Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008

The main thing I took from this post is that you have both a wife and a girlfriend. ToxicTonySoprano.

But you're right there's a couple of more playthroughs in there. The only one that is a bit of a hassle is the no mods one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

GulagDolls posted:

ah, I didn't mean that it wasn't foreshadowed or anything. just that it didn't feel very fleshed out? Like, it's pretty short and just consists of the robots summarizing what you did in a very 'video gamey' way. TALLYING GOODNESS POINTS....

Yeah, that's fair. There were definitely some things I expected to cause changes that didn't, like escaping the exploding station vs. staying and dying.

Clearly Prey 2 needs to be an Arkane/Obsidian collaboration :getin:

InAndOutBrennan posted:

The main thing I took from this post is that you have both a wife and a girlfriend. ToxicTonySoprano.

Yes. They have pretty different tastes in games, though.

quote:

But you're right there's a couple of more playthroughs in there. The only one that is a bit of a hassle is the no mods one.

I'm probably not going to do no-mods; that sounds more tedious than it does fun, honestly.

I think my next run is going to be Impossible (unless that gets too frustrating without psi powers to abuse), human mods only, kill everyone except Dahl and then escape with him.

If this doesn't get some sort of :wtf: reaction from Alex at the end I'll be very disappointed.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Oct 14, 2017

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

ToxicFrog posted:

Wait, what? I recycled all the stunguns I found because I found it completely unusable -- it takes so long to charge up a shot when you pull the trigger that by the time it actually fires, whatever you wanted to zap with it is right up in your face loving you up and you would have been better off using a shotgun.

Is this one of those weapons that's totally useless out of the box but becomes really good when upgraded?

Disappointing. :( I'll just tell myself that January killed him off screen when I wasn't paying attention and hope it works properly next time.

The stun gun definitely is great, did you try using it on larger enemies or operators? It trivializes a lot of the harder encounters

If you save him, Alex will show up on the bridge regardless of which ending you choose so your game was definitely just not recognizing that he was saved

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

The stun gun definitely is great, did you try using it on larger enemies or operators? It trivializes a lot of the harder encounters

I tried using it on the operators and mimics in Hardware Labs, but found that the lengthy charge-up time hosed with my reflexes so much I couldn't actually hit anything with it and eventually dumped it in a recycler in frustration. I didn't hang on to it long enough to try using it on a Technopath or the like.

quote:

If you save him, Alex will show up on the bridge regardless of which ending you choose so your game was definitely just not recognizing that he was saved

The weird bit is that it did recognize that I saved him at first, since he sent me a v-mail thanking me for saving him! So at some point it forgot, I guess?

Maybe he went wherever my golden pistol went when it evaporated into thin air just after I finished fully upgrading it :argh:

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Oct 14, 2017

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

the charge up time, even unupgraded, isnt such a big factor when it comes to technopaths, because, once you hit them with it they're stunned for a pretty long time. long enough for you to charge it up again.

when you upgrade it a bunch you barely have to hold it at all, which makes it nice for operators, although by that time i had force lightning

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Vakal posted:

Unless some DLC comes out that says for sure, all we know from the ending is:

That the Typhon made it to Earth somehow. That TranStar is a real company. And that Alex exists and had a sibling named Morgan that is presumably dead.

But, Alex does repeat the same line though in the ending - "we were so focused on putting what you could do into us..." which suggests that TranStar had really done experiments with Typhon neuromods. So considering that it probably means the Typhon probably did break out of a containment lab somewhere. It's just uncertain if Talos I existed or not.

The game is based on Morgan's memories, so most of the events in the game also happened in the real world. I take that as meaning that Talos I existed, Morgan agreed to participate in the simulation, Morgan built a bunch of secret Operators, the Typhon escaped containment, Morgan escaped from the simulation, and Morgan was able to deploy the Nullwave Device (because Alex is alive but would have stayed on the station if you blew it up).

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

ToxicFrog posted:

I tried using it on the operators and mimics in Hardware Labs, but found that the lengthy charge-up time hosed with my reflexes so much I couldn't actually hit anything with it and eventually dumped it in a recycler in frustration. I didn't hang on to it long enough to try using it on a Technopath or the like.

Don't use the stun gun on mimics, it's a pain in the rear end and not worth it. Use it on powered phantoms until you have other means to kill them, technopaths and operators always. Telepaths too if you're not fear immune and/or don't have psychoshock yet. If you have trouble aiming remember it doesn't consume charge until it fires, so hold it down in advance, then aim and shoot in one motion.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

using it to stunlock phantoms while turrets shoot them is a pretty decent strategy early on

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Hannibal Rex posted:

I wonder if it's possible to put Alex into his escape capsule rather than the safe room. Anyone tried that?

Yeah, it doesn't work.

