Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Mr. Fix It posted:

Yeah, that seems to be difference:

Two-year-old article, as anthonypants noted, so the model number info might be out of date. Better to check the specs directly.
Like the article says, the Z models are the 5400 rpm disks, and the X models are the 7200 rpm disks. That hasn't changed. And since it's two years old, if you've purchased a 5400 rpm Blue in the past two years (which is any of the 2-6GB models), you've owned one of these repackaged Greens. Which are fine for normal use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

wingding welcome screen lookin good.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Looks like everything is working ngrmadly.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
The COO has asked us to report on the industry best practices for "evaluating the fitness of backup tapes." When presented with evidence that no such best practice exists, he insulted my team and demanded a "more competently done" report. He also clarified that he wants to know the industry best practices for evaluating the fitness of individual backup tapes.

You throw them away when they start having too many errors, you loving lunatic. They cost like twenty bucks.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Fortis posted:

The COO has asked us to report on the industry best practices for "evaluating the fitness of backup tapes." When presented with evidence that no such best practice exists, he insulted my team and demanded a "more competently done" report. He also clarified that he wants to know the industry best practices for evaluating the fitness of individual backup tapes.

You throw them away when they start having too many errors, you loving lunatic. They cost like twenty bucks.

That's 20 bucks too much, don't you know?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Compare the price of buying a few tapes per year to the amount of money spent on man-hours researching and writing the report.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Staff at my organization are constantly vying to be at the end of the tech support line. They know I'm busy and are so loving cool and laid back about it, nearly 80% of requests come in with a note of "This is absolutely not important please don't interrupt anything you're doing, we're cool if you want to address this in a week or two whenever you have time."

I had to struggle when I first started to get people to tell me that stuff was broken, because they were so worried about burdening IT with low-priority problems.

It's not a 'cool' or 'hip' environment for sure (government) but this is by far the best staff I've ever worked with.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Fortis posted:

Give him the same evidence, but every sentence a bullet point. Include pie charts and line graphs (make sure you put at least three lines on the latter), doesn't matter what they're graphing.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I wonder if it's because your predecessor was a demon who threw a fit about being interrupted from playing Halo at work, or if he was incompetent and you've fixed problems that were previously declared to be unfixable and they consider you to be some sort of fixit wizard who must be appeased with volcano sacrifice.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I wonder if it's because your predecessor was a demon who threw a fit about being interrupted from playing Halo at work, or if he was incompetent and you've fixed problems that were previously declared to be unfixable and they consider you to be some sort of fixit wizard who must be appeased with volcano sacrifice.

100% of both. He was extremely incompetent and hired a very bad MSP, and together they built a hissy-fit wall that nobody wanted to approach. Easy poo poo would take months to resolve, and when people made a second request he would go off about how insanely busy he was and had so much on his plate and was overwhelmed, guilting them into not making a third request. The MSP would declare easily fixable stuff to be unfixable, or would provide some poo poo-rear end solution that handcuffed their own options of expansion.

The last guy taught staff to be weary of making IT requests because it's alllll just soooo unmanageable booohoooo. My boss made specific mention on my yearly review that I quickly resolved requests and projects that had been open for literal years, within the first few months of starting.

e; the 40 year old guy before him played WOW all day every day at work and was run out by the horde of unhappy staff when the infrastructure fell apart. Last I saw on linkedIn he's a support tech in another state. My predecessor quit IT altogether. To staff, I'm a wizard.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Fortis posted:

Industry best practices guide from Doofenschmitz Et. Al. suggests that a tape should be immediately retired as soon as the number of read or write errors on any given tape is large enough to fault the backup job. At this point, the tape should be moved to the retired media collection in your media management system, and decommissioned to be used as door stops, desk level risers, or taken apart to be used as festive ribbons for IT events. At no point is the cost of certifying the fitness of an individual tape worth the risk of a failed restore job, or the time lost by an IT employee in validating a tape.

Methylethylaldehyde fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Oct 19, 2017

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Mr. Fix It posted:

Yeah, that seems to be difference:

Two-year-old article, as anthonypants noted, so the model number info might be out of date. Better to check the specs directly.

Not by much. I have a 1Tb Blue from last year, and it's model number is WD10EZEX-00WN4A0.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Judge Schnoopy posted:

100% of both. He was extremely incompetent and hired a very bad MSP, and together they built a hissy-fit wall that nobody wanted to approach. Easy poo poo would take months to resolve, and when people made a second request he would go off about how insanely busy he was and had so much on his plate and was overwhelmed, guilting them into not making a third request. The MSP would declare easily fixable stuff to be unfixable, or would provide some poo poo-rear end solution that handcuffed their own options of expansion.

