Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Guy Goodbody posted:

E.G. all of them. I don't think there's a single Gundam that doesn't have calves thicker than it's thighs

It's cool that I can get drunk enough to think calves and thighs are the same thing without throwing up or passing out. No, wait, the opposite of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
It makes sense that most of the proper gundam-gundams have those proportions since, as mentioned, suits tend to have large calves and feet to support the weight of the rest of the body. As for why they need to be modeled off IRL suits: Just tradition I guess. And emphasizing that the suits are extensions of the pilot's character rather than their own fleshed out being.

In other news: I've never seen it mentioned in here, but Vallejo's liquid mask works REALLY good for unconventionally shaped masking areas (i.e mechanical details, trims, eyes). It's held up to spray primer, enamel, and lacquer layers without leaking paint or flaking off. Two caveats though: 1) It will all but destroy the brush you use, soap can help remove tge latex embedded in the brush but it will take a while of gentle picking-at, just use a cheap brush and 2: it looks like the latex shrinks when you apply it but it actually just dries really thin and clear, don't be excessive with it unless you want very sloppy results.

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.
So I finished the build of the DM Hellscythe, went well besides one part on the cloak. I managed to snap the peg on one of the parts that attaches to the cloak, I've got it setting with some tamiya extra thing cement right now. If that doesn't hold it what are some things I can do to fix it?

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
A thicker plastic cement or superglue should work.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Darth Walrus posted:

Psycho Zaku arrived, and it looks goddamned terrifying.

I’m very, very glad Bandai does bilingual manuals now.

Welcome to the club.

It took me about 6 months to work up the nerve to start making it and I've only finished the backpack.

The backpack is loving huge.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Unkempt posted:

Tyvm. It's annoying, I spent ages cutting out a finger and thumb on the one I lost so it could hold something and now the cat's eaten it or it's fallen in the water or something.

Found it now. Typical.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Puddin posted:

Welcome to the club.

It took me about 6 months to work up the nerve to start making it and I've only finished the backpack.

The backpack is loving huge.

Just looked it up and holy poo poo. :stare: loving huge is right!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
The Psycho Zaku is a Zaku stuck to a space shuttle rocket booster and it rules

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
My friend said, "I can't believe you bought Chimney Gundam."

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 371 days!
Hey just a heads up - on Amazon the RG Unicorn is under $31, dunno if it's for prime users only, but it's substantially cheaper than what it's being sold for everywhere else (and what I paid for it last week :smith: )

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

tenderjerk posted:

Hey just a heads up - on Amazon the RG Unicorn is under $31, dunno if it's for prime users only, but it's substantially cheaper than what it's being sold for everywhere else (and what I paid for it last week :smith: )

A convenient link for the lazy!

... Now, the real question is: how long will that sale last? I want that kit, but I also want a few zakus before I get back to another gundam....

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

Okay, gently caress it, I'm not gonna decal this thing. Another peg broke while moving a part of the cloak, i just cut the spot the peg goes into down. Now I've got it cemented and taped and clamped. I'm just gonna put this thing up with lining and no decals. I'm gonna start my PG Strike gundam next. God it'll be nice working on a bandai kit again.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

StrixNebulosa posted:

A convenient link for the lazy!

... Now, the real question is: how long will that sale last? I want that kit, but I also want a few zakus before I get back to another gundam....

I don't know if that's a special sale. I paid that price when I preordered it back in August.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

asterioth posted:

Okay, gently caress it, I'm not gonna decal this thing. Another peg broke while moving a part of the cloak, i just cut the spot the peg goes into down. Now I've got it cemented and taped and clamped. I'm just gonna put this thing up with lining and no decals. I'm gonna start my PG Strike gundam next. God it'll be nice working on a bandai kit again.

Hell yeah me too! I just got the box and that’s a large rowdy son.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'm going to airbrush on sprue and build the 00 XN Raiser kit. I've just looked at the sprues and how it's gated and whatever. These Japanese blokes know how to put a model kit together I tell you what.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

JBP posted:

I'm going to airbrush on sprue and build the 00 XN Raiser kit. I've just looked at the sprues and how it's gated and whatever. These Japanese blokes know how to put a model kit together I tell you what.

You'll probably have a lot of touch ups to do if you're not getting exactly the same colour.

Granted i've only airbrushed 75% of a model, but I'll post what I've learned in the process (so far with Vallejo Model Air Colours)

Prime Everything

Test fit any articulated pieces for rubbing and sand down any areas for clearance. Nothing worse that getting a nice coat of paint down for it to rub or mark something that its moving against.

Spray in batches. If you're not mixing colours for a specific custom colour without making a large batch of premixed paints, I found I get fatigued on painting a large batch of pieces. It also makes moving things a lot easier.

Lots of light coats of paint. Pretty much the #1 rule of spray painting no matter what you are painting. You don't need full coverage on the first coat. Spray a piece a little, move on and rotate through all the pieces until you have a nice consistent coating.

