Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

McClellan gets a bad rap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

SHOAH NUFF posted:

I'm about 40% through my Civil War book (Antietam just happened) and I feel like such a historian right now, ask me about how Stonewall Jackson's furious marching pace during his Shenandoah Valley Campaign or about how much of a simple bitch McClellan was...I'll tell you

This is the awesome and terrible thing about reading history books. There's so much stuff that's interesting but unless someone else is either reading the same book or really into that era of history you don't have anyone to talk to about it.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Shaun King is a bit of a twat and may or may not be the male version of Rachel Dolezal

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Eli Wiggum posted:

Shaun King is a bit of a twat and may or may not be the male version of Rachel Dolezal

he's the level of woke where it becomes a bit much yeah but his heart is in the right place

FizFashizzle posted:

he justifiably does because the job of a general in that time is to build and then use an army, and he was amazing at the first half and trash garbage at the second

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Eli Wiggum posted:

yeah i forgot what was so bad about him, i know there's something

also he sullied the name of a quarterback with a ring

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Eli Wiggum posted:

He got a bunch of c'ville Nazis arrested though so

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

imagine if Kearny didn't get murked

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Grittybeard posted:

This is the awesome and terrible thing about reading history books. There's so much stuff that's interesting but unless someone else is either reading the same book or really into that era of history you don't have anyone to talk to about it.

Yah I really want to talk about it

McClellan gets a bad rap because he did have some strengths, mainly he was incredible at organizing and preparing an army to fight and the Army of the Potomac owed him a lot for that, also soldiers liked him. But he was a pretty garbage field commander and got repeatedly clowned on by Lee and Jackson, McClellan was obsessed with his own reputation and was scared of losing battles. Had someone like Grant or Meade been in charge of the Army of Potomac in 1861-62 the war may have ended earlier

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

McClellan understood the war would turn into a remorseless grinder and was very hopeful the political process would see it through the end.

Grant otoh gladly sent his own soldiers into forest fires so long as he got good press.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Biggest problem with Shaun King is I'll get 27 new tweets and it's him retweeting a really long thread instead of just tweeting the first one and letting me know it's a thread to click on.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Also McClellan was super jealous of other Union generals and in his letters to his wife he frequently wished for them to lose battles so he could look better by comparison

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Also McClellan was super jealous of other Union generals and in his letters to his wife he frequently wished for them to lose battles so he could look better by comparison

Oh no not a vain civil war general.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
The knock I read on Shaun King (the link to which I don't have handy) is that he exploited a movement (BLM) to build his brand, and people who have worked with/under him say that he isn't as passionate about the cause as his Twitter might make you believe.

But in any case props to him for exposing a bunch of Nazis and getting them arrested

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

FizFashizzle posted:

Oh no not a vain civil war general.

Jeb Stuart’s cavalry circumnavigated (I don’t know the best word) McClellans army several times while scouting it which I’ve read is one of the most amateur things you can let happen!! gently caress McClellan!

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ehud posted:

Biggest problem with Shaun King is I'll get 27 new tweets and it's him retweeting a really long thread instead of just tweeting the first one and letting me know it's a thread to click on.

I'm not really that into twitter but isn't this kind of the same problem Bomani Jones has?

Well I guess Bomani is just willing to argue with anyone and everyone more than being bad at how twitter works.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Eli Wiggum posted:

The knock I read on Shaun King (the link to which I don't have handy) is that he exploited a movement (BLM) to build his brand, and people who have worked with/under him say that he isn't as passionate about the cause as his Twitter might make you believe.

But in any case props to him for exposing a bunch of Nazis and getting them arrested

That sounds more like DeRay to be honest.

Shaun King's always been a bit of a dingus, but his heart's seemed like it's been in the right place when he pops up. I don't follow him though, for reasons pretty similar to Ehud's.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Jeb Stuart’s cavalry circumnavigated (I don’t know the best word) McClellans army several times while scouting it which I’ve read is one of the most amateur things you can let happen!! gently caress McClellan!

McClellans biggest mistake was taking like six months to take a fort that was dendefded by three dudes from Georgia.

Best generals of the war were Cleburne and Sherman fight me.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

FizFashizzle posted:

Skipped a page and was totally ready to get mad about Shea McClellan.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

FizFashizzle posted:

Best generals of the war were Cleburne and Sherman fight me.

It's Lee and Sherman. Lee is widely considered the best tactician the US Army has ever produced. Sherman is the ruthless type that actually wins wars.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

It's Lee and Sherman. Lee is widely considered the best tactician the US Army has ever produced. Sherman is the ruthless type that actually wins wars.

Lee is over venerated because all his contemporaries worshipped him.

