Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I do hope I can figure out the road editor or other people can figure it out well enough to usher in a paradise of ala carte road downloads. I don't want to have to download some big road extension project just to get the 2 roads I want while having to scroll through 50 other new roads I'll never use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I just tried to load in to my city and it said it 'failed to load assets' and everything is missing and most of the mods don't work.

How long until I can play the game again? Or will I have to start a new city and hope the assets load?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

serious gaylord posted:

I just tried to load in to my city and it said it 'failed to load assets' and everything is missing and most of the mods don't work.

How long until I can play the game again? Or will I have to start a new city and hope the assets load?

Most likely you'll need to wait a week for bloody penguin to fix everyone's mods, gently caress around with your install, and start fresh. Such is the way of skylines updates.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Excellent.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Baronjutter posted:

I do hope I can figure out the road editor or other people can figure it out well enough to usher in a paradise of ala carte road downloads. I don't want to have to download some big road extension project just to get the 2 roads I want while having to scroll through 50 other new roads I'll never use.

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=1162138566

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Is there a way to roll back an update?

I get very little time to play this game as it is and I'd rather play it without the stupid electric cars and floating buildings than not play it at all.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

CO should get their poo poo together and give modders a little time to update their stuff before a new version, or maybe some of these essential mods have authors that don't have the time to constantly update and redo their mods? When basic stuff like building themes and rico don't work, what's the point?

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
God drat, I had just finished getting all the mods done. I didn't even loving play.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
We had beta access for more than a month but I guess not everyone was in it.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Sillybones posted:

God drat, I had just finished getting all the mods done. I didn't even loving play.

Citiesskylines.txt

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Is it just me, or was pretty much every interesting feature of the DLC included in the free update? As far as I can tell only the new buildings and zone types are in it, while stuff like the new recycling center and noise pollution mechanics are free.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

serious gaylord posted:

Citiesskylines.txt
A true successor to SC4.txt. Mission accomplished.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Is the new noise pollution system still dumb? Am I going to have to keep the no noise mod installed?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

ToastyPotato posted:

Is the new noise pollution system still dumb? Am I going to have to keep the no noise mod installed?

I think metro stations still are hell portals to the elemental plane of screaming so yeah.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

How's air pollution now? Can I zone one industrial building in a mixed-commercial-residential district without the surrounding area immediately becoming a purple hellscape brimming with plague and a yellowish miasma?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I think they only changed noise pollution.

Baronjutter posted:

I think metro stations still are hell portals to the elemental plane of screaming so yeah.

I still don't see the problem with this in theory, subway stations should be pretty drat loud for the buildings immediately beside it if only because there's a lot of pedestrian traffic. But yeah, the actual subway station itself produces noise pollution and I don't know if pedestrians do now or if it's only vehicles.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Pedestrians really don't make a lot of noise compared to cars and trains. I lived by a busy metro station and the people did not make any noise, it was 99% cars and trucks and buses going by. Human footsteps are not loud and most people don't just yell non-stop unless they're a drunk british tourist.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Baronjutter posted:

Pedestrians really don't make a lot of noise compared to cars and trains. I lived by a busy metro station and the people did not make any noise, it was 99% cars and trucks and buses going by. Human footsteps are not loud and most people don't just yell non-stop unless they're a drunk british tourist.

It depends on construction style I suppose, when I've lived near universities and bus stops I was able to hear the people talking outside of my apartment whenever classes started or got out, but could barely hear car engines because I never lived directly on the street.

I think that CO should just have a system where different buildings have different noise tolerances, so wooden low density residential will be affected by crowds of pedestrians but a brutalist 20 story tower won't notice a thing.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

turn off the TV posted:

It depends on construction style I suppose, when I've lived near universities and bus stops I was able to hear the people talking outside of my apartment whenever classes started or got out, but could barely hear car engines because I never lived directly on the street.

I think that CO should just have a system where different buildings have different noise tolerances, so wooden low density residential will be affected by crowds of pedestrians but a brutalist 20 story tower won't notice a thing.

That is definitely the way it should be. But even further, different buildings and different economic classes should have different tolerances for different things. High density building in general, aren't going to give a poo poo about living near a bus or train, and in fact, will likely prefer it. But rich people are probably going to be less tolerant of just about everything than poor people, who live where they live because they don't have much choice.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah the problem is really the whole building system in the game not really being set up to reflect that stuff better. It's really too simplistic and inflexible, everything is binary.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Is there a way for train tracks to work within roads? I tried taking the tram-in-avenue road and swapping the tram lines out for train tracks, but I couldn't get regular rails to mesh with it and it generally seemed to be a mess.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Ofaloaf posted:

Is there a way for train tracks to work within roads? I tried taking the tram-in-avenue road and swapping the tram lines out for train tracks, but I couldn't get regular rails to mesh with it and it generally seemed to be a mess.

