Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

who cares about these one off civ DLCs when the base game is still so broken?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
If they're going to make new Civs to distract me from the horrible bugs I wish they'd at least give them new exciting abilities instead of "+1 faith when adjaci'm bored already" tweaks

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Efexeye posted:

who cares about these one off civ DLCs when the base game is still so broken?

I do! I like new civs.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Give them your money then, I guess.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

It's even more fun to try to out-manuever an opponent that actually has a chance to win.

If you're good enough at the game that you have a 100% winrate on deity, then perhaps you've played the game for long enough.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Okay, the whole sea-farm unique improvement is kinda cool.

I would also like the patch notes now Firaxis.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Live stream just ended.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
Firaxis did a live stream thing. Some highlights include:

-About one third of the civs in a game will not care about religion. This will make it easier for the player to found religions (and will probably make the AI a bit harder I'm guessing).
-New religion lens looks very good, shows clearly how religions are pressuring a city.
-Trade routes now put religious pressure on cities like in Civ V.
-RELIGIOUS UNITS ARE NOW ON A SEPARATE LAYER, HOORAY!
-Warrior monks are purchased with faith and can spread religion through winning regular combats.
-Diplomacy UI has received an update, as has trade route UI (to show religious pressure from a route).
-Stronger naval presence for AI.

Looks like a very good update I have to say.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Mymla posted:

If you're good enough at the game that you have a 100% winrate on deity, then perhaps you've played the game for long enough.

quote:

Mymla posted:

Hot take: I think fighting off the AI with just a few units in civ 5/6 is fun.

Maybe you're not super great at strategy games and are amused by fun AI roleplaying and pulling off sweet tactical wins with a few units, which is exactly the target audience the Firaxis devs were going for with Civ 5 / Civ 6.

Enjoy the fun while it lasts, for many gamers it gets really dull and samey really quickly.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Elias_Maluco posted:

In my experience in Civ 5 the most efficient way to play pacifist is to have a huge rear end army. Nobody will attack you, ever
This is even more hilarious with Autocracy and Gunboat Diplomacy basically giving you uncontested control of the UN later in the game.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Elias_Maluco posted:

In my experience in Civ 5 the most efficient way to play pacifist is to have a huge rear end army. Nobody will attack you, ever

And the easiest/cheapest way to do that was be buddies with a few military city states so they just gave you a giant army.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I'm unsure about the new diplomatic screen. It shows the same information as before, just less cluttered, which is nice, but that's not the main issue with that screen. The real issue is that the current diplomacy screen does not allow itself to be accessed if another civ asks you for friendship. We don't know if they've fixed that, but if they haven't then the new diplomatic UI is pointless, and the devs totally missed the mark.

Guess which of these scenarios I'm guessing is true.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Alkydere posted:

Okay, the whole sea-farm unique improvement is kinda cool.

I would also like the patch notes now Firaxis.

I'd like them to just bring back regular sea improvements from Alpha Centauri/Beyond Earth outright.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

The thing is that sea-steading in a quasi-historical system is kinda hard to justify unless you start pushing into future stuff, like Civ IV did.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Mymla posted:

The problem was I only got 10 hours of play out of it and it literally doesn't matter which civ I play or am against. It's a bad game.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Eric the Mauve posted:

There's a popular Civ 4 mod that does passive dispersion of tech... like once X% of the civs know a tech everyone else researches it Y% faster and it scales up the more civs that learn it. It's intended to prevent the failure state of falling behind by an era and a half in tech and being a dead civ walking, just waiting for the stronger civs to divvy up your cities.

Technically this is a feature of the base game, not sure if you're talking about a mod that amped it up or what. But IIRC in IV if you had met other Civs that knew a tech you got a (small, but increased for each civ that knew it) bonus when researching it.

This page seems to agree, in the part labeled "Calculating the Known Civilizations w/ Tech modifier".

