Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WE RIDE
Jul 29, 2003

Shockeh posted:

Going Charity Gift?

I am, yeah! You?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

WE RIDE posted:

I'm playing in my first Netrunner tournament in a few weeks! It's an event for charity where players bid for pairs of IDs. I've ended up with Blue Sun/Quetzal.

I'm a relatively inexperienced player, I'm excited to play in this tournament and just mainly hoping not to get completely hosed. Any tips for strategies/builds for my IDs?

I'm not sure what the latest ban wave or rotation or anything is like, but I believe the idea is loosely:

Pack currents in blue sun, because employee strike turns off your gimmick, and its either that or play a blank id. Eliza's toybox is potentialy interesting, but you still need a way to leverage the money you can make.

Quetzal likes e3 feedback. Anarchs have some strong options, panchatantra may be worth importing if you want to make the most out of her ability. Its like a clickless paintbrush, surfer is also worth considering.

basic id page has some ideas. blue sun

the dumbest quetzal deck I know is here. Its outdated, but its got an amusing write up worth reading.

Otherwise i'm out of date and can't help much. Maybe other people can speak up as far as the current meta goes?

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

WE RIDE posted:

I am, yeah! You?

Yep. I played in last years, and I've got a tonne of love for what Rich does for the community. I'm the noisy fucker in a room full of card game introverts.

I got NEXT design and a SUPER SECRET runner ID.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

TheParadigm posted:

Quetzal likes e3 feedback. Anarchs have some strong options, panchatantra may be worth importing if you want to make the most out of her ability. Its like a clickless paintbrush, surfer is also worth considering.

If rotation is in effect then e3 is no longer legal. Panchatantra also doesn't work with Quetzal's ability at all, since you very specifically cannot name barrier/sentry/code gate for the type you're giving it.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Kaethela posted:

If rotation is in effect

oh god I hope not, Blue Sun w/o OAI would suck

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Rotation happened this week, no? Any tournament should be using rotation + new banlist at this point.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Andarel posted:

Rotation happened this week, no? Any tournament should be using rotation + new banlist at this point.

This is correct. Everything took effect on Oct. 1st.

WE RIDE
Jul 29, 2003

Andarel posted:

Yep, we're using revised core, rotation & MWL 2.0. No OAI for my poor Blue Sun deck...

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

There's a horrifyingly oppressive Chaos Theory deck that's flavor of the week on Jinteki.net that runs on Tapwrms, sac-cons, mining accidents and a big-rig. Does anyone have a link to it? I'm trying to figure out some form of counter play to it.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

WE RIDE posted:

Yep, we're using revised core, rotation & MWL 2.0. No OAI for my poor Blue Sun deck...

Am I reading this right, and there's no cycle 1 or 2 cards aside from reprints in core? dang. thats a lot of classic cards gone

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

TheParadigm posted:

Am I reading this right, and there's no cycle 1 or 2 cards aside from reprints in core? dang. thats a lot of classic cards gone

That's the reason for Core 2.0 - everything in the first two cycles and Core 1.0 is gone, unless it's in 2.0.

So for example this means Noise and Parasite are gone, as they are not in the most recent core set. On the other hand, Chaos Theory and Dinosaurus will never rotate out barring a Core Set 3.0.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Brofessor Slayton posted:

That's the reason for Core 2.0 - everything in the first two cycles and Core 1.0 is gone, unless it's in 2.0.

So for example this means Noise and Parasite are gone, as they are not in the most recent core set. On the other hand, Chaos Theory and Dinosaurus will never rotate out barring a Core Set 3.0.

what kind of a monster would want to get rid of CT and her dino buddy

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Cinnamon Bear posted:

what kind of a monster would want to get rid of CT and her dino buddy

a soulless corporation

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice

Machai posted:

a soulless corporation

What if FFG was the true evil corporation all along???

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Vlaada Chvatil posted:

It's a good thing we live in the reality where evil corporations only exist in fiction.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Now that Chaos Theory has been updated to be a little older they should give her +1.5 MU.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

The idea of 0.5 MU programs is interesting, because there's plenty that don't justify a full MU but I have trouble envisioning there being enough half-mu programs to be worth the deck slots.

Cloud programs are probably a more elegant solution.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
Have "fun casual decks to play with 2 new core sets" popped up yet?

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Vlaada Chvatil posted:

Need an FFG-mini faction in the next box

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Quick question:

AR Enhanced Security says "the first time the Runner trashes a Corp card each turn, give him or her one tag".

Maw says "...The Corp must trash 1 card from HQ at random".

Does ARES fire on Maw triggers? Maw's card text says the Corp is doing the trashing, not the Runner, but on j.net at least you get tags in this situation.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I would think no, because the Runner is not initiating the trash. Maw is written as the Corp initiating the trash, not the Runner, which is the necessary trigger on AR Enhanced Security.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Yeah, Maw is safe from the ARs.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Yeah, that's what I thought. Maybe I'll raise it with the jnet people

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Anyone brewing anything? It looks like if you're not on Gang Sign Leela, you're dead in the water as Crim, while Anarch and Shaper are doing OK.

