Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

lets hang out posted:

i started playing zelda 2

Zelda 2 is really great.

Tips: When you get to the end of a palace, you receive enough exp points to gain a new level. Don't clear a palace if you already have a lot of exp points. Do it when you have close to 0.
Use the Shield spell a lot. That even kind of makes Death Mountain easy.
Also don't attempt Death Mountain before clearing Palace 2.
Don't duel with the knights that have shields. Just jump and hit them in the head. You'll hit them every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Horizon has a supremely bog standard open world imo, and while it does all the tropes better than most of its contemporaries where it really grabbed me is in the turns the backstory takes near the end.

That game creates the most hosed up despicable villain in recent fictional history and you don't get to do poo poo about him because hes been dead for millenia.

Also precision. The W3 dlc should be tackled post endgame, with hearts of stone before blood and wine.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
TIL that there's a boss fight at the end of Kirby's Dream Course

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

some guy on the bus posted:

Zelda 2 is really great.

Tips: When you get to the end of a palace, you receive enough exp points to gain a new level. Don't clear a palace if you already have a lot of exp points. Do it when you have close to 0.
Use the Shield spell a lot. That even kind of makes Death Mountain easy.
Also don't attempt Death Mountain before clearing Palace 2.
Don't duel with the knights that have shields. Just jump and hit them in the head. You'll hit them every time.

Another tip, play on a system with save states and abuse them.

Also use a guide when you're stuck because some of the solutions to progress are obtuse.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

LawfulWaffle posted:

TIL that there's a boss fight at the end of Kirby's Dream Course
It's insane to me how good that game is.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I stumbled onto esoteric TES lore again and feel sad there are these grains of absolute entertaining insanity scribled in the margins of the annals of a soulless AAA game company that's never gonna utilize it to its full potential.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

VideoGames posted:

I adore Horizon Zero Dawn. I was utterly blindsided by it. I had no idea what it was (as I am pretty bad about reading about games that have yet to be released) and took a chance. It is a top five of all time game for me.

I utterly love the fact that some people do not like it. I am massively intrigued why and it then causes me to day dream about the differences in people and how experiences shape what we do and do not like. It is an interesting topic to me! :D

Horizon is the best version of open world checklist games like far cry, assassins creed, etc. Those games are extremely popular so it only makes sense that the best iteration of it is an amazing game. If you’re burnt out on the formula though it’s not adding anything new to the mix. I blasted through HZD’s story and really enjoyed the experience but I had no desire to spend any more time with the game. I can see why it’s one of the top 5 games of the year though even if it wouldn’t make my personal list.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

FactsAreUseless posted:

Have you played a lot of similar games?

I honestly have not. I keep thinking what would be classed as games like Horizon, and all I can think of is the far cry series (of which I have completed number 3) the assassin's creed series (of which I have an hour in Syndicate only) and Breath of the Wild (which I am playing on and off).

Zaggitz posted:

That game creates the most hosed up despicable villain in recent fictional history and you don't get to do poo poo about him because hes been dead for millenia.

I actually think this adds leagues and leagues of depth to the story. For me it was truly heartbreaking. That old world was not anything Aloy could save, it was her current world that needed her. Goodness the Horizon story is one of my favourite stories in video game history!

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

HZD's combat really clicked with me, I loved the mix of stealth and scrappy weapons and how things could go horribly wrong. The story is very good too.

I just wish it wasn't a checklist open world game, but at least you can turn off the annoying parts of the UI.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Watch Dogs 2 would have been a cool open world game if the multiplayer was more focused on messing with other players instead of killing everyone.

Stardew Valley is good and feels a lot more open than recent Harvest Moon games (or Story of Seasons, I guess.) I really like being able to play it on a handheld system.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Nina posted:

I stumbled onto esoteric TES lore again and feel sad there are these grains of absolute entertaining insanity scribled in the margins of the annals of a soulless AAA game company that's never gonna utilize it to its full potential.
There's a ton of philosophical and gnostic writing in TES, and its a shame that the games are heading in the direction of bog-standard fantasy instead of full-fledged insanity. I understand why, but that doesn't change that I want the weird stuff :(

It'd be nice if Bethesda could have smaller studios, maybe even commission indie studios, to make other games in the setting. There's definitely enough in the lore to support a surreal game laden with symbolism and it definitely isn't going to be in a major TES release.

Even within the games we do have, people have some interesting theories on the events that take place:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Didn't they just write all that to work OOC features like reloading saves into the gameworld?

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Todd Howard is a liar and a coward who doesn't dare put a timetraveling mechagod out to convince the universe it doesn't exist so it'll stop existing in his games.

haveblue posted:

Didn't they just write all that to work OOC features like reloading saves into the gameworld?

