Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Steve Yun posted:

Should I bother washing all these new delitainers I got if they were shrink wrapped

yeah i would, factories are rarely clean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

oh drat, i never wash those.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Eeyo posted:

How do you find growing potato onions? My folks grow garlic, but I thought they might like onions more since they’d be more likely to use them.

Have you ever had them flower? I came across this random person’s treatise on potato onions a while ago claiming that when they planted seeds from potato onions they got onions that were quite a bit larger than the previous onions. Plus alternate colors (red/white/yellow).

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jnqst7-9YfWFovhqjARtcZZVJC0TPzKsow_5mdAwnyA/mobilebasic?hl=en_US
I'm pretty sure I got my first potato onion starts from Southern Exposure Seed Exchange, but I've been re-planting harvested bulbs for a couple seasons now. I've also just put in a bunch of some smaller, shallot-like replicator onions from Baker Creek that they call I'itoi Onions and they're already going pretty crazy (although some of them have been dug up by rodents or something, which I haven't had a problem with with potato onions). There's are lots of other online places that sell heirloom onions, those are just two that I've personally had good experience with.

I've occasionally had perennial onions bolt, but never potato onions. I think the received wisdom is that they tend to go to seed the second season they're in the ground. So if you don't harvest and harden them before re-planting, they're more likely to bolt. That seems to be true for other perennial aliums, but I've never let potato onions self-propagate.

I've also never grown them from seed, just from starts. I'm sure you can selectively breed them to be larger. But there's always a lot of variability in bulb size even within the bunch from a single plant, and a lot of it seems to be due to the internal structure of the parent bulb rather than just genetics or whatever. Like take two bulbs from the same plant and grow them and one will grow into a bunch of tiny-rear end bulbs and the other will grow into a smaller number of bigger bulbs. I suppose it's possible there's something different in how bulb formation works for a plant from seed rather than a sprouted bulb, but without data on the subject my guess would be it's more about weather, water, and chance than anything else.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

SubG posted:

Because in 1968 McDonald's introduced the Big Mac, it had 'em, and the Big Mac became the best-known burger in the world. In '76 they introduced the jingle that mentions the sesame-seed bun and then it's all over bar the shouting. It's part of the public understanding of what a burger is.

Sesame seed buns and rolls were around a long time before that, and there are written references to sesame seed hamburger buns before then, but they appear to have had the connotation of being slightly fancy. Like using a sesame seed bun was a little upscale or exotic, something you'd do for special occasions or if you were trying to really wow 'em with your burgers. After the Big Mac everyfuckingbody was using them.

In theory sesame seeds contribute a little flavour, especially when toasted. But your typical burger doesn't exactly have a subtle flavour profile, so it's hard to argue that that has anything to do with their ongoing popularity. Nowadays it's mostly just because it satisfies expectations.

Hey, that's neat. I figured some place had set the trend, but I didn't think it was McDonald's, of all places.

Leave fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 18, 2017

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
I did a couple searches and didn't find anything. Any white rice suggestions on Amazon? I've been buying Lundberg rice from stores locally, and I've bought some of the other brands, including the cheap 10 pound bags from costco. I make rice pretty frequently these days to go with some makeshift Korean foods and I'd like to try something new.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Steve Yun posted:

Should I bother washing all these new delitainers I got if they were shrink wrapped

I don't know what that is, but I wash everything. But my wife says I'm a germaphobe. (I'm not, but I like cleanliness)

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
any recommendations for dish soap that wont dry the hell out of my hands? now that it's getting cold out my hands are quickly drying out and cracking from all the dish washing

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I use Softsoap Aloe and if it's gonna be a busy cooking day these things: https://m.costco.com/Kirkland-Signature-Nitrile-Exam-Gloves%2C-400-count.product.100127801.html

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

wormil posted:

I don't know what that is, but I wash everything. But my wife says I'm a germaphobe. (I'm not, but I like cleanliness)

As a resident of China, the place they were likely made: wash everything.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

For unimportant reasons, I have about fourteen pounds of (ground) coffee and I've already foisted coffee off on everyone I know. Other than tiramisu, what can I cook with it? I've also made coffee ganache as a truffle filling. I normally do my coffee desserts with espresso powder so I don't have to strain coffee grounds out of them, so I'm not sure what I can add ground coffee to.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
This will use uhhhh about a tablespoon, but they're really good https://www.traderjoes.com/fearless-flyer/article/993

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I regularly freeze ground coffee, so if you can't use it up, you can definitely store it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Just eat it by the spoonful like a real man.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Scientastic posted:

I regularly freeze ground coffee, so if you can't use it up, you can definitely store it.
I always keep the cheap, grocery-store-brand ground coffee that's keeping me alive in the freezer. Big can in the deep freeze, small can in the over-the-fridge freezer.

