Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

Definitely prioritize getting the Gigas Armlet from one of the FF2 events. It gives moderate resistance to fire, ice, and lightning while giving weakness to water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Renewal has been fun so far but I imagine they're a hell of a slog if you haven't done a load of them already. Even the ones I haven't finished I've at least done all the trash stages.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I would be really surprised if they never did this again. If you're a new player with low stamina don't sweat it too much, but it is definitely the best way to spend your stamina right now.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

FruitPunchSamurai posted:

Definitely prioritize getting the Gigas Armlet from one of the FF2 events. It gives moderate resistance to fire, ice, and lightning while giving weakness to water.

I'm making this my goal but I just got my rear end kicked by the 4 chimeras in the ++ dungeon. I brought Cloud's USB as RW thinking I could knock two of them right away, but that didnt work too well. May need to RW someone's SG.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Mischalaniouse posted:

As a brand new player (just started a month ago) all the stuff to do is overwhelming and I don't know if I'm going to have enough time or gumption to finish it all. It's nice to have all this stuff available, but I'd liked it more if it was spread out over a month so I didn't have to think about it all at the same time.

Kanos posted:

They really needed to spread this stuff out over like a month instead of dumping it all one day after another with the same end date. There's a ton of FF8, 9, 10, 12, and 13 events that are going to landslide in, too. We'll probably have over twice as many active renewal events as there are now by the time they're done making GBS threads them out.

The renewals started 7 days ago, so on the 12th. They end on the 5th. That's only a week short of what you're asking.

The thing to consider, though, is that the better portion of the mythril is front-loaded, stamina-wise. As was stated earlier in the thread, the older elites only typically had 3 mythril across 7 stages, and bonus battles never give mythril (though they give other goodies, like accessories/5* orbs/eggs/MC2s). They're also the most stamina-intensive stages; bonus battles alone consistently ask 162 stamina per event by the new system (40 for +, 20 for ++, 40 for +++, 60 for Ult, 1 for Ult+/++/A+ - and older events will take more due to having + level boss rushes with more than two stages).

I'd say if you're doing this for mythril, you can probably cut off the back ~40% of the stamina you'd need to burn through by skipping the bonus battles.

If you're doing this for free skills/orbs/accessories, on the other hand, it might take a bit of planning beforehand.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Oct 19, 2017

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Well, new players will also want at least a handful of accessories from the bonus battles. The Gigas Armlet has already been mentioned but having elemental resists, status resists, and some +30 atk/mag/mnd accessories are a great boon. Mythril is still the utmost top priority since relics are the biggest power boost but I'd definitely go for accessories if you can.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

After seeing the big dump of events from FFVII, my gameplan is definitely just clear all the mythril stages for now and come back for bonus battles a la carte.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
I should pick and choose... but crystals! I can't resist em

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Is FF7's 10(!) banners the most we're gonna see? Half the stress for me as a newbie is not knowing how many more are coming up down the line.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Bruceski posted:

Is FF7's 10(!) banners the most we're gonna see? Half the stress for me as a newbie is not knowing how many more are coming up down the line.

FF9 is going to have a shitload too, if not as much, very close to it

There's no getting around it, you're going to have to spend mythril on stamina refreshes if you want to maximize your returns. I recommend building an auto-attack team with AOE attack replacer record materia and doing everything easy on autopilot, it will speed up clear time substantially. The easiest ones to get come from the RM2s of Leo, Orlandeau, Bard, Yda, Black Mage, Emperor, Rubicante, Cloud of Darkness and Marach

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Oct 19, 2017

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
Worst part of renewals so far:
I have murdered Rydia's mom so many times!

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
Been doing nothing but Renewals and am halfway through FFVII. Just passed 300 mithril after blowing everything I previously had on the 30th anniversary banners. This seems insane. I hope there's some really good relic pulls coming up to blow all this on.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
There's gonna be a bunch. Ramza's Shout 2.0, OK USBs, etc

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
I have every Agrias SB so far and I really really want her USB so when the Marche/Montblanc event comes around I plan to blow every single mythril I get from this on that banner when it comes up.

Might be on the same banner as Ramza's BSB2, which, hell yes. I wouldn't be surprised if these got shuffled around though, the banner 2 in that event is not nearly as attractive compared to what banner 1 had on JP

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Oct 19, 2017

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Books On Tape posted:

Been doing nothing but Renewals and am halfway through FFVII. Just passed 300 mithril after blowing everything I previously had on the 30th anniversary banners. This seems insane. I hope there's some really good relic pulls coming up to blow all this on.

I pulled on the FFV banner (favorite FF, got a couple of BSBs for Bartz to go with his chicken knife, no clue if they're actually useful ones), and then done some pulls on the XV one that gave me some stuff for Aranea whenever I decide to put effort into her. And I still have a bunch of mythril. It's great, I just gotta cultivate some hoarding instincts to save for later banners.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Mirthless posted:

I have every Agrias SB so far and I really really want her USB so when the Marche/Montblanc event comes around I plan to blow every single mythril I get from this on that banner when it comes up.

Might be on the same banner as Ramza's BSB2, which, hell yes. I wouldn't be surprised if these got shuffled around though, the banner 2 in that event is not nearly as attractive compared to what banner 1 had on JP

The relics on event banners have never gotten shuffled around, so there's no reason to think these will be. Only Fest banners get reorganized.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Schwartzcough posted:

The relics on event banners have never gotten shuffled around, so there's no reason to think these will be. Only Fest banners get reorganized.

yesssssss

gonna spend a lot on that banner when it's up

Bruceski posted:

I pulled on the FFV banner (favorite FF, got a couple of BSBs for Bartz to go with his chicken knife, no clue if they're actually useful ones), and then done some pulls on the XV one that gave me some stuff for Aranea whenever I decide to put effort into her. And I still have a bunch of mythril. It's great, I just gotta cultivate some hoarding instincts to save for later banners.