But the Corp side is a mess. Lots of Skorpios out there, but also CI, which feels like the ID to beat right now because of its hand size. If I'm a runner, right now I want to find a way to pack E-Strike; unfortunately that rules out Shaper as every Shaper deck wants one of the restricted pieces, so that puts you squarely in Anarch.

Paperclip should've gone on the Restricted list, it's literally the only barrier breaker any deck (even stealth decks) run. It's entirely too efficient and ubiquitous. If you want to encourage a diverse meta, force decks to run different breakers.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 19, 2017

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Giest is doing pretty okay right now if you like to go slow, which is fine because I love Giest. Dean Lister and Maxwell James just give him more stuff to fire his ID with and Amunkua is a really good side piece to the Break and Enter suite.

Agree with Paperclip. If it functioned more like the other breakers in its cycle then it would probably still be used after Corroder cycled out but it'd be way less trivial to deal with barriers. I've seen decks forgo barriers entirely because Paperclip exists.

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 19, 2017

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

The Deleter posted:

Giest is doing pretty okay right now if you like to go slow, which is fine because I love Giest. Dean Lister and Maxwell James just give him more stuff to fire his ID with and Amunkua is a really good side piece to the Break and Enter suite.

My experience on jnet is that Geist got SUPER popular, and everyone teched hard against AI breakers, so Aumakua is a non-factor now. Goes to show you what getting played by CodeMarvelous for a few days can do for a deck's popularity.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

My experience on jnet is that Geist got SUPER popular, and everyone teched hard against AI breakers, so Aumakua is a non-factor now. Goes to show you what getting played by CodeMarvelous for a few days can do for a deck's popularity.

In that case Crims are hosed until Kitara Cycle comes out and throws them some bones.

Corp-side is pretty wild, I've seen Builder of Nations decks doing stuff that would probably be better out of Jemison or Skorpios (but it's real cool). Never seen Aginfusion in the wild - what's up with that - but I think Palana is back now glacier is better. Don't quote me on that.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Here's a question: Are runners leaning on their IDs enough that cerebral static makes sense? It's a current, which helps a little in letting you win that war if needed, and making Smoke work harder to charge up Net Mercur or shutting off Geists draw engine might be useful?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Thinking about Corp, I’ve been wondering if some specific resource denial stuff like Spark, Chronos Protocol, Argus, etc could be really strong right now? Runners lost a SHITLOAD of economy cards, so maybe now is the right time to pressure that.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

CodfishCartographer posted:

Thinking about Corp, I’ve been wondering if some specific resource denial stuff like Spark, Chronos Protocol, Argus, etc could be really strong right now? Runners lost a SHITLOAD of economy cards, so maybe now is the right time to pressure that.

I will say that between Scarcity of Resources and Housekeeping (which is BACKBREAKING to so many runners), there are great, easy-to-import denial tools all over. I still don't like Argus, because if they spent their restricted card on Film Critic (or god forbid are playing Jesminder) you are straight-hosed

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Oct 19, 2017

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Spark saw some play at a tourney I think, but I've not seen Argus just because of Film Critic still existing.

Cerebral Static is fine but between Scarcity and Housekeeping you've probably got better options for currents. I might try it out of Palana though, maybe as a 1 or 2 of.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I want to make a reina roja deck now. Love me some chess.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
It's so weird to live at a time when Weyland is better than NBN at fast advance.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Even gang sign leela has a bunch of issues because crim has basically no economy right now if you want to be competitive, and there's no real good currents available to criminals right now.

Yellow in general is still in a decent place because tags are non-trivial to clear now due to basically all good runner econ being restricted or gone. Simply the threat of BOOM! is enough to keep most runners exceptionally poor when you're playing Sync.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
is Harishchandra Ent worth playing now?

Also what the gently caress is Haarpsichord going to do now that they can go all tag-n-bag?

e: Run Salem cards in Chronos Protocol and just target all the poo poo the runner needs to function?

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 19, 2017

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I've never seen anybody play Harischandra, even though that ability is insanely good on paper. Presumably it's because runner decks are predictable enough that you don't need to look at their hand?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
The common consensus I've always heard is that it likes tag storming, but doesn't have any built-in tools to help make tagging easier or to further punish tagging once it happens. You know exactly what the runner can do, but that doesn't mean you can necessarily stop them from doing it in any meaningful way without extra help (and thus, card slots).

The main times it would be useful would be:
-Early on, before they have a full breaker suite installed, so you know what ice they can't get through. Tagging is hard at this point in the game though.
-You can see they don't have the economy to get through a scoring server, so you KNOW you have a scoring window.

Of course, both of these are vulnerable to the runner just drawing what they need on their turn, and also both rely on you having an agenda and the ice needed to exploit those vulnerabilities.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

berenzen posted:

Even gang sign leela has a bunch of issues because crim has basically no economy right now if you want to be competitive
Import 3 sac con and run tapwrm, it's what every shaper deck does the other direction

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah, I might just swap out my turning wheels for sac cons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

is Harishchandra Ent worth playing now?

e: Run Salem cards in Chronos Protocol and just target all the poo poo the runner needs to function?

Harishchandra would be great if there weren't way better things you could be doing to a tagged runner, like killing them outright, than looking at their hand. Salem's Hospitality is pretty great in CP, and Kakugo is rude as hell in that ID.

• Locked thread