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
The patch is now available on Steam.

quote:

[NEW]
Khmer
Civ Unique Ability: Grand Barays - Farms provide +2 Food if adjacent to an Aqueduct. +3 Faith and +1 Amenity to each city with an Aqueduct.
Jayavarman VII Unique Ability: Monasteries of the King - Holy Sites provide +2 Food and +1 Housing if placed on a river. Holy Sites provide a culture bomb.
Domrey: Unlocks with Military Engineering technology. Unique Medieval era siege unit. Can move and shoot in the same turn and exerts zone of control.
Prasat: Same yield as Temple. Missionaries purchased in this city receive the Martyr promotion. +1 Relic slot.
Indonesia
Civ Unique Ability: Great Nusantara - Minor Adjacency for Coastal tiles to Holy Site, Campus, Industrial Zone, and Theater Square. +1 Amenity to each Entertainment Complex adjacent to a coastal tile.
Gitarja Unique Ability: Exalted Goddess of the Three Worlds - Naval units can be purchased with Faith. Religious units pay no movement to embark or disembark. +2 Faith to City Centers that are adjacent to Coast.
Jong: Replaces Frigate. Unlocks with Mercenaries civic. +1 Movement. All units in formation inherit movement speed. +5 to combat when in a formation.
Kampung: Unique improvement placed on Coastal tiles that are adjacent to a sea resource. +1 Housing. +1 Production. +1 Food for each adjacent Fishing Boat. More Housing, Production, and Tourism as you advance through the game.
Angkor Wat Wonder
+1 Population in all Current Cities when built. +1 Housing in all cities. Must be built adjacent to an Aqueduct district.
Ha Long Bay Natural Wonder
Two tile natural wonder that can be found on coastal terrain and provides +3 Food, +1 Production, and +1 Culture. +15 Combat Strength when defending in this tile.
‘Path to Nirvana’ Scenario
The lands around the Indian Ocean flourish with many religions and many people. Heaven has chosen you to bring the light to all these lands. Is your faith up to the challenge? Can you convince the people of Southeast Asia to follow your religion? In this 50 turn scenario, compete to have the most followers of your religion, the most faith per turn, and the most foreign cities following your religion.

[RELIGION UPDATE]
Overhauled “Religion Lens”
All religious units move on their own layer (similar to Trade Units and Spies)
Switched to unique unit flag backing for religious units
Display religion (if applicable) for a unit to be purchased with Faith
Added the ‘Condemn Heretic’ unit action to allow military units to eliminate religious units in their tile, similar to pillaging a trade route
Added Religion indicators to unit flags
Religious units now exert Zone of Control and receive Flank and Support bonuses in religious combat
Added two new Pantheons, two new Founder Beliefs, two new Follower Beliefs, two new Enhancer Beliefs, and two new Worship Beliefs (with new buildings)
Follower Belief “Warrior Monks” unlocks the new Warrior Monk unit, a medieval land combat unit with its own promotion tree that is purchased with Faith
Added the Guru religious support unit, which can heal nearby religious units
Improved long-term usefulness of Missionaries by giving their spread religion ability 10% eviction of all other religions
Gave nine existing leaders the LOW_RELIGIOUS_PREFERENCE trait so they are unlikely to push hard for a religion, making it easier for players to get one on high difficulties
Added Unit Action tooltip to show you how many followers you’ll have in a city after you spread religion there
Adding religious pressure to both ends of a trade route:
Destination city gets 1 pressure per turn of the origin city's majority religion (if it has one). This is the same amount as if that city was close by.
Origin city gets 0.5 pressure per turn of the destination city's majority religion (if it has one)
Added 8 new Relics

[UI ENHANCEMENTS]
Updated Diplomacy screens to improve readability and usability
Trade Overview: Available Routes tab will now show all possible routes between two cities regardless if the origin city has a trader located at it
New medallion style art for Great People
Capital icons now appear on city banners in espionage chooser menu
Rest & Repair actions inform you if you can’t heal due to a missing Strategic Resource
Changed sort order for gossip so most recent messages are shown first
Ensure plot tooltips show up after mousing over 2D icons in same plot
Trade route chooser now sorts routes when filtered by a yield
Lots of changes to make assorted UI screens more moddable/extensible

[AI TUNING]
Improved AI’s naval gameplay, including protection and healing of naval units, building a proper navy, and assaulting coastal cities
AI will attempt to re-convert its holy cities
AI will no longer commit to battles they cannot win
Improve AI city and district placement
Improved AI’s valuation of great works
Improved Scout’s drive to explore Tribal Villages
Improved siege attacks
Adjusted religious strategies, preventing large hordes of units going to the same, distant city
New AI support for Religious Heal and Condemn Heretic actions
Improve AI use of Inquisitors
Money Grubber agenda is no longer as sensitive to fluctuations in income