If you don't have a platinum sword for Ramza save your mythril for the next Tactics event because you are going to want his BSB2.

The shout buff is pretty much mandatory for melee teams on late game content and you should definitely not try to roll for the platinum sword if there's a much better version about to drop

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Oct 19, 2017

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

GOD

DAMMIT

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Mithross posted:

Worst part of renewals so far:
I have murdered Rydia's mom so many times!

The punishment is having to deal with Rubicant and Geryon repeatedly. FF4 has some really annoying bosses.

Also clearing some old Ultimate/Apoc fights I forgot or couldn't do or whatever and lmao one of those old Chadarnook fights is such a pain in the rear end with status effects and total physical immunity in demon form.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

This probably isn't farmable considering this kill included a dualcast Water Blink by Edge at the very start followed by 6 of 8 Raging Waters being dualcast as well.

But it still feels awesome! First sub-30 :toot:

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

And I still can't even get a single kill, let alone be even thinking about sub-30's.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Nailed it. Aphmau's USB was the key.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Something tells me Ultimate Fated Circle actually doesn’t hit hard enough.

No wonder I waited until the end, that is a frightening attack.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

What do I pick for my second gem thing, Water, Wind, and Ice are my weakest elements, already have BSBs for Edea, Ayame, Rikku, and Zidane for those elements. My Fire and Lightning teams can clear their magicite dungeons but I haven't been able to do any others

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Mirthless posted:

If you don't have a platinum sword for Ramza save your mythril for the next Tactics event because you are going to want his BSB2.

The shout buff is pretty much mandatory for melee teams on late game content and you should definitely not try to roll for the platinum sword if there's a much better version about to drop

You mean that's NOT an automatic gimme on your first tutorial relic draw? Guess I got lucky then.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Bruceski posted:

You mean that's NOT an automatic gimme on your first tutorial relic draw? Guess I got lucky then.

hahaha, wow :shepface:

i got a Blitz Sword when I started, a 5 star FF8 weapon without a soulbreak

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Jose Valasquez posted:

What do I pick for my second gem thing, Water, Wind, and Ice are my weakest elements, already have BSBs for Edea, Ayame, Rikku, and Zidane for those elements. My Fire and Lightning teams can clear their magicite dungeons but I haven't been able to do any others
if you have Edea and Ayame then Ice is not one of your weakest elements

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Jose Valasquez posted:

How do you have Edea BSB and Ayame BSB and consider ice one of your weak elements?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

With how much Mythril I'm getting decided to pull on XV banner, twice.

1/11 both times what the hell?

I mean I got Prompto and Arenea's burst, but it feels like I haven't gotten a big one in a long time.

Anyways who's better for Lightning DPS Prompto or Arenea?

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

KPC_Mammon posted:

How do you have Edea BSB and Ayame BSB and consider ice one of your weak elements?

Because really Edea's is the only one that is worth anything for magicite and I still can't beat it :smith:

I'm pretty much stacked at Fire, Lightning and Earth although I can't beat the Earth magicite either.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

there isn't any ice burst you can choose that would be an improvement over Edea and Ayame.

For what it's worth, I clear Fenrir with just 1 DPS and it used to be Edea with BSB

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Jose Valasquez posted:

Because really Edea's is the only one that is worth anything for magicite and I still can't beat it :smith:

I'm pretty much stacked at Fire, Lightning and Earth although I can't beat the Earth magicite either.

The best relic for improving ice will be Lulu's BSB equipped on Edea for the bonus ice damage but you shouldn't d need it.

What is your setup for Fenrir? Do you have enough sources of +mag to get 6 hits with Edea?

Most ice BSBs are worse than 5* chain ice in that fight. How are your hones?

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

I've tried a few different setups, my main setup is
Rikku USB
OK Entrust
Edea BSB, with her CMD2 I do get 6 hits on CMD1
Rosa SSB
Vanille BSB

I've tried switching out characters for different things but that's the best I've come up with.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Jose Valasquez posted:

Rikku USB
OK Entrust
Rosa SSB
Vanille BSB

I've tried switching out characters for different things but that's the best I've come up with.

Do you have Raines BSB? I'd get another source of +mag in there. He does respectable damage with chain-gas after using his bsb entry and the +def lowers incoming damage.

Have him replace OK, you don't need entrust when you are going with BSBs and hones.

Alternatively have him replace Rikku and use OK BSB. Is she doing anything useful after using her USB?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Jose Valasquez posted:

Rikku USB
OK Entrust
Rosa SSB
Vanille BSB

Do you have another hastega/faithga besides Rikku? Because you've got too much dead weight. Two dedicated healers is probably too much, and Rikku can't really contribute much after she casts her USB. Keep in mind, you don't even need Shellga for this fight since the only magic is the piercing AoE. I think if you had someone else actually pitching in damage you could probably get there.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

So does this new event format remove 2 Mythril from our usual rewards or what?

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
So this is a permanent new event format then?

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Alxprit posted:

The leftover Mythril should be coming with the returning FFII stages from the last event, so same total.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Alxprit posted:

We get the rest of the mythril during phase 2.

Edit: Wow, ninja'd twice in one page. I should take a break from posting, you guys have it covered! :3:

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Oct 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
I did beat Squall before the deadline, that was one of the worst fights in a long time :v:

Then I joined an MP team and we beat the FFVII-FFXIII heroes silly. They did not stand a chance against our might!

• Locked thread