I don't know about doing that in the road editor but you can make that sort of thing happen with road anarchy and moveit.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

turn off the TV posted:

I think they only changed noise pollution.

I still don't see the problem with this in theory, subway stations should be pretty drat loud for the buildings immediately beside it if only because there's a lot of pedestrian traffic. But yeah, the actual subway station itself produces noise pollution and I don't know if pedestrians do now or if it's only vehicles.

I think the point is that even if you have a lot of people, the noise doesn't actually get above a certain level because a non-screaming human has a pretty low maximum volume.

Whereas cars even with a low speed limit have a quite high minimum noise level.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I installed Traffic Manager and constructed my largest city to date with the best transport network to date and almost every fucker in this gay city decides every day to buy and use his or hers own personal car to sit in traffic jams all day long while people literally die around them :negative:

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Dongattack posted:

I installed Traffic Manager and constructed my largest city to date with the best transport network to date and almost every fucker in this gay city decides every day to buy and use his or hers own personal car to sit in traffic jams all day long while people literally die around them :negative:

Skylines is supposed to be a true to life simulation

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Quantum Mechanic posted:

Skylines is supposed to be a true to life simulation

this is true despair :negative:

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
I enjoy not being able to play every time there's a new update. It's a feature.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dongattack posted:

this is true despair :negative:

I like to imagine this is what most city employees irl think.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Are ya'll building highways and stuff or something? I rarely get much personal motoring in my cities, but I usually don't build highways and stick to 2-lanes and tons of bike stuff. You can have a super nice transit system but if you also have fast highways everywhere people will drive. You get the traffic you build for.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Trying out some :science: with rock props in the map editor.

Baronjutter posted:

Are ya'll building highways and stuff or something? I rarely get much personal motoring in my cities, but I usually don't build highways and stick to 2-lanes and tons of bike stuff. You can have a super nice transit system but if you also have fast highways everywhere people will drive. You get the traffic you build for.

I usually build nice road networks, but still have crap loads of public transit usage. Cims will gladly use public transit even if they can get around easily by car, you just need to design a good enough network.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 22, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Woah those rocks look great, what's the secret?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Baronjutter posted:

Woah those rocks look great, what's the secret?

It's a combination of TPB's larger rock props and Owl's surface rock pack.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Is the game playable again yet?

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

serious gaylord posted:

Is the game playable again yet?

Yeah, there's still a few mods like Rush Hour that are completely broken but I played it just last night without much trouble.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Baronjutter posted:

Could you post some descriptive pictures of some traffic junctions or whatever you are particularly proud of (so i can watch and learn)? Also do you/you guys use the Traffic Manager: President Addition mod or any other traffic mods?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Here's a city I had that actually made me mad there was so little vehicle traffic, basically no one ever drove because transit was so good and bikes were so good or they'd just walk.

This 2 lane bridge separating the two islands was by far the most "congested" part of the city but it did fine at 2 lane. You can see the very busy bike and transit bridge behind it handling most of the load.

4 lane avenues were fine, they can often be tricky in skylines to not turn into problems but with no little traffic they were entirely decorative here.

Even the suburbs had little vehicle traffic, and I even had a mod that made light residential more keen to choose car travel.

Popular entertainment district at night, empty streets, busy tram stops.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Can you post a screen of your transit line maps?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

ToastyPotato posted:

Can you post a screen of your transit line maps?

That's from an old city that broke like 3 versions ago :(
Here I drew something over top. Blue is tram, yellow is bus, brown is elevated metro.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
This is my current city with the Go Green or whatever expansion that's making me frustrated:

All the entrances look like this, heavily congested:

People literally die in this specific part of town cause emergency vehicles can't get there:

I have ferries travelling up and down the river, a monorail traveling along the 4 lane "vein" road going through the city and buses dividing the city in ca 5 segments between them with bus stops overlapping here at there so you can switch buses. But still only 1 391 people in a 104 838 man strong city use the public transports. Free ot free public transport seems to make very little difference.
I wish the game was a lot better at communicating to me what the problem is. Wonder a lil bit if it's the Traffic Manager mod, cause this is my first time playing with it.

Also i included this picture cause it's pretty HEHE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think your problem there is that roundabouts do not handle high volumes of traffic :stare:

You have shitloads of people trying to go right on the roundabout which means they have to drive across all the other lanes and exits to get there, put a bypass road in that connects the left side of the incoming road to the right road off the roundabout, or add more entrances to the city in general to put them below the critical mass.

E: Or I guess that's left on the roundabout in your case, I assume everyone's using left hand driving.

Roundabouts are specifically good for connecting a lot of low to medium use roads together without needing traffic lights, but they don't actually handle high volumes of traffic well because they clog the gently caress up real easily. Don't use them everywhere as nice as they are and keep them off your busy roads.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Oct 23, 2017