Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Force of Nature is amazing because of how unintentionally perfect it is as a climate change allegory.

Technology is causing a problem that is going to kill us all, and the half-assed try at a solution is ignored all the time and eventually abandoned entirely because it's no fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

Force of Nature is amazing because of how unintentionally perfect it is as a climate change allegory.

It wasn't unintentional, it was beating you over the head with that point. The writers knew global warming was a thing.

Back then, we all called it global warming. I kind of miss that description, it sounds a shitload scarier than "climate change"

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.

WampaLord posted:

It wasn't unintentional, it was beating you over the head with that point. The writers knew global warming was a thing.

Back then, we all called it global warming. I kind of miss that description, it sounds a shitload scarier than "climate change"

Pretty sure the OP was referring to how it was unintentionally meta in that the show, like so many idiots in the world today, decided to just ignore it after it was made a big deal.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

CaveGrinch posted:

Pretty sure the OP was referring to how it was unintentionally meta in that the show, like so many idiots in the world today, decided to just ignore it after it was made a big deal.

Yep

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

CaveGrinch posted:

Nevermind, I figured out what he meant. Yes, agreed.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Watching Emissary for the benefit of the Greatest Generation DS9 run (obviously should be referred to as The Greatest Gener-station), and it occurred to me that Sisko is a pretty terrible dad in it. At the start he says he's considering leaving because DS9 isn't a good place to raise a child. He's then proven correct when the Promenade almost completely explodes towards the end of the episode. Then Sisko finds Jake just wandering among the wreckage, suggesting that he could have easily been caught in the explosions. Sisko's response to this is to enthusiastically affirm that he wants to stay at DS9 after all.

Comrade Fakename fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Oct 22, 2017

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

Comrade Fakename posted:

Sisko' response to this is to enthusiastically affirm that he wants to stay at DS9 after all.

Wooden Bajoran spaceships aren't going to build themselves.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Georgia Peach posted:

Man's got fairy tales to save.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

dont even fink about it posted:

Most of the "infamously" bad Star Trek episodes are actually not that bad compared to the really loving boring ones, like stuff involving Picard's love life or Kirk spilling ham all over the Declaration of Independence.

This.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Comrade Fakename posted:

Watching Emissary for the benefit of the Greatest Generation DS9 run (obviously should be referred to as The Greatest Gener-station), and it occurred to me that Siskin is a pretty terrible dad in it. At the start he says he's considering leaving because DS9 isn't a good place to raise a child. He's then proven correct when the Promenade almost completely explodes towards the end of the episode. Then Sisko finds Jake just wandering among the wreckage, suggesting that he could have easily been caught in the explosions. Sisko' response to this is to enthusiastically affirm that he wants to stay at DS9 after all.
A few explosions at close proximity builds character. Also PTSD.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Zonko_T.M. posted:

Any other S P O O K Y Star Trek episodes I should queue up? There's Catspaw (it's really boring though) and Sub Rosa (A G-G-G-GHOST!?).

Identity Crisis

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Now I’m picturing him doing the chef voice from The Little Mermaid.

That was Odo.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Georgia Peach posted:

And don't forget the clocks!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Beachcomber posted:

Identity Crisis

Man, that episode creeped me right the gently caress out when I was a kid. The reveal of that nebulous gray blob was just like "WHAT? THAT'S IT??" but in a good way, like "holy poo poo even the computer can't make sense of this insanity", good stuff.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Stuff like gruesome violence and people swearing feels so weird and out of place in Star Trek. Which isn't to say it doesn't happen. There's that TNG episode "Conspiracy" which has a gigantic WTF moment you all know about. Before Discovery was out, the instant I heard they were like "well, this Star Trek is going to be darker and it'll have gore and f-bombs!" I was like "uh oh."

When people do swear in Star Trek, it's usually played for laughs because nobody swears in Star Trek. I'm one of those guys whose favorite movie is The Voyage Home and not the Wrath of Khan or Undiscovered Country (but they're up there.) I also remember being a kid and seeing Data go "Ohhhh poo poo!" had me laughing my rear end off because I didn't expect it. In retrospect I'm not sure if that was supposed to be funny or not, because Data was the comic relief of the movie, but the Enterprise was crashing after all...

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Gammatron 64 posted:

Stuff like gruesome violence and people swearing feels so weird and out of place in Star Trek. Which isn't to say it doesn't happen. There's that TNG episode "Conspiracy" which has a gigantic WTF moment you all know about. Before Discovery was out, the instant I heard they were like "well, this Star Trek is going to be darker and it'll have gore and f-bombs!" I was like "uh oh."

