Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

but if anything, it's only taken cc close to eighteen months to go from "the Dems are flawless and did nothing wrong" to "the dnc is wholly impotent and are loving up royally"

i mean, in the context of a public school setting he'd be held back a year for taking this long to learn but somehow he gets a paycheck for his dumbassed observations.

at least since the election, cc has always been of the opinion that the DNC was totally irrelevant and therefore we shouldn't worry about what it does

the dccc, dscc, and various other side committees, on the other hand, he considered to be extremely important

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Frijolero posted:

I don't think anyone will surpass Bush levels of murder anytime soon.

Bush had the MIC, the Dems, the world behind him. It was a completely suis generis moment of absolute carnage. Trump will never ever achieve that.

i'm hoping trump and korea war 2: nuclear boogaloo can set a new high score

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

got any sevens posted:

i'm hoping trump and korea war 2: nuclear boogaloo can set a new high score

ha ha... yes... yes... TRUMP

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Main Paineframe posted:

at least since the election, cc has always been of the opinion that the DNC was totally irrelevant and therefore we shouldn't worry about what it does

the dccc, dscc, and various other side committees, on the other hand, he considered to be extremely important

it's almost like the publically-percieved actions of an affiliated body charged with electing democrats have consequences despite his insistence that it is unimportant and it's everybody else that has the problem instead of the body that has taken hardly any substantive action towards correcting or improving this erroneous perception.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

but somehow he gets a paycheck for his dumbassed observations.

the American dream :patriot:

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if a doctor operated with the same level of incompetence that national-level dems have conducted themselves, we would still be in the "pre-trial hearing" stage of a murder trial nearly a year after the grand jury handed down it's indictment

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

how much of this is legit and how much is made up poo poo that republican hitmen are throwing out to muddy the waters re: trump's poo poo

the clinton foundation beint a bribe-taking operation isn't even controversial, just look at their dealings with saudi

obama is too smart to do anything as blatantly corrupt though

Main Paineframe posted:

I agree in principle, but perception is key. the whole #unity thing isn't going to work out very well if it looks like Perez is openly stacking the Rules and Bylaws Committee with establishment loyalists, especially considering the number of scandals that came up in 2016 showing the DNC favoring Hillary in one way or another. regardless of whether it had any effect or not, it makes the DNC look corrupt and alienates voters, and that's the exact opposite of what they need right noa

pissing off the base is not one of the DNC's jobs, so they should stop doing it. considering how little the DNC chair actually does, it's impressive just how badly Perez has managed to gently caress it up. see also: Perez's helpless flailing at the Mello thing

"unity" always meant "the base shuts up and gets back in line" though

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

The most important organizations in the country based entirely on email spam.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

it's almost like the publically-percieved actions of an affiliated body charged with electing democrats have consequences despite his insistence that it is unimportant and it's everybody else that has the problem instead of the body that has taken hardly any substantive action towards correcting or improving this erroneous perception.

I've been pretty clear in this very thread, several posts earlier, that the DNC needs to do better on this. This was a big reason I supported Ellison: while who is chair is pretty meaningless as far as actually electing Democrats, the signal sent to progressive activists is really important. I sometimes think particular attacks are unfair but often they bring it on themselves.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Vox Nihili posted:

The most important organizations in the country based entirely on email spam.

They play a pretty important role in electing Democrats. They are hardly perfect in even the slightest sense but they actually have a purpose, unlike the DNC.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh okay, the dnc is simultaneously important and not important at all.

i mean, if you're the type of person who has no problem holding a private position that is totally contradictory to your public position (e.g. the kind of people the DNC apparently love) on the very same issue, i guess that makes sense somehow.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i mean, does anyone else itt see the idea that an unimportant body (the dnc) having an important job (electing democrats on a national stage) as somehow... discordant? Striking a dissonant note?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
DNC to the tune of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grePmMTwf6A

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

:hai:

the planet's dyin' cloud

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

oh okay, the dnc is simultaneously important and not important at all.

i mean, if you're the type of person who has no problem holding a private position that is totally contradictory to your public position (e.g. the kind of people the DNC apparently love) on the very same issue, i guess that makes sense somehow.

There's no contradiction. The DNC is a powerless org with little relevance for most of the party. It doesn't have the powers people assign to it. That doesn't mean it doesn't hold symbolic importance to people who feel it tilted the field and want reform.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I mean, who gives a poo poo that the class action lawsuit was thrown out -- when you have representation on record saying you are under no obligation to offer a fair contest (especially seeing as how language to the contrary is in their own loving charter), is there anybody in the democrats with the foresight to realize that sometimes it's better to lose a battle in order to win the war?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

When the President isn't a Democrat, the DNC is pretty much the only source of party-wide and nationwide policy and coordination (DCCC etc. have fundraising goals and get to choose which poor suckers foolishly running as a Democrat for Congress in one of the 40+ Real Bad States get screwed over on funding but they dont set policy or anything). It decides what donations are acceptable and whether there will be things like superdelegates. That strikes me as mondo-important, but I'm just a humble, shitpostin' working man.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Concerned Citizen posted:

There's no contradiction. The DNC is a powerless org with little relevance for most of the party. It doesn't have the powers people assign to it. That doesn't mean it doesn't hold symbolic importance to people who feel it tilted the field and want reform.

so it goes back to it being everybody else's fault then for not understanding something the dnc has made no effort towards correcting? because it may have been a while since my last public relations class, but something like "if you don't talk, then you're confirming everyone else's assumptions" is one of the first things they talk about in public relations.

you do know trump is the president, right? and even if he is impeached there is no way in seven hells dread abuela is gonna be sworn in as a result, right?

you do know that, right? is your bubble so insular that you've blocked that part out?

