Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Cleretic posted:

a single man's fanatical desire for bloody revolution channeled into a pair of dragon's eyes to be given physical form.

requesting name change pls mods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
E: oops

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
I'm currently playing through Brothers A Tale of Two Sons and my favorite little thing is constantly wondering which son will die by the end.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mr. Flunchy posted:

requesting name change pls mods
You want to be named "a pair of?"

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

You want to be named "a pair of?"

nah, I think it loses something cut down in any way

thanks for the offer though!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
So I booted up Witcher 3 again for the first time in ages and was wandering around Skellige looking for any odd quests I could find and happened to meet some friendly guards wandering along the path.

They greet me, then stop and point at the huge deer which just ran out in front of us and start talking about hunting, which I thought was a very neat touch by the designers.

Then one of the guards started screaming, spinning around in circles flailing his arms everywhere and falls over dead, which came as a surprise to be sure. Turns out, the deer had knocked down a beehive next to the path as it ran past and the pissed off bees attacked the first thing they could find.

Knowing that the AI likes to blame the player by default any time anything dies, I crouch quietly in the grass trying to be invisible as the remaining two guards pull out their swords and start shouting for the attacker to reveal himself. The bees however, ignore them and fly off to do bee things elsewhere.

Sadly I couldn't say the same thing about the huge loving bear which came out of goddamn nowhere and bitchslapped both guards facefirst into a tree killing them instantly. But by now, the half dozen other guards just down the road have heard the screaming and come running wholly unprepared to meet with an angry bear the size of a midrange family sedan.

Eventually everyone except two guards die and they both wander back to their posts.

I stand up from where I was bravely hiding in the grass, collect the free honey and bear pelt and go about my business.

Yeah, Geralt of loving Rivia :boom:

I love all the stuff which just happens in this game. I've never played another open world game which as felt so alive as this one.

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 15:11 on Oct 19, 2017

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
I've been playing Shadow of Mordor: Shadow of War quite a lot recently, and I just learned that other players can Dominate your Warchiefs or even the Overlord of your citadel when they Siege it. Both players get to keep that Warchief or Captain once the Siege ends.

So now several of my steam friends have a Legendary orc buddy named Rash the Bard who attacks with a flaming lute and rhymes "ready" with "deady". :allears:

Edit: looks like I misunderstood, apparently your buddy Warchief leaves at the end of the siege. :(
But a lot of my buddies have a Bard anyway, and that rocks. :colbert:

QuietLion has a new favorite as of 14:37 on Oct 20, 2017

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Just Offscreen posted:

I'm currently playing through Brothers A Tale of Two Sons and my favorite little thing is constantly wondering which son will die by the end.

Related, but huge spoilers... So maybe don't read this, but for everyone else who has played the game...

At the end when the big brother dies and then you began controlling the younger brother with the main "big" controller stick was pretty great.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Cleretic posted:

While the Final Fantasy XIV expansion Stormblood had a rocky start... and middle, the quality jumps up dramatically at the end. The final boss is both loving amazing to see and play, and so flagrantly referential to my favorite Final Fantasy that it hurts. Spoiler-tagging this, but what this fight is is pretty telegraphed from, like, the start of the expansion.

Your final boss is Shinryu, the summoned god dragon that broke down the imperial-erected wall that kicked off the expansion in the first place. The game was previously joke-linked to Final Fantasy V, with Gilgamesh coming in from another dimension and specifically talking about events from FFV, but Stormblood kinda made that much more serious by giving actual roles to Shinryu and Omega, the O.G. superbosses. So your final boss is THAT, and he starts making the references very flagrant.

Throughout the whole fight, he has a few extremely strong special moves that he builds up, that are based off of signature moves of primals from earlier in the game. Specifically, though, they're only primals that were summons in FFV; Shiva, Ramuh, Ifrit, Leviathan and Bahamut. His whole mechanic is that he has to build up a meter before he can use some big-hitter moves, but he starts with a full meter and immediately uses Leviathan's Tidal Wave to try to instantly kill your team by knocking them off the stage... which isn't just his opening salvo from his intro cutscene before Stormblood, but it's also his first move in FFV. Then for the second phase of his fight, he drags the players into another plane of existence for a good old psychadelic-arena final boss, and while it's never stated it is clearly supposed to be the Interdimensional Rift, the FFV end dungeon where Shinryu was first fought.

There's also something that HAS to be a reference, it's too specific, but I have no idea what to. When the players destroy Shinryu's tail after he lays it on the platform, it says 'Shinryu suffers 396960 points of damage!' I can't find what has or deals that amount of HP in Final Fantasy, so I'm drawing a blank on this one.

Also there's at least six loving Hamilton references across dialog and mission texts, and that's just the ones I noticed and counted.

You should really start Deltascape, if you haven't already.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Exit Strategy posted:

Still enjoying the poo poo out of Heat Signature

Thanks, bought this last night after checking it out, stayed up way too late. Good stuff.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Agents are GO! posted:

I don't know if it's connected but in Dissidia 012 the entire reoccuring cycle is Shinryuu eating the accumulated power and memories of the heroes and villains to grow its own power. Gilgamesh and Shinryuu are explicitly the FFV incarnations, and all of the incarnations of Gilgamesh across the FF series are the same guy.

Does that count for Type 0 and 15?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
There's an orc personality type in Shadow of War that talks really, really quickly and gets easily distracted. By himself it's cute...but if you have subtitles on the caption quickly goes from what he's saying to a bewildered series of ????.

