Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
I'd like to know more about trans inclusion, while we are on the topic. I'll give an example to illustrate my question:

In The Adventure Zone, there was a female character, and at the end of the whole thing they looked back and talked about how seriously they had taken her depiction because she was trans. Except that it had literally never come up in the story even once that I can remember. They said when introducing the character that she had been assigned male at birth and then never referred to it again.

Maybe this is the best one can do, but to me it felt a bit off. It felt... exploitative, maybe? The idea that you can just say "oh and btw she was trans" and then pat yourself on the back for how sensitive and inclusive you are when I, a regular listener, had no idea she was supposed to be trans.

But at the same time, if you make every trans character have a story that is about being trans, that is a kind of essentialism and might show an inability to look past that one aspect of their identity to see their full humanity.

So what is the best way to do it? I'd particularly like to hear from the trans people here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

A trans friend has told me (while discussing media more generally than gaming podcasts) that if it would seem weird to include a scene to reassert that a particular character is cis/het, then it should seem equally weird to include a scene to reassert that they're queer or trans. I remember the sentence "it's not like you'd get to the end of a movie where the hero kisses his love interest and wonder why before that scene the movie never once pointed out that both of them were straight" coming up.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Oct 20, 2017

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Cis people need to stop telling transition narratives. Pretty much full stop. I’m glad to see more trans people in narratives written by cis people but I am so so done with them doing transition stories. THAT is the exploitative, objectifying, dehumanizing stuff.

So yeah, give me more trans characters who are good characters that happen to be trans. I haven’t listened to TAZ but it sounds like from what you’re saying the McElroys did just that. Great.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Arivia posted:

Cis people need to stop telling transition narratives. Pretty much full stop. I’m glad to see more trans people in narratives written by cis people but I am so so done with them doing transition stories. THAT is the exploitative, objectifying, dehumanizing stuff.

So yeah, give me more trans characters who are good characters that happen to be trans. I haven’t listened to TAZ but it sounds like from what you’re saying the McElroys did just that. Great.
It is really a lot of fun. Once you get past the first episode where the DM says some groggy dumb poo poo about the differences between 4e (which one of the brothers played) and 5e (which the game nominally uses). You know, bog-standard "everyone is a spellcaster" bs. It never comes up again.

There's also a lot of "a spell for every occasion" problem-solving, but I have heard it gets better on that count.

Regardless it's seriously the funniest, most entertaining rpg podcast I've listened to, with a good cast and great production values. Seriously the only actual play podcast that's kept my interest past a handful of episodes.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Arivia posted:

Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for. And I'm quite pleased with the answer that "yeah duh, it really is that simple." It's nice when things are that simple.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/OneShotRPG/status/921014628951449606

I don't know, maybe this is just me screaming into the void about people that don't matter (least of all myself), but I have an issue with D'Amato saying all that, in comparison to this:

https://twitter.com/OneShotRPG/status/920403693404639232

I mean, maybe he's just talking about the mechanics, and maybe there's supposed to be some kind of line drawn between what Mentzer did and the history of a pair of consultants on a printed book (to say nothing of the recent Chult problem, but I can't shake the feeling that one has to go hand-in-hand with the other.

EDIT: I want to be even clearer. I'm not saying he's insincere - I'm sure his heart is in the right place. I just think it's ... incomplete?

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Oct 20, 2017

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jimbozig posted:

Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for. And I'm quite pleased with the answer that "yeah duh, it really is that simple." It's nice when things are that simple.

And again I haven’t listened to it but if the discussion at the end you note is actually about them trying to get it right representation-wise, that’s not patting themselves on the back. That’s talking about getting it right and the effort that involves, which is good. That stuff can be tough, and I’ve heard about TAZ having representation issues in the past and working to solve them.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Arivia posted:

And again I haven’t listened to it but if the discussion at the end you note is actually about them trying to get it right representation-wise, that’s not patting themselves on the back. That’s talking about getting it right and the effort that involves, which is good. That stuff can be tough, and I’ve heard about TAZ having representation issues in the past and working to solve them.

Yeah, they were really good about making things more inclusive as the game went on. They really did an excellent job of that.

