Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
Lease the horses out to crew sail pleasure craft you charter for tourists. You can't go wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Lowness 72 posted:

45 THOUSAND DOLLARS? Hoooooooly poo poo. How big is that diamond??

The sad part is that the $45k diamond is probably all of 1 or 2 mm in diameter larger than a $5k diamond.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

therobit posted:

These people need divorces from their horses.

Divhorses, one might say.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
If you thought horse weddings were BWM, just wait til you see horse divorces.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.
I assume everyone saw the Letterman Conan horse thing this last week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxG14lbL2Iw

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
i was never a huge fan of the horse meme itt

it's mostly funny, but that $45k engagement ring story, for example, is much more my kind of poo poo. too bad it was removed for being too much of a legal question.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Inescapable Duck posted:

Go right to the source and divorce the horse.

Zo posted:

i was never a huge fan of the horse meme itt

it's mostly funny, but that $45k engagement ring story, for example, is much more my kind of poo poo. too bad it was removed for being too much of a legal question.

I know it's a legal question, but I think it's usually pretty open and shut right? An engagement ring is considered a conditional gift, so if the wedding doesn't go through they have to return it.

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Oct 19, 2017

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Solice Kirsk posted:

I know it's a legal question, but I think it's usually pretty open and shut right? An engagement ring is considered a conditional gift, so if the wedding doesn't go through they have to return it.

I believe I saw a case that had that outcome recently. He might have to take action against her but with precedent I guess he'd get it back.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
like most legal questions in america, it's a state based thing

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I doubt there's a state in the union that would allow someone to be proposed to, take the ring, and not go through with the marriage.
"No, I will not marry you. But thanks for the ring, it looks beautiful! 6 months salary, huh? Wow!"

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

The really sad thing is that even if he gets it back there is no way he gets 45k for it, so he's hosed on the money anyway.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Nocheez posted:

I doubt there's a state in the union that would allow someone to be proposed to, take the ring, and not go through with the marriage.
"No, I will not marry you. But thanks for the ring, it looks beautiful! 6 months salary, huh? Wow!"

and making assumptions like that, makes you a dumbass

for example:

quote:

Most western states follow the no-fault, conditional gift approach and award the engagement ring to the giver in a broken engagement. There are still a few states, like Montana, that classify the engagement ring as an unconditional gift and award the ring to the receiver in broken engagements.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Depends on the circumstances. If it's a mutual decision or if she broke it off I think he gets it back. If she caught him with a stripper named Crystal in the champagne room then it's all her's.

Online, a $45k ring is like 4 carats. Which is loving huge.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Nocheez posted:

There's a ton of weird case law surrounding it. In some states if you gave the ring on christmas day, a birthday or valentines day it can be considered a simple gift and you don't get it back. Some states it depends on who broke off the engagement, and in some it's a straight up conditional gift and if you don't get married you give it back.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Inescapable Duck posted:

:horse: + :sever: = ??

:iiam:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
If you're going to spend $45k for something that statistically has a 55-50% chance of failing, you better be rich enough to wipe you rear end with $100 bills.

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

If you're going to spend $45k for something that statistically has a 55-50% chance of failing, you better be rich enough to wipe you rear end with $100 bills.

I don't know horse numbers but I feel like this exact statement is ambiguous between horsechat and ringchat

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Youth Decay posted:

OP is broke, asks about debt consolidation, still HAS A HORSE

Yeah somehow I doubt she is spending $0 on that pony. It's a horse, it'll see an ant and rack up a $10,000 vet bill.

She's not footing the bills for the pony; that's the point of the lease: the owner retains ownership while the person leasing the horse pays for its care in exchange for getting to ride and care for the horse (without committing to permanent ownership)

Horse leases (and horses in general) aren't as insane as people in this thread make them out to be.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

So its like all the expensive poo poo of owning a house with none of that pesky "ownership" stuff?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
took out a 2nd mortgage to buy my fiancee a horse-shaped diamond ring and a diamond ring-shaped horse

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

CharlestonJew posted:

took out a 2nd mortgage to buy my fiancee a horse-shaped diamond ring and a diamond ring-shaped horse

And the third mortgage is for bitcoin

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

So its like all the expensive poo poo of owning a house with none of that pesky "ownership" stuff?

I'm assuming you meant 'horse'.

And I suspect the main upside to a horse lease is that you can unilaterally end your financial commitment to the horse without needing a large caliber pistol and a backhoe.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Most $45k ring stores will take the ring back if the girl says neigh.

Edit: Burying a horse is BWM, the rendering plant gives you cash for the carcass.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

This reminds me: I used to work as an underwriter at an insurance wholesaler. One of our companies was CHUBB personal lines and the target market was accounts with million + $ homes. Anyway, we had an agent send over an endorsement to ad an engagement ring to the jewelry schedule, valued at $80,000. Kinda nuts in and of itself, but ok.

Like 2 weeks later the agent comes back and has us remove the $80,000 ring... and replace it with a different ring valued at $120,000. Which to me basically meant the future bride had rejected that piece of poo poo 80k ring and said nah, you're gonna have to pay for this. So, gwm on her part I guess, but... goddamn.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Elephanthead posted:

Most $45k ring stores will take the ring back if the girl says neigh.

Edit: Burying a horse is BWM, the rendering plant gives you cash for the carcass.
Doesn't sound like she said no though, sounds like she had said yes and now they've broken up. Not sure what would happen in that case, I imagine the store has some sort of time period where you can return it because the proposal failed?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

emocrat posted:

This reminds me: I used to work as an underwriter at an insurance wholesaler. One of our companies was CHUBB personal lines and the target market was accounts with million + $ homes. Anyway, we had an agent send over an endorsement to ad an engagement ring to the jewelry schedule, valued at $80,000. Kinda nuts in and of itself, but ok.

