Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

FogHelmut posted:

I have no idea how to navigate iPhones with that single button that somehow does everything.
And isn't there on the iPhone X.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

BGR has been poo poo for a long time, don't read them
Seriously. BGR has always been clickbait headline garbage, regardless of the subject they're covering.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Seriously. BGR has always been clickbait headline garbage, regardless of the subject they're covering.

it's this

also i manually turn on sRGB on my 6p and i like it. how the gently caress do you people live with punchy sear-your-eyes colors i dont understand

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

logikv9 posted:

it's this

also i manually turn on sRGB on my 6p and i like it. how the gently caress do you people live with punchy sear-your-eyes colors i dont understand

I just checked out the XL in person and I honestly couldn't tell what's wrong with the display or colour but I have my Pixel set to sRGB.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

logikv9 posted:

it's this

It might shock you, but these things are entirely subjective! I for one like the eye-searing popping colors that all these Samsung and LG phones have.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I feel dumb for asking this, but I just got my Pixel 2 today and have been having fun with it. However, I keep noticing that stock apps have updates available in the Play Store, but when checking for updates, it always says no updates. If I search for the app individually it'll show an update if needed. Is this normal?

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Sounds like Google play services needs to update first. Can't remember if that's the official name but after that it will work correctly. Always happens with new Android phones

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Sounds like Google play services needs to update first. Can't remember if that's the official name but after that it will work correctly. Always happens with new Android phones

Found it on the store, but doesn't look like I can update it.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Anyone with a non-huge Pixel 2 have any issues with the speakers making noise when the camera app isn't open?

Some on Reddit are saying it's coil whine or something.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Found it on the store, but doesn't look like I can update it.

It will update silently on its own, just give it time.

Magic City Monday
Dec 5, 2016
Re: phone headphones

I got a pair of the Amazon Fire headphones based on some recommendations from this thread., But now they're about to break off right above the 3.5mm plug.

Are there any other good headphones that have a volume control on the cord that aren't $100?

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

So what are the chances of Adobe Lightroom mobile actually utilising the Pixel2's 3rd party hdr+ capabilities?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Erica Griffin also had no nice things to say about the Pixel 2 XL display. :|

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/10/19/moto-x4-android-one-edition-review-not-moto-x-youre-looking/

rip Moto X series

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

baka kaba posted:

I bet she could sell that on eBay

Combat Pretzel posted:

You in Germany? If so, I thought they weren't going to be dispatched before mid-November?

--edit: God, I'm so dumb.

I guess so

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

That's a shame. Hopefully they'll go on sale at some point and be worthwhile at $200-250.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Android Police are the outlier on this one, though.

The Verge: "The design, build quality, and overall fit and finish are top notch and a considerable step up from the Nexus 5X’s plasticky finish... If there’s going to be any phone to pick up the Nexus mantle, the Moto X4 is perhaps the best candidate."

PC World: "For $400, you get a device that’s cool-looking and compact enough to fit into any pocket. It has a bright, Full HD display, a headphone jack, and a processor that’s capable of playing your mobile games. It also offers a camera that shoots photos you’ll want to keep, and you won’t often find that kind of ability at this price point. The Moto X4 Android One on Project Fi is a great choice for anyone who just wants to keep it simple and doesn’t mind the Google way of doing things."

Slashgear:"This device represents a fresh step for Google... If this quality is what we can expect for the future, I won’t hesitate to recommend Android One as the must-have label for Android smartphone users of all sorts, until further notice."

Android Headlines: "the Moto X4 is a great smartphone, and perhaps one of the best that Motorola has put out in 2017."

Android Guys: "The Android One Moto X4 is everything we miss in the Nexus family of phones."

There were also some mixed reviews:

Mashable: "If you were to pick the Moto X4 as your phone, though, what you'd really need to accept is just how, well... basic it is for 2017. While today's flagships phones boast edge-to-edge displays, wireless charging, and advanced biometrics, the Moto X4 has none of those perks. It's clearly grounded in the present, not the future. However, the Moto X4 also epitomizes many of the best parts of our mobile present. If you spend less than $400 on a phone, you can't have everything, but when you take stock of what you do have, the future starts to look overpriced anyway. "

Tech Radar: "There’s little about the Moto X4 to make it a worthy purchase. It is a fine phone. For normal use, we really didn’t find it lacking. The bells and whistles that it features didn’t prove to be much more than simple noise though, as the dual-lens camera was underwhelming and 4K video wasn’t worth the storage space. A Moto G5 Plus or Moto G5S Plus would work just about as well for almost everything and cost significantly less... All told, there are similar phones for better prices, and better phones for similar prices, and that leaves the Moto X4 in an unfortunate place"

Tom's Guide: "The Moto X4 is commendable for a midrange mobile phone, but it's also conflicted. In some ways, it feels like a full-priced flagship. The metal-and-glass craftsmanship is satisfying, if not seductive. The battery life exceeds what you get from many phones that cost twice as much. And the inclusion of water resistance and NFC places it a caliber above budget competitors. And yet despite all that, the X4 still can't compete with the benchmark of bargains, the OnePlus 5."