But what effort? In this case it didn't take any effort outside of literally half a sentence. A single clause, "...who was assigned male at birth," and then never mentioning it again. I guess maybe you mean the effort of listening to feedback and consulting with others to check that they are doing it right, even if the actual doing is dead simple. That makes sense to me. Is that what you mean?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Arivia posted:

Is there a right way to do this without being merely pandering?

I remember how in an old Werewolf sourcebook, a character's Roleplaying Notes ended with "You are gay. Your lover is [other NPC]." Is that all that should be said? I don't want to write a narrative about how an adventurer is hexcrawling because they got thrown out of their home for being trans and end up stereotyping, being exploitative or skeevy, etc.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Halloween Jack posted:

I remember how in an old Werewolf sourcebook, a character's Roleplaying Notes ended with "You are gay. Your lover is [other NPC]." Is that all that should be said? I don't want to write a narrative about how an adventurer is hexcrawling because they got thrown out of their home for being trans and end up stereotyping, being exploitative or skeevy, etc.

A problem that currently exists is that treating it as an everyday thing has mostly the same optics of people pandering to be able to say "we're progressive, see?". You just have to go with what feels right and if someone takes it in an unintended manner, have a conversation with them.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

SilverMike posted:

You just have to go with what feels right and if someone takes it in an unintended manner, have a conversation with them.
I'm sure that that will take the form of a sober dialogue among people who are all paying attention to the conversation, have a clear idea of what's actually being discussed, assume good faith on everyone else's part, and are extremely calm and normal, on Twitter.

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree

dwarf74 posted:

It is really a lot of fun. Once you get past the first episode where the DM says some groggy dumb poo poo about the differences between 4e (which one of the brothers played) and 5e (which the game nominally uses). You know, bog-standard "everyone is a spellcaster" bs. It never comes up again.

I absolutely adore TAZ, I finished it yesterday, but gently caress me listening to Griffin talk about how the fighter in 5E is amazing because he's the best at fighting when it's plainly obvious that in the podcast we're listening to right now the wizard is the one who has the most impact in fights is just really hard.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

gradenko_2000 posted:

I mean, maybe he's just talking about the mechanics, and maybe there's supposed to be some kind of line drawn between what Mentzer did and the history of a pair of consultants on a printed book (to say nothing of the recent Chult problem, but I can't shake the feeling that one has to go hand-in-hand with the other.

To be fair to him, that conversation (such as it was) was specifically about mechanics. It sprang from the whole Dan Harmon article where the author claims that he claims that roleplaying development had been "stagnant" and everyone who knew anything about RPGs got a bit narked.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

potatocubed posted:

To be fair to him, that conversation (such as it was) was specifically about mechanics. It sprang from the whole Dan Harmon article where the author claims that he claims that roleplaying development had been "stagnant" and everyone who knew anything about RPGs got a bit narked.

Yeah, I get that completely, and I wrote all that because I acknowledge that he's not really talking about the same thing at the time.

(and, regarding that Kotaku article, Dan Harmon was dead wrong, of course)

I guess that in general I'm more than a little disappointed that D&D 5e is so popular, given its parentage.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Kurieg posted:

They did the same thing with the oracle iconic, she's trans and it doesn't come up anywhere.

Paizo's attempts at representation are aggressively 'mark all the boxes', particularly with that character. As others have brought up, instead of designing characters that are good that happen to be LGBTQA, they run through the laundry list of labels and apply them haphazardly. Trans? Check. Person with disabilities? Check.

And so on and so forth. For some reason, they don't seem to get that 'token' is a label you can apply to characteristics other than 'black' and it's just as bad.

gradenko_2000 posted:

(and, regarding that Kotaku article, Dan Harmon was dead wrong, of course)

Could you link that article, preferably in a non-Kotaku format (I've hated going to their site since they made summer interns fall on swords to generate traffic)? I need a bit of schadenfreude today to see a guys nerds slobber over be wrong.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
(My mistake, it was Polygon, not Kotaku)

Video games had to evolve for tabletop gaming appeal to be understood, says Dan Harmon

quote:

Dan Harmon is best known for creating series like Rick and Morty and Community, but one of his biggest passions is Dungeons & Dragons; so much so that he created an entire series dedicated to playing it with his friends.