Like 2 weeks later the agent comes back and has us remove the $80,000 ring... and replace it with a different ring valued at $120,000. Which to me basically meant the future bride had rejected that piece of poo poo 80k ring and said nah, you're gonna have to pay for this. So, gwm on her part I guess, but... goddamn.

When I bought my engagement stone it was for $4k and came with a certificate saying it was worth $10k for insurance purposes. All that stuff is bullshit.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

For anyone who was interested in helping, the thread for the TGRS project brainstorm session is here

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

When I bought my engagement stone it was for $4k and came with a certificate saying it was worth $10k for insurance purposes. All that stuff is bullshit.

Sounds like you got a great deal!

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Sure would be a shame if it was lost or damaged.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Enfys posted:

She's not footing the bills for the pony; that's the point of the lease: the owner retains ownership while the person leasing the horse pays for its care in exchange for getting to ride and care for the horse (without committing to permanent ownership)

Horse leases (and horses in general) aren't as insane as people in this thread make them out to be.

I've just seen too many stories of people fighting over who has to pay $huge vet bill and bad contracts written up. And the lessee could get out of the agreement at any time and have her holding the lead rope. In that particular dire situation (jobless for the foreseeable future, on disability, high 5-figure credit card debt, no family assistance) where it sounds like she isn't and physically can't actually ride the pony herself it makes far more sense to sell it.

Horses aren't insane (I rode them for several years) but horse people sure are.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

BWM horse story.

My SIL got a job taking care of some horses part time. The couple that owns them has 3 horses, and bought a farm so they wouldn't have to board them. One of the horses hates a third one so they have to be in separate paddocks. They are thinking of getting a forth so the hated horse isn't alone.

E: the owners both work like 70hr a week at high paying jobs so I guess they can afford it but they aren't really interacting with the horses

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
My boss told me about a guy he knows who bought his wife a zebra as a present. She can't ride it and it can't be trained like a normal horse, but she does have to stable it and care for it like a horse.

I am sure they can afford it so it isn't exactly bad with money, but I was amazed to hear that there is an even deeper circle of horse-crazy.

Also they bought two donkies to be friends with the zebra.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Deadite posted:

My boss told me about a guy he knows who bought his wife a zebra as a present. She can't ride it and it can't be trained like a normal horse, but she does have to stable it and care for it like a horse.

I am sure they can afford it so it isn't exactly bad with money, but I was amazed to hear that there is an even deeper circle of horse-crazy.

Also they bought two donkies to be friends with the zebra.

So now she is basically obligated to own a wild zoo animal until it dies?

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

So now she is basically obligated to own a wild zoo animal until it dies?

I guess so. Really all you can do with it is drive out to the stables and look at it for a while before going home. Maybe you can pet it but I was told that it is a pretty mean zebra.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Deadite posted:

I guess so. Really all you can do with it is drive out to the stables and look at it for a while before going home. Maybe you can pet it but I was told that it is a pretty mean zebra.

All zebra are extremely mean and very dangerous, they bite and kick and their kicks are extremely dangerous. Keep in mind that these animals evolved to live on the Serengeti where lions are their most significant natural predator. Horses kick in a very genteel and civilized way with a slightly annoyed sweep of the leg, where zebras kick like an angry bull with both back legs and it is certainly strong enough to kill a human. I mean I guess there are captive born zebras that are fairly tame, relative to their wild counterparts, but keep in mind that all African civilizations as well as European settlers in Africa have long since completely given up on taming zebras despite really compelling reasons to do so. Interesting historical/geographic fact. Bad with money horses basically cannot exist in large swaths of central Africa in an area called the fly belt, due to animal trypanosomiasis, a deadly disease to horses carried by the tsetse fly. So it would've have been of extreme economic value to domesticate zebras, but it was never successfully done due to their temperament.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Oct 19, 2017

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3837987

GROUND FLOOR BABY

That is the thread where you offer helpful suggestions. This is the thread where you laugh at how stupid it is.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Goon project unregulated charity.

I can't even.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

potatoducks posted:

GROUND FLOOR BABY

That is the thread where you offer helpful suggestions. This is the thread where you laugh at how stupid it is.

I'm the guy who thinks they should register as 501(c) to handle $200 worth of donations.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

potatoducks posted:

GROUND FLOOR BABY

If I say "I need money" will they give me the $200?

That's like three and a half months of lights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

All zebra are extremely mean and very dangerous, they bite and kick and their kicks are extremely dangerous. Keep in mind that these animals evolved to live on the Serengeti where lions are their most significant natural predator. Horses kick in a very genteel and civilized way with a slightly annoyed sweep of the leg, where zebras kick like an angry bull with both back legs and it is certainly strong enough to kill a human. I mean I guess there are captive born zebras that are fairly tame, relative to their wild counterparts, but keep in mind that all African civilizations as well as European settlers in Africa have long since completely given up on taming zebras despite really compelling reasons to do so. Interesting historical/geographic fact. Bad with money horses basically cannot exist in large swaths of central Africa in an area called the fly belt, due to animal trypanosomiasis, a deadly disease to horses carried by the tsetse fly. So it would've have been of extreme economic value to domesticate zebras, but it was never successfully done due to their temperament.

Confirmed, zebras are complete jerks. You can wrangle individuals to pull a cart or something, but you'd probably have to go through a bunch of them finding the handful that are chill enough to accept any training. Plus, zebra are actually kind of small and don't have a natural physiology for riding, so you'd be limited in who could get on it or what it could pull anyway.

Basically if you want a smaller, more rugged horse we already have those, they are called donkeys and they are very chill and sweet. So just buy one of those and paint some stripes on it if you need to.