Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

breathe more oxygen Ippo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
The author had some health problems recently, right? That's the only reason I think this might possibly be legit.

If he was dangling Ippo's brain damage as an emergency out in case he needed to end the manga early, that'd really be :smith:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The famous Kamogawa boxing technique: Stop punches with your face

Yes I know the watermarks are disgusting.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Never stop headbutting punches Ippo, that's the way of the Samurai.

Good thing Kumi is a nurse.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Fabricated posted:

The famous Kamogawa boxing technique: Stop punches with your face

Yes I know the watermarks are disgusting.

It's like he tried to adapt Date's neck twisting technique and completely hosed it up. and also forgot that neck twisting became useless when Date went up against a better boxer.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Quality coaching

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
"Sometimes, no matter what kind of effort you put in, it just doesn't really pay off."

-Coach Kamogawa

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Bisse posted:

And there it is, Ippo is punch drunk and broken.

Agreed that the buildup for this was long but with a manga that's 20+ years running, this big a twist deserves to take some time.

I think this fight is very well written, even if reading through it on a weekly basis feels like a slog. Ippo should be outclassing this guy, but he's focusing on showing off instead of winning, takes some fairly weak hits because of it, and has now completely lost it due to his legit brain damage. Reading through the fight again knowing the brain damage is real, the whole thing makes a lot more sense.

The 'not fighting to win' angle makes so much sense in a competitive sport as well, it's a very good reason for Ippo throwing a fight like this. It's the only thing that would make him do something so ridiculously stupid as an advancing crossarm block when he's already taken two downs instead of just punching the other dude. If he's been training with this mindset for months of showing off, it also make a lot of sense that he's not listening to the advice of just playing safe and winning.

But sure, This Manga Is Just Bad!

It makes sense and it is effectively communicating what it wants to, the problem is it fits poorly with the dramatic tone of the series. This isn't, or hasn't been, a story about tragedy, dissatisfaction and failure. Hence the speculation that something has changed the author's outlook.

If not and he's going to pull through again, then it's rehashing a plot already dealt with effectively and with appropriate gravity, and undermining that gravity.

But that was always one of the problems with HnI, that it would go through a solid dramatic construction for a fight and then slather on another thick layer of guts at the end of the fight that ends up obscuring the real value.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I feel kind of sad about how things have turned out. And by things I mean the quality of this manga

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Turns out the New Dempsey requires you to be brain damaged before you can use it

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Was the new Dempsey even real or just a dying dream

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Peel posted:

It makes sense and it is effectively communicating what it wants to, the problem is it fits poorly with the dramatic tone of the series. This isn't, or hasn't been, a story about tragedy, dissatisfaction and failure. Hence the speculation that something has changed the author's outlook.
Idunno, this plot point has been built up for a very long time, ever since Takamura's retina problems. And it's a direct result of ippo's boxing style which has also been built up over a long time. Whatever is happening now has been the plan for a long time. Agreed that the tone is changing, but only because it's now affecting the main character. Other characters have had their dreams crushed regularly.

What i'm saying is maybe this is not a change in the author's plans, but in fact where the series has been going since the start.

EDIT: Also tbh this is a more interesting story than ippo taking the world title without any bumps on the way.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Oct 20, 2017

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

ippo: time to unleash, my secret new dempsey roll!!!!!!!!!!

*cuts to ippo leaning up in a hospital bed with a thousand yard stare, swaying back and forth slightly and drooling*

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
There's a scene in El Chavo del Ocho, this Mexican live action comedy about some kids, and one of these little jerk kids gets beaten up by the Chavo.

A little girl comes up to the dude who's all hosed up and says, "You got beaten up by El Chavo, huh?"

He says, "No, I was giving him narizasos en las manos!" Which is roughly "Nose jabs on his fists!"

That's Coach's good-rear end strategy, right there

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Good soup! posted:

ippo: time to unleash, my secret new dempsey roll!!!!!!!!!!

*cuts to ippo leaning up in a hospital bed with a thousand yard stare, swaying back and forth slightly and drooling*

:drat:

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Can we get a thread change to "Ippo's weakness: Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy"?