HarmonQuest, which began on NBC’s streaming service, Seeso, before moving to VRV for its second season, follows Harmon and his friend, Spencer Crittenden, as they play Pathfinder with different celebrities. Each episode includes a contained game and the focus is more on the debauchery that can occur when playing Dungeons & Dragons than the actual game itself.

There’s been a rise in attention toward Dungeons & Dragons in recent years. Shows like Community and Stranger Things have catapulted Dungeons & Dragons into being cool, but Harmon told Polygon at New York Comic Con that it’s the rapid success of celebratory conventions and the current state of video games that helped bring tabletop games into the realm of even being considered cool.

Harmon believes that because video games became sophisticated faster, while tabletop remained stagnant in their design, people wrote off the medium completely. It’s only now, when games have become so entirely different, Harmon says, that people are beginning to understand why tabletop gaming has always been so enamoring.

“The more important thing is, whereas video games between the late ‘80s to now were becoming so sophisticated, people kept assuming if tabletop gaming was capable of having that level of sophistication, than it would have that, and therefore it was obsolete,” Harmon. “We’ve now hit a tipping point with games like Skyrim where you can truly experience that level of sophistication electronically and that’s when you really realize how completely different the appeal is for tabletop gaming. It started to feel like if you were tabletop gaming, that you were doing something old and pointless.

“Now it feels like you’re riding a bike instead of driving a car and it’s a totally different thing.”

That’s not to ignore one of the biggest factors in the resurgence of games like Dungeons & Dragons: nostalgia. Shows like Stranger Things have bought into the grand appeal of what Dungeons & Dragons represented for a generation. It’s the type of nostalgia, Harmon jokes, that only those who weren’t around during the period they’re infatuated with.

“I hung out with [Stranger Things creators] the Duffer brothers for a night, found out how young they were and was like, ‘What’s going on here?’ And they were like, ‘I don’t know, I’m just kind of fascinated with that era.’ Yeah, because you weren’t there,” Harmon said. “In the ‘90s, we got really interested in the ‘60s. I think some of these younger folks are more interested in the ‘80s.”

It’s all worked out for Harmon, however, whose show has found an audience for those who want to get in on the trend.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Saguaro PI posted:

I absolutely adore TAZ, I finished it yesterday, but gently caress me listening to Griffin talk about how the fighter in 5E is amazing because he's the best at fighting when it's plainly obvious that in the podcast we're listening to right now the wizard is the one who has the most impact in fights is just really hard.

I'm only halfway through the backlog and Travis has already made it a running theme in his goofs about how bad the 5e's designers hosed up, that for a literal year and a half of his life his options and abilities in fights are severely gimped because he made the mistake of picking the class called Fighter.

He's literally experiencing Angel Summoner and BMX Bandit syndrome in real time. With one character actually summoning angels*.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Adding to the frustration, the point about video games and table top being different things is correct, he's just completely off base about how to get there.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

RE: FFG and progressiveness, it isn't exactly a hugely progressive step so much as a huge step up from where AEG had been but they stopped using a literal racial slur in L5R to refer to the lowest caste.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
So, Paizo has their lesbian (and of course it's lesbians, two men kissing still rustles grog jimmies) couple iconic or whatever, but does Golarion material address how gay/trans people exist in their various not-Earthly cultures? It's a fantasy world that's a lot more egalitarian than real feudal monarchies I imagine though I am also not expecting full universal marriage equality or whatever. One thing I liked in Exalted 1E waaaaay back in the day was that they bothered to mention this at all, they didn't make a huge point of it but it was something that was considered when describing marital and sexual customs. When people talk about inclusion, that's actually more of what I'm looking for.

All TSR's worlds ignored gay people officially for years and may still be doing so no matter what Greenwood intimates at convention panels.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

occamsnailfile posted:

It's a fantasy world that's a lot more egalitarian than real feudal monarchies I imagine though I am also not expecting full universal marriage equality or whatever.