He dies when you change zones.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Vakal posted:

And that Alex exists and had a sibling named Morgan that is presumably dead.

Why is Morgan "presumably dead"? IIRC they don't say anything about Morgan's condition or whereabouts at all. Maybe Morgan's off doing something important?

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Oct 15, 2017

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Vakal posted:

Unless some DLC comes out that says for sure, all we know from the ending is:

That the Typhon made it to Earth somehow. That TranStar is a real company. And that Alex exists and had a sibling named Morgan that is presumably dead.

But, Alex does repeat the same line though in the ending - "we were so focused on putting what you could do into us..." which suggests that TranStar had really done experiments with Typhon neuromods. So considering that it probably means the Typhon probably did break out of a containment lab somewhere. It's just uncertain if Talos I existed or not.

The ending is very similar to a plot point from a 2006 game called Breakdown where the main character gets sent forward in time by nukes and alien magic and they have to reconstruct his memories using a machine so he can save the world from the alien apocalypse. The intros are really similar too.

Dyz fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Oct 15, 2017

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Wafflecopper posted:

Why is Morgan "presumably dead"? IIRC they don't say anything about Morgan's condition or whereabouts at all. Maybe Morgan's off doing something important?

He's presumed dead because nobody mentions him and the last ditch effort to save humanity by granting a typhon empathy seems like a pretty important thing to be missing. Alex's constant speeches throughout the game trying to remind Typhon Morgan of who "he" is and saying "I just want my brother back" reinforce the idea, it seems like Alex is really desperate not just to save humanity but to get a Morgan-alike back in his life.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Started my replay (human mods only; everyone dies) and I just made it to the GUTS. This is refreshing my memory of the earlier bits of the game, and I can now pin down exactly when I started suspecting that I was actually a Typhon implanted with Morgan's memories after something bad happened to her: most of the way through Psychotronics, after seeing the Weaver and Volunteer 13.

I don't remember how much of this I consciously noted at the time, but Psychotronics is when a bunch of hints start getting dropped in rapid succession:

- Alex talking about how the Typhon don't have mirror neurons and thus can't empathize with other living things
- Audio logs and emails discussing the possibility of implanting mirror neuron analogues and human memories into a Typhon
- January commenting on your actions and conspicuously emphasizing that, unlike January herself, Morgan is human (a pattern that started earlier and continues throughout the game)
- Alex talking wistfully about his sister and regretting letting her get involved with the experiments

And then shortly after that you have the visions/voices when you touch a large mass of coral for the first time in the GUTS which just strengthens that theory.

TheBananaKing
Jul 16, 2004

Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world.
Smellrose
Is there any usefulness to the weapon fabrication plans or are they just there for ambiance?

I've never come across plans for a weapon before I've picked it up... Can you somehow fab them with better base stats or something?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

TheBananaKing posted:

Is there any usefulness to the weapon fabrication plans or are they just there for ambiance?

I've never come across plans for a weapon before I've picked it up... Can you somehow fab them with better base stats or something?
They're there so you don't have to worry about recycling/dropping your weapons accidentally, so once you get the plans you'll always have access to (eg) a stungun without always having to carry one around or store it in your safe. For instance, take someone like people in this thread who never really used a stun gun and then get get to the end of the game with all of its Operator swarms and find they really want one after all. Instead of having to have held onto a weapon you didn't think was particularly useful the whole game, you can just make a new one. And I suppose you could find the plans before finding a weapon depending on how you went, though the only "weapon" I did that for was the Huntress.

e: But no, you can't fab upgraded versions.

TheBananaKing
Jul 16, 2004

Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world.
Smellrose
Huh... The thought of dropping or dismantling my last copy of a weapon hadn't even occurred to me! Makes sense. I think it also adds to the ambiance in that it creates an obvious explanation for why there are so many weapons on board a space station. There's a note somewhere in the game where someone is chastising other station employees for fabricating too many copies of a particular weapon or it's ammo (huntress maybe?) because it was a waste of limited materials.

TheBananaKing fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Oct 20, 2017

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

And before they patched it it was actually far more economical to print a bunch of shotguns, unload them, and then recycle them then to print ammo.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I'm pretty sure they originally had some sort of weapon reliability/degradation mechanic similar to SS2 during development, which got scrapped at some point. Weapon fabrication is mostly a leftover from that.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Introduce weapon stacking like that 2D Serious Sam shooter from a while ago.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...
Just got through psychotronics and just wanted to pop in to say this game is real loving good. I'm loving some of the improvements on the genre formula like personnel tracking, modern engine tech that allows for stuff like variable lighting around phantoms, and honestly the detective mode/witcher senses psychoscope integrates so well into the genre.

Enjoying the humour that slips in too, like the room covered in "not a mimic" sticky notes.

Although if I have a heart attack I can safely blame whoever wrote the music, goddamn.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

hampig posted:

Although if I have a heart attack I can safely blame whoever wrote the music, goddamn.

Would you believe that it was Mick O'Gordon, the same guy who wrote the new DOOM soundtrack?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

aniviron posted:

Would you believe that it was Mick O'Gordon, the same guy who wrote the new DOOM soundtrack?

Also worked on the newer Wolfenstein games.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

hampig posted:

Semi Sacred Geometry is better than it has any right being.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahHW2yotVh8

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I wish this game had a post-completion unlock mode where you just get to wander around a pre-disaster Talos 1 with a master access card and go 'oooo, pretty'.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Would be a whole game's worth of work just getting the NPCs in routines and not leaving the station feeling empty & weird, but yeah, I hear ya.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Vakal posted:

Semi Sacred Geometry is better than it has any right being.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahHW2yotVh8

this got stuck in my head after having to redo the bar fight a couple of times. danielle sho's voice actress has a nice voice and there are a couple of catchy vocal hooks, so, yeah.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm on my first run just lifted lockdown. I haven't actually given myself any Typhon neuromods yet because it feels... like a bad idea. But I've nearly maxxed out human.

That said, the most useful power of all thus far is the ARTAX v1+v2. Gliding around in normal gravity is so handy. And I end up doing fancy jumps and shotgunning Typhon from mid-air 90% of the time now just cos it's cool.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Oct 30, 2017

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

MikeJF posted:

I'm on my first run just lifted lockdown. I haven't actually given myself any Typhon neuromods yet because it feels... like a bad idea. But I've nearly maxxed out human.

Mechanically, the only real difference is that turrets will attack you if not hacked and the Nightmare will show up more often. I don't know what the plot ramifications are because I've only done a high-typhon run, though -- I'm now halfway through a pure-human run, just made it to Deep Storage.

quote:

That said, the most useful power of all thus far is the ARTAX v1+v2. Gliding around in normal gravity is so handy. And I end up doing fancy jumps and shotgunning Typhon from mid-air 90% of the time now just cos it's cool.

Oh yeah, the v2 is an easy choice for "best chipset in the game". And you can get it the first time you visit the Hardware Labs if you know where to look! I did that on my current run, and while I'm not sure it's let me get into any places I couldn't have before using foam or the like, it's definitely made things a lot convenient.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Plot wise there'll be a line at the end and a short cutscene where you first install a typhon mod.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The difference is very small and I wouldn't advise missing out on those cool powers over it.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I've done a pure human and pure typhon run and it was baffling how much harder the later was. Not being able to hack or repair or upgrade and having the nightmare show up every ten seconds starts to hurt after a while. I was still feeling kind of vulnerable by the end (mostly because of how many psy hypos you need for pure typhon), whereas at the same stage I was just hammering everything with bullet time and fully upgraded weapons.

I'm just remembering having to escape the reactor room with no human powers and my god it's giving me a headache thinking about it

Found the endings cool but a bit underwhelming. Just a single line followed by the credits? Reminded me of spending hours finishing GTA2 as a kid only for the end to be a screen basically saying 'well done'. I know there's the 'secret' bit post credits which was better but I saw the twist a mile off and it didn't really answer any questions. On the whole I just feel like they could have done a lot more with the themes.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
There's more ending. Watch the credits.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Mokinokaro posted:

There's more ending. Watch the credits.

I know there's the 'secret' bit post credits which was better but I saw the twist a mile off and it didn't really answer any questions. On the whole I just feel like they could have done a lot more with the themes.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

E: double post

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

ThomasPaine posted:

I know there's the 'secret' bit post credits which was better but I saw the twist a mile off and it didn't really answer any questions. On the whole I just feel like they could have done a lot more with the themes.

Wait, what questions did it leave unanswered? The only ones it didn't answer were the ones that didn't really matter - it let you know that whatever happened, Morgan failed. And then it lets you decide whether Alex succeeded or failed as well.

And I mean obviously if you saw it coming you were just playing to the audience, so presumably you killed them all and have a nice, solid ending - humanity is destroyed,
the typhon's win by finally learning empathy well enough to trick them into their own destruction. The final adaptation.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
re: typhon mods and the turrets at some point in the game it seems like almost all the turrets you see have already been destroyed so it really doesn't matter that much

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

it's worth noting that crafted turrets are already hacked.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I feel like this game's feeling would have been much improved by immersive loading screens where you just appear to hang out in airlocks between sections.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

While I'm inclined to agree, for whatever reason that makes a lot of people really mad (Mass Effect 1 elevators/airlocks). I don't really get it, you were going to have to load anyway; might as well do it in a way that makes the place feel less video-gamey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

They did that with the primary elevator system but it was sort of a pain to implement. It only really served to impress upon players the interior scale of the station, and did so admirably.