Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Ninjalicious posted:

That little goose is SO DANG CUTE :sweatdrop:

"Game where you play as a prankster goose" is a brilliant concept, and I'm shocked that it apparently hasn't already been done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Keeshhound posted:

"Game where you play as a prankster goose" is a brilliant concept, and I'm shocked that it apparently hasn't already been done.

:whoptc:

Can't wait for co-op honking at people.

Ninjalicious
Feb 22, 2010

Keeshhound posted:

What the art form is really all about.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Well I'm probably hosed because I really need to sneeze.

Just another day in Alien: Isolation.

What was the AI trick with the xenomorph? Something about it had two brains, one that was always looking for you and a "mute" one that knew where you were at all times and tried to guide it?

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Internet Kraken posted:

While I appreciate the attempt that just confused me even more.

Most of the party has giant robots. The villain decides to crucify your giant robots. Chu Chu doesn't have a giant robot and just becomes gigantic instead. Villain crucifies him anyway.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

My exploration vessel in orbit around Duna in Kerbal Space Program

Bonus action shot of a little attack helicopter I built

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Been replaying The Witcher 3 in 4k, and I found myself stopping all the time to admire how rich and beautiful the texture details are on clothes, objects and environments. So many things you'll see once look like a lifetime of work has been put into them.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

al-azad posted:

Yeah, that's Xenogears for you.

Short story: the villain crucifies your party which happens to contain a pink animal creature.

https://twitter.com/cecilmurdock/status/696856999582162944

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Jydge.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Forza 7

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Randallteal posted:

Been replaying The Witcher 3 in 4k, and I found myself stopping all the time to admire how rich and beautiful the texture details are on clothes, objects and environments. So many things you'll see once look like a lifetime of work has been put into them.

Post more as you make them, please, I can never have enough Witcher 3 wallpapers in my rotation :swoon:

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Not often that a brainless murdering monster looks so amazingly caught off-guard. I mean really it's just his basic expression but it works perfectly here.

FantasticExtrusion
Sep 3, 2017

IM WELDIN THIS DOOR

Calaveron posted:

What was the AI trick with the xenomorph? Something about it had two brains, one that was always looking for you and a "mute" one that knew where you were at all times and tried to guide it?
I was like "uh huh, do go on." That's actually a pretty common strategy, it's comparable to Left 4 Dead's AI director, I play a lot of KF2. You could see its spawn system which uses exclusion volumes, and ranges to select spawn groups categorically in response to the player positions as an implicit AI managing the game; and there's some explicit schedule (bosses, group size increases) as well. The units themselves also utilize a pathing mode until events, abilities, and range to the player puts them into a more continuous mode where they stop using the pathing graph while they are right on top of players.

That's really all video game AI like this is, scheduled events. The best and most sophisticated AI systems are only as good as their most atomic functional behaviors. Alien: Isolation is interesting because the AI is driving one Xenomorph (unless that changes, I was unable to finish that game lol) and in a fairly sophisticated way.

What would interest me is if you talked about how behaviors can be chosen and what motivates those changes, it's the connecting tissue that makes these systems shine. That info was like "our game has connecting tissue" - I noticed, it was pretty terrifying. I can truly say I had no idea what that AI was doing at any time and it was terrifing. I want to hear, like, "The global AI registers and checks the positions of objects the player disturbs allowing the driven Xenomorph to 'remember' a scene: and go into a searching frenzy if it notices the player must have recently disturbed it."

But I also kind of understand, it's sort of like spoiling a magic trick.

FantasticExtrusion fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Oct 13, 2017

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

iirc the xenomorph was set to wander randomly but was always 'tethered' to the player, that is to say it could never get too far away from the player character (and thus the player could never escape it). It probably had some other parameters like 'stay in big open areas' or 'focus on loud machine noises' to finetune the parts of the level it focused on.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

What a cozy fall game

wish the switch took higher quality screencaps...

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Both of us could take one hit before dying.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Guys please post game names, I only recognized Zelda.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Scalding Coffee posted:

Both of us could take one hit before dying.

I'm guessing that's Shadow of War.

e: Warframe had a new update recently, they're trying an open world sort of model with a new large outdoor area that has emergent gameplay. Yes I have a giant candy cane as a weapon.

If you haven't played it yet now is a good time to get in and take advantage of some good rewards - speak to someone in the Warframe thread and they can give you a reference which gets you bonuses.

It also has a cool photo mode!

TheMostFrench fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Oct 15, 2017

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Yes

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

PantsBandit posted:

wish the switch took higher quality screencaps...

You picked the wrong console for that bud :smug:

Ninjalicious
Feb 22, 2010
Post. Game. Titles. Assholes.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Shadow of War

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
It is pretty nuts how far this game has come over the years that I've been playing it on-and-off.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

SOMA. Just one of a few moments of existential crisis for the game's protagonist.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

The Kins posted:

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

You should turn off the HUD. It really makes the game look better and helps with the whole "lost in the wilderness" thing.

I turned it off immediately and never looked back. You still get your heart counters.

In fact, I recommend that people turn off the HUD or at least set it to dynamic for most games.

I loving hate staring at a minimap all the time.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Beastie posted:

You should turn off the HUD. It really makes the game look better and helps with the whole "lost in the wilderness" thing.

I turned it off immediately and never looked back. You still get your heart counters.

In fact, I recommend that people turn off the HUD or at least set it to dynamic for most games.

I loving hate staring at a minimap all the time.
You underestimate just how loving shithouse my sense of direction is.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

SOMA. Just one of a few moments of existential crisis for the game's protagonist.

:sbahj: at that part. SOMA is great!

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

The Kins posted:

You underestimate just how loving shithouse my sense of direction is.

Oh I understand. But BotW has some great landmarks. Once you beat your first Divine Beast you'll get a piercing beam of light parallel to the ground straight to Hyrule Castle. Although I don't know how far along you are.

It's really not that bad, give it a shot! You can always turn it back on.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Yo I am almost ready to go with that tower unite thread, sorry I haven't posted it yet.

Palpek, are we good to use non-timg images in that thread like we do here or would that be a problem?

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Oct 20, 2017

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Shadow of War's orcs are a little more verbose than Shadow of Mordor's, but they're still so much fun :)

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

They have such good VA.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Light Gun Man posted:

Yo I am almost ready to go with that tower unite thread, sorry I haven't posted it yet.

Palpek, are we good to use non-timg images in that thread like we do here or would that be a problem?

Yes, you can use normal images in your thread.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Palpek posted:

Yes, you can use normal images in your thread.

Thanks. Thread started: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3838146

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Shadow of war.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Just randomly did the first raid in Final Fantasy XIV for fun with some guys from the euro-goon guild and it has some pretty cool visuals between stages (this raid isn't run as one continuous instance, instead it's broken-up into fourteen separate parts allowing you to do it in chunks. This also let the developers release it in chunks rather than all at once), as the final boss is built as you complete stages.

My screenshots kinda suck and I missed some stages of the boss being built since I didn't think to take a shot at the time.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Scalding Coffee posted:

They have such good VA.

I sometimes think they're slightly too intelligent, but the writing is too much fun to really want to complain about it.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Jerusalem posted:

I sometimes think they're slightly too intelligent, but the writing is too much fun to really want to complain about it.

It feels a bit like in the Mad Max universe, where the horrible psychopaths all use four syllable words in conversation while they try to open up someone's skull with a scrap axe.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Keeshhound posted:

the horrible psychopaths all use four syllable words in conversation while they try to open up someone's skull with a scrap axe.

That is basically this forum, not that I'm suggesting we change a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

This is the Police