Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Chris Paul works really well as a villainous basketball tyrant, so I encourage more brolic/Rick hateposts of that nature throughout the season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
so the rockets literally have a player whose job it is to hang out with chris paul

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

straight up brolic posted:

is Melo just a hooded being now? Feel like I haven’t seen him without a hood off the court in months

That's his fabric based wireless networking antenna. Digital athletes require abnormal amounts of bandwidth to operate properly.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Spacebump posted:

That's his fabric based wireless networking antenna. Digital athletes require abnormal amounts of bandwidth to operate properly.

so when he pounds the ball for 22 seconds and passes it off that's just because he's buffering, i get it

e:plus defense is a bitch when you're rubberbanding all over the place

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
G'day fellas, just dropping in to say that Lonzo Ball looks like a low effort "Paul D from Jersey shore" halloween costume

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I was worried there for a bit after seeing that Blazers/Suns game. about the Bulls chances

But the Bulls did not disappoint tonight.

The Battle for #1 has begun.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

THANK YOU

Yea I loved AI but he didnt have a vertical like that

the_american_dream fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Oct 20, 2017

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
clippers looking pretty decent. i don't think they'll lose too much of a step without chris paul.

on the other hand they're playing the lakers, so it may not be entirely indicative of their capabilities

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
Kanter is unwatchable snd it us truly sad Willy lost all his minutes to him.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Rick posted:

He also for a while had incredible control over who was on the team and did things like publicly advocate getting rid of Bledsoe because he felt threatened by him.

News to me. I guess he could have tried to keep the band together, but I remember in Bledsoe's last season with the clips Paul saying something like 'There's no way we can keep him. He's too good and is gonna get paid more money than we have.'

Which I guess might have encouraged him to leave, but he always seemed to be vouching for him.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

zoux posted:

I must urge you all to NOT watch this clip of Markelle Fultz shooting free throws in an actual basketball game

https://streamable.com/gjj42

Shoots FTs like a shot putter.

:eyepop:

CRISPYBABY posted:

Chicago can't hit poo poo or defend poo poo. The only reason this game isn't a 30 point blowout is the raptors have been sloppy as gently caress. Good luck, Bulls.

Also, the referees called all kinds of crazy things to give the Bulls free points.

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

I am here for the hot Lonzo Ball takes

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

EMC posted:

he sucks, op

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/ZO2_/status/395416811157475328

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Is there a YouTube or something that explains how the NBA works? I've decided to like basketball but I'm a Euro and I don't know anything. I know Steph Curry is good

YouTube Lesson #7:

Boston announcing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu8Da3pe9h0

This is Tim Donaghy (a former NBA referee). He makes videos showing how the NBA is rigged especially during the playoffs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwUcgjm4baA

This is Jimmy Butler. The Bulls franchise decided it was not worth keeping him around:
https://youtu.be/xhNR_CagCME?t=17s

Niwrad posted:

Is scoring way up already or is it normal to have really high scores in the first week?

Average score through the first game for each team over the last decade:

code:
2017-18  107.0
2016-17  107.6
2015-16  100.9
2014-15   98.3
2013-14   99.5
2012-13	 101.1
2011-12   94.6
2010-11	  96.0
2009-10	  98.1
2008-09   94.0

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

How the gently caress did Arcidiacono ever make it on the court in an NBA game?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

CRISPYBABY posted:

News to me. I guess he could have tried to keep the band together, but I remember in Bledsoe's last season with the clips Paul saying something like 'There's no way we can keep him. He's too good and is gonna get paid more money than we have.'

Which I guess might have encouraged him to leave, but he always seemed to be vouching for him.

That was the excuse Paul was making, but the Clippers went on to spend way more money than it would've cost to keep Bledsoe on lovely bench player after lovely bench player, and probably would've hit the repeater if they had kept Paul this year. Bledsoe did get hurt after that so it's hard to say for sure what the Clippers would've been like but he sure would've solved a lot of problems they had.

Ironically, the last year the Lakers made the playoffs. Although to be fair that wasn't much of a hot take at the time, Laker fans were in deep panic over the Dwight team going winless in preseason.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Boosh! posted:

They're showcasing Kanter for an eventual trade it enables the tank to occur early

But then again they filled this roster with long term lovely contracts and that poo poo was recently so I don't know??

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

the_american_dream posted:

THANK YOU

Yea I loved AI but he didnt have a vertical like that

Counterpoint

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZVF4V1DJJo

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

EMC posted:

He looked like garbage tonight but I don't think that's even a lukewarm take

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

EMC posted:

https://twitter.com/MarcJSpearsESPN/status/921242015014309889

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
OKThree is not allowed to become a thing.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Reading the box score....Lonzo....bad?

