Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Now you just need this outfit to wear when you play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

widefault posted:

Need to clean it up and put new strings on, but it's not a bad player as it sits. i definitely don't see a reason it was only $85 when most of the Jay Tursers they've had were around $150.

Clearly too square to realize that goofiness is a selling point.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

The Muppets On PCP posted:

cubes are arguably the amps that benefit most from changing the stock speaker since roland sticks what's basically a glorified car stereo speaker in there

Yeah, back when I got my Cube 30x many years ago, the first thing I did was switch out the speaker to an Eminence Delta Demon and not only did the volume get higher but the sound was significantly improved. That was a killer deal for great tone back when they sold them - I don't know what the current Cubes are like and what speaker swaps are recommended though.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Flipperwaldt posted:

Now you just need this outfit to wear when you play it.

Actively disappointed you weren't linking to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDyDz8WeiM4&t=31s

which is basically the only thing I can think of when I see a green LP-style guitar

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

More like a NGD for someone else: Fixed this old Shin-Ei Fuzz-Wah (Jesus and Mary Chain used them for "that" sound). It's kinda like an elite athlete past its prime: way more valuable on the market than to the team (me). Sounds awesome tho.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EgB__YratE

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
so im in the market for both a non muff fuzz and a wah and the ehx cock fight ticks both boxes along with making my inner 8th grader grin like an idiot

anyone know of a reason why i should/shouldn't get one?

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
Well, it's not a brassmaster, so that's a con.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvhXMBPSskI

I'm building one now to replace my bass muff.

It doesn't take care of the wah, but boy oh boy does it take care of fuzz.

The Science Goy fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Oct 10, 2017

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The Science Goy posted:

Well, it's not a brassmaster, so that's a con.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvhXMBPSskI

I'm building one now to replace my bass muff.

It doesn't take care of the wah, but boy oh boy does it take care of fuzz.

Is that the Fuzzdog PCB? I want to make a Brassmaster so bad. Way back when I had a Pod XT I bought an expansion pack that had a model of the Brassmaster and my love of fuzz exploded. Little did I realize, it's probably the most involved fuzz circuit there is.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Gringostar posted:

so im in the market for both a non muff fuzz and a wah and the ehx cock fight ticks both boxes along with making my inner 8th grader grin like an idiot

anyone know of a reason why i should/shouldn't get one?

I dunno man I think I'd take this opportunity to introduce you to my favorite Fuzzstortion ever: the Jext Telez White pedal. It is the dopest fuzz sound mixed with a 3-position inductor cocked-wah thing. It starts at Beatles' White Album tone and goes to full-on fuzzy saturation anger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaJDYYxQ6Ug

Watch the whole thing you might be shocked how bonkers it is. I will never sell mine.

edit: I sound like a sales pitch but I have nothing invested in this company. I really, really love this pedal. I've taken it apart and traced its secrets kind of love this pedal (it uses 2n4125 transistors as clipping diodes! neat!).

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Oct 11, 2017

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Not something new, but something I got at a yard sale back in high school and only tonight figured out how to patch into my recording rig: The Realistic 42-2108 Stereo Reverb System!

My walnut grain may be simulated, but not that sweet, sweet 'verb.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
You're supposed to use a PS1 as your CD player, dude, not a PS2.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Anime Reference posted:

You're supposed to use a PS1 as your CD player, dude, not a PS2.

The PS2 is just there for convenience tbh, but the off-camera PS3 is patched into the board for Rocksmith.

no dad im not gay!
Jan 30, 2007

The Muppets On PCP posted:

cubes are arguably the amps that benefit most from changing the stock speaker since roland sticks what's basically a glorified car stereo speaker in there

I don't doubt that but I didn't think I'd get far with a speaker swap in a sealed cab that is a glorified car stereo sub box. The open back on the Katana series is a great move by Roland.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

After The War posted:

Not something new, but something I got at a yard sale back in high school and only tonight figured out how to patch into my recording rig: The Realistic 42-2108 Stereo Reverb System!

My parents had an RS Receiver and this reminded me of that because the fonts/knobs are exactly the same, haha. Also, hey Scarlett 18i8 buddy!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

MrSargent posted:

Also, hey Scarlett 18i8 buddy!

I'm so glad I held out for the four-input interface to match my 70s four-track reel-to-reel era board. It's taken a while, but I've finally got signal running to cassette and computer the way I wanted, and it's scary how good stuff has been turning out when recorded to tape, then dumped into the PC.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Is that the Fuzzdog PCB? I want to make a Brassmaster so bad. Way back when I had a Pod XT I bought an expansion pack that had a model of the Brassmaster and my love of fuzz exploded. Little did I realize, it's probably the most involved fuzz circuit there is.

Yeah, it's the Fuzzdog kit. I didn't expect to have the enclosure holes already drilled out, which was a nice surprise - one less thing to do. I just need to get time to finish things up and to complete the enclosure. The art is mostly done, just need to do some tweaks.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
Got a very exciting duo of a multi cable for a 1 Spot adapter (for guitar pedals) and then 3.5mm (1/8") converter so I can use my honkin huge EHX pedal w/it.
The end result of this unsexy duo of purchases at least means that I can now connect all of my pedals together. Hooray!

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

widefault posted:

Another day, another unnecessary purchase. Or not, look at it!

Look closer!

Now you can play some Thulsa Doom metal.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Because I'm apparently addicted to buying cheap guitars I just ordered one of these: http://www.rondomusic.com/ad201tvy.html
I've been eyeing them for a while but as soon as I saw they were available in TV Yellow I was forced to pull the trigger.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I just picked up a Fender Champion 20 for $40 off Craigslist and for a practice amp this thing sounds sick as hell, even with headphones. It has a bunch of amp models and onboard effects that actually sound pretty drat good. Highly recommended if you're in the market for a practice amp

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:

Might have to get rid of some of those non-black bits though

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008

Tad Naff posted:

Infinite funds? Get a Tele Noir neck. Real nice as is though.

