Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
windows 10 fall creators update still doesn't disable smb 1.0 by default lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Fatal Error posted:

my roommate's laptop just spontaneously rebooted without warning in order to install the update lmao

how long has your roommate been delaying applying updates?

i've literally never had windows 10 auto-reboot without asking me first, but then again i actually apply updates with a delay of at most a few days

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

duTrieux. posted:

how long has your roommate been delaying applying updates?

i've literally never had windows 10 auto-reboot without asking me first, but then again i actually apply updates with a delay of at most a few days

he probably just didn't bother to configure anything, like most people crying about problems

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

wing a ding dang my dangalong ling long

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

he probably just didn't bother to configure anything, like most people crying about problems

microsoft must really 💖 linux

because all of the excuses people make for win10's shittiness sounds a lot like linux people 10 years ago

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The_Franz posted:

microsoft must really 💖 linux

because all of the excuses people make for win10's shittiness sounds a lot like linux people 10 years ago

it's the same "excuses" as always, lovely dancer will be inhibited even by his balls. in this particular situation, an extreme degree of hacking may potentially be needed to rememdy the problem

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
on my work laptop i tried clicking the restart now button here and it didn't do anything, i had to restart and run windows update like three times for it to take

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

anthonypants posted:

on my work laptop i tried clicking the restart now button here and it didn't do anything, i had to restart and run windows update like three times for it to take

it did download the update just some minutes ago, but snoozed just fine and is updating now straight after the first restart

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
plz compile a list of all the bullshit it resets

tia

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

infernal machines posted:

plz compile a list of all the bullshit it resets

tia

k, ill be going through the drains in some 10 mins. only opened one menu now, which did reset or introduce safe search, device history search thing, and did introduce cloud search. that's all under permissions & history of new search menu in uwp settings, ill post expanded list a bit later if no one finds something compiled elsewhere, or cant be arsed to do so

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo
tbh it probably is his fault but i still lol'd when it happened

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I tried to search for a torrenting program on my windows pc. all files are indexed, but search would only find the program if I put in the beginning of the name. no searching for “torr” or anything less than the start of the name

also it’s qbittorrent which I think is pretty unique amongst the names of my programs

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Boiled Water posted:

I tried to search for a torrenting program on my windows pc. all files are indexed, but search would only find the program if I put in the beginning of the name. no searching for “torr” or anything less than the start of the name

also it’s qbittorrent which I think is pretty unique amongst the names of my programs

not working for me either, trying numerous wildcard shortcuts didnt help much. at least with popup search, not the full one. not sure if it should as intended, tbqh

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it's not a conspiracy, the windows search indexer is just absolute loving garbage

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

infernal machines posted:

it's not a conspiracy, the windows search indexer is just absolute loving garbage

i assume the pre-search (just type, not press enter) in win 10 start menu is not a full indexer. outside of that its been long since ive used windows search

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it pulls only limited results but afaik it's still relying on the same index

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
the thing i hate is when explorer.exe just chugs for no reason

a folder i've opened a million times won't display contents until the super slow progress bar gets done doing--something

and then when it finally deigns to show the contents of the Music or Downloads folder it lags on scrolling

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

k, ill be going through the drains in some 10 mins. only opened one menu now, which did reset or introduce safe search, device history search thing, and did introduce cloud search. that's all under permissions & history of new search menu in uwp settings, ill post expanded list a bit later if no one finds something compiled elsewhere, or cant be arsed to do so

so, asides that:

privacy - general - show me suggested content in the settings app

privacy - backgroud apps - get help, print 3d (potentially settings and store, i dont remember them on but they could be tho)

gaming - game mode

time and language - date & time - maybe it did reset set time zone automatically (dont remember)

acounts - sign-in options - use my sign-in info to automatically finish setting up my device after an update or restart

apps - default apps - might have partialyl failed to reset video player

personalisation - start - occasionally show suggestions in Start

network & internet - wifi - let me use online sign-up to get connected

network & internet - mobile hotspot - allow another device to turn on mobile hotspot. both devices must have bluetooth turned on and be paired

devices - typing - show text suggetions (3 settings, i think they were there before)

devices - autoplay - removable drive

devices - autoplay - memory card

system - notifications & actions - battery saver app added

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

those are my settings that were changed, or new settings that were closely related to what i had/would have, and in a bad way

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

it did not reset regex hacks i added to kill cortana and candy crush saga

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

maybe they changed something in control panel, but i dont have another hour to skim through it too

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

danke

"personalisation - start - occasionally show suggestions in Start"

motherfuckers will not stop turning that back on. i have gpo controlled machines post 1607 that loving turn that back on.

