Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I guess I don't really get why it's so important that "American soccer" becomes some great thing. I don't care much for MLS but it's the league my preferred team plays in.

I don't care if we "develop" USMNT players that can compete with the best "footballing" nations regularly. So I'm completely ok with MLS becoming a league for the Not Quite Good Enough Central & South Americans.

Like this guy...
https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/10/18/best-portlands-diego-valeri-goals-highlights-and-skills?autoplay=true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

tk posted:

Sure, but Cincinnati is, what, 12th in total points in the USL? They wouldn’t be going anywhere.

Yeah I know, I'm just using them as an example of a lower league team that has apparently developed a sizeable fan base out of nothing over a couple years. They should presumably be able to buy better players if they maintain their support and eventually would be favorites for promotion if that were a thing. It sucks that they have no vehicle to do that other than try to get the city to build them a stadium and suck off MLS executives

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Perhaps promising teams with large fanbases would do better in USL if there were some sort of big incentive for finishing top. Not sure what that incentive could be though.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Perhaps promising teams with large fanbases would do better in USL if there were some sort of big incentive for finishing top. Not sure what that incentive could be though.

A trip to the whitehouse?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Feels Villeneuve posted:

They have the talent to be top of the USL. It's just that they have a manager who literally cannot convince himself to stick to a lineup or formation for more than one game. Imagine Chris Leitch, but if he was even more crazy.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Shrapnig posted:

And yet they're still a better route to developing into a professional soccer player than the NCAA.

No they arent really. Both are bad

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

African AIDS cum posted:

No they arent really. Both are bad

I'm pretty sure "both are bad" was the subtext to that post.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
http://www.mystatesman.com/sports/soccer/crew-anthony-precourt-lays-out-case-for-mls-soccer-austin/iIgaOfMaFOBcoah5cV2chL/

quote:

“Austin is the best untapped market in the United States for MLS,” Anthony Precourt, chief executive officer of Precourt Sports Ventures, told the American-Statesman. “I think it has a chance to be an MLS 3.0 club right out of the gate,” referring to the league’s highest franchise designation.
lol what?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
MY FRANCHISE DESIGNATION

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Franchise designations mean the quality of the play on the field is better than 10 years ago, right?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

This league is very bad.

highme
May 25, 2001

This loving guy

quote:

“Our kickoffs are at 7:30 p.m. I see people hanging out on Rainey Street or walking around Sixth Street at night. It’s not too hot and humid for them.”

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
I like that only he believes this, and literally every involved party is telling him he’s an idiot, and he’s doubling down regardless

It’s like admitting he was wrong would turn him to dust

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Man it feels weird to have ownership using our silly-rear end shorthand - especially to reporters who don't get it.

Honestly, done right Austin COULD be another Portland, but this dude ain't gonna do it right.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I loving hate our rich boy MAGA goblin of an owner and his incessant need to squeeze a little bit more margin out of everything to make his daddy proud

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Dallan Invictus posted:

Man it feels weird to have ownership using our silly-rear end shorthand - especially to reporters who don't get it.

Honestly, done right Austin COULD be another Portland, but this dude ain't gonna do it right.

We don't need more Texas teams.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Nostradingus posted:

We don't need more Texas teams.

But the Mexicans!

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Jack2142 posted:

But the Mexicans!

I thought they had their own league?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
What if we did the best of both worlds and potentially had like, an American version of a popular Mexican soccer club in MLS

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

He’s not an idiot for wanting to leave he’s just a bad person for how he’s going about it.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Also how many dumb people opposed to Austin were wrong about Atlanta. Show of dumb hands.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Wait until the novelty of a new stadium wears off in Atlanta

highme
May 25, 2001

Feels Villeneuve posted:

What if we did the best of both worlds and potentially had like, an American version of a popular Mexican soccer club in MLS

Xolos almost fill that niche.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Feels Villeneuve posted:

this but the opposite

an unabashedly hokey american franchise playing in the mexican pyramid

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman

Azerban posted:

this but the opposite

NYCFC MX

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Got this email today:

The head of my local SG posted:

To My Eberly’s Army Family,

The phrase, “May you live in interesting times” is one that many of us are familiar with. For soccer fans in Austin, the last 10 years has shown that just as soon as you think things have settled down, something comes along to overturn the apple cart.

With the news that came out Monday night from Grant Wahl about the possible move of the Columbus Crew to Austin starting in the 2019 season, many found themselves with mixed emotions. This chance (the level is dependent on the source of your news and your perspective) that Austin could host a MLS club in the next 24 months surprised many in the ATX and surrounding communities. I dare say, it surprised many in the soccer landscape, based on social media and news coverage. For many in the Austin area, the news was mixed. As excited as we were to hear of a possible fulfillment of our dreams for an MLS club in central Texas, the way we could be getting the club brought up a lot of old emotions.

It was 7 years ago this month that Austin Aztex fans learned that the club was leaving Austin to go to Orlando. Many of the points the Aztex made in 2010 for leaving Austin align with reasons provided by Precourt Sports Ventures LLC to Crew fans for leaving Columbus; declining support of fans in the city for the club, the need for a stadium closer to downtown, the need for greater innovation in the club. Within 5 years, Orlando went from Austin to an opening day in MLS as OCSC (or OC$C as many here still refer to them as). The pain, anger and frustration of fans who gathered at Mister Tramp’s Pub that night, to burn the club crest and rip apart club jerseys are similar to what we see from Crew fans now. Although we can’t say we know exactly how Columbus fans feel now, we have a pretty good feeling how deep and intense their emotions are running. Emotions that we wouldn’t wish on my worst enemy.

