Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Monaghan posted:

Well I'm pretty much finished the zeong. I'll weather the thrusters later since my model shop is taking forever to get some alclad I need. Also my first time doing some big time beam damage. Thought it turned out okay.

It's also the most time I've spent on a kit for a design I really didn't like. But it's a char suit, so I must. Only two more to go.

whoa he's thicc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Taintrunner posted:

Are there any other good places to order gunpla from within the US outside of USAGundamStore?

I like Gundam Planet, prices pretty good, the only decent site too

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'm slowly working through the master grade 00 XN Raiser kit. It's really good so far. Minimal cleaning up and I've jumped right into painting parts. Will I make my life hard by assembling the frame without the armour so I can paint it in one hit then paint the plates individually? I presume the frame fits together happily and doesn't need anything outside of the dark coloured parts to stick together.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Taintrunner posted:

Are there any other good places to order gunpla from within the US outside of USAGundamStore?

HLJ and Amazon

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Guy Goodbody posted:

The Johnny Ridden Zaku comes with two different leg options

Which confused me, all the art of Johnny's Zaku showed it with the legs on the right. But then I figured it out

Guys I think they're gonna make a RG Shin Matsunaga's Zaku

On the MG it's just a cover that snaps over the left leg design. Has the dual purpose of keeping the inner complexity and maintaining parts commonality with Shin Matsunaga and I think Black Tri Star Zakus.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I may have made a horrible mistake

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Guy Goodbody posted:

:catstare:

What kit is that from?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

StrixNebulosa posted:

:catstare:

What kit is that from?

RG Zaku

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

:bisonyes:

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Guy Goodbody posted:

i made it though alive and you can too

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Oh god I got the RG Unicorn linked earlier and have only put 4 HGs together, ever

The assembly manual has 23 pages and dozens of "Don't cut this thing that looks exactly like a sprue" warnings

No idea how to put on these decals, the diagram looks like something leaked to Mulder

I am not prepared

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Marx Headroom, I did a RG Gundam Astray not too long ago, and here's my advice: take a deep breath, and do it one panel at a time. Do the red diamond numbers in order, and follow the pegs. You're going to do just fine!

e: Looking this up on Dalong.net and oh my god you even get instructions in English! Take it slow and enjoy building this thing!

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

StrixNebulosa posted:

Take it slow and enjoy building this thing!

:hai:

YamataNoOrochi
Oct 24, 2005

Oh gently caress what did I get myself into?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Also, Marx Headroom, if you get stuck on a piece or section, use this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8q19UjmM7VY

I had the damndest time understanding how a bit of the shoulders worked for my RG, but watching someone else put it together made it all click for me.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
That thing is so terrible

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

That thing is so terrible

Nah, but I do know some actually terrible MSes

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

The rudest thing about this is that as far as I know, they don't have any kits so I can't buy and make them :sigh:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

StrixNebulosa posted:

The rudest thing about this is that as far as I know, they don't have any kits so I can't buy and make them :sigh:

https://hlj.com/product/BAN72569

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

...! Bless you, I'm going to pick this up sooner rather than later!

I think I'm going to have to alternate weird gundam designs with normal ones as I pick up kits - I just picked up the Qubeley, and I want a Mack Knife along with the more standard Zakus and Kampfer and so on.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

...! Bless you, I'm going to pick this up sooner rather than later!

I think I'm going to have to alternate weird gundam designs with normal ones as I pick up kits - I just picked up the Qubeley, and I want a Mack Knife along with the more standard Zakus and Kampfer and so on.

Those are old kits and not up to the standard set by Bandai's current offerings, just so you're not surprised.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Midjack posted:

Those are old kits and not up to the standard set by Bandai's current offerings, just so you're not surprised.

Date Released: May 1999

yeaaaaah, I've been seeing amazon reviews for other kits mentioning "this is a solid kit for a 2006 release" and I can't imagine how...clunky this antique must be. But I want it. I must have it.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
The only thing potentially (thankfully?) stopping me from picking up that Ziegler right now is having to soldering the LEDs. I'll be going to Japan for two weeks in November to check out all the Gundam stuff now that I'm into it. I actually ended up getting super into gunpla because I bought a HG Full Armor 7th kit the night before my flight back home so it's kind of a weird nerd anniversary. I'll think about the Ziegler when I get back and see how much plastic I end up buying there.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Date Released: May 1999

yeaaaaah, I've been seeing amazon reviews for other kits mentioning "this is a solid kit for a 2006 release" and I can't imagine how...clunky this antique must be. But I want it. I must have it.

It's less poo poo than a lot of its peers, honestly.

The design offers a lot of range of motion for the day, the plastic feels fine, and it generally isn't a terrible experience to build.

Color seperation isn't ideal, so some paints might be a good idea, but assuming you don't pay too much I don't think you'll regret it.

The Sumo is much more flawed.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

That Gobbo posted:

The only thing potentially (thankfully?) stopping me from picking up that Ziegler right now is having to soldering the LEDs.

Well I might have some bad news for you

(I also forgot that the Deep Striker and Penelope didn't have soldering either, sorry if I was misleading on that front. I misremembered, and the soldering I had to do was because I broke some wires by catching them between two parts fitting together.)

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

YamataNoOrochi posted:

This is the part where ACES feels an extreme sense of validation in spite of those who had doubted St. Mechan

But for reals that looks pretty great in plastic form. Even if the waist is quite a bit bulkier than OG Zeong.

YamataNoOrochi
Oct 24, 2005

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

(I also forgot that the Deep Striker and Penelope didn't have soldering either, sorry if I was misleading on that front. I misremembered, and the soldering I had to do was because I broke some wires by catching them between two parts fitting together.)

I think the Xi was the last kit of theirs where soldering was mandatory?

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Why would you do this to me?

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
The Ziegler is the biggest pile of overdesigned tryhard poo poo I've ever seen, but man does it look like it would be fun to build.

YamataNoOrochi
Oct 24, 2005

Bimmi posted:

The Ziegler is the biggest pile of overdesigned tryhard poo poo I've ever seen, but man does it look like it would be fun to build.

This right here is the reason I bought it. Well, that and the fact that I've got all the other Mechanicore kits already.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

YamataNoOrochi posted:

This right here is the reason I bought it. Well, that and the fact that I've got all the other Mechanicore kits already.

Even the ELYN Kshatriya? :unsmigghh:

(Real talk, I would've loved to get that. I don't know if they did anything before that though.)

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
IDK if that pose doesn't really do it justice either; it looks more natural for the Zeong because of the ginormous calves, but with the Ziegler's thin legs and large kneepads it looks like it's getting ready for a western shootout.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
The ELYN Kshat was.... not good.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bimmi posted:

The ELYN Kshat was.... not good.

I finally parted with mine; the person I sold it to has the skills to make it into something impressive.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Neurolimal posted:

the Ziegler's thin legs and large kneepads it looks like it's getting ready for a western shootout.

Or a two-year-old doin' poop squatties.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The Zeong design just straight up does not look right without the shapely hips.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

YamataNoOrochi posted:

That thing on the right just looks like Sandrock hit the protein powder a little too hard.

Funky Valentine posted:

The Zeong design just straight up does not look right without the shapely hips.
I'd go further to say about the only thing that ties the two together is the antenna antlers. If you put a different head on it, I doubt most people would be able to make the connection.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

You TAKE THAT BACK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YamataNoOrochi
Oct 24, 2005

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Even the ELYN Kshatriya? :unsmigghh:

(Real talk, I would've loved to get that. I don't know if they did anything before that though.)

Yes, even the Elyn. It too is in my backlog.