No it's entirely in-universe. There really is no metanarrative involved there.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

FirstAidKite posted:

Any of you ever play any Legacy board games? I've been looking at a few recently (Pandemic Legacy, Gloomhaven) and the idea is pretty cool. Legacy board games are board games that sort of evolve as you play them, changing the rules and adding new pieces and subtracting old pieces as you go through the various games, generally all based around the choices you and your group make. This leads to a game that is unique among your own group, a game where the events of the previous game carry over with all of the positives and negatives that that could entail.

they're a cool idea but it's pretty hard to find a group that wants to play pandemic every week for three months

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

haveblue posted:

Thats CHIM (as opposed to Dagoth Ur's proposed inverse-CHIM) and CHIM is pretty heavily debated. It's hard to say how tongue-in-cheek it is, but its always fun to say "CHIM!" when someone asks why you can pause a fight to drink 55 potions or whatever.

Every so often I re-read the 36 lessons of vivec, just for fun: https://www.imperial-library.info/node/1259/

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

dromal phrenia posted:

There's a ton of philosophical and gnostic writing in TES, and its a shame that the games are heading in the direction of bog-standard fantasy instead of full-fledged insanity. I understand why, but that doesn't change that I want the weird stuff :(

It'd be nice if Bethesda could have smaller studios, maybe even commission indie studios, to make other games in the setting. There's definitely enough in the lore to support a surreal game laden with symbolism and it definitely isn't going to be in a major TES release.

Even within the games we do have, people have some interesting theories on the events that take place:

:morning:

[dragon Bourne shouts the words]

:greencube:

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

The only time CHIM has actually come into play with out of game stuff was when it's used within Oblivion itself to reason why Cyrodiil is a temperate western european fantasy landscape when up until Morrowind it had been described as a jungle. Tiber Septim retconned the world with it.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Nina posted:

Todd Howard is a liar and a coward who doesn't dare put a timetraveling mechagod out to convince the universe it doesn't exist so it'll stop existing in his games.

No it's entirely in-universe. There really is no metanarrative involved there.

I don't know how you can say that when there's a whole book about Vivec loading up the Elder Scrolls Toolkit and deleting a netch farmer from existence.

The thing is they didn't JUST write in a few references, it's a whole philosophy scattered across an entire religion and all it's texts and reflected in a lot of the lore.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

they're a cool idea but it's pretty hard to find a group that wants to play pandemic every week for three months

I don't even know how many players would be required for pandemic legacy to play well.

At least with gloomhaven I think you can play that with 2 players and get by fine enough. I don't have a dedicated game group outside of KCB and while I know some other people who play games, said people tend to be too busy to play reliably and, in one person's case, inviting them along means inviting along their SO as well and he's just an awful tool of a person who is all about powergaming, backseat gaming, and constantly just picking poo poo up off the table to look at it even when he's not the one playing.

Also he's just a terrible person all around and KCB gets disgusted at the idea of him touching her games or my games.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Terranigma is a game with good music, here is someone's piano cover of a song from Terranigma.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4NQKYsY210

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Another tip, play on a system with save states and abuse them.

Nah, worst advice possible on any game. Just watch it on youtube instead if that's how you feel like playing it.

It's really not that hard!

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Help Im Officially the Owner of a Brand New Nintendo Switch :c00l:

i didn't buy any games yet but preordered Mario. Maybe I'll get Splatoon and Golf Story

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

nachos posted:

Horizon is the best version of open world checklist games like far cry, assassins creed, etc. Those games are extremely popular so it only makes sense that the best iteration of it is an amazing game. If you’re burnt out on the formula though it’s not adding anything new to the mix. I blasted through HZD’s story and really enjoyed the experience but I had no desire to spend any more time with the game. I can see why it’s one of the top 5 games of the year though even if it wouldn’t make my personal list.

I like comparing Witcher 3, Horizon: Zero Dawn, and Breath of the Wild, because I think they're the three best open-world games I've ever played, and they all do different things better than any others. Witcher 3 has the best quest design, story presentation, and writing; Horizon: Zero Dawn has the best combat I've ever seen in an open-world game; and Breath of the Wild has the most fun world to explore and best toolkit to let the player explore.

They all came out relatively close together and it's cool to see how the three of them seem to answer to each others' strengths and weaknesses.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

hmmm but only one game was directly inspired by any of those

nier a by witcher 3

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Nah, worst advice possible on any game. Just watch it on youtube instead if that's how you feel like playing it.

It's really not that hard!