Digital Trends: "The Moto X4 offers solid performance, a promising but frustrating camera, daylong battery life, and an uncluttered Android experience in an attractive, water-resistant body. For $400, it’s a good option over most of the budget options below it... if you can spare an extra $80, we highly recommend taking a look at the OnePlus 5."

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Thing is with the Moto x4 is that if you care about updates, you need to get the Android One version which is only available on Fi. If you don't want to, or can't use Fi, you're stuck with the one that's updated by Moto/Lenovo and after how they handled the Moto X Pure update to 7.0 I wouldn't trust them for poo poo.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

King George posted:

Re: phone headphones

I got a pair of the Amazon Fire headphones based on some recommendations from this thread., But now they're about to break off right above the 3.5mm plug.

Are there any other good headphones that have a volume control on the cord that aren't $100?

At the price and quality, I think it's still worth getting another set of the Amazon headphones.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Rastor posted:

Android Police are the outlier on this one, though.

The Verge: "The design, build quality, and overall fit and finish are top notch and a considerable step up from the Nexus 5X’s plasticky finish... If there’s going to be any phone to pick up the Nexus mantle, the Moto X4 is perhaps the best candidate."

PC World: "For $400, you get a device that’s cool-looking and compact enough to fit into any pocket. It has a bright, Full HD display, a headphone jack, and a processor that’s capable of playing your mobile games. It also offers a camera that shoots photos you’ll want to keep, and you won’t often find that kind of ability at this price point. The Moto X4 Android One on Project Fi is a great choice for anyone who just wants to keep it simple and doesn’t mind the Google way of doing things."

Slashgear:"This device represents a fresh step for Google... If this quality is what we can expect for the future, I won’t hesitate to recommend Android One as the must-have label for Android smartphone users of all sorts, until further notice."

Android Headlines: "the Moto X4 is a great smartphone, and perhaps one of the best that Motorola has put out in 2017."

Android Guys: "The Android One Moto X4 is everything we miss in the Nexus family of phones."

There were also some mixed reviews:

Mashable: "If you were to pick the Moto X4 as your phone, though, what you'd really need to accept is just how, well... basic it is for 2017. While today's flagships phones boast edge-to-edge displays, wireless charging, and advanced biometrics, the Moto X4 has none of those perks. It's clearly grounded in the present, not the future. However, the Moto X4 also epitomizes many of the best parts of our mobile present. If you spend less than $400 on a phone, you can't have everything, but when you take stock of what you do have, the future starts to look overpriced anyway. "

Tech Radar: "There’s little about the Moto X4 to make it a worthy purchase. It is a fine phone. For normal use, we really didn’t find it lacking. The bells and whistles that it features didn’t prove to be much more than simple noise though, as the dual-lens camera was underwhelming and 4K video wasn’t worth the storage space. A Moto G5 Plus or Moto G5S Plus would work just about as well for almost everything and cost significantly less... All told, there are similar phones for better prices, and better phones for similar prices, and that leaves the Moto X4 in an unfortunate place"

Tom's Guide: "The Moto X4 is commendable for a midrange mobile phone, but it's also conflicted. In some ways, it feels like a full-priced flagship. The metal-and-glass craftsmanship is satisfying, if not seductive. The battery life exceeds what you get from many phones that cost twice as much. And the inclusion of water resistance and NFC places it a caliber above budget competitors. And yet despite all that, the X4 still can't compete with the benchmark of bargains, the OnePlus 5."

Digital Trends: "The Moto X4 offers solid performance, a promising but frustrating camera, daylong battery life, and an uncluttered Android experience in an attractive, water-resistant body. For $400, it’s a good option over most of the budget options below it... if you can spare an extra $80, we highly recommend taking a look at the OnePlus 5."

That's some dedication to defending a phone!

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Thermopyle posted:

Change the thread title back to "Defend your purchase" tia

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Thermopyle posted:

whoops I forgot, you're not allowed to effortpost in IYG

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Thing is with the Moto x4 is that if you care about updates, you need to get the Android One version which is only available on Fi. If you don't want to, or can't use Fi, you're stuck with the one that's updated by Moto/Lenovo and after how they handled the Moto X Pure update to 7.0 I wouldn't trust them for poo poo.

That is definitely the big catch with the X4 and sadly some people are going to be caught in the lurch down the line when they find themselves with three voice assistants installed from the factory and no security updates being offered

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I mean, if you can/use get the Android One version, there's nothing that can touch it for the price.

