Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

CannonFodder posted:

In the US trains already carry a tremendous amount of cargo, usually with diesel electric hybrids. That's not the discussion.

The discussion is around recharging many Class 8 Road Tractors at the same time. Most major truck stops have to 4 to 8 fuel lanes, each providing at least 100 gallons of fuel every 15 minutes. In order to charge 4 to 8 tractors with 600 miles worth of electricity simultaneously in 15 minutes would require every truck stop to have an electric substation next door.

I love the idea of local and yard trucks going electric. Every time I roll in to FedEx Ground in Hutchins TX I look at that giant roof and imagine it covered in solar panels powering the area. I imagine solar panels on the terminal in Greenville SC giving power to trucks that go back and forth to the Walmart DC, and hey put some solar panels there as well.

Walmart is quite good about putting solar on its stores, iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

CA xpost. Zero has launched the 2018 range. The Charge Tank option can now do 6 kW AC from Mode 3 stations. A step in the right direction. But that excludes the Power Tank option, so it's either 18 kWh capacity and 1 kW charging or 6 kW charging and 14.4 kWh. And interestingly, the curb weight of the 18 kWh is just 205 kg. It's getting there, but isn't there just yet. They should've dropped the 6 kW charger for a CCS interface and a cooling fan.

http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/eu/charging

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

ilkhan posted:

If we wanted to be efficient we'd replace all long haul trucking with rail, rail being far more efficient than trucks. And even harder to convert to (full) electric.

rail is efficient but slow and ragingly unreliable, both things that matter a lot to most logistics customers

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
You really only need the wires over part of the distance if the truck can recharge quickly enough.

Epiphyte
Apr 7, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

rail is efficient but slow and ragingly unreliable, both things that matter a lot to most logistics customers
is freight rail unreliable?

I was under the impression that freight is actually really good in the US and Amtrak is poo poo because it takes second fiddle when it comes to routing.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Epiphyte posted:

I was under the impression that freight is actually really good in the US and Amtrak is poo poo because it takes second fiddle when it comes to routing.

the last time I looked at rail it was roughly 40% on time and they considered on-time as anything arriving + or - one day from the target delivery date.

Epiphyte
Apr 7, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the last time I looked at rail it was roughly 40% on time and they considered on-time as anything arriving + or - one day from the target delivery date.
Gonna save this for the next time I get chewed out for delivering a report after 9am on the day it's due

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Epiphyte posted:

Gonna save this for the next time I get chewed out for delivering a report after 9am on the day it's due

"I'm not lazy, i'm just a train" :downs:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Epiphyte posted:

It's not so much unreliable, it's just not for time sensitive stuff. In order of time sensitivity it goes air>road>rail(>boat) and reverse that for cost. If you've got more goods to ship than can be immediately used at the destination (raw materials, grain, cars, etc.) it makes sense to use rail. If you're moving just enough to keep a location stocked, but can't afford to be out of stock, use trucks. If you can't function without it or it's highly perishable, use air. For the kinds of stuff shipped on rail, +/- a day is probably well within acceptable.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Finger Prince posted:

It's not so much unreliable, it's just not for time sensitive stuff. In order of time sensitivity it goes air>road>rail(>boat) and reverse that for cost. If you've got more goods to ship than can be immediately used at the destination (raw materials, grain, cars, etc.) it makes sense to use rail. If you're moving just enough to keep a location stocked, but can't afford to be out of stock, use trucks. If you can't function without it or it's highly perishable, use air. For the kinds of stuff shipped on rail, +/- a day is probably well within acceptable.

It's a perfectly acceptable mode for the types of things you list. I just get annoyed with stuff like this:

ilkhan posted:

If we wanted to be efficient we'd replace all long haul trucking with rail, rail being far more efficient than trucks. And even harder to convert to (full) electric.

The thing is, most retail/consumer goods/everything else companies have tried to move to more responsive supply chains and lower inventory levels, which precludes use of rail unless performance of rail goes up. Efficiency is not just about physical resources consumed in the move.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Here comes the pain train!

