Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Chris Ware is literature, sorry bro

Agreed. Jimmy Corrigan: The Smartest Kid on Earth is soul-crushing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Building Stories is pretty much one of the masterpieces of modern lit

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Take it to bss.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
If you hate Magic Mountain, you owe it to yourself to watch "A Cure for Wellness". It might be the best movie based on a book and hatefuck of said material that I've ever seen.

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

If you hate Magic Mountain, you owe it to yourself to never post in this thread again.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
lol gore verbinski

But anyway I’m reading The Little Friend, which is some Flannery O’Connor poo poo and I love it. The Goldfinch was good if a bit sappy but this is more my bag.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I'm like halfway through The Count of Monte Cristo and it is so damned good. I can definitely see why it's considered the epitome of both revenge and adventure stories.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Bandiet posted:

If you hate Magic Mountain, you owe it to yourself to never post in this thread again.

Magic Mountain has an actively evil worldview. It makes me incredibly angry every time I read it.

Alvarez IV
Aug 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
What would you recommend as drug literature to someone who has read all of the standards of it?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Alvarez IV posted:

What would you recommend as drug literature to someone who has read all of the standards of it?

les chants de maldoror

i'm not kidding

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Alvarez IV posted:

Aquarium by David Vann is pretty "dope".

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
protip: if you're high enough, everything becomes drug lit

alternative answer: narcopolis by Jeet Thayil

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Read the Rubaiyat, then The Blind Owl, then the Rubaiyat a few more times, then the Blind Owl again.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
basically, get high and read poetry

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
In watermelon sugar by Richard Braughtigan

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Cloks posted:

Aquarium by David Vann is pretty "dope".

please the new hotness is Blackwater by Michael McDowell

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
finished great expectations, he uses way too many words sheesh. "after applying his knuckles to my door and gaining entry to my domicile, he presently presented me with the correspondence he had thus delivered."

started love in the time of cholera, its pretty good so far. also started pale fire. pure genius just in the first few pages.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

derp posted:

also started pale fire. pure genius just in the first few pages.

I read Pale Fire last week and I already love it dearly, for all time

Zembla!

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

derp posted:

finished great expectations, he uses way too many words sheesh. "after applying his knuckles to my door and gaining entry to my domicile, he presently presented me with the correspondence he had thus delivered."

started love in the time of cholera, its pretty good so far. also started pale fire. pure genius just in the first few pages.

Dickens was literally paid by the word

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I just started reading The Metamorphosis by Kafka. I heard that it was a novella about a dude who turns into a bug. I was shocked at how straightforward it was: dude wakes up as a bug.

I had no idea that liturature was so ez

Edit:

Alvarez IV posted:

Philip K Dick is probably within that standard you already read, but it bears repeating. Through a Scanner Darkly is probably the best bet out of his cannon.

KirbyKhan fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Oct 19, 2017

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Dickens was literally paid by the word

thats literally a myth

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
Not having read any Saunders, I checked Pastoralia out from the library, and let me tell you, folks, it’s good and funny and emotional.

“The cave lady just called you a suckass” is pretty much a perfect line, to me.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Burning Rain posted:

thats literally a myth

I will loving fight you

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

smug n stuff posted:

Not having read any Saunders, I checked Pastoralia out from the library, and let me tell you, folks, it’s good and funny and emotional.

Definitely check out Lincoln in the Bardo. It's probably the best (new) book that I've read this year.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I think Tenth of December is ultimately his best book but short stories are always a harder sell

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

smug n stuff posted:

yeah i guess that tracks, for you.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I think Tenth of December is ultimately his best book but short stories are always a harder sell

i havent read that but i have read bardo (which is incredible) and civilwarland in bad decline, which is very good but so meanspirited that it starts to wear on you by the fourth or fifth story

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

smug n stuff posted:

That's bad.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

I have no pretensions of having "good taste," don't worry

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

speaking of meanspirited

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

On the other hand, it's good. Saunders gives a good chuckle-wince with some of his turns of phrase, and he also knows how to turn a knife on the last page of a story.

I'm still eyeing Bardo. First few pages made me feel like I should be giving it more concentration, so I shelved it until I've worked through enough backlog that I'm not reading ten books at a time.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Lincoln in the Bardo is a goddamn masterpiece

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I'm reading the Loser by Bernhard and it's better than whatever stupid poo poo everyone's talking about now

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Im reading Beauty is a Wound and its sorta mehhh. It's fairly loving wooden so maybe it suffers from a poor translation but I was expecting a bit more out of it tbh

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

derp posted:

also started pale fire. pure genius just in the first few pages.

It's a hilarious book, I wonder why it's not more popular. It could totally support low-brow adaptations too

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

CestMoi posted:

I'm reading the Loser by Bernhard and it's better than whatever stupid poo poo everyone's talking about now

Is that the one where a friend of the narrator has committed suicide.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Everyone's piano virtuosos but they all hate themselves for not being as good as the one piano virtuoso

Fodder Cannon
Jan 12, 2008

I love to watch Fox News and then go club some baby seals

Mr. Squishy posted:

Is that the one where a friend of the narrator has committed suicide.

That's correction, I just got it from the library but I'm gonna wait and finish magic mountain and cosmos first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooked on Fauxnics
Dec 23, 2013
I think the joke is that almost all Bernhard is about a friend of the narrator killing themselves.