Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

So you can't sync Podcasts to the watch AFAIK so once you go out of range of your iPhone, you'll drop the podcast.
You used to be able to sync podcasts with Overcast to the watch but it was using a janky non-approved way and got dropped for watchOS 4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I'm trying out this app called WatchPlayer to see if it works for podcasts. I just got it and it's transferring to my watch right now. We'll see if it works.

Edit: well it works but I have no idea how to adjust the volume. Using earpods.

Haggins fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Oct 19, 2017

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Hi peeps, my AppleCare on my Series 0 watch expires in the new year, am I able to get a replacement under AppleCare for just cosmetic damage?

I feel like I ought to use my AppleCare so my watch looks okay again.

edit: the text on the back of the watch is disappearing, if that helps at all

Kailtor
Jun 7, 2005

fucking kailtor

Ask me about my lifetime subscription

:ughh: :ughh:
AppleCare is not really for that.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

so you're saying i should smash it against a wall if i want it replaced

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Please don't commit fraud.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Does Apple still cover 0 watches that are off warranty for battery issues?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
If the problem is an expanded/swollen battery, yes, they extended coverage for that to three years from purchase.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

If the problem is an expanded/swollen battery, yes, they extended coverage for that to three years from purchase.

Good to know. Maybe that’ll happen before next year and I could score a free series 1.

I just figured out the the Siri face will automatically show you if it’s going to rain soon. This is the greatest poo poo. I will never change faces for a long time.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Picked up a Space Black series 3 today.

Copying music to it so I can go on my first un-tethered work out. Takes an age over bluetooth, it seems.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Decided I'm going to get a refurb series 2 stainless steel from Apple as my first AW. Fell in love with the Milanese Loop. I heard you guys talking about a decent knock off version of it. Got a link? What is the difference between and the real deal?

gregday
May 23, 2003

I love my Milanese but every now and then it snags on an arm hair and that poo poo hurts.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Housh posted:

Decided I'm going to get a refurb series 2 stainless steel from Apple as my first AW. Fell in love with the Milanese Loop. I heard you guys talking about a decent knock off version of it. Got a link? What is the difference between and the real deal?

I'm wearing this with my SS S3 right now and its pretty drat good.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073QNR4D2

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Matt Zerella posted:

I'm wearing this with my SS S3 right now and its pretty drat good.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073QNR4D2
Ahh. Wish they shipped to Canada. I'll have to live with the black sports band until I can source a Milanese Loop. Really excited to get my first AW. Hopefully it will ship to me faster than the estimate. It's funny cause all my Apple stuff will be the 2016 "Make America Great Again" models. iPhone, MBP, and now AW.

I like how wearing the watch can unlock your laptop without using touchID. Really excited to see other small stuff like that.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Housh posted:

Ahh. Wish they shipped to Canada. I'll have to live with the black sports band until I can source a Milanese Loop. Really excited to get my first AW. Hopefully it will ship to me faster than the estimate. It's funny cause all my Apple stuff will be the 2016 "Make America Great Again" models. iPhone, MBP, and now AW.

I like how wearing the watch can unlock your laptop without using touchID. Really excited to see other small stuff like that.

Take a look on ebay. I believe the same manufacturer sells on there too.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Housh posted:

I wore my knockoff Milanese one night out, and decided that the sport loop was better. I ended up retightening the Milanese every 10 minutes because the magnet slips.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

That sucks. I might just roll with the sports band and grab the official Milanese next month. I just got notification my AW will be here Tuesday! :woop:

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
When it was brought up a couple months ago, people mentioned the Apple Milanese slipped, too.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

I'm only a day into having this knockoff loop but the magnet is loving STRONG and has some rubber that helps grip too.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

When it was brought up a couple months ago, people mentioned the Apple Milanese slipped, too.
If that is the case, I'll grab a dirt cheap one. It just looks like the Milanese is a nice one for dressing up the watch. I'll see how I like wearing the rubber.

Anyone have the top4cus Milanese loop? amazon prime canada sells that one.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Matt Zerella posted:

I'm only a day into having this knockoff loop but the magnet is loving STRONG and has some rubber that helps grip too.

Quoted for truth! I played about 5 minutes of warm-up volleyball last night with my knockoff loop on, took some direct hits to the band by the ball, and it didn't budge. And then I realized playing volleyball with my watch on was a bad idea so I took it off.

I've also noticed a few of the knockoffs on Amazon mention having a stronger magnet (which is one I picked up) so there's that ...

VVV Re: wearing out after a while: I'm pretty ok with that since at a price of ~$10, they're kind of disposable

Braincloud fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Oct 21, 2017

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Milanese really isn't great, the heap versions are just-as-good-if-not-better at fastening, but those that aren't stainless will have the color wear away in spots like where your wrist hits a laptop.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I just tried the Milanese at the fruit stand and thought it was cool. My last watch had a thin leather strap that was comfortable. What do you guys recommend for business casual hairy arms?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Housh posted:

I just tried the Milanese at the fruit stand and thought it was cool. My last watch had a thin leather strap that was comfortable. What do you guys recommend for business casual hairy arms?