Why not? It's what you should expect and demand. There's no reason for a fantasy setting to not be like that.

E: Like, I can think of some reasons for a setting to not be that, but it absolutely should be the option that needs to be justified and explained, rather than the norm.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

In a world with wizard morality I assume that whatever non wizards do is only curtailed in so far as it may impact wizards. Want to marry a dude who used to be a different due who was once a tree? Go for it. Want to sell me a spell component ruby worth only 49 pieces of gold instead of 50? Death.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/MTBlack2567/status/921186189389869056

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jimbozig posted:

Yeah, they were really good about making things more inclusive as the game went on. They really did an excellent job of that.

But what effort? In this case it didn't take any effort outside of literally half a sentence. A single clause, "...who was assigned male at birth," and then never mentioning it again. I guess maybe you mean the effort of listening to feedback and consulting with others to check that they are doing it right, even if the actual doing is dead simple. That makes sense to me. Is that what you mean?

Yes, that's exactly what I mean. It's certainly a fraught thing to include right now, so good on them for doing it.

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't think pandering is the right term, because you're not just doing it to make your audience happy without any virtue otherwise. Inclusion is worthwhile.

I think you're right to say that you could probably do a bit more - but as AlphaDog pointed out, you don't really need to put in trans poo poo for the purposes of just talking about trans lives. A trans werewolf character probably doesn't need details on how they get hormones or whatever, but of course their ties to other characters are relevant. Include things that matter to your game as you would with any gaming product, don't make it your level 30 genderqueer elf mage. Note that when I said cis people should stop writing transition narratives that refers specifically to the narrative of transitioning and focusing on that - I and most other trans people are just so done with Transparent and the Danish Girl and all that junk.

Your hexcrawling trans person is fine I think, because you're using those details to inform their place in the game at large. And it's a problem that a lot of trans people face, but just including it isn't anything bad. It would be exploitative and skeevy if you said they're hexcrawling because they're a sex worker who wants to get more clients (since that's a stereotype about trans people.)

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

There are also some open questions: if you're making a game and want the art to be inclusive...well, a trans woman and a cis woman have no visible cues that are going to show in the art. Even less than sexuality, since you can easily have a peaceful scene have a pair of gay or lesbian characters holding hands. You can write iconic characters and specifically note that they're trans, I suppose, but not every game is going to have iconic characters.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Barudak posted:

In a world with wizard morality I assume that whatever non wizards do is only curtailed in so far as it may impact wizards. Want to marry a dude who used to be a different due who was once a tree? Go for it. Want to sell me a spell component ruby worth only 49 pieces of gold instead of 50? Death.

Nah, with a unassailable ruling class, they can impose whatever morality they feel like, no matter how stupid, obnoxious, or reprehensible. What's the point of power if you can't use it to lord over other people?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

occamsnailfile posted:

So, Paizo has their lesbian (and of course it's lesbians, two men kissing still rustles grog jimmies) couple iconic or whatever, but does Golarion material address how gay/trans people exist in their various not-Earthly cultures? It's a fantasy world that's a lot more egalitarian than real feudal monarchies I imagine though I am also not expecting full universal marriage equality or whatever. One thing I liked in Exalted 1E waaaaay back in the day was that they bothered to mention this at all, they didn't make a huge point of it but it was something that was considered when describing marital and sexual customs. When people talk about inclusion, that's actually more of what I'm looking for.

All TSR's worlds ignored gay people officially for years and may still be doing so no matter what Greenwood intimates at convention panels.

The same Paizo book that introduced the trans iconic also included a magic item for transitioning, and they published fiction discussing her place in dwarven society on their website at the time.

