Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Revenant Threshold posted:

Wasn't there much the same story about wrestlers not getting the same payoffs for PPVs thanks to the network? The last I heard of it was, supposedly, WWE was going "oh we'll totally sort that out, don't worry about it" to them and then nothing else.

That was PPV bonuses I believe, and yeah nothing ever changed with that despite them promising to address it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Chris James 2 posted:

That was PPV bonuses I believe, and yeah nothing ever changed with that despite them promising to address it

These need to be understood for what they are. They aren't a bonus, they are a percentage of what wrestler pay was determined off. WWE removed an entire revenue stream that accounted for a significant portion of their talent's pay and replaced it with something else they do not pay them for.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

is it time for a HOF thread

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
???

https://twitter.com/FilthyTomLawlor/status/921108383934988288

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPwyyjtxlzU

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Chris James 2 posted:

No wonder so many people are leaving / considering leaving.

Also, this is page 1000... time for a new thread?

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

I didn't realize Tom was actually Grover

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

friendo55 posted:

Also, this is page 1000... time for a new thread?

If somebody wants to make a new thread with an updated OP linking to the various podcasts/wrestling media stuff that has basically exploded out onto the internet in the six years since this thread was made, I'll close up this one. Otherwise this thread is fine to continue on as it is.

What was the first big regular wrestler podcast anyway? First I can recall being aware of was The Steve Austin Show which started up back in 2013, but did the MLW stuff precede that?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I think Colt Cabana was first. Konnan did a separate show with the MLW network before joining the regular MLW show. I think the first podcastone podcast was Steve Austin.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jerusalem posted:

If somebody wants to make a new thread with an updated OP linking to the various podcasts/wrestling media stuff that has basically exploded out onto the internet in the six years since this thread was made, I'll close up this one. Otherwise this thread is fine to continue on as it is.

What was the first big regular wrestler podcast anyway? First I can recall being aware of was The Steve Austin Show which started up back in 2013, but did the MLW stuff precede that?

The Art of Wrestling was the first really breakthrough one although there were earlier ones.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

ahem Bryan Alvarez is a former wrestler

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

rare Magic card l00k posted:

ahem Bryan Alvarez is a former wrestler

The Buddy Wayne shows were very important to the development of the wrestler podcast.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

poo poo I completely forgot about The Art of Wrestling.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/KungFu_Grip/status/921206251127758848

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

That's an Indytaker tho

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Web Jew.0 posted:

That's an Indytaker tho

Young Bucks moves aren't in WWE 2K18, but they want to hire them to mocap the moves.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They declined.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

They declined.

Yeah, they told the WWE and 2K to 'Suck It' and immediately got another C&D.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Bryan’s math skills are exactly as good as I expected

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
For me, it was Art of Wrestling, and I Want Wrestling (remember that loving poo poo?) before I just subbed to the observer.

Also thread should get renamed back to its old name to celebrate 1000 pages.

"Howsitgoingeverybodybryanalvarezhere..."

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Jerusalem posted:

If we make a new thread the second post should be reserved for Dave pics.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Colt Cabana started the wrestlers doing podcasts thing back when he was released from WWE. Austin's was the first to be recognized by WWE.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Voices of Wrestling's Flagship is 4 hours long an hour of that being what I assume is Lanza yelling at how bad the main event is going to be

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

achillesforever6 posted:

Voices of Wrestling's Flagship is 4 hours long an hour of that being what I assume is Lanza yelling at how bad the main event is going to be

i'm deep into the second hour and it hasn't been brought up once and we're ten minutes into a cranberries (the band) tangent.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Bless https://twitter.com/PrichardShow/status/921431436439293952

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

heel Doink had so much potential.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Sempervive today asked Bryan,"Do you think Lucha Underground has rewatch value?"

Well I say he said that, what he actually said was,"Let me ask you a question, because you did watch all of it, and it did turn me off and a lot of what was around it too was like this isn't worth my time for as because for as great as of a wrestling as was on there and was hyped up to be on there there was a lot more in other places without a lot of the extra baggage uhh that was around there and I think that's the way of most people ended up going but what kind of replay value because it is going to be on Netflix and it was a very unique show with very unique stories and obviously things that they did in it where the actual professional wrestling in-ring part was basically on the backburner sometimes when it came to all the other stuff going on for you and I guess for fans do you think this has rewatch value as a traditional TV series does or is this in your opinion in the pro-wrestling category where you can go back and watch a little bit later on things like that but you don't necessarily watch the same weekly TV you can't rewatch it over and over and over again?"

Bryan's reply was,"I don't know."

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
my brain just shuts down every time semp talks now

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I don't know the answer to that question.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

I do

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Some primo Alvarez fantasy booking during the B&V recap of last night’s main event

Jason Jordan turns on Kurt Angle, reveals his real father is actually Booker T

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I loved his bit about wanting Jordan/Elias' feud to be because Elias took too many items into the checkout line at the supermarket and THAT is why he started throwing vegetables at him.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Also Otis Dozovic as squished Braun Strowman

He was pretty much on fire tonight

E: that was Vinny’s idea I guess

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
I learned that evolvement is a word and Dave used it correctly.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

St Evan Echoes posted:

Otis Dozovic as squished Braun Strowman
I never knew how badly I wanted to see that until I heard him say it. My god.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

He brought it up again on WOR and Dave popped for it, it was great

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Jerusalem posted:

Sempervive today asked Bryan,"Do you think Lucha Underground has rewatch value?"

Well I say he said that, what he actually said was,"Let me ask you a question, because you did watch all of it, and it did turn me off and a lot of what was around it too was like this isn't worth my time for as because for as great as of a wrestling as was on there and was hyped up to be on there there was a lot more in other places without a lot of the extra baggage uhh that was around there and I think that's the way of most people ended up going but what kind of replay value because it is going to be on Netflix and it was a very unique show with very unique stories and obviously things that they did in it where the actual professional wrestling in-ring part was basically on the backburner sometimes when it came to all the other stuff going on for you and I guess for fans do you think this has rewatch value as a traditional TV series does or is this in your opinion in the pro-wrestling category where you can go back and watch a little bit later on things like that but you don't necessarily watch the same weekly TV you can't rewatch it over and over and over again?"

Bryan's reply was,"I don't know."

Which show is he on? Because I'm glad I don't listen to it.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
The incorrectly titled Wrestling Observer Live.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I know I'm late to the game here but the Nobodies fuckin rule dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

I wasn't listening to it back then, but didn't Trish Stratus have a regular hosting gig on the LAW back in the day? I guess that was regular radio and not a podcast though.

• Locked thread