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
Don't worry he just needs more oxygen in his muscles

more yamato damashii

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i think he's going to be fine lol

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I think I'm going to dempsey roll you.:stare:

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
now that his brain doesn't need oxygen anymore he'll have more oxygen for his muscles

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

come onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn GEOOOOOOOORGE

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
which would be a better protagonist for a follow-up manga, Sendou (competent ippo) or Takamura (is takamura)

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Centzon Totochtin posted:

which would be a better protagonist for a follow-up manga, Sendou (competent ippo) or Takamura (is takamura)

10000000% Sendo.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Ippo's gonna fuckin lose

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
He's fine lol

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

cmon author don't pussy out now

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Jose posted:

He's fine lol

:agreed:

It's all a big fakeout, in chapter 2000 he'll probably use the New Dempsey and get an instant KO.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i'm so mad he's gonna be fine because of background npc #32 miyata's rival heart energy

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

After the whole 'if I lose again I'll quit' thing I can't see him actually losing here unless we're going in a weird direction, but it's awkward to watch.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Another new chapter.

Nothing happens!

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
If he animes his way out of this, just drop the manga.

Because clearly the author doesn't care and neither should anyone else if he doesn't follow through.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

He doesn't need to "anime his way out of this", his opponent is literally on his last breath and unable to move his legs. He can win this easily just by not trying to dempsey, and that is likely what will happen. Either way it will be a massive loss for him because instead of a triumphant return this match is an embarrassment and a failure for him.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Oct 25, 2017

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
people are too loving negative tho

having some drama is probably good, shows that ippo and coach get soem consequences for being flaming retards when it comes to fighting

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Bisse posted:

He doesn't need to "anime his way out of this", his opponent is literally on his last breath and unable to move his legs. He can win this easily just by not trying to dempsey, and that is likely what will happen. Either way it will be a massive loss for him because instead of a triumphant return this match is an embarrassment and a failure for him.

Yeah, but even if Ippo wins because Guevara falls down from pure exhaustion/damage, how the gently caress would George write away Ippo clearly being punch drunk? There's no way he's gonna be able to write it off as "well Ippo is completely fine and all those blatant symptoms he's been showing are just poorly timed coincidences."

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

The manga can proceed even if Ippo is punch drunk. He'll then have the choice of giving up boxing, or taking a big risk and going for the belt in the least number of matches possible. Unlike his opponents Ippo has never had anything on the line in his matches other than wanting to win, now he would actually be fighting with real consequences. It would also make him much more unlikely to win. It seems the manga is building towards because it's also had Ippo declare he'll give up if he takes one more loss. So whatever comes next is likely a match with high stakes that he's extremely unlikely to lose, and then it could go the Ashita No Joe way or he could still win, who knows.

Remember this is still the 80's where punchdrunk boxers continuing to box was still a thing. They also could still win matches.

But just to make it clear, I agree that if what happens is that Ippo beats brain dramage with yamato damashi, then this manga can gently caress off.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Oct 25, 2017

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
If they do take that route I can't possibly see how Ippo can take the belt with brain damage. They've established Ricardo Martinez as a god walking among mortal men and I just can't see a brain damaged Ippo beating him without some serious bullshit.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

CharlestonJew posted:

If they do take that route I can't possibly see how Ippo can take the belt with brain damage. They've established Ricardo Martinez as a god walking among mortal men and I just can't see a brain damaged Ippo beating him without some serious bullshit.
Hmm it's almost like this is a shounen where the protagonist faces a challenge where all odds are stacked against him.

Like, in theory, he could win by just Not Getting Hit. He could also win by using his fist to punch Ricardo hard in the head. Volg won his title match with one single well planned punch, but then a cheating referee happened.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Oct 25, 2017

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Wild Horses posted:

people are too loving negative tho

having some drama is probably good, shows that ippo and coach get soem consequences for being flaming retards when it comes to fighting

except we had that drama for like a year or something, i can't even think of the timeframe anymore, this has tilted to the point where it's either 'excessive' or 'all turns out ok because of an asspull'

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
The mangas not in the 80s anymore iirc and the coach would turn from "bad old fashioned boxing coach" to "legitimately heinous criminal" if he allows ippo to keep boxing

Ashita no Joe did this MUCH better where Joe managed to hide his symptoms and his coach was an insane drunk anyway and also it was more thematically fitting cuz Joe was suicidally depressed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Bisse posted:

Like, in theory, he could win by just Not Getting Hit. He could also win by using his fist to punch Ricardo hard in the head.

smart ippo inc

bet your house on ippo