For trans people in human societies, look at the background of Anevia Tirabade, the first trans character Paizo published in Adventure Path #73. It talks about what her life has been like and so on. It's actually really well done because it likely directly comes up in play to illustrate something about the setting of the adventure, not to just go "look she's trans!" (The PCs find the holy sword her lover sold so that she could transition in a demon hideout, which frequently leads to an uncomfortable conversation that shows how corrupted this nation of crusaders facing endless demons is.) Notably though, that same AP volume doesn't really talk about her being a lesbian and just passes on it. Still, Amber Scott tried - and she obviously cares, she was also responsible for including the trans character in Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear that got Gamergate all upset.

edit: These are from like four years ago though, obviously Paizo has changed their tune since then.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ratoslov posted:

Nah, with a unassailable ruling class, they can impose whatever morality they feel like, no matter how stupid, obnoxious, or reprehensible. What's the point of power if you can't use it to lord over other people?

Given usually wizards are farting around in their towers doing whatever they dont seem like the sort of hands on micromanager types where they really care what exactly his support staff get up to. They appoint a king and tell him to go at it and as long as the silver powder keeps flowing he doesnt care.

This is, why I assume adventurers get hired and ruins are everywhere. Ruins are leftovers from wizards who died and adventurers are sub contracters to help supply the king with wizard materials.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Ratoslov posted:

Would they care to? They've got schemes and research and poo poo to do. Heck, there's a whole RPG based around "Going outside? Meeting the unwashed masses? I have people for that, thank you very much!"

Who can say the ruling wizard/s isn't/aren't gay themselves and thus the only dialogue they have for someone preaching about their plane's Sodom and Gomorrah is "Power Word: Kill"?

Who's to say that the wizard doesn't get up to sexual moores(so?) that makes pansexuality or having multiple partners "pale in comparison"? Every diabolist is in it for the harem of sub/incubi, don't try to convince me otherwise.

Extreme rules based around the worth of rubies or diamonds or bat guano annual production rates makes more sense than having rules about lifestyles - imagine Saudi Arabia but it's bat's poo poo instead of oil.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

LashLightning posted:

Who can say the ruling wizard/s isn't/aren't gay themselves and thus the only dialogue they have for someone preaching about their plane's Sodom and Gomorrah is "Power Word: Kill"?

Who's to say that the wizard doesn't get up to sexual moores(so?) that makes pansexuality or having multiple partners "pale in comparison"? Every diabolist is in it for the harem of sub/incubi, don't try to convince me otherwise.
Have you heard of Peter Thiel?

The best you can assume is that godlike wizards would be like Rhialto and his gentleman's club in The Dying Earth, benignly presiding over a post-apocalyptic world. The worst is that whatever they do in their own private lives would be irrelevant to the draconian geohell they'd impose on everyone else to squeeze out every last drop of profit. Like in the real world.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
I think you mean "Actual Dracula Peter Thiel"

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

So, uh, you're aware of the social issues in Saudi Arabia, right

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Mors Rattus posted:

Holy poo poo I missed that bit entirely.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Mors Rattus posted:

I did think about that - I was too enamored with a country's economy built on fecal material.

Also, there's a ton of politics featured in that situation - apparently my dear ol' blighty had a hand in forging that situation back in the late 1800s/early 1900s - and I didn't think people would go to that length for their Elfgames.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

occamsnailfile posted:

I’m pretty sure Ed Greenwood’s definition of a gay character is something along the lines of “buxom sex goddess having hot lesbian threesome with Ed Greenwood Elminster”.

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

Also, Peter Thiel is a vampire, not a wizard.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I'm just saying, when you point at a country whose mores and laws are built almost entirely on industry and profit with no care for social issues beyond that, Saudi Arabia's not it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Comrade Koba posted:

I’m pretty sure Ed Greenwood’s definition of a gay character is something along the lines of “buxom sex goddess having hot lesbian threesome with Ed Greenwood Elminster”.

No, not at all. He’s been sneaking gay and trans characters past TSR and WotC for years now.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Mors Rattus posted:

I'm just saying, when you point at a country whose mores and laws are built almost entirely on industry and profit with no care for social issues beyond that, Saudi Arabia's not it.

Yeah, my bad. Sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Arivia posted:

No, not at all. He’s been sneaking gay and trans characters past TSR and WotC for years now.

The impression I got from Greenwood's writing on the subject is of exasperation. Like 'in a world with literal gods, multiple sentient races, and magic that can change literally anything, you think people are hung up over sexuality?'

• Locked thread