Experiencing a game while "cheating" is still preferable to watching it. With really old games it's totally ok to do that.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I always wondered what was inside the DO NOT OPEN envelope in Risk Legacy

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Harrow posted:

I like comparing Witcher 3, Horizon: Zero Dawn, and Breath of the Wild, because I think they're the three best open-world games I've ever played, and they all do different things better than any others. Witcher 3 has the best quest design, story presentation, and writing; Horizon: Zero Dawn has the best combat I've ever seen in an open-world game; and Breath of the Wild has the most fun world to explore and best toolkit to let the player explore.

They all came out relatively close together and it's cool to see how the three of them seem to answer to each others' strengths and weaknesses.

I agree with each of the 3's strengths, they definitely are likely the 3 best open world games out right now in terms of each being the pinnacle of narrative, combat gameplay, and exploration

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

everyone gets a different set of cards inside but some of them are batshit insane, like Kojima levels of crazy. They are described here if you wanted to know
https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/7445/do-not-open-ever

DLC Inc fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Oct 20, 2017

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Nina posted:

Experiencing a game while "cheating" is still preferable to watching it. With really old games it's totally ok to do that.

I disagree. Cheating is bad.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

H:ZD was really pretty but the combat never clicked with me. I got to the part where you need to go and disable alarms surrounded by assholes and the third one has a giant flying thing and a million dudes and I think some flamethrower robodino too and it just sucked rear end, there was nothing I could do to keep from getting swarmed. It was like I went from rarely getting hit, definitely never dying, over the course of like six or seven hours, to getting killed within a minute of starting the mission every single time. I got BotW like the next week and it was really cool how I didn't need to spend a ton of time looking for yellow flags in the game world to find out what was a real wall and what was a set piece poorly designed as climbing.

I disagree. Cheating is bad.

this guy thinks some stupid Video Game Bushido is more important than the very real and very limited time you have on this earth lmao

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Bushido Blade was very important.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I love that this is even a thing, that there is a board game that specifically comes with a pandora's box and tells you not to open it but if you do you end up screwing yourself over (assuming you abide by the rules and use what's inside) by changing the game in a major, permanent way

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

food court bailiff posted:

this guy thinks some stupid Video Game Bushido is more important than the very real and very limited time you have on this earth lmao

A lot of people think hard games are a great way to spend our limited time on Earth. Dark Souls is very popular. :) Save states would kill the experience.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

A lot of people think hard games are a great way to spend our limited time on Earth. Dark Souls is very popular. :) Save states would kill the experience.

Dark Souls has ways to dynamically lessen the difficulty and it's really lenient about it. Most retro games don't have that.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

there's "hard" and there's "literally designed to be a huge pain in the rear end to gently caress over renters" and retro games are the latter - sorry bout yer dumb brain tho

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Lots of older games have designs and mechanics based on an arcade mentality of trying to get as many quarters from a player as possible. This means that their difficulty is specifically tuned to be generally unfair and punishing, not as a cohesive aesthetic choice like in Dark Souls, but simply to say "gently caress you, give me your money." (Incidentally this is the same design philosophy that people who are worried about game-mechanically-altering lootboxes are worried about.) Even when designers transitioned away from that actual mode of production, they either still carried that mentality or the games were still designed to be difficult simply to pad out their length and justify the high MSRP.

I think Smash TV has some neat stuff but the game is designed to say "gently caress you, pay me" and I have no qualms about saying "No, gently caress you, alter your memory addresses"

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

food court bailiff posted:

there's "hard" and there's "literally designed to be a huge pain in the rear end to gently caress over renters" and retro games are the latter - sorry bout yer dumb brain tho

Zelda 2 is a game I beat in a few hours recently after having not played it in 15 years. It is not Silver Surfer or Battletoads.

I think a lot of people who rely on save states won't even try things like using the Shield spell a lot or using the jump spell to get around enemies. They'll just try to brute force everything which is a terrible way to play and makes it a guarantee that they won't like it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Dark Souls, Zelda 2, there's practically no difference

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

raditts posted:

Dark Souls, Zelda 2, there's practically no difference

Zelda 2 is fun. There's that difference.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Speaking of Zelda 2, I think I'm going to read this book: I AM ERROR by Nathan Altice. A 440-page academic history of the Nintendo Entertainment system totally sounds like my jam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Zelda 2 is a game I beat in a few hours recently after having not played it in 15 years. It is not Silver Surfer or Battletoads.

I think a lot of people who rely on save states won't even try things like using the Shield spell a lot or using the jump spell to get around enemies. They'll just try to brute force everything which is a terrible way to play and makes it a guarantee that they won't like it.

some people have NEVER played zelda 2 and asking them to bang their heads against it and waste time because the save system dumps them back to the beginning every time rather than using save states, out of some misguided pride in being able to push buttons the best or whatever, is really dumb

• Locked thread