Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Szurumbur posted:

It's weird, I play a lot of games where violence is the only option, but killing the innocent, plodding Colossi just didn't feel right. Oh well, I still saved Trico.

I know they look innocent, but...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Honestly I think that Shadow of the Colossus response is reasonable, not everyone will feel that way but the fact that the game can make someone feel that means that its aesthetic choices worked

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Some of the colossi are meant to seem really imposing from the ground but then you get up to their heads and they're just big lumbering sloths with childlike features that you kinda feel bad for killing. That's a very deliberate artistic choice and one that I think is really effective in making the game's theme work.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

blackguy32 posted:

This would make sense if not for the loading screens.

The loading screens that go out of their way to point the player is not culpable, you mean.

People are determined to take those as a personal affront.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Finally got around to playing the Crash N Sane Trilogy.

I am just not digging it.. the amount of cheap deaths I am experiencing just due to lovely controls is making this game unbearable. I get it, that's how the game used to play, but just not enjoying the whole experience even though the game looks beautiful.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The second is a huge improvement. Jump to that if the first angers you.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Its not how the games played,they changed some hitboxes for the worst. I played the ps1 games on my vita to 100% completion,a feat I cannot recreate in the trilogy

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

poptart_fairy posted:

The loading screens that go out of their way to point the player is not culpable, you mean.

People are determined to take those as a personal affront.

wait, which ones are those?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
None of these strike me as an honest attempt to soothe or redeem the player

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
A lot of those are pretty clearly aimed at the player character, though.

I dunno. People are intent in taking spec ops critique a little too personally.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Oh yeah? It says right there

quote:

You are still a good person.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Fortunately I grew up in the 80's so I could play Doom on release. That way all violence in videogames for me is cartoonish and not "art". I only found violence stupid in God of War 3 because they're going for gore and trying to be seriuos with it, other than that, give me ludicrous gibs and eyeballs hitting the screen!

I played and beat Spec Ops: The Line and while I enjoyed it (the shooting isn't great anyways) it had some interesting stuff like the sand mechanics, the setting was cool and different and liked the ending(s). I even played a bit of the mp. Not a bad game, but nothing amazing too.

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Oct 19, 2017

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Godzilla07 posted:

GT Sport is a series reboot. The old Gran Turismo with its car collecting and extensive single-player has been replaced by a game that's focused around online racing. GTS is the first online racer I've really liked, with a great gameplay loop and its systems in place to get rid of the ramming garbage that exists in almost every other online racer.

Sounds lame

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

fruit on the bottom posted:

Oh yeah? It says right there

That quote definitely comes across more as a "keep telling yourself that" thing, though.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Guillermus posted:

I played and beat Spec Ops: The Line and while I enjoyed it (the shooting isn't great anyways) it had some interesting stuff like the sand mechanics, the setting was cool and different and liked the ending(s). I even played a bit of the mp. Not a bad game, but nothing amazing too.

The setting was def the best thing about it; like something out of a J.G. Ballard story.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Renoistic posted:

That quote definitely comes across more as a "keep telling yourself that" thing, though.

So how many americans have you killed today

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Everybodys Golf is fun but I'm about burned out on the courses. I only just unlocked a fourth one, and the beach and desert ones suck. It feels like they were designed by people that never actually played golf. Too many holes have no good places to aim,what with obstructions and ridiculous slopes and elevation.

The EA games included like, a dozen courses at least and those were licensed so they were expensive compared to just making them up.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I take back any poo poo I ever talked about SOMA, it's loving amazing.
If you don't own it, it's on sale now. One of the best games I've ever played.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Honestly I think that Shadow of the Colossus response is reasonable, not everyone will feel that way but the fact that the game can make someone feel that means that its aesthetic choices worked

Yeah, I could never bring myself to finish it. After two or three colossi I started feeling really disturbed.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

DrNutt posted:

Yeah, I could never bring myself to finish it. After two or three colossi I started feeling really disturbed.

So did I, but my reaction was more like that one "LET'S KEEP GOING AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS" meme.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Seeing a lot of suckers in this thread who don't love their dead girlfriends enough to kill just a few little colossi. Smh

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Darn tootin.

Play Observer next, it's on sale and almost as good as Soma. Both of them are probably in my top ten fav Ps4 games and have a lot in common (while being plenty different)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

Darn tootin.

Play Observer next, it's on sale and almost as good as Soma. Both of them are probably in my top ten fav Ps4 games and have a lot in common (while being plenty different)

I bought it yesterday 😎

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nice.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

hey so did anyone buy the evil within 2 and have any thoughts on it, in particular i wonder if there's a big seizure warning like the first game since multiple people told me to skip that one for that reason

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

UnlessI'm missing something, it's $29.99 on the NA PSN store?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

MeatwadIsGod posted:

UnlessI'm missing something, it's $29.99 on the NA PSN store?

Think it’s a PS+ deal

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it isn't. maybe it's on sale in eu but not in na

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Some badass PSVR gameplay I'm gonna whore out with me and Acksplode Co-oping because it took me over 20 minutes to make this last night. Are you guys ready to ditch the flat games and strap into the future yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxXhZgFBk1Y

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

yeah definitely, are you gonna buy me a psvr

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Arizona Sunshine looks really bad

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

In its defense, aside from the incredibly funny co op animations, it's only sort of bad. Solid 5/10

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

acksplode posted:

Seeing a lot of suckers in this thread who don't love their dead girlfriends enough to kill just a few little colossi. Smh

My favorite colossus is the one that literally doesn't try to attack you. The devs stopped giving any pretense at that point.

I remember showing the game to my sister and nephews once, and she decided the game wasn't appropriate for them, even though they were allowed to play CoD and Battlefield. I can see why, but it's still pretty funny.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Oct 20, 2017

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah but that was because killing people in shooters and lots of gore is okay for 6 year olds but the concept of a GF was too sexy.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Renoistic posted:

My favorite colossus is the one that literally doesn't try to attack you. The devs stopped giving any pretense at that point.

Which one was that?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

:yeah:

the truth posted:

Which one was that?

Maybe the sky wyrm?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

the truth posted:

Which one was that?

The flying worm thing. It's like a whale, minding it's own business. It won't attack even after you've started shooting it with arrows and stabbed it.

Hopper posted:

Yeah but that was because killing people in shooters and lots of gore is okay for 6 year olds but the concept of a GF was too sexy.

I think it was more the concept of climbing a living being (that's basically an animal) and stabbing it repeatedly in the head while Colossus juice is spraying like a geyser and it's howling and writhing in pain...

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Oct 20, 2017

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah all of your actions have consequences in that game and the game mechanics are all built around shoving them in your face.

Really though, grow a pair of big brass ovaries and go play that game dude, it’s top 10 GOAT for a reason

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well there's a remake coming out at some point so they could just wait for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Guillermus posted:

How does a game like The Line a) have multiplayer, b) do multiplayer?