eat a dick you fuckers, i don't want ads in the start menu

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

im mostly worried about game mode

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

cinci zoo sniper posted:

so, asides that:

privacy - general - show me suggested content in the settings app

privacy - backgroud apps - get help, print 3d (potentially settings and store, i dont remember them on but they could be tho)

gaming - game mode

time and language - date & time - maybe it did reset set time zone automatically (dont remember)

acounts - sign-in options - use my sign-in info to automatically finish setting up my device after an update or restart

apps - default apps - might have partialyl failed to reset video player

personalisation - start - occasionally show suggestions in Start

network & internet - wifi - let me use online sign-up to get connected

network & internet - mobile hotspot - allow another device to turn on mobile hotspot. both devices must have bluetooth turned on and be paired

devices - typing - show text suggetions (3 settings, i think they were there before)

devices - autoplay - removable drive

devices - autoplay - memory card

system - notifications & actions - battery saver app added
it adds a "people" icon to the taskbar

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

anthonypants posted:

it adds a "people" icon to the taskbar

that wasn't there before, so it's not a reset of a previously existing setting. it adds plenty of worse stuff than a tiny taskbar icon

theodop
Dec 30, 2005

rock solid, heart touching
my update failed to apply first time around for unspecified reasons

2nd time around it applied and then opened Edge with a "see what's new" button.

when I clicked that it opened the Windows Store with a message that the Tips app had failed to launch and needed to be re-installed.

when I clicked Reinstall it sat there for 30 minutes "downloading" all 6.8MBs of the app and not going anywhere.

when I clicked Cancel and then Get instead of Reinstall (???) it downloaded and launched. now I have the GPU usage in my task manager so I guess it was worth the trouble? there's also some other bullshit about Paint 3D for children I guess

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

theodop posted:

my update failed to apply first time around for unspecified reasons

2nd time around it applied and then opened Edge with a "see what's new" button.

when I clicked that it opened the Windows Store with a message that the Tips app had failed to launch and needed to be re-installed.

when I clicked Reinstall it sat there for 30 minutes "downloading" all 6.8MBs of the app and not going anywhere.

when I clicked Cancel and then Get instead of Reinstall (???) it downloaded and launched. now I have the GPU usage in my task manager so I guess it was worth the trouble? there's also some other bullshit about Paint 3D for children I guess
did it take forever and say it was installing the other updates, like flash player and whatever else?

theodop
Dec 30, 2005

rock solid, heart touching

anthonypants posted:

did it take forever and say it was installing the other updates, like flash player and whatever else?

it took forever but only said it was installing update 1758 or whatever it was.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

latest windows update turned my background color black

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

anthonypants posted:

windows 10 fall creators update still doesn't disable smb 1.0 by default lol

Clean installs no longer have SMBv1, but upgrade installs keep it.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4034314/smbv1-is-not-installed-by-default-in-windows-10-rs3-and-windows-server

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
huge if true

but these two bullet points are literally next to each other on that article you linked

quote:

Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Professional no longer contain the SMBv1 server by default after a clean installation.
Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Professional still contain the SMBv1 client by default after a clean installation. If the SMBv1 client is not used for some time, it automatically uninstalls itself.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys
You can connect to SMBv1, but you can't host it as the server binaries physically aren't there. No idea what the auto-uninstall of the SMBv1 client is, but probably some 30/90/180-day thing.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

univbee posted:

This is also true, there's a lot of weird decisions and superfluous hardware that exists solely for the console to still do stuff when it's in rest mode (which is really nice, actually, would be nice if your PC was in sleep mode it'd pull updates for Windows/games/other software).

does yours not?

my Mac does, thanks to Power Nap™

I’ve actually driven cross country before and had it hop on my car’s WiFi from its bag in the trunk to fetch mail (it also files it, which is how I could tell from my phone when I stopped for coffee)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

A/V is bad, this is well known

antivirus is bad when it comes from a third party who can’t integrate it properly and securely with the operating system

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
So, any new pictures of Microsoft carpet laptop now with several months of secretions absorbed?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
there's this free software (it's free software) that helps you manage all the different settings hidden behind the registry and it's been updated for the fall update, it is called O&O ShutUp 10 and it's really good: https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

:c00l:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I tried a surface laptop at a store and maybe there is a demo/display edition because the carpet felt more like vinyl flooring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Boiled Water posted:

I tried a surface laptop at a store and maybe there is a demo/display edition because the carpet felt more like vinyl flooring

no, that's just sweat and skin cells caked on the carpet and then polished into a vinyl flooring-like texture