[MULTIPLAYER]
Ongoing stability improvements

[BALANCE CHANGES]
Removed some of the least useful Gossip messages to improve signal to noise:
Buildings constructed if from 2 eras earlier than the constructing player's current era
Civic cultivated if from 1 era earlier than developing player's current era
Influenced city-state if not tied or higher than all other players
Land unit promoted if only to Level 2
Naval unit promoted if only to Level 2
Policy slotted if unlocked from a Civic that is 2 eras earlier than slotting player's current era
Tech researched if from 1 era earlier than researching player's current era
Move +1 embark speed from Cartography to Square Rigging
Allow friendly or allied spies to escape just before a nuke is detonated on a city they are in. All other spies are still killed.
Add Guilds as a prereq for Humanism so you have Theater Square before Museums
Change the Civic prereqs between Industrial and Modern so Zoo is required before Stadiums
Religious Idols Pantheon belief is now +2 Faith per mine instead of +1
Persian Immortal unit now behaves primarily as a melee unit with a ranged attack ability

[BUG FIXES]
AI will now recruit Great People when they take control of a human's game in MP
Fixed an issue where AI would trade invalid items
Fixed issues where AI appears to refuse their own deal proposals
Corrected an error that made the AI very unlikely to agree to alliances
Added missing description text for Broadway (+20% Culture for the city)
Fixed Colonial Taxes to be the listed 25% boost
Fix player being able to make peace with city states while at war with the suzerain
Pillaged districts no longer provide adjacency yields and they drop adjacent Appeal
Fixed the Hanging Gardens not granting Appeal
Archery tech boost earned by a Slinger on defense
Unique districts don’t count twice for Mathematics tech boost
Fix Housing from Monarchy to properly be +1 for each level of Wall
Culture Bombs can no longer steal National Park tiles
Conquering a city with a spaceport under sabotage no longer redirects that mission at yourself
Captured spies are immediately returned when a player is defeated
Gold costs of delegations is correct at all game speeds
Properly compute foreign followers of a religion for beliefs that use this stat. Followers from cities that didn’t have this religion as a majority were not counted previously
Embarked combat units can no longer capture enemy embarked civilians
Additional bug fixes

[MISC]
Changed Jakarta City-State to Bandar Brunei
Added Motion Blur to leaders

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:
I have a Civ VI 50% steam coupon, add me if you want it. Free of course

steamcommunity.com/id/cerious

e; taken

cerious fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 19, 2017

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Did the Mac patch just drop at the same time the PC patch did?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

man, they really doubled down on the religion mechanic, eh?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i wonder if the AI contact interface would be improved if, instead of contacting you to inform you of it, since the game already displays hard values for what diplo modifiers you have, the base trade screen gave you a quick summary of what agendas they care about and how you're working with/against them. like just simple, "oh, it's you. while we do appreciate that you are <maintaining a large navy>, we would urge you to stop <trading with our rival>."

no more interruptions, no more annoying AIs contacting you to say "hey, hey buddy, hey eat poo poo" or "we are so glad you have chosen not to build nuclear weapons" in 3000 bc

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Okay, the new religious beliefs are kinda nutso.

Pantheon:
  • City Patron Goddess: +25% production for the first district you build in each city (helloo Hanse spam)
  • Earth Goddess: +1 faith on every tile with Charming or greater appeal

Worship Buildings:
  • Dar-e Mehr: +3 Faith, and then an additional +1 for each era since constructed or last repaired
  • Stupa: +3 faith, +1 Amenity (okay actually kinda tame)

Follower:
  • Warrior Monks: Warrior Monks

Didn't see anything new in Founders but I could just be blind.