3rd party leather. There are a ton of good options for 3rd party leather depending on your taste.

Someone's about to gush about the monowear deployent.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I snagged one of the 25~ dollar Milanese knockoffs off Amazon. It’s nice for every now and then when I gotta get fancy but normally I use the official nylon.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Grassy Knowles posted:

Someone's about to gush about the monowear deployent.

Ew. Contrast stitching.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Matt Zerella posted:

Ew. Contrast stitching.

I said someone for a reason, I personally agree with you.

(I also wear the nylon strap most of the time because I'm paid to touch computer--the formality bar I need to beat is set incredibly low)

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Grassy Knowles posted:

I said someone for a reason, I personally agree with you.

(I also wear the nylon strap most of the time because I'm paid to touch computer--the formality bar I need to beat is set incredibly low)

I have a NATO strap coming soon. I wasn't a huge fan of the nylon my last goaround so I'm hoping I like this better. Grabbed a Clockwork Synergy one on amazon. The Milanese was ok but it looked silly with a henley and jeans at work.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Housh posted:

I know it's a lil late, but Best Buy is selling their remaining stock of stainless steel Series 2 for less than Apple is charging for their refurbs.

Not a whole lot left, but in the event you wanted a 38mm stainless steel w/ Milanese Loop or 42mm Space Black only w/ Milanese Loop, they're priced really well.

About genuine vs. third party Milanese Loop, someone made a good post about it a few pages back. Basically, the third party silver one is okay, but still a gamble -- look at any Amazon listing for them and you'll see customer pictures of broken lugs (not a ton, but some.) The black one generally isn't recommended, since the black is just painted on there and will certainly rub off rather quickly. This doesn't apply to the genuine Apple band; I've had it for over a year and it still looks new. It has the same diamond-like carbon coating as the Space Black stainless steel watch, and it's made to last. Magnets on both genuine and third party bands are strong, and I personally haven't had any issues with slipping (and I wear it quite snug so I dunno what gives.)

enojy fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Oct 21, 2017

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
I am thinking of getting an Apple Watch today to use at the gym, and after seeing the taxes and fees stack up on the LTE, I am leaning towards the regular Series 3. I've seen a lot of people post about how podcast functionality is not yet available, but I was wondering if its possible to manually add podcasts from iTunes after setting the media type to music and putting them in a playlist?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

TyrantWD posted:

I am thinking of getting an Apple Watch today to use at the gym, and after seeing the taxes and fees stack up on the LTE, I am leaning towards the regular Series 3. I've seen a lot of people post about how podcast functionality is not yet available, but I was wondering if its possible to manually add podcasts from iTunes after setting the media type to music and putting them in a playlist?

Yea, you can do that I suppose, haha. I've actually not bothered putting music on my watch, but I do know that my Series 2 has 4.6GB free, and at least the option to sync playlists from the iPhone -- you may need to convert the podcasts to compatible music files, form a playlist, push it to your iPhone, and then sync to the watch. I think the non-LTE Series 3 gets 8GB? So accounting for watchOS, you'd have around 7.5GB to play with.

Alternatively, if you can finagle some way of having your iPhone within Bluetooth range while at the gym, you can just simply stream them on the watch. The watch supports podcast playback via what's on your iPhone, just no current way of downloading them to the internal storage.

Edit:I'm actually not 100% on that last part, as I don't own any Bluetooth headphones. You can control playback of podcasts that are on your iPhone via the watch. That's all I know for certain.

enojy fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Oct 21, 2017

gregday
May 23, 2003

TyrantWD posted:

If you’re only leaning toward the regular one, you can buy the LTE one and just not activate service until you’re ready later.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
If you have iTunes Match or Apple Music, you can load your music on your watch (through the watch app on your phone) without it being also stored on your phone.

I have five playlists loaded on my watch but my phone says 0K of downloaded music.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

:stonk:

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

yikes. VZW activation at least is waived and gives you 3 months free.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Nerdrock posted:

yikes. VZW activation at least is waived and gives you 3 months free.

AT&T does too, not sure what that is about

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Even taking that away it’s still $15 god drat dollars a month. That’s loving insane.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I'm happy my carrier isn't even supported in Canada. Helped me decide on getting a SS S2. Now I can blow all the extra money on BANDS.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

:lol:

No longer considering an LTE version!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
That looks bad, but isn’t part of that offset by lower charges on your phone line(s)?

In particular, aren’t the FUSC and sales tax totaled for your whole account and then split evenly* among all your devices?

*if all your devices are in the same state and county

• Locked thread