:allears:

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I like the act of making maps in Etrian Odyssey games, and I like the way the auto-walk feature is implemented in the most recent games. I can make several routes with stops that sort of act like a big s line through a floor that can hit all the resource points with minimal interaction. Beats putting in 50+ directions on a floor I’ve already mapped out.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Started playing Murdered: Soul Suspect and I'm liking the side-stories and exploration a lot even if the main character moves too slow with no obvious run button. There have been some things I haven't been able to figure out yet, but I'm hoping that I'll get new powers to deal with that stuff, but the way that the game gates actually makes it fairly painless to explore - I feel that I've found everything I can around the first location largely because the game physically blocks my path elsewhere so I can't go too far ahead. Just arrived at the church after running around the initial area for like 2 hours.

Frush
Jun 26, 2008

BioEnchanted posted:

Started playing Murdered: Soul Suspect and I'm liking the side-stories and exploration a lot even if the main character moves too slow with no obvious run button. There have been some things I haven't been able to figure out yet, but I'm hoping that I'll get new powers to deal with that stuff, but the way that the game gates actually makes it fairly painless to explore - I feel that I've found everything I can around the first location largely because the game physically blocks my path elsewhere so I can't go too far ahead. Just arrived at the church after running around the initial area for like 2 hours.

It's a pretty linear game, but I enjoyed it. You'll get more new powers that make things easier in subsequent areas. If you're trying to 100% it (which isn't hard) I suggest looking up a guide because if I recall right there are one or two places you can't get back to. Overall it's a neat take on the genre.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So Destiny 2's plot is about some guy desperate for the giant space orb guarding humanity to notice him, so he invades Earth, steals humanity's powers and respawns and poo poo, and blows up their last city. The end of the game has him declare to you that he has Become Legend, revealing that not only did he do all this, he also stole Destiny 1's tagline. :v:

e: oh no the pc version

RBA Starblade has a new favorite as of 03:56 on Oct 24, 2017

bookkeeper
Jul 14, 2010

it means "the kapital"

RBA Starblade posted:

So Destiny 2's plot is about some guy desperate for the giant space orb guarding humanity to notice him, so he invades Earth, steals humanity's powers and respawns and poo poo, and blows up their last city. The end of the game has him declare to you that he has Become Legend, revealing that not only did he do all this, he also stole Destiny 1's tagline. :v:

Spoiling a game that many people can't begin playing until tomorrow is pretty cool

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

RBA Starblade posted:

Cool, thanks. I managed to go two months without knowing the game's plot line. I didn't expect it to be especially mind blowing or deep. But you know, gently caress you all the same.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Everything he's describing except for the fact that the villain says the Destiny tagline at one point happens in the game's prologue.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

bookkeeper posted:

Spoiling a game that many people can't begin playing until tomorrow is pretty cool

It's almost like they used spoiler tags or something.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Inzombiac posted:

It's almost like they used spoiler tags or something.

They didn't, idiot, he added them in for the quote.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
People give a poo poo about MMO """stories"""?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Who What Now posted:

People give a poo poo about MMO """stories"""?

I missed the part where the spoiler rules mention that if you personally don't like something that means it's totally cool to ruin it for everyone who does.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Again, the plot points in that post are the story's inciting incident. Everything mentioned in that post aside from the villain quoting the first game's tagline happens in the first like 10 minutes.

Punished Chuck has a new favorite as of 02:57 on Oct 24, 2017

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Wait hasn't Destiny 2 been out for like a month+?

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene

Len posted:

Wait hasn't Destiny 2 been out for like a month+?

For all the consoles, yes. The PC version hasn't come out yet.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

bookkeeper posted:

Nuebot posted:

Cool, thanks. I managed to go two months without knowing the game's plot line. I didn't expect it to be especially mind blowing or deep. But you know, gently caress you all the same.

...I completely forgot about the pc version. Sorry guys I edited tags in though it's a bit late now :blush:

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Sorry all, but "the bad guy is motivated by power and you fight at the end" sure doesn't seem like groundbreaking stuff.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Yeah this is like learning that a JRPG protagonist's town gets burned down in the first ten minutes.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Morpheus posted:

Yeah this is like learning that a JRPG protagonist's town gets burned down in the first ten minutes.

Whoa spoiler that.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Morpheus posted:

Please, that barely ever happens.

They get exiled from their hometown. It's still there, and you can probably go back to it later, but they're not allowed in for a good chunk of the game. I'll grant that sometimes this is because the town got a little hosed up, but that's not really as common as you'd think.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

This is like information getting repeated to you while you're playing a Metal Gear Solid game.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Cleretic posted:

Please, that barely ever happens.

They get exiled from their hometown. It's still there, and you can probably go back to it later, but they're not allowed in for a good chunk of the game. I'll grant that sometimes this is because the town got a little hosed up, but that's not really as common as you'd think.

I mean, in some games the town gets set on fire, then they get exiled because it clearly is the 12 year olds fault, then you can probably return later.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

RareAcumen posted:

This is like information getting repeated to you while you're playing a Metal Gear Solid game.

... information repeated to you while you’re playing a Metal Gear Solid game?!

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

codenameFANGIO posted:

Snake, you need to listen closely to the information I'm going to give you..I'll repeat it one more time.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Careful, Snake. This joke is old. It might not hold up.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

FactsAreUseless posted:

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
https://youtu.be/sT8m1Rk0oCU

So in Shadow of War I'm seriously loving all the different orc personalities. I had one Uruk who was the cockiest bastard around because he killed me once. The Tark Slayer. The next time I encountered him he thought he was going to win again. I ended up shaming him and breaking his mind.

The next encounter he became the deranged or something to that effect and could only communicate by going "awoo woo woo wooo.."

I felt bad and had to end him. :(

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Much like Snake himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

codenameFANGIO posted:

Metal Gear?!

Huh....