When people do swear in Star Trek, it's usually played for laughs because nobody swears in Star Trek. I'm one of those guys whose favorite movie is The Voyage Home and not the Wrath of Khan or Undiscovered Country (but they're up there.) I also remember being a kid and seeing Data go "Ohhhh poo poo!" had me laughing my rear end off because I didn't expect it. In retrospect I'm not sure if that was supposed to be funny or not, because Data was the comic relief of the movie, but the Enterprise was crashing after all...

It's certainly not uncommon to have moments of character-based humor during tense action sequences. See Bones' quips while they're loading the torpedo tube in WoK for instance.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Zonko_T.M. posted:

Any other S P O O K Y Star Trek episodes I should queue up? There's Catspaw (it's really boring though) and Sub Rosa (A G-G-G-GHOST!?).

Voyager's The Thaw has Michael McKean as an evil clown.

DS9's Empok Nor is like a slasher film.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

MillennialVulcan posted:

Voyager's The Thaw has Michael McKean as an evil clown.

Man that episode is underrated.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Beware SISKIN

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Greatest Gen is a very bad podcast, even on the occasion they have something interesting to say. They need to cut like 80% of the show.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

What this post presupposes is... It's actually good?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Arglebargle III posted:

Greatest Gen is a very bad podcast, even on the occasion they have something interesting to say. They need to cut like 80% of the show.
The worst post

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Did we just get…Schismed?

Adam did say he thought "The Offspring" was one of the worst episodes of season 3, though.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm having trouble with these greatest generation guys. They keep doing this nerd inhaling-laugh thing uehhuhhh hehhh uhheehhh and then he hehhhh uhheehhh uheh uheh went ehhhh uhh heehhhhhhh to ds9 hehhhh haaaa *snort*

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

CPColin posted:

Adam did say he thought "The Offspring" was one of the worst episodes of season 3, though.
Yeah, and he’s wrong

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Baronjutter posted:

I'm having trouble with these greatest generation guys. They keep doing this nerd inhaling-laugh thing uehhuhhh hehhh uhheehhh and then he hehhhh uhheehhh uheh uheh went ehhhh uhh heehhhhhhh to ds9 hehhhh haaaa *snort*

I'm already used to that because I imagine those noises in every SA post I read.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
morn is the best character in all of star trek, no arguments

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

PenguinKnight posted:

I finished my first watch-through of TNG last night. The series finale was pretty good and I legit got teary-eyed at the last scene. Gonna watch the premier of DS9 tonight!

Are you Levar Burton?

https://twitter.com/levarburton/status/920743663885414400

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Data Graham posted:

It's certainly not uncommon to have moments of character-based humor during tense action sequences. See Bones' quips while they're loading the torpedo tube in WoK for instance.

Unless there's a deleted scene in WoK where Bones is making fun of dead Spock over Scotty's bagpipe playing, I think you mean Undiscovered Country where they're modifying the torpedo with gaseous anomaly (fart) sensors.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Kanine posted:

morn is the best character in all of star trek, no augments

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Binary Badger posted:

Unless there's a deleted scene in WoK where Bones is making fun of dead Spock over Scotty's bagpipe playing, I think you mean Undiscovered Country where they're modifying the torpedo with gaseous anomaly (fart) sensors.

"Who the hell goes into a radiation-filled chamber wearing only protective gloves, anyway?"

"Not now, Bones."

"Where's the damned logic in that?"

"Bones."

"Did he even need to go in there? I thought Scotty said the Radiation Room had remote manipulator arms."

"Bones."

"Why do we even have a Radiation Room?"

"Bones!"

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Look, I love Morn as much as the next fan, but I do wish he'd shut up every now and then.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Morn to be wiiiiild~

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Remember when worf violently assaulted morn to try to impress a klingon lady?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Morn is better-written than any major regular character on ENT.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Gammatron 64 posted:

I'm certain "ohhhhhhh poo poo" was intended as comedy.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Aww, Levar, you big softie.

https://twitter.com/levarburton/status/920902559665070080

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I'm certain "ohhhhhhh poo poo" was intended as comedy.

Data dropping an "ohhhhhhhhh poo poo" was the highlight of that movie and probably the only upside to the Emotion Chip subplot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
When I was a kid, I referred to "poo poo" as "the Data word" because that was one of the first times I'd ever heard it :shobon: