Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Koalas March posted:

Not enough Nazis getting punched in this thread.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Went back a bit and didn't see this, sorry if it's a repost.

Guess what Trump rates himself on a 1 to 10 scale for his Puerto Rico aid

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
The Kelly thing is pretty convincing. Maybe Trump was an unintentional rear end in a top hat to the widow.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

What about conservatives being punched?

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Vladimir Putin posted:

The Kelly thing is pretty convincing. Maybe Trump was an unintentional rear end in a top hat to the widow.

I wish someone asked Kelly "Was it also your idea to never say the name of the dead soldier?"

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It was always pretty clear Trump "misspoke."

The problem is that the White House's spin is "His heart was in the right place", sane people's take is "he was a callous rear end in a top hat regardless of intent and he owes an apology", and Trump's is "gently caress you, they're lying, I have proof, I dare you to say it again!"

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

STAC Goat posted:

The problem is that the White House's spin is "His heart was in the right place", sane people's take is "he was a callous rear end in a top hat regardless of intent and he owes an apology", and Trump's is "gently caress you, they're lying, I have proof, I dare you to say it again!"

To have a job in that white house must be like taking part in some sort of litterbox moshpit.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Yeah I was gonna say, you can't post that without the accompanying caption/rant.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I don't think anyone will ever hate a president as much as Hunter S. Thompson hated Nixon, but I feel like this guy comes close with his Reagan hatred.
HST's Nixon obituary and Krieder's Reagan one are both amazing pieces of writing and very cathartic to read every so often.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

STAC Goat posted:

Yep. Trump is a sociopath, so its clear he didn't have the empathy to immediately know that he misspoke. He's probably confused why the grieving widow would have reacted so badly to his words, and he thought he was honestly saying presidential comforting stuff, and he clumsily hosed it up. Then when the media called him out, he got pissed and did what he always does when bad stuff happens to him: lie his moronic loving rear end off.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but are there any reliable new sources that don't rely on click bait? I feel CNN is bad in that regard

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I wonder if today will put a dent in Kelly’s broader public image as “The one we’re supposed to like because he’s going to flying spear Trump to the floor if he tries to launch a nuke”?

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

The best part of this was that Crowder sucker punched the old union worker first.

He went on TV with an edited video and tried to frame it as the "violent left".

Then the full video was released by the union guys that clearly shows Crowder attacking first from behind, then getting decked when the union guy defended himself.

It was a spectacular self own.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

STAC Goat posted:

this. i sorta honestly believe that tried in his own broken narcissistic way to be kind but he doesn't get(or is incapable of ) true empathy/sympathy. so he gurgles some poo poo out in jovial tone and fucks it up worse by forgetting the dudes name. then he doubles down uses kelly and then he triples down on twitter. he will probaly go off again tomorrow.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Willo567 posted:

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but are there any reliable new sources that don't rely on click bait? I feel CNN is bad in that regard

NPR is pretty decent, and very down to earth.
Propublica as well.

Of course they do not update nearly as frequently - because they aren't selling ads.

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Oct 20, 2017

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

I wonder if today will put a dent in Kelly’s broader public image as “The one we’re supposed to like because he’s going to flying spear Trump to the floor if he tries to launch a nuke”?

probaly not. kelly was vaguish enough with some stuff (the gold star family tarnished at convention) that it can be twisted either way. even if he is a stupid gently caress, i am sure he isnt having a good time at the white house.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Just left the Obama rally in VA, really hope he continues giving speeches

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Willo567 posted:

BBC
The Guardian
NYT
WaPo

Those are the main ones I hit for national/international news. CNN is one of the worst. NBC/ABC/CBS are much better. They still have clickbait but nowhere near as much.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

Just left the Obama rally in VA, really hope he continues giving speeches

what did he say?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/AndrewKirell/status/921128819230232577

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
How rare is getting one purple heart, or even two?

Time and time again these stolen valor stories break down when the POS says they are the ultimate badass with bajillion medals.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Deteriorata posted:

BBC
The Guardian
NYT
WaPo

Those are the main ones I hit for national/international news. CNN is one of the worst. NBC/ABC/CBS are much better. They still have clickbait but nowhere near as much.

If you can catch the PBS NewsHour it is informative and sober. Makes the 24-hour networks look like the advertisement cannons that they are.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

On his dick:
https://twitter.com/scrowder/status/732367986636423168

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

PhazonLink posted:

Time and time again these stolen valor stories break down when the POS says they are the ultimate badass with bajillion medals.

Purple Hearts are not all that rare, simply because we still have quite a few of them in surplus since the invasion of Japan never happened. You're technically entitled to one for each distinct injury.

But yeah, you can usually tell who's full of poo poo by the medals they claim to have and if they use "it's classified" as an excuse. As Don Shipley (real former SEAL and hobbyist fake SEAL debunker) loves to say "*operations* are classified, men are not."

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I'm kind of amazed that people keep putting themselves in these situations, where their claims can be checked so easily. What is it about lying in that way that attracts people? It only 'matters' if people believe your claims and it's so easily disproven, I just don't get it.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Crowder admits to wanting to gently caress his mom.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

PhazonLink posted:

How dare you denigrate the medals that brave soldiers like Sheriff Clarke earned.