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Vox Nihili posted:

When the President isn't a Democrat, the DNC is pretty much the only source of party-wide and nationwide policy and coordination (DCCC etc. have fundraising goals and get to choose which poor suckers foolishly running as a Democrat for Congress in one of the 40+ Real Bad States get screwed over on funding but they dont set policy or anything). It decides what donations are acceptable and whether there will be things like superdelegates. That strikes me as mondo-important to me, but I'm just a humble, shitpostin' working man.

The DNC doesn't set policy or do coordination, though. They don't control donations for anyone but themselves. Like A Better Deal came from the Senate Democrats.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uSTnw8tHT8

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

so it goes back to it being everybody else's fault then for not understanding something the dnc has made no effort towards correcting? because it may have been a while since my last public relations class, but something like "if you don't talk, then you're confirming everyone else's assumptions" is one of the first things they talk about in public relations.

you do know trump is the president, right? and even if he is impeached there is no way in seven hells dread abuela is gonna be sworn in as a result, right?

you do know that, right? is your bubble so insular that you've blocked that part out?

I mean, the DNC should do a better job. It needs reform. We're agreeing on that. What else do you want exactly?

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

ShutteredIn posted:

Personally I think it's good that the Democrats are... *squints* never going to win an election again

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/evepeyser/status/920772202445922306

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

I mean, the DNC should do a better job. It needs reform. We're agreeing on that. What else do you want exactly?

This is an internet comedy forum - not a serious place for discussion.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

https://twitter.com/Post_Truth_Era/status/921131229679964161

:justpost: truth era

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Shear Modulus posted:

obama is too smart to do anything as blatantly corrupt though

I really don't get how there are people still constantly overestimating that lousy gently caress while he does blow on billionaire island

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

The DNC doesn't set policy or do coordination, though. They don't control donations for anyone but themselves. Like A Better Deal came from the Senate Democrats.

The DNC organizes the National Convention, where the party platform is formulated. What you're saying is like... the school board doesn't run the school, it just decides how others run the school.

"The DNC is responsible for articulating and promoting the Democratic platform and coordinating party organizational activity."

The DNC literally puts together a "Platform Committee" that votes on what goes into the platform during the convention.

I don't know how I can be any clearer here.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Mc Do Well posted:

trump

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I guess it's too much to ask for the establishment wing of the Democratic Party to stick to warm, damp, dark places so that the digestion process of whatever brain worms that they force you to put into your ear when you attend new employee orientation as part of the party org will be unhindered, so let me think on it.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Folks, the dnc is just totally worthless irrelevant trash, also the platform that the same folks made that was the most progressive, ever, is good stuff, just the best!!!! :smugdon:

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Vox Nihili posted:

The DNC literally puts together a "Platform Committee" that votes on what goes into the platform during the convention.

That is all for show. An idealized Chicago Centrist politician wins over voters/consumers but is ultimately beholden to the managers/stockholders/Donors (who might be Unions, sometimes - but more and more it is ALEC, Various Cranks, Hedge Funds, etc). That school of thought is into rehabilitating Bush - the ideal that the system can't be wrong while all the external costs are piling up. I have the impression in this Niger incident that other nations are starting to leave US troops out to dry if not outright fragging them as in Afghanistan. Don't be cynical!

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

lmao

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Vox Nihili posted:

The DNC organizes the National Convention, where the party platform is formulated. What you're saying is like... the school board doesn't run the school, it just decides how others run the school.

"The DNC is responsible for articulating and promoting the Democratic platform and coordinating party organizational activity."

I don't know how I can be any clearer here.

They don't really do that. Like, the platform passes and no one ever reads it. No one is ever like "boy should I run on this? Let me check if it's in the DNC platform first." To the extent that policy is promoted by the party it's generally by elected officials, which makes sense because they are elected in nominally democratic processes rather than arcane party rituals that probably have human sacrifice in them. The DNC doesn't really coordinate much anymore since advocacy activities have largely moved to third party issue organizations. To the extent they do, it's dealing with state parties that are in even more of a mess than the DNC.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the dnc needs reform, y'all -- not any sort of meaningful reforms, Jesus Christ!, no I'm taking about that tweet about hiring more women prison guards! I know they meant that as a joke but I really think there's a good idea there...

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

lol

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/MatthewFerrari/status/921134144700276736

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

the Retrowave generator just failed me by two characters and I don't know how to feel about that :(

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

my dream of Liberals hate Whisteblowers more than War Criminals is dead

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
did anyone tell Clinton's surrogates that the 'most progressive platform of all time' didn't mean jack poo poo? because that should have come up.

I guess it really explains why Hillary's entire campaign platform was "I'm not Trump."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Mc Do Well posted:

This is the suck zone, so it's a place to do both comedy and serious discussion badly.

• Locked thread