*punches you tomorrow*

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Epiphyte posted:

I'm mostly guessing but I'd imagine what it comes down to is what happens when things go wrong, particularly if the route you were intending to take is no longer available or your destination can't accept you.

Airplanes can fly around weather, reroute to a different airport on a moment's notice, stack up in a holding pattern containing potentially dozens of flights, etc.

Trucks can turn down side roads, maneuver around obstacles in the road, stop along the side of the road, etc.

In either case your delivery probably won't be delayed by more than a few hours.

Trains have a limited number of places they can possibly be, and only a subset of those are capable of supporting turning around for a major reroute or parking for an indefinite amount of time. There just isn't the flexibility to quickly adapt to something going wrong.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Trains being slow is Chicago's fault. Give us an envelope full of cash and we might fix it.

For real though, it's a known problem that's being worked on.
2012 NYT article http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/08/us/chicago-train-congestion-slows-whole-country.html

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Ola posted:

Here comes the pain train!

*punches you tomorrow*

Or maybe the day after that, look I have a lot of punching to do and I punch passengers first.

Elephanthead fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 17, 2017

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I think they've put off upgrading long enough that they should be able to just skip straight ahead to the final stage of cargo trains. have electric, automated bogeys under every car and automated switches so trains can build and move themselves. Just install like 200,000 miles of electrified third rail and upgrade 1.61 million rail cars, and it's smooth sailing from there.

It's not like rail cars have to give a poo poo about pedestrians walking out in front of them. I believe the standard has already been established that if you're on the tracks and don't see the train you deserve to get squished.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

borkencode posted:

Trains being slow is Chicago's fault. Give us an envelope full of cash and we might fix it.

For real though, it's a known problem that's being worked on.
2012 NYT article http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/08/us/chicago-train-congestion-slows-whole-country.html
Its *Chicago*. Everything requires an envelopewheelbarrow full of cash.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Powershift posted:

I think they've put off upgrading long enough that they should be able to just skip straight ahead to the final stage of cargo trains. have electric, automated bogeys under every car and automated switches so trains can build and move themselves. Just install like 200,000 miles of electrified third rail and upgrade 1.61 million rail cars, and it's smooth sailing from there.

It's not like rail cars have to give a poo poo about pedestrians walking out in front of them. I believe the standard has already been established that if you're on the tracks and don't see the train you deserve to get squished.

Almost 2 weeks ago I took Amtrak to LA from Oceanside for a conference at UCLA (used bike and Expo line).

Congratulating myself for making the 7:28 PM train back and avoiding LA Friday night traffic.

Someone suicided themselves on the route and our train was delayed.

I got home at 3:33AM.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Last time I had jury duty, just as I was reaching downtown, I drove past a broken municipal bus, engine panel open and smoking, disgorging passengers in their business suits onto the sidewalk. I couldn’t have planned a more comical moment.

This has been my “LOL public transit” contribution.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Platystemon posted:

Last time I had jury duty, just as I was reaching downtown, I drove past a broken municipal bus, engine panel open and smoking, disgorging passengers in their business suits onto the sidewalk. I couldn’t have planned a more comical moment.

This has been my “LOL public transit” contribution.

I do wish there was a train to Vegas, however. I15 can be kinda slow.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

VideoGameVet posted:

I do wish there was a train to Vegas, however. I15 can be kinda slow.

I had been tracking the high speed rail LA to Vegas project with my previous company for about 5 years before I left in 2014. It changed names several times, finally settling on "XpressWest," and is currently in a bit of a holding pattern, though looking more possible every month. The job was originally going to be primarily privately funded by Vegas entities, but when many backed out in 2010-2011 it got an injection from some large Chinese investment firms. I believe the principal backer now is hotel dev Marnell.