Sherman once saw cleburnes flag across the battlefield, said “gently caress this,” and made a business decision.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

To be fair from what I gather Lee has one really big fuckup on his resume. Which might not be entirely his fault since he might not have had an accurate picture of the field, but is still his fault since it's his job to make sure he has that picture.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Lol Pickett hid behind a church

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Is Shaun King the QB Shaun King

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Yeah Lee was a huge gambler who would frequently split his army up when a larger Union army was nearby, which conventional military strategy says is suicide and dumb. McClellan would never attack or seize on the opportunity (Lee knew McClellan's nature and that factored into his gambles) to destroy Lee's split up forces

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Most interesting part of the civil war was all of these dudes knew each other. They all went to West Point with one another.

And they all knew Sherman straight up didn’t give a gently caress.

Sherman’s first station was pacifying seminoles in Florida. Ever summer they’d surrender and draw up peace terms, then every fall they’d start fighting again. Of course In the summer it was too hot for federal troops to consolidate their gains so they just sat there in the shade.

This went on for years until Sherman got there. First time they pulled that poo poo on him he burned all their crops, slaughtered their livestock, and burned their families homes to the ground.

Seminoles surrendered for real once he got there.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

A Man and his dog posted:

I would like to request an in-juncture that I should be allowed to post in the chat thread.

Judge Colts fan guy, I never did anything bad to warrant this behavior. I have served my time. I ask on you're behalf my honor that the punishment be lifted.

Please refer to my attorney Adolfan.

Thank you.

I'm guessing you got banned from discord again?

If you can convince the majority (7) of a Jury of your peers to say "Yes", then you can come back to the Chat thread:

There are your 12 angry men. You can have 1 post in this thread to plead your case to them, make it a good one. Votes can be sent to my PM box, or made in the thread if you prefer. Votes must be in before the Washington Redskins LOSE another game or the vote will be counted as a NO.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

FizFashizzle posted:

Lee is over venerated because all his contemporaries worshipped him.

Sherman once saw cleburnes flag across the battlefield, said “gently caress this,” and made a business decision.

That isn't the only reason. He took a vastly outnumbered and under-supplied army and won every single battle he engaged but 1 and held the inevitable off for 4 full years until his army was so depleted he had no choice but to surrender. He was a gifted field commander, and a brilliant planner. There's a reason why he was venerated by his contemporaries. He was still a treasonous bastard though.

Sherman is really fascinating to me. His tactics foreshadowed both world wars.

Grittybeard posted:

To be fair from what I gather Lee has one really big fuckup on his resume. Which might not be entirely his fault since he might not have had an accurate picture of the field, but is still his fault since it's his job to make sure he has that picture.

Yeah, Gettysburg was the beginning of the end for him. He never recovered his confidence in his subordinates.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
my favorite Civil War commander is Nathaniel Lyon, he seemed like a real badass and its a shame he died so early in the war

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Athanatos posted:

If you can convince the majority (7) of a Jury of your peers to say "Yes", then you can come back to the Chat thread:

There are your 12 angry men. You can have 1 post in this thread to plead your case to them, make it a good one. Votes can be sent to my PM box, or made in the thread if you prefer. Votes must be in before the Washington Redskins LOSE another game or the vote will be counted as a NO.

Mod challenges are the best

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Haha, loving Mel.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i somehow never noticed the first ! in NC-17's new name before now

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Everything I know about the Civil War, I learned from reading Grey Hunter's let's plays of Civil War grognard games on SA. Which sounds ridiculous, but those threads always attract hordes of history goons who post endlessly about all the generals and battles and guns and etc. etc. of the real war, and compare them to what's happening in the thread, in between roleplaying as the various generals. So if you read the thread you wind up getting a piecemeal view of the war through dozens of different accounts and conversations and stuff, and I imagine that's how contemporaries of the war back home probably had to piece together what was going on, too.

Athanatos posted:

Lol I don't know this guy at all and have no opinion about his past transgressions so I guess that actually makes me a good juror?

finally I won some power as a result of :justpost:ing endlessly

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Need to present the evidence of an artisnal burrito.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Leperflesh posted:

finally I won some power as a result of :justpost:ing endlessly

I'm jealous that I missed the cut by like 8 posts.

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

For the record, he's banned from the Discord until the Redskins win a game, so this works out.

For those wondering, yes he was banned again for taking creep pics of customers and claiming they hit on him but he turned it down. Also lying a ton. I leave it up to the jury.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

BTW the skins are currently +4.5 vs the Eagles this Sunday Monday according to Vegas (which means betting is projecting they're going to lose by about 4.5 points)
http://www.oddsshark.com/nfl/washington-philadelphia-odds-october-23-2017-788503

e. that's not actually exactly what the spread means but w/e

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Oct 20, 2017

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
https://twitter.com/julianassange/status/921460341103620096

When you’re not mad

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/WWE/status/921461747130740736

i'm shocked it took this long

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Athanatos posted:

I would like to suggest that the votes be public in the thread with also full paragraph responses on why they're yes or no. Feel free to write more than a paragraph however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Athanatos posted:

Haha, this owns.

Additionally, this....

FizFashizzle posted:

Lol if you haven’t started a story with “yeah I got a buddy...” only to realize you were talking about someone from tff
is adorable.

• Locked thread