For me, it’s the treatment of the Columbus fans that first gave me pause. Do I want to be excited for an organization who was treating its supporters the exact same way Austin fans were treated in 2010? Did I as a fan want to put my faith in an organization who could do this to their community? I know as well as anyone else that soccer is a business, just like many other sports around the globe. Long gone are the days where the performance on the pitch was most important. Today, cash flow, profit/loss, increases in season ticket revenue, advertising revenue, etc. are king. Yes, silverware and trophies are important, but in many cases only as a means of increasing revenue and profits. For me though, I have supported two iterations of the Aztex, to see both either leave the city of cease operations. So how would I react to an organization that was doing the same thing to their fans? Is there space in a supporter’s life for principles? As I read postings, emails and articles online, I’m not the only one in Austin or the broader American soccer community who feels the same way.

Although some questions we ask ourselves and other may never be answers other than through the passage of time, we should ask questions of any organization wanting to bring soccer to Austin. After all, they’re asking for our presence and active support (time, money, emotions). We are doing this for the USL Austin 2019 group following their announced return of a USL club in 2019 and we should do this with Precourt Sports Ventures LLC for this possible MLS move.
Nothing is 100% now. There has been no press release from Precourt Sports Ventures LLC to state that it’s a done deal. Naturally, its looks closer to happening than not, but until it’s 100%, we should all remember that no matter how great something looks, there are still steps to be taken.
If the team is successful in getting all the approvals from MLS, they still have to sort out a stadium. Austin Mayor Steve Adler has already stated publicly that no city tax dollars will go to building a stadium, which is no surprise. However, what about property? Tax abatement's? Other financial perks from either the city, county or state?
Additionally, Precourt Sports Ventures LLC has stated that building a stadium will be privately funded. Will he be able to find the investors he needs to acquire the land, build the stadium, hire the staff for the squad (players, front office, ticket sales, operations, etc)?
What is their commitment to the city of Austin? Frankly, how do we know the same thing won’t happen to use which has happened before, both in Austin and with Precourt Sports Ventures LLC?
What are the long term plans both on and off the pitch? How does the organization plan to engage with all soccer fans in central Texas, including EPL fan, Liga MX fan, National team fan or just the casual supporter?
These are questions that we want to ask the organization. Only with these answers, can we gauge the level of support we will provide.

Unfortunately, I personally don’t have much in the way of suggestions with where you should fall. For some of you, you’re all in. For others, you’ve got questions like the above and more. We’ve always referred to ourselves as “Cerebral Supporters”. I would simply ask that you keep an open mind. Don’t just take answers and statements at face value. Keep those fans of the Crew in your thoughts. They’re having a very hard time now. There’s a lot of anger out there, so be aware of exchanges with folks both in person and online. In my case, I’m finding that I spend less time writing updates to social media, and more time reading. After all, that’s how we’ll become better informed to go forward. Listening, and making up our own minds. Whichever way you fall.

Matthew Gray
Eberly’s Army President & Co-founder

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
Cerebral Supporters probably have the most complex and thought-provoking tifos

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

XyrlocShammypants posted:

He’s not an idiot for wanting to leave he’s just a bad person for how he’s going about it.

He's an idiot for buying the team in the first place, especially with the goal of moving to Austin from day one, AND he's a bad person for the way he did it

poo poo should've been outlawed when Clay Bennett did it to the Supersonics

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Azerban posted:

this but the opposite

This literally almost happened. Twice.

If there's a more 90s team name than the ones that actually made it into MLS, it would be "Los Angeles Salsa".

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
ECS put out an open letter to Sounders ownership asking them to oppose the Austin move.

https://www.weareecs.com/multimedia/category-news/379-this-is-about-trust

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Dallan Invictus posted:

This literally almost happened. Twice.

If there's a more 90s team name than the ones that actually made it into MLS, it would be "Los Angeles Salsa".

go sauce

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

El Jebus posted:

I thought MLS was the pyramid scheme?

Eh, I think it's more of a cabal really. Don is the crime boss of US soccer. :v:

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
A guy named Indiana Vassilev just came on for the u 17s.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Seltzer posted:

A guy named Indiana Vassilev just came on for the u 17s.

Indiana! our Indiana! Indiana we’re all for youuuuu!!

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Azerban posted:

this but the opposite

I don't think the Dallas Cowboys can play in Liga MX.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Got this tonight.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
BEN OLSEN FOR AUSTIN

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I made a joke that the potential USL club would be able to hire Adrian Heath in 2019, but now I’m getting scared the potential MLS club would hire him.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Though I am still laughing at FC Dallas winning their must win and still (deservedly) being left out of the playoffs, I do wonder if MLS will ever revisit their stance on goal differential and tiebreakers.

Doesn't change my opinion on the season, as FCD totally chose to flop around in a toilet instead of play games in the back half, but it's still hilarious that San Jose is going to challenge the league with a -21 in GD. Hell, I hope they win it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Shinjobi posted:

Though I am still laughing at FC Dallas winning their must win and still (deservedly) being left out of the playoffs, I do wonder if MLS will ever revisit their stance on goal differential and tiebreakers.

Doesn't change my opinion on the season, as FCD totally chose to flop around in a toilet instead of play games in the back half, but it's still hilarious that San Jose is going to challenge the league with a -21 in GD. Hell, I hope they win it all.

Reminder that you got 2 points you shouldn't have if the league weren't spineless cowards and actually obeyed the Laws.

• Locked thread