Fate Accomplice fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 20, 2017

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Reading the box score....Alonzo....bad?
He was worse than the box score because the Lakers are just letting him get all the weak side rebounds.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Poor Lonzo's gonna get played against extra hard by every guard in the league because of his stupid loving dad

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Lonzo gets Bledsoe next

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I know hot takes are dime a dozen after exactly three nights of ball, but based on seeing Fultz last night and Ball tonight, I'm not second-guessing anything if I'm the Sixers, regardless of already having Ben Simmons and Fultz's shoulder making his FTs look terrible. Lonzo just doesn't look like he is anywhere near an NBA athlete and while Fultz is still pretty raw, the way he was going to the hole and making plays inside didn't leave me with any questions about his upside.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Hmmm, who could have predicted he wouldn't actually be 22 year old magic at 19, and wouldn't move heaven and earth to make this a playoff team. No one could have possibly foreseen this outcome

Soviet Space Dog
May 7, 2009
Unicum Space Dog
May 6, 2009

NOBODY WILL REALIZE MY POSTS ARE SHIT NOW THAT MY NAME IS PURPLE :smug:

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Reading the box score....Alonzo....bad?

he's a short slow point forward not a point guard

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Oh no, Luke. Everyone is blaming him in this tweet. :(

https://twitter.com/LakerFilmRoom/status/921234060516605952

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Memnaelar posted:

I know hot takes are dime a dozen after exactly three nights of ball, but based on seeing Fultz last night and Ball tonight, I'm not second-guessing anything if I'm the Sixers, regardless of already having Ben Simmons and Fultz's shoulder making his FTs look terrible. Lonzo just doesn't look like he is anywhere near an NBA athlete and while Fultz is still pretty raw, the way he was going to the hole and making plays inside didn't leave me with any questions about his upside.

I wish I could tell you that no one really considered there to be much of a debate between Fultz and Lonzo but I had to read it constantly for six months, and it wasn't even limited to UCLA fans ruining every Lakers related website last year. People made the argument in plenty of draft forums and someone was even trying to sling it in the draft thread this year here.

I still wonder what it was that Boston asked for from the Lakers for the pick swap (since even the Lakers recognized that Fultz was a talent when they worked him out), although even the best Lakers package couldn't match what the Sixers were able to give up rather easily.

Kibner posted:

Oh no, Luke. Everyone is blaming him in this tweet. :(

https://twitter.com/LakerFilmRoom/status/921234060516605952

There are things that I predict that I wish I wasn't right about. Lakers Film Room is the worst though, the font of a lot of bad Lakers fans opinions.

Rick fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Oct 20, 2017

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

N: https://twitter.com/anthgaston/status/921209910318239745

V: Luke Walton is going to die for LaVar Ball’s sin of hubris, what a shame

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Maybe he'll do better against not the cruelest defensive point guard in the league

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

This OKC box score is all kinds of wacky. Adams with 5 steals? Russ with the high rebounds at 10 (okay yeah I know this isn't abnormal)? Did these guys forget what positions they play?

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Rick posted:

There are things that I predict that I wish I wasn't right about. Lakers Film Room is the worst though, the font of a lot of bad Lakers fans opinions.

Man, reading through the comments there and then scrolling through his feed... What a schmuck.

My favorite is his retweeting some dude making fun of Fultz's FT form last night. Glass houses, man.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Boosh! posted:

Tonight is probably the worst he can play though. Usually the offense is unstoppable but Adams literally knows his every move and is bigger and stronger to boot. He's going to be real bad on defense but he's pretty not going to look this helpless offensively outside of matchups with his big bro

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I'm sure Ball will be good and all but I was kind of surprised at how slow he looks offensively. He wasn't close to beating Beverly off the dribble and even Austin Rivers locked him down on the possessions I saw. Part of it might be that he looked completely shook but it's a pretty stark contrast speed wise from what I saw from Fox last night.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Niwrad posted:

I'm sure Ball will be good and all but I was kind of surprised at how slow he looks offensively. He wasn't close to beating Beverly off the dribble and even Austin Rivers locked him down on the possessions I saw. Part of it might be that he looked completely shook but it's a pretty stark contrast speed wise from what I saw from Fox last night.

Why would you be sure he'll be good? Has he honestly really demonstrated anything to make you think that beyond the hype train? This is not just me being a dick, I watched him in college and even there I thought "great college player but I'd be shocked if he really makes it". I've thought that for months and months.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/theastroJoker/status/921233704541761537

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Carlosologist posted:

N: https://twitter.com/anthgaston/status/921209910318239745

V: Luke Walton is going to die for LaVar Ball’s sin of hubris, what a shame

DO IT. loving DO IT. BITE MY NECK. YOU WONT WILL YOU, YOU DONT HAVE THE RAGU TO DO IT.

didnt think so

but it was real predictable that ball is going to get disrespected until he proves himself, if he ever does

• Locked thread