Enhancer:
  • Burial Grounds: Buliding a Holy Site causes a culture bomb
  • Religious Colonization: If a Civ has this religion as their majority, new cities are founded already following this religion

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Music hype!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Imrh52y4kMQ

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I can't play for another couple of hours. Have these been fixed:

- AI asking about, and punishing you for your nuclear behavior in BC.
- Government legacy bonuses displaying incorrectly.
- Can you check the diplomacy screen before accepting friendship or deals when an AI pops up to propose them?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Alkydere posted:

The thing is that sea-steading in a quasi-historical system is kinda hard to justify unless you start pushing into future stuff, like Civ IV did.

Offshore fisheries. Worked for Call to Power - starts with nets, then fisheries in the Renaissance, then proper sea farming in the Information Age which is also when undersea mines start to appear.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Also smh if you don't clap and cheer at the Nubia happy part of the theme. It's like they want us to forget about the bugs and stuff with these beautiful and inspiring themes.

Edit: god dammmmmmmmmmn atomic khmer has a majestic ending.

turboraton fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Oct 19, 2017

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Playing on an island plates map with Indonesia, my thoughts so far:

-Kampungs are amazing since they make water tiles even better, which they get pretty good in cities with Harbors already.
-The ability to just buy a navy is just absurd if you get good early faith generation
-The civ's unique coastal adjacency bonus is even better than I thought. It's not +1 for having a coast or lake tile nearby, it's +0.5 per coast tile.

-Diplomacy screen is far improved, a lot easier to see details and there's an easy to see "relationship" button so more players might notice that tab exists.
-Diplomacy trade deals seem better/more reasonable. Not getting any of those "AI comes to me with a deal it hates" screens anymore. Still getting bum deals but that's because everyone's salty that I devoured Spain (see boats for faith being absurd).
-Religious filter far improved. Still not 100% convinced on the religious stuff but I at least have a better idea what's going on.
-Not so sure if the AI really is any better at all with naval stuff, I am seeing them build a few more naval units but it's kind of hard to really rate it if I'm going to just turn my faith into boats.
-Finding two natural wonders in the same turn while allied to Kandy with the 3x relic muliplier religion trait is loving hilarious, but that's just in general and not related to the patch specifically.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Peas and Rice posted:

Did the Mac patch just drop at the same time the PC patch did?

A patch. Not the patch, I don't think—the launcher version didn't increment, although the in-game version is reported as 1.0.167 (blahblah I forgot).

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Is anyone else having issues launching the game? I hit the start game (and even tried play now) but it just boots me back to menu. What gives?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

This UI is so bad. So many clicks just to see what tiles my citizens are working.

Trivia posted:

Is anyone else having issues launching the game? I hit the start game (and even tried play now) but it just boots me back to menu. What gives?

Try disabling and even removing all of your mods from your hard drive.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Yeah thanks, it's been so long since I played that I completely forgot I had mods installed.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
50% coupon for free

steamcommunity.com/id/cartoon

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.
Anyone know why the new civs aren't showing up on my new game list? Steam is showing the dlc installed.

E: Never mind. Turned them off and on again.

Tofu Injection fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Oct 20, 2017

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Well, I can say that this patch is on the right path. The UI is still totally useless, especially the new diplomacy UI; but at least I think we have something modders can actually deal with, unlike that last disastrous patch.

I give this patch a D+.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

The new diplomacy UI may be a bit click-heavy but at least it lets the player know the information is there which is a big improvement because the old diplomacy screen I only found the relationship bar by accident. It's likely not gonna get much better than that without a modder going axe murder on the diplomacy screen because Firaxis made these cartoony leaders and you are going to love them damnit. (I personally turned the animations off ASAP so I can get back to playing the game)

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Man, no wonder passive religion spread feels so weedy. According to the new lens, it would take hundreds of turns on standard speed for pressure alone to flip a city.

Why even have it in the game at that point?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I just played a continents game, and the AI built 0 ships.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Yeah, I thought it was because I kicked Spain's rear end so fast I hardly saw any...but it seems the AI is just as pathetic with ships as before.

Oh well, I'll take the improvements we got.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

According to the notes, AI siege abilities have been improved. Is it noticeable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

John F Bennett posted:

According to the notes, AI siege abilities have been improved. Is it noticeable?

Couldn't be bothered to test it again after the last two times, but a guy did a test using my setup:

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/2017-autumn-patch-ai-domination-combat-test.623569/

TL;DR: It doesn't appear any better than it ever was