As of when I was last involved the LA station was going to be in Victorville and the cost was about $5b. We were in a three way joint venture with two other companies, each looking to take roughly 1/3 of the 200 mile alignment. If it ever gets built you'll be looking at about 90-120 minutes to get from victorville to vegas.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Is leasing something like a Leaf or Soul EV (basically something with <100mi range for around town 2nd car duties) a good idea at all?

Dealer near me has the Soul (93mi rated range) for $1500 down and $100/mo for 3 years with 10k miles/year, inclusive of all taxes and fees and such.

That works out I about $140/mo, which appears to beat anything on the BEST EV LEASE LIST compiled and regularly updated by this guy who appears to have way too much time on his hands: http://ev-vin.blogspot.com/2017/02/ev-lease-deals-sorts-and-filters.html

I get that paying ~$5k and coming away with nothing at the end of 3 years is a little different than buying, but my parents are sick of cars breaking on them and having surprise expenses (car is for them).

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Seems reasonable. $5k is what it costs to transport yourself around for three years, isn't it? It will probably depreciate like cotton candy on a rainy day anyway.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

From my math it was about half as much for just gas vs EV lease plus electricity, but of course that doesn't factor in the additional maintenance and purchase cost for the gas vehicle. It does end up seeming pretty comparable at least.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, if you can make the low range work for you, the sub-100 mile cars are insanely cheap to lease.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

Man_of_Teflon posted:

I get that paying ~$5k and coming away with nothing at the end of 3 years is a little different than buying, but my parents are sick of cars breaking on them and having surprise expenses (car is for them).

Plus you don't walk away with nothing. All you are doing is paying the depreciation (that they calculate) and you can buy it out after the term.
What you will probably find is after the lease you won't buy it out though because you could buy one for cheaper... which means you paid less to drive then you would if you bought.

I wish they had good terms on leasing the audi, but it was 5% and the buyout was 10k after 4 years, so it was like $650 a month. They probably are going to get the buyout amount right, so it will cost us the same to have bought it, but I am not paying 5% to borrow the money from them.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah, if you can make the low range work for you, the sub-100 mile cars are insanely cheap to lease.

What is the financial motivation again here for manufacturers? Having trouble understanding. Why aren't the lease rates high due to the obviously high depreciation/innovation curve for EVs?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
If you raise the price you will sell less cars and actually lose more money then selling them at a loss. It is all about minimizing losses. Why they are committed to EV is they think they will make money eventually, a lot of money.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Michael Scott posted:

What is the financial motivation again here for manufacturers? Having trouble understanding. Why aren't the lease rates high due to the obviously high depreciation/innovation curve for EVs?

Rolling in the $7500 fed rebate that the bank can claim as a rebate helps along with any state rebates that are available.

I know right now in Ny the Soul EV has $20,200 in total rebates and a residual of 31% on a 10k lease. There is also another $2200 of room between invoice and MSRP as well as a $1k dealer bonus on each unit sold. It’s easy to hit a stupid low lease price on these vehicles.

The reason they are so incentivized is the mfg’s want the help on their cafe numbers, the PR of having EV’s now so in 5-10 years they can say they have been doing it for years instead of just coming out with a first attempt. There is also a compliance factor in certain states that require a particular number of electric or hybrid vehicle sales.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

eyebeem posted:

I had been tracking the high speed rail LA to Vegas project with my previous company for about 5 years before I left in 2014. It changed names several times, finally settling on "XpressWest," and is currently in a bit of a holding pattern, though looking more possible every month. The job was originally going to be primarily privately funded by Vegas entities, but when many backed out in 2010-2011 it got an injection from some large Chinese investment firms. I believe the principal backer now is hotel dev Marnell.

As of when I was last involved the LA station was going to be in Victorville and the cost was about $5b. We were in a three way joint venture with two other companies, each looking to take roughly 1/3 of the 200 mile alignment. If it ever gets built you'll be looking at about 90-120 minutes to get from victorville to vegas.

This is the problem with all the HSR proposals in California. They go from WHERE NO ONE LIVES to somewhere.

