Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I got to the ice area in Spelunky a couple times but always got destroyed without making much progress. That game is just a little too far on the punishing side of the spectrum for me to want to finish it, but I enjoyed what I played of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Kanfy posted:

Funny, I also beat Spelunky, Rogue Legacy and NecroDancer exactly once but never did anything extra after that in those either.

I usually play games only once, not even games I liked unless I really, really liked them.
I almost got to the City of Gold once in Spelunky, but then some bullshit killed me literally right in front of the door and I realized the process to get there was not fun at all and never bothered to try it again.

raditts fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 20, 2017

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I bought Dawn of War 3 for 20 dollars so I hope I didn't just royally gently caress up and can get some enjoyment out of it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah of all the games on that list Spelunky is like the absolute king of "I died instantly and there was nothing I could do about it"

edit: It's so notorious of a phenomenon that it has an entry on the spelunky wiki for when you die in a hilariously stupid and convoluted way, but imo it's fine because rounds of that game take like 20 minutes if you make it to the end

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

CJacobs posted:

This is how I beat it, and then I looked at the cheevo for doing so without ever picking up and gold and I just laughed and muttered like kurtz at the end of heart of darkness

gently caress that cheeve so hard

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
What is "the hard way" to beat Spelunky?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It's pretty easy to beat spelunky consistently once you're familiar with all the enemies/traps + get good at killing shopkeepers

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I made peace with realizing that I would not beat the majority of these games the same time I also realized that I would not accomplish everything that I would want to in real life.

Help Im Alive posted:

It's pretty easy to beat spelunky consistently once you're familiar with all the enemies/traps + get good at killing shopkeepers

Also like in real life.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Olive! posted:

Basically you have to do a bunch of poo poo as you progress to unlock a fifth world and a second final boss. Its much, much harder than beating it the normal way. I don't think it was in the original free version of the game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nuclear throne is the only rouglike I'm good at, it got to where most attempts I could get loop 1 if I was using my main (YV)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Well I did a lot of crap in bonding of Isaac too but I never got very good at it, you play that game enough times and you'll just become a god due to RNG one run and effortlessly waltz through all the bonus bosses

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

CJacobs posted:

Yeah of all the games on that list Spelunky is like the absolute king of "I died instantly and there was nothing I could do about it"

edit: It's so notorious of a phenomenon that it has an entry on the spelunky wiki for when you die in a hilariously stupid and convoluted way, but imo it's fine because rounds of that game take like 20 minutes if you make it to the end

I don't think this is true, very nearly 100% of deaths in Spelunky are perfectly avoidable if you know the game well enough, play carefully enough and are skilled enough to avoid getting hit.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Olive! posted:

if you do some very difficult stuff to collect three specific items you can unlock a secret level called the city of gold, and if you collect a certain item from there (which spawns a boss enemy) and bring it to the end boss, it will make a door appear while the boss is dying and whose sinking head needs to be used as a platform to enter, which will get you to a secret extra set of floors, at the end of which is an even harder and more insane final boss.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I did beat Rogue Legacy and it was for me a quite joyless experience. never give in to the sunk cost fallacy, people.

In the last couple days I had a bunch of bad games removed permanently from my Steam account, which not only felt good, but it improved my Steamcompletionist % and now it's like, only games I want to play right in front of me

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

https://twitter.com/NinDailyNews/status/921345511847755776
need to get this amiibo...

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

precision posted:

crossdressing for laughs is incredibly hard to do right.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

finally he is marryo

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
What makes it for laughs? Why can't Mario just wear a dress just because

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the end of mario odyssey they finally reveal that there is no princess peach, mario has been metaphorically trying to rescue a part of himself all along

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I think bowser probably represents mario's dad, and bowser jr is mario's half brother that his dad always liked way more

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I hope that Super Mario Odyssey addresses the connection (or lack of one) between the interdimensional Rabbid invaders and the "rabbit" wedding planners in their game

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

CJacobs posted:

This is how I beat it, and then I looked at the cheevo for doing so without ever picking up and gold and I just laughed and muttered like kurtz at the end of heart of darkness

ah.... you mean... THIS chester cheevo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlNAyAzEURY

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

it ain't easy gettin' cheevies

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

hey payday 2 how about you stop telling me about an event like every day

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

homeless snail posted:

I think bowser probably represents mario's dad, and bowser jr is mario's half brother that his dad always liked way more

What do the koopa kids represent?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Mario does the thing where he turns away from the camera and puts his arms around himself, pretending to be making out. Bowser does not chuckle for his arms are too short to do the same

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

chumbler posted:

What do the koopa kids represent?
the time mario's dad became the coach of his junior high baseball team, and made mario wash jockstraps while taking all the other players out for pizza

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I made an opus magnum thread in yospos if anyone is interested https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3838115

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

my desire to post about opus magnum is not stronger than my desire to not post in yospos

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

Zelda 1 spoiler warning for the other person who said they were gonna do a drawn map run of it

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Now play all of them in the appropriate order and draw the timeline.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

chumbler posted:

It's dangerous to go alone, take this 3D printing drawing pen that lets you lift off the paper, you will literally need it

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

chumbler posted:

Nice try, satan.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
What's the difference between a Super Shroom that Mario et al would use to heal with and a Toad/resident of the Toadstool Kingdom? Are they divergent evolutionary paths? A form of caste system? If a Toad is wounded, would eating a mushroom be seen as cannibalism and, if so, how does their society react to it? These questions and many more answered in my new self-published book "Mario on Shrooms," available in time for Christmas. (14,000 pages, $9.99)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

chumbler posted:

Working on it. Four Swords Adventure down (the toilet). I've finished Minish Cap a while ago so that means Twilight Princess (the HD release of course) is next on the docket.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's dangerous to go alone, take my thesis on how the timelines of wind waker and ocarina of time converge to create the world in breath of the wild

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The first trip into the dark world was like the spookiest thing every when I first played SH

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

al-azad posted:

Working on it. Four Swords Adventure down (the toilet). I've finished Minish Cap a while ago so that means Twilight Princess (the HD release of course) is next on the docket.

i want to like tp more than i do but it's always felt so bland

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Nintendo should make a new franchise where it's all sci-fi and about restructuring time with superscience except you spend the whole game just loving with this one backwater planet where everyone still fights with swords, resetting the timeline slightly differently each time some wuss in green manages to find a macguffin and kill your enforcer on the planet.

• Locked thread