it sound better or does it sound like what we had before? Unless I’m reading it wrong to me it just seems like they gimped it to just be music on your watch and no longer access to all your phone music and now it will just be restored to what it was. Seems like me, a paying Apple Music subscriber, has taken a month or so long hit so they can prep for new LTE owners. Genuinely curious if I’m wrong about any of this.

No I mean, definitely worse than what we had on OS3 but better than the rubbish that's on OS4.
The app still takes way too long to load up though.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

GoldfishStew posted:

You’re correct. Here’s a video of the music and radio apps on WatchOS 4.1. Last I checked it’s supposed to be out in October:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sP4WK70XXs

Video shows you have access to your whole library without needing to sync (just as before). Radio is going to be its own app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
So quick question then (as a non-Apple Watch user): what happens if I'm listen to podcasts and walk out of range of my iPhone and wifi and I have a non-LTE Watch?

I'm in wifi nearly all the time except for when I'm doing yardwork outside. If I started listening to podcasts while connected to my home wifi and walked outside of my wifi-range, what happens?

• Locked thread