I wouldn't buy the non One version for obvious reasons, but there likely won't be a new phone that's updated as quickly and as often as the One version for that price point.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

At this point though every phone has needed to be defended. You're compromising no matter who you pick.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

I mean, if you can/use get the Android One version, there's nothing that can touch it for the price.

I wouldn't buy the non One version for obvious reasons, but there likely won't be a new phone that's updated as quickly and as often as the One version for that price point.

It's twice the price and Android updates come once a year. So for the most part a Moto G5+ will be updated just as often if you buy a new one every year.

Security updates on the other hand are a different animal and I can see the logic there but you're still shoehorning in a lot of caveats (on Fi, for starters) to get a midrange phone that isn't that great.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVKnt7H4zVc

Welp. A friend of mine saw this and now he doesn't want to buy the Pixel 2 solely based on the bending thing. :v:

He doesn't believe a case should fix it or that a phone isn't going to bend in normal situations.

EDIT: He has a Galaxy S 7 and he also refuses to get the S 8 because he believes they'll "shatter into pieces" if you drop it due to it being made of glass and metal.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

ThermoPhysical posted:

Welp. A friend of mine saw this and now he doesn't want to buy the Pixel 2 solely based on the bending thing. :v:

He doesn't believe a case should fix it or that a phone isn't going to bend in normal situations.

EDIT: He has a Galaxy S 7 and he also refuses to get the S 8 because he believes they'll "shatter into pieces" if you drop it due to it being made of glass and metal.

I know the first thing I do with all my new devices is expose them to an open flame and razor blades. I think if this guy makes a video where he can't seriously damage a smartphone, he's faking it.

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!

deadly_pudding posted:

I know the first thing I do with all my new devices is expose them to an open flame and razor blades. I think if this guy makes a video where he can't seriously damage a smartphone, he's faking it.

I watch this guys reviews pretty regularly and yeah, he always damages a phone but not always in the bend test.

I wish he did a couple of more real life tests though. Why he doesn't test water resistance on water resistant phones is beyond me. Also he should actually do the scratch test on the camera glass so we can tell how hard it is.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

cage-free egghead posted:

At this point though every phone has needed to be defended. You're compromising no matter who you pick.

The second sentence does not necessitate the first.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

deadly_pudding posted:

Watch the G6 video. It almost doesn't bend at all. Other than the scratch test (and then, only for the camera lenses and display), I think the rest is just bullshit filler.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

The second sentence does not necessitate the first.

Who cares. You're giving someone poo poo for writing up a decent post on a phone that isn't a Pixel, even though now those are starting to get some flack for choices so huzzah, another phone that needs to be defended and compromises in several areas.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The main thing I was hoping to get out of the video was how easily the back glass scratched like he did with last year's pixel. While he did go at it with the razor blade, he didn't comment on or show the damage.

Really felt like he had an axe to grind this year. First gen pixel got a glowing review and most of the things he was complaining about were realities then too.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Zack is a headphone jack zealot and has been verbally savaging every phone that removed it. That's also why this latest video specifically praised the LG V30 with its headphone jack fed by Quad DACs.

Unfortunately for Zack with both Apple and Google now on board the headphone jack is as doomed as Micro USB.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Rastor posted:

Zack is a headphone jack zealot and has been verbally savaging every phone that removed it. That's also why this latest video specifically praised the LG V30 with its headphone jack fed by Quad DACs.

Unfortunately for Zack with both Apple and Google now on board the headphone jack is as doomed as Micro USB.

If Samsung removes it I'd agree, but a company that sells 5 million phones a year has rather minimal impact.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Decius posted:

If Samsung removes it I'd agree, but a company that sells 5 million phones a year has rather minimal impact.

Samsung also held out on keeping a menu button

Samsung also held out on recents-home-back button order

All those things were eventually doomed

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Rastor posted:

His LG-sponsored helicopter ride might've helped, too.

Mister Facetious posted:

Other than the scratch test (and then, only for the camera lenses and display), I think the rest is just bullshit filler.

This. Though mostly irrelevant, the bend test is interesting, too.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

My job often has me hold my phone in a flame and scrape it up with razors. I had thought Google was making Pixels for normal people like myself, but apparently not.

You're losing out on a ton of market share, Google. Get with it!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

cage-free egghead posted:

Who cares. You're giving someone poo poo for writing up a decent post on a phone that isn't a Pixel, even though now those are starting to get some flack for choices so huzzah, another phone that needs to be defended and compromises in several areas.

I think you misread the situation.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I'm on the road a lot and need 45 hours of screen on time with three terabytes of onboard storage for my AMVs (they're the best of both worlds, so sugoi and/or kawaii) idk why they can't just listen to their customers once in a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

I'm on the road a lot and need 45 hours of screen on time with three terabytes of onboard storage for my AMVs (they're the best of both worlds, so sugoi and/or kawaii) idk why they can't just listen to their customers once in a while

This is me but fetlife videos instead of anime