Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
From the AMD thread,

repiv posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMzXMvOaTZk

tldr: AMDs NVMe RAID driver installs outdated, exploitable copies of Apache and PHP just to host the config UI, and configures them to run as SYSTEM (i.e. root) and listen on all external network interfaces :psyboom:

skip the video to the two minute mark unless you like cringe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Not a secfuck yet but...

quote:

GE and Apple announced a partnership today that will pave the way for putting utility analytics software Predix on iOS devices. The Predix software development kit will allow 77 utilities that work with GE to manage turbines, condensers, boiler feed pumps, and more from iPads and iPhones.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/10/apple-and-ge-partner-to-make-industrial-analytics-ios-accessible/

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

nice of them to announce it before the software dicks us

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

McGlockenshire posted:

From the AMD thread,

skip the video to the two minute mark unless you like cringe
rip the yospos amd thread

ok wait why does this guy think a hardcoded username/password is bad (true), but an "oh you've never logged in before, what do you want your password to be" is good, or better

it took him digging through services.msc to figure out that apache was installed despite later acknowledging that he had to click through an "apache web server wants access to the firewall" prompt?

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Oct 19, 2017

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
shipping a local config tool in php is hilarious and running apache as system to make it possible is even better. amd drivers were always bad but this is just on another level

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
its high performance art

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

scottch posted:

im security for a university and yeah, gently caress this poo poo forever and ever. new director/cio are changing some of that culture but ugh its such a poo poo show. rip me.

Ours was terrible and denied all requests for changes we needed because "security". So every department had their own IT / hax so that they could get research done.

The new team are more permissive, work with you to find good solutions to problems and are ripping all the old poo poo down and replacing it with managed stuff that works better and is more secure. It owns.

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

good security teams help with the how part instead of being stuck in the infantile “no” phase of their lives. and that’s why security teams still have a hard time getting poo poo done of keeping control

I’m angry at companies stuck in that mode. thanks for reading I guess

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

its high performance art

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

abigserve posted:

I told the last place I worked to implement a pppoe setup for the dorms so the students could simply bring their own routers in and we wouldn't have to worry about huge wifi deployments, but it was shafted as too expensive

then they built the next big building and it was a bunch of shipping containers stiched together so basically every room required an enterprise AP lmao

We moved to the hospitality approach of a small low power 802.11ac AP in more or less every other dorm room.

For a while since the students bought routers anyways it was arguable that letting them do that worked better than our earlier deployment we let it go. But now with large channel widths and every other student going Tim taylor and ramping the power up - the 'secfuck' is they basically ddos the spectrum in their own building. Oops.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Partycat posted:

We moved to the hospitality approach of a small low power 802.11ac AP in more or less every other dorm room.

For a while since the students bought routers anyways it was arguable that letting them do that worked better than our earlier deployment we let it go. But now with large channel widths and every other student going Tim taylor and ramping the power up - the 'secfuck' is they basically ddos the spectrum in their own building. Oops.

yeah we had that same problem as well, but to me I'm like you're all living together so either co-operate or use the wired ports on ya routers yo

the small ac jobs in every room is the way to go though if you want to run it as an enterprise deployment, but she's fuckin exxy and then you gotta deal with CALL#66642069: Wireless Is Slow On Student Laptop

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Rumor is Kaspersky is bleeding employees ahead of expected layoffs.

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."

yoloer420 posted:

Ours was terrible and denied all requests for changes we needed because "security". So every department had their own IT / hax so that they could get research done.

The new team are more permissive, work with you to find good solutions to problems and are ripping all the old poo poo down and replacing it with managed stuff that works better and is more secure. It owns.

we're in a similar position, all managed gear and we generally work with people to get they poo poo working as long as its a reasonable request. we still va the hell out of everything, it just takes a long rear end time because besides me, i've got one coworker. working on that part too but isnt easy when the salary isnt very competitive.

the silo problem is real loving lovely though. we're about halfway through a multiyear project to just get everything on the same drat domain. i hate to say it, but for workstation management and monitoring, mcafee is the only tool that weve managed to get campus wide installation of and their HIPS product isnt half bad for monitoring if you get creative with it.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

CommieGIR posted:

Rumor is Kaspersky is bleeding employees ahead of expected layoffs.

if you're good at photoshopping people out of employee group photos, your job's probably safe

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

flakeloaf posted:

if you're good at photoshopping people out of employee group photos, your job's probably safe

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Maximum Leader posted:

shipping a local config tool in php is hilarious and running apache as system to make it possible is even better. amd drivers were always bad but this is just on another level

Didn't nVidia do exactly the same thing back in the nForce chipset days? IIRC it was for a claimed "hardware firewall" which was about as much actual hardware as this RAID is.