The last guy taught staff to be weary of making IT requests because it's alllll just soooo unmanageable booohoooo. My boss made specific mention on my yearly review that I quickly resolved requests and projects that had been open for literal years, within the first few months of starting.

e; the 40 year old guy before him played WOW all day every day at work and was run out by the horde of unhappy staff when the infrastructure fell apart. Last I saw on linkedIn he's a support tech in another state. My predecessor quit IT altogether. To staff, I'm a wizard.

I want to be these people but read a book instead of play games. Anyone want a soft working goon employee???

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I want to be these people but read a book instead of play games. Anyone want a soft working goon employee???

I read The Phoenix Project first, and learned how to clear my work queue to improve efficiency. Now I get everything done AND I have time to read whatever I want at work. You CAN have it all!

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I read The Phoenix Project first, and learned how to clear my work queue to improve efficiency. Now I get everything done AND I have time to read whatever I want at work. You CAN have it all!

clear your work queue, aka just close tickets you don't like, got it. :)

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Staff at my organization are constantly vying to be at the end of the tech support line. They know I'm busy and are so loving cool and laid back about it, nearly 80% of requests come in with a note of "This is absolutely not important please don't interrupt anything you're doing, we're cool if you want to address this in a week or two whenever you have time."

I had to struggle when I first started to get people to tell me that stuff was broken, because they were so worried about burdening IT with low-priority problems.

It's not a 'cool' or 'hip' environment for sure (government) but this is by far the best staff I've ever worked with.

I'm a server. One of my biggest pet peeves is people complaining about drinks being low when I'm running around like mad.

I'd love to have customers regularly who were "When you have a moment" when I'm running around because I'm the only server and the place is packed.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

iospace posted:

I'm a server. One of my biggest pet peeves is people complaining about drinks being low when I'm running around like mad.

I'd love to have customers regularly who were "When you have a moment" when I'm running around because I'm the only server and the place is packed.

The only person that matters in the world is me and I want everything now.

v-- Lol yeah, at first I was thinking it was going to be an amusing soliloquy from a servers point of view.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 19, 2017

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

iospace posted:

I'm a server.

This has a totally different context in this thread.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Judge Schnoopy posted:

i was confused for a moment

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

MF_James posted:

v-- Lol yeah, at first I was thinking it was going to be an amusing soliloquy from a servers point of view.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

MF_James posted:

clear your work queue, aka just close tickets you don't like, got it. :)

queue's so large this would be at least a day long project

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I do have 100% uptime! Haven't missed a day yet.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
HELLO
SMITHERS
YOU'RE
QUITE GOOD
AT
TURNING
ME ON

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

RFC2324 posted:

i was confused for a moment

Marvelous advances in AI and machine learning you see, now they talk back to you!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Not always, if you were a fan of the cartoon reBoot.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Samizdata posted:

The number of puns made the show.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Hot or not

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:barf:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

freeedr posted:

Hot or not

I keep seeing something new and interesting every time I look at it.

Why bother with Velcro when it look like that? Its used in no consistent way.
I love the cables that are coupled together. Quality stuff.
I am the dangling patch cable in the middle.
I like the phone with cables dangling over it.
The switch hanging vertically is a nice touch.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

freeedr posted:

Hot or not

This is what I'm used to, and I love cleaning it up.

YOU WILL BE SORTED, BUNDLED, ROUTED, AND LABELED! :hai:

mewse
May 2, 2006

freeedr posted:

Hot or not

Oh for real homie

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

freeedr posted:

Hot or knot

Fixed that for you.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

freeedr posted:

Hot or not

Not, at first, but hot when the fire happens.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

18 Character Limit posted:

The number of puns made the show.

Yup. Like the frequently seen downtown billboard for "Merrimac Monitors".

EDIT: loving homophones!

Samizdata fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Oct 20, 2017

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Dick Trauma posted:

This is what I'm used to, and I love cleaning it up.

YOU WILL BE SORTED, BUNDLED, ROUTED, AND LABELED! :hai:

Go on...

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Samizdata posted:

After the devastation the first time they lost a game, I imagined what a gaming rig must be like, the bombed out remnants of civilization, with listless shambling corpses that wish they could finally die, as game after game falls from the sky.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

After the devastation the first time they lost a game, I imagined what a gaming rig must be like, the bombed out remnants of civilization, with listless shambling corpses that wish they could finally die, as game after game falls from the sky.

Yeah, that happens in the series to some places.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

18 Character Limit posted:

Yeah, that happens in the series to some places.

I need to get the DVDs and watch that again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005

freeedr posted:

Hot or not

Looks much like the "network closet" at the store we just acquired.

• Locked thread