Bag up your excess coffee and drop it into the freezer. Worry about something else.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Throw a party, tell everyone it's Peruvian Black cocaine.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

Just eat it by the spoonful like a real man.

Just spoon it in and pour steaming hot water straight into your mouth.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I’ve had a zojirushi rice cooker for about 10 years now and within the last year or two, it just feels like it isn’t making great rice like it used to.

I want rice like I get at Chinese food places-white and fluffy, without being sticky. However I’m getting sticky rice, regardless how much I wash it, recently.

I’m thinking of just buying a $30 aroma and seeing how that fares.

Any opinions?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I've never understood people who use rice cookers. rice is super easy to make in a pot and the way my mum taught me always gives me white, fluffy and delicious rice:

two cups rice, rinsed until the water runs clear. stick it in a pan, and fill with cold water so that it covers the first small knuckle on your fingers. add 1 tsp salt, some butter, bring to a boil. once little volcanoes form in the rice and the water has boiled away, turn the heat right down low, pop the pot on a heat diffuser, stick a lid on (and aluminium foil under the lid to trap the steam in even better) and leave for 25 mins.

saves needing to have a clunky rice cooker in the kitchen. the only pro i see of having a rice cooker is it's "set and forget", but for the benefit of 5 mins, it doesn't seem worth it to me. but best of luck to you finding a new rice cooker that replaces your old one.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Thanks for the passive aggressive response, especially since you don’t detail the size of the pot, so your 2 cups of rice is meaningless in proportion to your amount of water.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

nwiniwn posted:

I’ve had a zojirushi rice cooker for about 10 years now and within the last year or two, it just feels like it isn’t making great rice like it used to.

I want rice like I get at Chinese food places-white and fluffy, without being sticky. However I’m getting sticky rice, regardless how much I wash it, recently.

Any opinions?

Hrm. Perhaps there's something gummed up in the, uh, steam release system? There are grommets and such that could have cracked after a decade and you might be able to order replacement parts directly from the company.

My zojirushi is like 12 years old and I'm still in rice-love.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Rice cookers are a whole different world of utility. Yeah, rice is easy to make in a pot, but rice is just always there, ready, and perfect with a rice cooker.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

moller posted:

Hrm. Perhaps there's something gummed up in the, uh, steam release system? There are grommets and such that could have cracked after a decade and you might be able to order replacement parts directly from the company.

My zojirushi is like 12 years old and I'm still in rice-love.

I’ll need to check this out-thanks!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Q8ee posted:

I've never understood people who use rice cookers. rice is super easy to make in a pot and the way my mum taught me always gives me white, fluffy and delicious rice:

two cups rice, rinsed until the water runs clear. stick it in a pan, and fill with cold water so that it covers the first small knuckle on your fingers. add 1 tsp salt, some butter, bring to a boil. once little volcanoes form in the rice and the water has boiled away, turn the heat right down low, pop the pot on a heat diffuser, stick a lid on (and aluminium foil under the lid to trap the steam in even better) and leave for 25 mins.

saves needing to have a clunky rice cooker in the kitchen. the only pro i see of having a rice cooker is it's "set and forget", but for the benefit of 5 mins, it doesn't seem worth it to me. but best of luck to you finding a new rice cooker that replaces your old one.

I've never understood people who...make these stupid fuckin posts

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Rice cookers are great, but I guess you don't want to make it seem like only rice cookers can make good rice? I mean in the sense that you don't want to scare off people from cooking rice.

Not that that was the sentiment of anyone or anything, but just in general. We're all helplessly shouting into the void here.

But on rice cookers: Have you tried using less water too? Or does it get kind of crunchy? I think soggy but still crunchy could be a symptom of a dying heating element.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Nm

wormil fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Oct 21, 2017

Qubee
May 31, 2013

nwiniwn posted:

Thanks for the passive aggressive response, especially since you don’t detail the size of the pot, so your 2 cups of rice is meaningless in proportion to your amount of water.

poo poo man, i didn't even mean for that to be passive aggressive. everyone in this thread is always nice, i wouldn't go out of my way to ruin that. i genuinely meant it as a sort of musing, the only pro to a rice cooker i see is the fact you can have it all automated, but the entire process only needs you to watch the pot for about 5 mins and then leave it to cook when you do it manually. as for the size of the pot, i've no idea. it works whether i'm using a small 2L pot or my bigger 5L one. it's magic and i just attributed it to motherly intuition, despite the two pans i purely make rice in having different widths and depths.