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

flakeloaf posted:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

flakeloaf posted:

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

yes that is the joke

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

yes that is the joke

now do the same, but social media and government records too

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

M_Gargantua posted:

wasnt this the plot of catwoman?

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

And then you could get a job doing it, at the big new windowless building down in the city centre.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

wasnt this the plot of catwoman?

The third Nolan Batman film.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

wahey :toot:

https://twitter.com/letsencrypt/status/921036474811912192

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Wildcard certificates are bad

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

spankmeister posted:

Wildcard certificates are bad

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
https://media.giphy.com/media/7yTqXVALy7Fwk/giphy.mp4

Jewel
May 2, 2009

for corporations sure, but what if i want to have ssl on my lovely personal website with some subdomains like blog or portfolio or whatever and not have to manage multiple certs

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Jewel posted:

for corporations sure, but what if i want to have ssl on my lovely personal website with some subdomains like blog or portfolio or whatever and not have to manage multiple certs

use SAN's, which let's encrypt already supports

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

the only legitimate reason to use a wildcard is if you have dynamic subdomains and if you have those you're probably a massive content provider anyway

e: or i guess if it's a private wildcard you just use for internal testing / validation or something like that i guess

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
god i so so hope that the kaspersky bullshit doesn’t mean the fsb have infiltrated jetbrains too

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jewel posted:

You manage multiple domains in one cert

Jewel
May 2, 2009

fwiw i dont know anything about certs or websites i am but a simple game engine programmer but it's neat to learn about stuff like that from this thread! idk why so many replies to that tweet are so happy then unless they're as uninformed as me while also actually owning a website in which case,

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Jewel posted:

fwiw i dont know anything about certs or websites i am but a simple game engine programmer but it's neat to learn about stuff like that from this thread! idk why so many replies to that tweet are so happy then unless they're as uninformed as me while also actually owning a website in which case,

wildcard certs are super duper easy because they don't require you to do all the hard work of actually managing which subdomains are valid, or generating unique private keys for each server if they're physically separate - you can just copy the wildcard to whatever, wherever, and forget about it

it's the "step 1: disable SELinux" of certs

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

ate all the Oreos posted:

the only legitimate reason to use a wildcard is if you have dynamic subdomains and if you have those you're probably a massive content provider anyway

e: or i guess if it's a private wildcard you just use for internal testing / validation or something like that i guess
I have a hosted system which uses per-customer subdomains. I'd rather not be sending every single client a list of which customers are on a given cluster.

We are minimizing the risk by using separate domains for each cluster. An attacker who somehow got ahold of a given cert would only be able to spoof the same machines they've apparently already managed to breach in the first place.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

ate all the Oreos posted:

wildcard certs are super duper easy because they don't require you to do all the hard work of actually managing which subdomains are valid, or generating unique private keys for each server if they're physically separate - you can just copy the wildcard to whatever, wherever, and forget about it

it's the "step 1: disable SELinux" of certs

If you're worried about sharing private keys between servers a wildcard cert is exactly not what you want

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
exactly, he's being sarcastic

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
dynamic subdomains are a cheap and easy way to make customers feel valued and wildcard certs are an important part of the sustainability of that

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
anytime someone says "disable selinux" i immediately stop listening to whatever they're saying.

"im afraid/unwilling to learn the tools" is a pretty big indicator that you're a loving moron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Cocoa Crispies posted:

dynamic subdomains are a cheap and easy way to make customers feel valued and wildcard certs are an important part of the sustainability of that

can't you just automate the creation of new certs via lets encrypt?

or are you unwilling to allocate IPs to each subdomain?

• Locked thread