Union Station is where it needs to start from.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

But if the train started in a place where anybody lived, the track might have to run next to some billionaire fuckoid's ranch

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

VideoGameVet posted:

This is the problem with all the HSR proposals in California. They go from WHERE NO ONE LIVES to somewhere.

Union Station is where it needs to start from.

The other reason why Victorville is the reasonable start point is otherwise you have to drop down into the LA basin and its a fairly substantial grade.

There is an existing rail line but it drops into San Bernadino which doesnt really change a whole lot. Plus its not high speed rail, and its clogged up with cargo trains.

The problem with Victorville as a start point is when you're out there its less then 3 hours to drive the rest of the way to Vegas.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

D C posted:

The other reason why Victorville is the reasonable start point is otherwise you have to drop down into the LA basin and its a fairly substantial grade.

There is an existing rail line but it drops into San Bernadino which doesnt really change a whole lot. Plus its not high speed rail, and its clogged up with cargo trains.

The problem with Victorville as a start point is when you're out there its less then 3 hours to drive the rest of the way to Vegas.

Correct.

Now AmTrak did have a LA->Vegas route in the past, but it was notoriously slow.

Part of the problem was that the train trip from Los Angeles to Las Vegas lasted up to seven hours, taking much longer than a casual four-hour drive. At the time, Amtrak’s fares were about the same as an hourlong flight aboard low-cost airlines flying out of Southern California’s airports, making the train ride pretty useless.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/news/news-columns/road-warrior/rails-remain-but-amtrak-left-las-vegas-with-the-desert-wind/

That still beats my worst drive (18mph from Vegas to the CA Border), but way way too slow.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I work right next to a "nice" regional airport that just started offering commercial flights to Vegas again (Palomar Airport in Carlsbad). It's literally next door to my office, and the flights are about $100 give or take, so now I can just leave my car at work, walk to the loving airport, get to the gate and be in Vegas in an hour. I could probably leave my office 15 minutes before the flight and make it.

Good poo poo.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

eyebeem posted:

I work right next to a "nice" regional airport that just started offering commercial flights to Vegas again (Palomar Airport in Carlsbad). It's literally next door to my office, and the flights are about $100 give or take, so now I can just leave my car at work, walk to the loving airport, get to the gate and be in Vegas in an hour. I could probably leave my office 15 minutes before the flight and make it.

Good poo poo.

Do they have rental cars there? It is cheaper for me to fly to vegas and then jump to So Cal then fly to So Cal. I have to drive anyway because my destination is ahole Ca not some fancy city.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Elephanthead posted:

Do they have rental cars there? It is cheaper for me to fly to vegas and then jump to So Cal then fly to So Cal. I have to drive anyway because my destination is ahole Ca not some fancy city.

Not on-site, no. You're almost certainly better off flying into Ontario, as I'm assuming "ahole CA" means the Inland Empire.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

eyebeem posted:

Good poo poo.

Hello, neighbor (I live in La Costa).

Yes, this is good news.

I hope they hook up with domestic carriers and start connecting flights to LAX so I can book domestic/international travel from Carlsbad. I used to do it with United.

Or heck, start flying to SFO as well.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

VideoGameVet posted:

Hello, neighbor (I live in La Costa).

Yes, this is good news.

I hope they hook up with domestic carriers and start connecting flights to LAX so I can book domestic/international travel from Carlsbad. I used to do it with United.

Or heck, start flying to SFO as well.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to it. I've been dealing with planes constantly taking off and landing for the last two years... might as well get some benefit (other than lunch at The Landings).

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I have a day-one Model 3 preorder.

I just test-drove a Model S.

BAD THOUGHTS. BAAAD THOOOUUGHHTSSS.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

MrYenko posted:

Muahaha god we did this. And then we told ourselves - oh we will trade in the model S when the model 3 comes out. What that now turned into a year later was me selling my hybrid in preparation for the model 3 and my husband is keeping the model S.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

MrYenko posted:

The upsell is real and it is very effective!

• Locked thread