Eeyo posted:

Rice cookers are great, but I guess you don't want to make it seem like only rice cookers can make good rice? I mean in the sense that you don't want to scare off people from cooking rice

i mean rice is ambrosia of the gods, everyone should eat it. and if that means using a rice cooker, ordering it in, or making it manually, more power to them. i wasn't being elitist by saying people who use rice cookers are subhuman, or that the only true, proper way to enjoy rice is to make a rice paddy in your back garden and farm it from seed to crop and then cook that.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Q8ee posted:

poo poo man, i didn't even mean for that to be passive aggressive.

I mean, it wasn't really passive so good job?

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
So in the past I bought canned chickpeas and then added them to a simmering onion/tomato/spices/stock. I then cooked it down to the point where it was ready to mash.

Last time I tried dried beans in the slow cooker...not quite the same. If my goal is like a hearty, half-mashed product...what's the best method? The Indian spices in the pan with oil and the long route is a bit intimidating...

Qubee
May 31, 2013

i've had lots of good outcomes using a pressure cooker. i've noticed my vegetables end up being soft, but still retain a lot of their texture (ie it doesn't turn to gooey mush like what happens when you over boil it). same with beans, i've been cooking a lot of barley / lentil / chickpea dishes and the stuff always turns out the way you're wanting. soft enough to mash, but still has enough texture to be hearty and intact.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
The reasons to use a rice cooker:
-It frees up a burner on your stove.
-It frees up a pot.
-It's more consistent, especially compared to an electric burner.
-It can maintain the heat and quality of a cooked batch of rice for an extended period of time.
-The good ones play cute jingles when it's time to eat your rice.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

It's also worth mentioning that you can cook non-rice stuff or mixed rice in rice cookers. They can be pretty versatile.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Really, there's no reason to use a cooker or pots and pans at all when you can just use a big piece of bamboo tossed into an open fire.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Tendales posted:

The reasons to use a rice cooker:
-It frees up a burner on your stove.
-It frees up a pot.
-It's more consistent, especially compared to an electric burner.
-It can maintain the heat and quality of a cooked batch of rice for an extended period of time.
-The good ones play cute jingles when it's time to eat your rice.

And you can program some of them to make rice be ready at a specific time

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Peetown Manning posted:

So in the past I bought canned chickpeas and then added them to a simmering onion/tomato/spices/stock. I then cooked it down to the point where it was ready to mash.

Last time I tried dried beans in the slow cooker...not quite the same. If my goal is like a hearty, half-mashed product...what's the best method? The Indian spices in the pan with oil and the long route is a bit intimidating...

Make sure you don't add acidic ingredients to the beans before they're ready. Acidic ingredients supposedly slow down softening of chickpeas and beans.

Unfortunately chickpeas are one of the slowest cooking beans compared to black beans or even pintos. You should definitely soak them prior to cooking. Soaking for 12hr+ is not a bad idea; I usually start them soaking before I go to bed then cook in the afternoon on weekends or before dinner. I usually use a pressure cooker since I'm impatient and the results are pretty good.

Make sure they're in plenty of water too, some fraction can remain tough if there's not enough. Aim for an inch or so above the already-soaked chickpeas.

Pressure cooker is the fastest and pretty consistent, then covered pot boiling, then slow cooker. If you have some free time on the weekend, just boil a pot in the early afternoon until they're done, adding more water as needed. I'd guess an hour and a half at least, could be an hour or two more.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Tendales posted:

Really, there's no reason to use a cooker or pots and pans at all when you can just use a big piece of bamboo tossed into an open fire.

Look at this spoiled brat who uses bamboo like a rich person. Why not just grab your food out of the fire with your hands

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Add some tea to your beans to make them cook barely faster but improve their texture. Don't cook the actual leaves in the pressure cooker, just add them for a few minutes with the beans at the start. The slightly basic environment will improve their texture and lend a slight tea flavor to the dish - usually delicious, and very traditional in e.g. chole masala. Chickpeas in particular benefit; instead of getting mushy on the outside and staying slightly dry on the inside, they're evenly cooked throughout, firm but tender.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I don't have a rice cooker, but I do have a slow cooker: theoretically, could I do rice in that?

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Scientastic posted:

I don't have a rice cooker, but I do have a slow cooker: theoretically, could I do rice in that?

Yes, but it takes a dumb long time.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

nwiniwn posted:

Any opinions?

I can't imagine this hasn't happened in a year or two, but have you tried different rice crops?

Imo the zojirushi is transcendent compared to my old 30$ one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I can't imagine this hasn't happened in a year or two, but have you tried different rice crops?

Imo the zojirushi is transcendent compared to my old 30$ one

these are the two I’ve been using-the nishiki has been my mainstay for a while, but I just bought the jasmine to try it, and some problems.

I lost the measuring cup a while back, but I measure out 3/4 standard cup of rice and fill it up to the white line for 1 cup on the rice pot.