He went through hell for that....*checks inscription*...perfect attendance medal.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

probaly not. kelly was vaguish enough with some stuff (the gold star family tarnished at convention) that it can be twisted either way. even if he is a stupid gently caress, i am sure he isnt having a good time at the white house.

I think his attack against the Congresswoman was definitely the lowest, most blatantly partisan part of it and the part that could theoretically come back on him. But she doesn't have a big profile, doesn't seem to be seeking out cameras, and I don't even remember her name. My impression is that unlike what Kelly, Trump, Shucks, and Co say Rep Wilson (I looked it up!) actually isn't trying to use this to get famous and was just speaking out in anger for a friend so she's probably unlikely to jump into the spotlight now to pick a fight with Kelly, even if its to defend her own honor because it would be at the expense of putting her grieving friends through more poo poo.

Again, being on the side of good and having human empathy and compassion puts you at a strategic disadvantage sometimes.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Oct 20, 2017

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Chard posted:

I'm kind of amazed that people keep putting themselves in these situations, where their claims can be checked so easily. What is it about lying in that way that attracts people? It only 'matters' if people believe your claims and it's so easily disproven, I just don't get it.

When you're with a bunch of drunks at a bar, no one can check your claims and you get to be the center of attention. It gets to be habit-forming. Eventually they concoct a whole alternate reality that stars them and they start to believe it sincerely.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Chard posted:

A huge proportion of Americans will believe anything that supports their worldview, and reject anything that conflicts with it.

It's dumb tribalism. Not much more to it than that.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

Spotted some Guy Fieri cosplay too.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Chard posted:

Because no one in the right wing sphere wants to question it. What they will question is why you are so finicky and untrusting of this man that is parroting my prejudices and beliefs!

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

STAC Goat posted:

I think his attack against the Congresswoman was definitely the lowest, most blatantly partisan part of it and the part that could theoretically come back on him. But she doesn't have a big profile, doesn't seem to be seeking out cameras, and I don't even remember her name. My impression is that unlike what Kelly, Trump, Shucks, and Co say she actually isn't trying to use this to get famous and was just speaking out in anger for a friend so she's probably unlikely to jump into the spotlight now to pick a fight with Kelly, even if its to defend her own honor because it would be at the expense of putting her grieving friends through more poo poo.

Wasn't she the mentor of the deceased? Presumably she had the permission of the widow to be there and to comfort her, but Kelly made her sound like an ambulance chaser. loving dick.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Chard posted:

If you're humble enough to make a believable lie like "I guarded a warehouse, never fired my gun in combat, and got a purple heart when a mortar strike made a box fall on my foot" then you're not the type of person who would bother with the deception in the first place.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Chard posted:

Military History Magazine actually did a pretty good article on this in 2009 - there was a district judge in Illinois that had two framed Medals of Honor in his office and would tell lawyers and anyone who visited his chambers that he earned BOTH of them in action (the last time an individual won a second MoH was in 1918, after that the rules were changed so you could only win *once* - Marines were eligible to win both the Marine and Navy versions of the medal).

The article also went into really :smith: stories about old retired men who were defining themselves by a lie (a large fraction never even served in peacetime), and when they were found out, they'd lay low for a while and then - almost to a man - start up again. They want to believe it because people 1) give them attention, and 2) seem *happy* to give them attention because the gesture requires so little from them but means so much to the person who's *desperate* for attention and praise, that they'll lie about a life they never lived.

As for why they don't quit while they're ahead - ask every man who has had an affair that he could've ended before it cost him everything why he kept digging the hole deeper. I'd imagine the flawed logic is the same.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Crabtree posted:

Because no one in the right wing sphere wants to question it. What they will question is why you are so finicky and untrusting of this man that is parroting my prejudices and beliefs!

*I* perform ultimately meaningless rituals that confirm my patriotism, and agree with the audience that change is frightening and propagated only by the malicious. Therefore my arguments carry more weight.

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

Crabtree posted:

American conservatives have destroyed their own mental faculties with decades of programming propaganda. They have lost their ability to accurately interpret reality.

Even the "professional" right wingers fall into this category, especially if they spend time in the RWM bubble.

Megan Kelly was shocked that NBC actually does fact checking and doesn't just run with whatever story helps their side. She had gotten so used to the trash being produced at Fox that she honestly believed that's how all journalism must be done.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

RasperFat posted:

Megan Kelly was shocked that NBC actually does fact checking and doesn't just run with whatever story helps their side. She had gotten so used to the trash being produced at Fox that she honestly believed that's how all journalism must be done.

Not that I don't believe that, but is there a reliable source for this?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Anybody has sex with my sister its gonna be me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

I will find this man in this same shirt a few weeks from now and I will grab him by his man titties highlighted by those swastikas and twist his nipples off with wire, hooks and a engine.

He couldn't just be a loving racist jackass, no, he has to also look like a total twat doing so with a shirt that is completely stupid. Swastikas in your arm pits? How the gently caress is this appealing to even their mouth breathing crowd of dickless chuds?! Is also wearing them on his stained tighty not-so-whities and there are nazi symbols on his thighs where he extra wouldn't see them?

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Oct 20, 2017

• Locked thread