Dry time x 2. It's not something you can bash out quickly for good results. Paint may feel and look dry, but it does need some time to fully cure.

Clean your tip and nozzle regularly. Q-tip and alcohol to stop the tip drip.

Once you're happy, top coat it with clear coat to protect and enable a nice surface for decal/panel lining.

Just the basics, but I've learn't a lot reading all the massive amounts of tutorials out there.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'm a hardcore warham from way back so I've got ok chops when it comes to doing the painting. I'm mainly impressed with how good the kit is. It's clean as hell and all the gates are in smart places. I'm pumped to put this baby together.

Also I use model/game air too. Vallejo is a joy.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Can confirm, Vallejo is pretty nice. Even if they're tied with GW for "paints most likely to dry out". Their non-metallic metal color set is a great value and super versatile.

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsI85GVWzq8

ZakuAurelius unboxing the Mechanicore Ziegler. Good god thats massive.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

So who was it again who pre-ordered it here?

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

JBP posted:

I'm mainly impressed with how good the kit is. It's clean as hell and all the gates are in smart places. I'm pumped to put this baby together.

I think the fact that most people who buy the kits won't bother painting them really gives them the incentive to make things that will look good as is, compared to the more grognardly areas of modelling where a certain level of preparation and customization is a given. Wait until you see the RG kits and things with metallic coating though, that's where it gets really crazy!

On a side note, I recently put together the HGUC Zock and I think it's my new favorite model in my collection. It's just so drat big and goofy, I love it. :3:

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

RillAkBea posted:

On a side note, I recently put together the HGUC Zock and I think it's my new favorite model in my collection. It's just so drat big and goofy, I love it. :3:

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

asterioth posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsI85GVWzq8

ZakuAurelius unboxing the Mechanicore Ziegler. Good god thats massive.

Does anyone know how the plastic is on these kits?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Yawgmoft posted:

Does anyone know how the plastic is on these kits?

ACES CURES PLANES has an in-depth months-long build log of the Deep Striker if you want to really do your homework before delving into hundreds-dollars-kits, but from what he's said it's pretty solid plastic, matte compared to Bandai's semi-gloss, great mechanical engineering, and Solder Hell.

YamataNoOrochi
Oct 24, 2005

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

It was me, and maybe someone else? It'll join my backlog until I move to a place with enough room to build/display it. Hopefully early next year.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
https://twitter.com/weebsimpsons/status/921111746957447170

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe

This hits close to home

bingsu
Aug 10, 2017

After leaving my MG Turn A a headless torso for 6 months, I've started working on it today. Highlights include:
- cursing at my file for being too wide
- spending about 30 minutes on my hands and knees searching for fingers against a dark carpet
- filling in every single panel line, cutting some more, and then filling those in
- spending around 2 hours on the right arm.

I love this build.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Johnny Ridden Zaku comes with two different leg options

Which confused me, all the art of Johnny's Zaku showed it with the legs on the right. But then I figured it out

Guys I think they're gonna make a RG Shin Matsunaga's Zaku

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I did. But I got sick so it's sitting in my office still boxed.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Guy Goodbody posted:

The Johnny Ridden Zaku comes with two different leg options

Which confused me, all the art of Johnny's Zaku showed it with the legs on the right. But then I figured it out

Guys I think they're gonna make a RG Shin Matsunaga's Zaku

Of course they are. Once you get one Zaku in a grade, you're guaranteed to have fifty more come in the next few years. Here's hoping that the Johnny Ridden Custom fixes the few niggly bits on the original RG Zaku.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Arcsquad12 posted:

Of course they are. Once you get one Zaku in a grade, you're guaranteed to have fifty more come in the next few years. Here's hoping that the Johnny Ridden Custom fixes the few niggly bits on the original RG Zaku.

You say that, but where's the RG Garma's Zaku?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm half finished with my first Zaku 2 (MG!) and I love building them. The design is so clean! I also finally got my GM Sniper 2 MG that I ordered back in August today, hoping I can crank it out in a day.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
RG Psycho Zaku

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Puddin posted:

RG Psycho Zaku

Also described as a frag grenade.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Puddin posted:

RG Psycho Zaku

I ain't even gonna pretend I don't want that.

:swoon:

Ok, now I just want to see an entire line of goofy aquatic conversions.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Well I'm pretty much finished the zeong. I'll weather the thrusters later since my model shop is taking forever to get some alclad I need. Also my first time doing some big time beam damage. Thought it turned out okay.

It's also the most time I've spent on a kit for a design I really didn't like. But it's a char suit, so I must. Only two more to go.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Do you have the Nightingale yet, or are you only doing show suits?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Neurolimal posted:

Do you have the Nightingale yet, or are you only doing show suits?

I'm sticking for show suits for now so next is the rick dias and then the Sazabi for the grand finale. Not a huge fan of the nightingale. May change my mind later, if I can pick it up for a decent price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Are there any other good places to order gunpla from within the US outside of USAGundamStore?