Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Leavemywife posted:

Cube and The Cell are totally different movies.

The novel I think about every time I think about Cube is William Sleator's House of Stairs. (It wasn't hard to Google I'd just never bothered to before :shrug:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Leavemywife posted:

Cube and The Cell are totally different movies.

Likewise, Cube and The Cube are different movies.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Likewise, Cube and The Cube are different movies.

Likewise, Cell and The Cell are also different movies.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Cube is good. The sequels are less so.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Gleaming the Cube is the only cube movie worth watching.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Also none of those films are the actor Cuba Gooding Jr., despite popular misconception.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
Wait, are you prepared to pitch “Cuba Gooding Jr.: The Movie”? because it might be okay. Especially if it was done artfully.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Speaking of Cuba Gooding Jr., it took me far too long to realize that he and Donald Faison were different people.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

mods please Hypercuba Gooding Jr. TIA

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Leavemywife posted:

Speaking of Cuba Gooding Jr., it took me far too long to realize that he and Donald Faison were different people.

Short of not being able to tell black people apart I don't know how you could explain this.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

kazil posted:

Short of not being able to tell black people apart I don't know how you could explain this.

This is something awful so that's the explanation, congrats

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I once had that with Tim Meadows and Don Cheadle and to this day I still don’t know how that was possible.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

fruit on the bottom posted:

I once had that with Tim Meadows and Don Cheadle and to this day I still don’t know how that was possible.

Mean Girls was a very confusing movie for a lot of people in my life.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

ishikabibble posted:

FOB means foreign born and raised and immigrated to a new country, ergo literally 'fresh off the boat' from when the majority of transcontinental travel was done by boat and if you were moving to a new country, you did it by boat.

It specifically means people who are new to the country who have yet to understand or adopt the minute social decorum and act in such a way that they're obviously not native.

also would like to add that it's a mean thing to call someone (not saying that you're implying otherwise, just stating that)

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Barudak posted:

Mean Girls was a very confusing movie for a lot of people in my life.

Yeah, I dunno. At that time I’d seen Don Cheadle in like Hotel Rwanda and that was about it it but I knew the name, but I’d somehow seen Tim Meadows in like 10 different things without knowing his name so I guess my brain just put them together.

If you’d shown me a picture side by side I would have figured it out right away, but for few years they were all Cheadle to me.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Cheadle by the Dozen is my follow up to the Cuba Gooding movie btw.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

kazil posted:

Honestly couldn't tell you. For whatever reason, those two became the same person in my mind.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I was watching a documentary about the Romanoff monarchs of Russia with my wife the other day and they were talking about how Catherine the Great loved her gardens and tried to woo the great British designer Capability Brown over to create wonderful gardens for her.

It was then that I finally got a 20+ year old joke from the Discworld novels, which is that the Ankh-Morpork designer Bloody Stupid Johnson was based on a real-world person and not just a random goof.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

"turns out there is such a thing as a free launch" is just about the finest wordplay I've ever encountered.

Content wise, I wrote out "to give us some piece of mind" the other day and immediately realised it was wrong. Thankfully homonyms and all so I never embarrassed myself.

Think my brain was mixing up "a piece of my mind" or something.

Peace of mind. Obviously.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Memento posted:

I was watching a documentary about the Romanoff monarchs of Russia with my wife the other day and they were talking about how Catherine the Great loved her gardens and tried to woo the great British designer Capability Brown over to create wonderful gardens for her.

It was then that I finally got a 20+ year old joke from the Discworld novels, which is that the Ankh-Morpork designer Bloody Stupid Johnson was based on a real-world person and not just a random goof.

Is it because of the name "Capability"? What's the connection? What went wrong with the gardens?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

syscall girl posted:

Is it because of the name "Capability"? What's the connection? What went wrong with the gardens?

Just the name, I think.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

syscall girl posted:

Yes, "Bloody-Stupid" is a direct play against "Capability"

Capability was renown for landscape design, creating some intricate and ingenious gardens. Bloody-Stupid was so bad at creating gardens it became a kind of greatness itself (some parts of his gardens were inadvertently lethal).

Capability also dabbled in architecture, so also Bloody-Stupid fancied himself one as well, but he was worse at that than he was at landscaping.

Ultimately it just a clever little joke that lends cohesion across the different books giving Discworld some narrative depth.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Bloody-Stupid's initials are also the reverse of Johann Sebastian Bach.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Bloody-Stupid's initials are also the reverse of Johann Sebastian Bach.

The wiki Tiggum linked mentioned that and a bunch of other interesting stuff.

I just learned what a Ha-ha is, as well as why building one 50 feet deep is bloody stupid.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
Apparently the (edible) green substance in a lobster is called "tomalley", not "tamale". I always wondered what it had to do with corn husks.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

syscall girl posted:

I just learned what a Ha-ha is, as well as why building one 50 feet deep is bloody stupid.

:same:

The Something Awful Forums > Main > Post Your Favorite (or Request): Coldly Compiled Lists > Stuff You Can't Believe You Just Figured Out: Wikipedia deep-dives itt

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
As a landscape architecture graduate, I find this turn of the conversation to be welcome yet strange. SA is the last place I would have expected Capability Brown or Ha-has to turn up. I love this place.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
NEWS is an acronym for Notables Events Weather and Sports

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Ein cooler Typ posted:

NEWS is an acronym for Notables Events Weather and Sports

nope

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I just bought a notable event weather computer.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I once heard a rumor it stood for North East West South, but it was a pretty suspect rumor so I doubt it.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Besesoth posted:

Apparently the (edible) green substance in a lobster is called "tomalley", not "tamale". I always wondered what it had to do with corn husks.

Actually it’s guacamole

burial
Sep 13, 2002

Choco1980 posted:

I once heard a rumor it stood for North East West South, but it was a pretty suspect rumor so I doubt it.

We must have had the same first-grade teacher.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Choco1980 posted:

All these stupid false etymologies depend on both the spreader and the spreadee not knowing one of the other 40000 languages where the word for news is also derived from (their) word for new. Unless of course they considered it possible that English was the only language with a word for news that looks like it was simply derived from new but wasn't.

I guess a lot of English-speakers would consider it possible, at least if Bill Bryson wrote it down as fact and I'm sure he may have.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I think it was a joke.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

I think it was a joke.

Perhaps, if you go by Readers' Digest's definition of joke instead of the normal one that implies there's at least a smidgeon of humour involved.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

Jerry Cotton posted:

Perhaps, if you go by Readers' Digest's definition of joke instead of the normal one that implies there's at least a smidgeon of humour involved.

If you haven’t ever chuckled at any of the joke-y bits of Reader’s Digest, you haven’t been stranded at a rural garage for anywhere near long enough to break.

You win.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

lemon-lyme disease posted:

If you haven’t ever chuckled at any of the joke-y bits of Reader’s Digest, you haven’t been stranded at a rural garage for anywhere near long enough to break.

You win.

Or a doctor's office with no phone reception and a 20 minute wait :suicide:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

syscall girl posted:

The wiki Tiggum linked mentioned that and a bunch of other interesting stuff.

Why is it stupid? It should be 500 feet right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burial
Sep 13, 2002

Intoluene posted:

Or a doctor's office with no phone reception and a 20 minute wait :suicide:

You get it. Maybe. 20 minutes is nothing in the world of rural car repair.