StickySweater fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Oct 18, 2017

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Tad Naff posted:

That’s what sharpies are for.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Anime Reference posted:

Because I'm apparently addicted to buying cheap guitars I just ordered one of these: http://www.rondomusic.com/ad201tvy.html
I've been eyeing them for a while but as soon as I saw they were available in TV Yellow I was forced to pull the trigger.

And here it is, it came sooner than I expected:

Plays great, no noticeable intonation problems from the bridge, and it sounds extremely rude. The neck pickup is insane, I was playing through Amplitube's JCM800 knockoff and it was basically making Electric Wizard sounds all on its own.
The picture is underselling the color a bit, it's an opaque gloss finish and vividly butter yellow. Tacky but I like it.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Anime Reference posted:

And here it is, it came sooner than I expected:

Plays great, no noticeable intonation problems from the bridge, and it sounds extremely rude. The neck pickup is insane, I was playing through Amplitube's JCM800 knockoff and it was basically making Electric Wizard sounds all on its own.
The picture is underselling the color a bit, it's an opaque gloss finish and vividly butter yellow. Tacky but I like it.
That's dope. I love the vibe of a Melody Maker, a Junior, and a Special all smashed together.

My silly MJT+Musikraft project I started back in May is finally done: the Friendo Telecopy, for which the base concept was "1965 Tele with a rosewood neck and a few quality-of-life upgrades"

Here's the modernizations:
- Schaller strap locks
- Gotoh locking tuners
- Glendale compensated saddles
- DiMarzio Area T noiseless pickups
- Stainless 6105 fret wire

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh god IT'S SO PRETTY! I love that color scheme :swoon:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

That Agile is cool. I like their rounder/less-pointy "horn" versus the original design.

That Tele is just perfect.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I don't think I've ever seen a rosewood neck before. Does it have a separate fingerboard or is it all one piece?

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
The fretboard is a separate piece. In this case, it's a curved veneer instead of a straight cut slab, simply because that's the way rosewood fretboards were made in 1965. It's a fairly meaningless detail that you have to look extremely closely at the heel to even notice, but I'm a big ol' nerd so I had it done that way. Basically, aside from the shaft wood and a few quality of life concessions, it has very authentic 1965 specs.

My St. Vincent also has a rosewood neck. They're extremely dope. Also, you can leave rosewood unfinished, which I did, so that feels amazing.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
How's the weight compared to more traditional neck materials?

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Well, mathing it out, it should make a difference of about 3 or 4 oz on a guitar neck versus rock maple. Both of my rosewood-necked guitars are a tad neck heavy, but only because the bodies are stupid light. This tele is only 6.93 lbs total - just a touch heavier than the average Gibson SG, which is ridiculous for a telecaster.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
That's a beautiful tele, congrats. For some reason I pretty much always love these stickin it to the man type copies or homage guitars, and this one is especially cool.

Also, your tele is the first tele I've seen with a rosewood fretboard I've liked! Neat!

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
https://reverb.com/item/6050887-ethan-hart-eh-1-bk-black-with-case
Picked up one of these guitars for cheap. It's a bit tacky looks wise, but I am very impressed with the feel and sound of it. Apparently tons of these are sitting in a warehouse somewhere because the guitar line never launched or something.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Just picked up a TC Electronic Sub'n'Up octave pedal at Rudy's Music, NYC:

(stock photo)

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Recently received this as a gift from my uncle. He said he bought it at a flea market in Juarez for $30 about 20 years ago. It had a busted tuning peg and steel strings when I got it, so it sounded like garbage. $10 fixed both of those problems, and now it sounds pretty good, especially for the price. I am hardly a classical guitar player, but I'm having a blast playing the same bossa nova rhythm a thousand times.

The sticker inside says it was made in Paracho, Michoacan, but apparently a lot of these super cheap "Mexican" guitars are actually made in China, so who knows.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Lester Shy posted:

Recently received this as a gift from my uncle. He said he bought it at a flea market in Juarez for $30 about 20 years ago. It had a busted tuning peg and steel strings when I got it, so it sounded like garbage. $10 fixed both of those problems, and now it sounds pretty good, especially for the price. I am hardly a classical guitar player, but I'm having a blast playing the same bossa nova rhythm a thousand times.

The sticker inside says it was made in Paracho, Michoacan, but apparently a lot of these super cheap "Mexican" guitars are actually made in China, so who knows.
If you can find a Tres Pïnos, you've got it made.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

betterinsodapop posted:

Just picked up a TC Electronic Sub'n'Up octave pedal at Rudy's Music, NYC:

(stock photo)

I've been in the market for a good octave pedal, except I'd be using the octave up. What are your thoughts?

praxis
Aug 1, 2003

Just got this Breedlove Stage Concert to replace a Taylor 714CE I had to sell a couple of years back. Pretty decent replacement for a few thousand less.

Nebraska Tim
Feb 2, 2010
Holy poo poo I never knew I needed this. :stare: Please detail how you prepared the neck before putting it all together. Did you paint the head yourself? How were the frets when you first received it? Anything to know ahead of time before ordering from MusiKraft?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Noise Machine posted:

I've been in the market for a good octave pedal, except I'd be using the octave up. What are your thoughts?
I'm liking it so far. It's a pretty flexible pedal. You can put it in polyphonic mode, and it will track notes (and even chords) nearly perfectly. Alternatively, in "classic" mode, it's more monophonic and glitchy. It's cheaper than any variety of EHX POG by about $70, and its controls are simple and effective. I like it.